Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Going F2P?

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Pure click bait.

ESO is doing well and has no reason to og F2P any time soon.

And the console release isn't going to change that. FFXIV is currently among the best selling games on PS4 and it has a Subscription.

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220

what kind of free to play are we talking about here??

if it is like swtor, then it is by no means free, u cant play swtor as free account too many limitations.

is it gonna be like gw2 and b2p

or like rift actually free to play with sub ppl have some extra stuff and less grind to do

when we say it might go f2p, the type of it, is what matters the most. 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    LOL, the ESO *community* doesn't want it... I hate to tell you this, but in business, you're looking to expand your business at all times.  It's those people who aren't playing ESO that they are looking to reel in.  If they can get them using F2P, they'll use it.  You switch business models mid-stream to save what the bean counters already have predicted will become unsustainable if action isn't taken soon.  You don't wait until you only have 5 subscribers left to do this... so just because you aren't alone in the instance, doesn't mean the world isn't about to change.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Pure click bait.

And the console release isn't going to change that. FFXIV is currently among the best selling games on PS4 and it has a Subscription.

the best part of it is that all three platforms (pc, ps3, ps4) play on the same servers. If only ZoS could do that with either MS/PC, or Sony/PC.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Pure click bait.

the best part of it is that all three platforms (pc, ps3, ps4) play on the same servers. If only ZoS could do that with either MS/PC, or Sony/PC.

Microsoft is unwilling to open their network for cross platform support. So DCUO and FFXIV are only available on PC and PS3 / PS4.

Square Enix really wants to release FFXIV for XBOX One and is still in negotiation with Microsoft. SE has always firmly stated that they want everyone to play on the same servers and if they cannot offer that on XBOX, they not going to release it on that platform.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Didnt zenimax say a long time ago that ESO would start off as a p2p game for some months and then move to f2p? Or has everyone silently forgotten? Gamespot posted an article about it on their site

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Pure click bait.

Microsoft is unwilling to open their network for cross platform support. So DCUO and FFXIV are only available on PC and PS3 / PS4.

Square Enix really wants to release FFXIV for XBOX One and is still in negotiation with Microsoft. SE has always firmly stated that they want everyone to play on the same servers and if they cannot offer that on XBOX, they not going to release it on that platform.

yes, that only shows Microsoft is the one being all shitty about it. SONY is willing to do cross servers with PC (maybe not with XBOX but with PC). DCUO is not cross server between PC and playstation, i think they said the game is handled by two different company branches for each platform. SOE for PC, and someone else at SONY for PS.

Anyway, if Microsoft dont want to participate in cross server, thats their loss. Maybe ZoS could do the same as SE and have cross server exclusivity with Sony then. That would be another victory for SONY on the console side of the spectrum. Unless of course MS takes the initiative and get it first. If anyone of them works with ZoS (like SONY with SE) it can only be a win win for everyone.

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by APThug
    Didnt zenimax say a long time ago that ESO would start off as a p2p game for some months and then move to f2p? Or has everyone silently forgotten? Gamespot posted an article about it on their site

From that article:  ZeniMax will launch The Elder Scrolls Online with a monthly paid subscription model but will in time transition the title to free-to-play, according to Nicholas Lovell, founder of game consultancy firm Gamesbrief.

That dude never worked for ZOS or Bethesda.

That article (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/elder-scrolls-online-will-eventually-be-free-to-play-analyst/1100-6375882/) was also written in May of 2012, just under 2 years before the game released.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    and still no player housing announced.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

"We showed our dislike for the current Veteran system, so Zenimax has announced they’ll be redoing the Veteran leveling process, (...) Show me another company that is willing to redo their game design after it has been launched, solely because the players are not enjoying it."

Maybe that says more about the veteran content (slipshod addition to provide a long grind through identical, slightly tuned up content) than about Zenimax and them redoing their game design.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by bcbully

I had to look at the date of this article. 

I was watching the stream when he said that. In that same stream he laughed when people asked "for cash?!?!" and replied no, in game currency, vendor. 

I've seen better, more up to date articles from 18 post forum newbs to be honest. 

edit- Jessica, ESO community manager shortly after Paul Sages comments responded in the steam's chat "items for sale in season sets was with IN GAME currency. Not real life money".

I never thought about the meaning of "troll bait" before. I understand now. It's like I just had an epiphany. 

Is it any wonder that Reddit has become a better place to discuss anything related to ESO?

If this article isn't just unadulterated clickbait, it at the very least shows how oblivious mmorpg.com is to what's what in the ESO world.

Yes, in game vendor selling for gold, That was made clear immediately after Sage made that comment. But hey, let's ignore that part.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Ides385Ides385 Member UncommonPosts: 82

Yeah the gear is to be sold for in game currency, so half of this article is pointless.

How about bringing up the fact that all these updates and improvements wouldn't be possible unless it was subscription based.

That is a big reason why people want it to stay P2P.

If it went F2P (or B2P), you would get occasional tid bits of content. Nothing like they are doing now. So yeah at that point I would probably quit because there is nothing to look forward to. I've never been able to play a F2P game over a month or two because there is nothing to look forward to.

And no F2P is not the norm. It was a stupid fad that creates a lot of bad games. The best MMO's have been P2P because they've had strong development for years. Given ESO willingness to listen to its players, it has more promise then any MMO I've played since Ultima Online. 

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Not particulary interested in ESO, though i might check it out if it ever goes F2P. But: "Ingame currency" can mean everything. Neverwinter has like a hundred different ingame currencies. Ingame currency just means exactly that - a currency that only exists in the game. How you acquire it is a totally different thing.

While i don't think they meant this, given the backlash it would create, they technically wouldn't be wrong if the only way to acquire the ingame currency would be by cold hard cash.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Iselin

I was watching the stream when he said that. In that same stream he laughed when people asked "for cash?!?!" and replied no, in game currency, vendor. 

I've seen better, more up to date articles from 18 post forum newbs to be honest. 

edit- Jessica, ESO community manager shortly after Paul Sages comments responded in the steam's chat "items for sale in season sets was with IN GAME currency. Not real life money".

I never thought about the meaning of "troll bait" before. I understand now. It's like I just had an epiphany. 

Is it any wonder that Reddit has become a better place to discuss anything related to ESO?

If this article isn't just unadulterated clickbait, it at the very least shows how oblivious mmorpg.com is to what's what in the ESO world.

Yes, in game vendor selling for gold, That was made clear immediately after Sage made that comment. But hey, let's ignore that part.

But, are they planning on selling in game gold for cash in the shop at some point?  Doesn't make the game F2P, but wouldn't surprise me to see something like  this.

Total speculation I realize, no reason to go rabid fan-bois.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Anireth

Not particulary interested in ESO, though i might check it out if it ever goes F2P. But: "Ingame currency" can mean everything. Neverwinter has like a hundred different ingame currencies. Ingame currency just means exactly that - a currency that only exists in the game. How you acquire it is a totally different thing.

While i don't think they meant this, given the backlash it would create, they technically wouldn't be wrong if the only way to acquire the ingame currency would be by cold hard cash.

This is ridiculous and irresponsible by mmorpg.com.

Paul's comments were said at Quakecom in front of thousands of people. It was said w/o the thought that anyone would even mistake the comment as meaning sold for cash. ZOS responded to this directly, DIRECTLY. No cash. Think badges like WoW.

Don't you think there would have been an uproar? Don't you think any number of media outlets would have picked this up months ago? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I'm hoping for B2P then I will buy it.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    One can only hope.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Rift started a sub reward program before it went F2P. It's not outrageous to think Zenimax could do the same thing.
  • KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Dakirn
    Rift started a sub reward program before it went F2P. It's not outrageous to think Zenimax could do the same thing.

ESO already did start a reward program.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by APThug

Please refresh my memory with some sort of direct link to that article.

To me it aint silently forgotten, more like never ever read or heard about it.

Unless you heard the little snippet around 1:52 at http://www.gamespot.com/videos/why-do-mmorpg-subscription-fees-still-exist/2300-6420410/

Originally posted by Ides385

Yeah the gear is to be sold for in game currency, so half of this article is pointless.

How about bringing up the fact that all these updates and improvements wouldn't be possible unless it was subscription based.

That is a big reason why people want it to stay P2P.

If it went F2P (or B2P), you would get occasional tid bits of content. Nothing like they are doing now. So yeah at that point I would probably quit because there is nothing to look forward to. I've never been able to play a F2P game over a month or two because there is nothing to look forward to.

And no F2P is not the norm. It was a stupid fad that creates a lot of bad games. The best MMO's have been P2P because they've had strong development for years. Given ESO willingness to listen to its players, it has more promise then any MMO I've played since Ultima Online. 

We can bring this up time and again, but people are unwilling to see this.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Dakirn

Yup and now there is talk of them selling gear to players so they can catch up to others.  Rift also does that.  Since Rift is one of the most recent western MMO F2P convertees, ZOS might be using their template since Trion reported success with it.  This is what Simon Finch of Trion said about Rift going F2P:

“We just wanted to remove the barrier to entry that we had in RIFT. It was like opening the floodgates, it was pretty amazing,” Ffinch revealed.

“All I’ll say is that it [the free-to-play transition] has been really exciting, and has far exceeded our expectations and continues to do so. We thought we were going to see a lot of people leave, that were going to be upset by it, but I’m happy to say that didn’t happen.”

Maybe Paul Sage wants to be able to say the same thing?  I don't see why not.  Trion is happy with their transition I don't see why ZOS wouldn't be if they switched over as well.  If it brings in more players and more money, why not?  SWTOR and EA is another case in point. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Adjusting their business model could mean something as simple as introducing a F2P 1-20 experience.

I highly doubt they'll completely revamp their model at this stage, especially since things are on the up and up for ZOS and their subscriber count is definitely turning a profit for them.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Iselin

I have been slowly moving over to Reddit for my MMO fixes since this site has become an absolute cesspool (as further exemplified by the OP).

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Kyleran

But, are they planning on selling in game gold for cash in the shop at some point?  Doesn't make the game F2P, but wouldn't surprise me to see something like  this.

Total speculation I realize, no reason to go rabid fan-bois.

The problem is the staff here are now contributing to the current trend of trash posts.  There is no real discussion at all in these forums.  It's just post after post of utter garbage.

What is the purpose of this post?  It's pure speculation and offers no real discussion.  And to feature it as a column?  I have reached an age where spending time on this sort of bullshit is an utter waste of time.  I don't care what game it is.  Have some fucking integrity, MMORPG.  Stop creating bullshit posts and stooping to the level of the troll here which you are only so happy to issue a warning or ban.  Is it any wonder why this site has lost so many good members over the years?