Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion must be desperate.....

AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
checked my bank account 2 days ago, and it seems Trion helped themselves to 149.99 for an Archage pack that i never ordered, someone is using my details from when i payed and played rift like 5 years ago, i figured someone had hacked them, got my details and charged money to me, first thing i did was cancel that card, and was preparing to dispure it with my bank, but had to wait till the transaction had fully cleared before doing so, then i started getting a bunch of emails today saying error in completing your order from trion, like 6 emails in total today, the last being they have issued a refund for my purchase, that i never ever made... im still waiting to see if my bank account is credited with the money, and the added hassle of cancelling my card and having to wait for a new one to be issued has made me want to play Archeage even more now.... /sarcasm

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    im curious who even has the same card for 5 years, i know mine wear out and need to be replaced after about 8 months and everytime i get a new card it has a new number on it, even if it's linked to the same account.. even my credit cards, each time i get a new card my online banking accounts change numbers to show that my credit cards have new numbers.... i have no idea how you have kept a card for 5 years.
  • hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

I received the SAME email !!!!

I was like "wtf ? i haven't bought shit... " then googled about it to see if i was the only one, maybe my PC was hacked or something... turns out my cards information was still in my account !!!

I haven't been billed yet, i gues i won't really. But i'm sure they tried.

Lame business.

• AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    ludicrous my ass, there is money being deducted from my bank account under the guise of Trion Rift, for the purchase of a Trion Archeage founders pack, they obviously have my credit card details on file somewhere from years ago when i payed a sub for Rift, and now some newb in there has decided to charge me for a game i dont even wanna play, so all your bs about they "cant " do this and they " cant" do that, is ludicrous

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

More hacking reports .. this seems to be on a larger scale.

I wonder if Trion's accounts have been compromised directly or, which many seem to think, if there is a loophole in ArcheAge's client.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    im curious who even has the same card for 5 years, i know mine wear out and need to be replaced after about 8 months and everytime i get a new card it has a new number on it, even if it's linked to the same account.. even my credit cards, each time i get a new card my online banking accounts change numbers to show that my credit cards have new numbers.... i have no idea how you have kept a card for 5 years.

all cards in my country have like a 2 or 3 year expiry on them, that doesnt change all your details though, only gives you a new card if its damaged, when you 'cancel' a card like i just had to thinking i had been hacked, "then" you are issued new card number.

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by DMKano

Your accusation that game companies would intentionaly try to rip off their customers for $150 is ludicrous.

No game company would do this - as it's a loss of revenue (chargeback fees) and a loss of customer - also it's completely illegal.

So what do game companies do to protect themselves from their possible mistakes, or a rogue employee?

1. Game companies do NOT know your account password - yes - Trion has no freaking clue what your account password because it's encrypted in their systems

2. Billing info (such as paypal accounts and CC info) is not kept on any of their systems - game companies do this for security and for PCI compliance. So how do they retain your payment info month to month? - They don't - external billing companies actually retain your info - the game companies just use a secure token ID to associate a user account to external billing company - which actually keeps all that stuff on their secure payment processing systems.

So - in reality Trion CAN NOT initiate a new charge for your  account (repeating monthly charges are different - which again you have to setup yourself) - without your credentials (which they don't have) nor without your payment info - which again they don't have.

The more you know.

Billing companies can charge wrong users however - that can happen.

As another poster has mentioned, this has happened to several others on this site lately. I think another user's WoW account was also hacked, or at least suffered the same type of problem. It sounds to me less like game account hacking and more like the "billing company" or some link in the chain from the game company to the billing company has somehow been compromised.

Prepaid game timecards are looking more and more like the most secure payment method when you consider all these wannabe hackers and recent databreaches.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

Originally posted by Blaze_Rocker

Your accusation that game companies would intentionaly try to rip off their customers for $150 is ludicrous.

No game company would do this - as it's a loss of revenue (chargeback fees) and a loss of customer - also it's completely illegal.

So what do game companies do to protect themselves from their possible mistakes, or a rogue employee?

1. Game companies do NOT know your account password - yes - Trion has no freaking clue what your account password because it's encrypted in their systems

2. Billing info (such as paypal accounts and CC info) is not kept on any of their systems - game companies do this for security and for PCI compliance. So how do they retain your payment info month to month? - They don't - external billing companies actually retain your info - the game companies just use a secure token ID to associate a user account to external billing company - which actually keeps all that stuff on their secure payment processing systems.

So - in reality Trion CAN NOT initiate a new charge for your  account (repeating monthly charges are different - which again you have to setup yourself) - without your credentials (which they don't have) nor without your payment info - which again they don't have.

The more you know.

As another poster has mentioned, this has happened to several others on this site lately. I think another user's WoW account was also hacked, or at least suffered the same type of problem. It sounds to me less like game account hacking and more like the "billing company" or some link in the chain from the game company to the billing company has somehow been compromised.

Prepaid game timecards are looking more and more like the most secure payment method when you consider all these wannabe hackers and recent databreaches.

the thing is, 2 days later Trion admitted it was their fault, not hackers, not billing companies, but that was 2 days too late to stop me canceling my card and having to reset all the things that card was linked too, cause they rummaged around their data base, and decided to sell people items, they didnt want to buy in the first place

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Aparitionall cards in my country have like a 2 or 3 year expiry on them, that doesnt change all your details though

And why do you think there is an expiration date? It changes enough to make the card invalid...

Your lack of critical thinking is astounding but not surprising and so is your ego - yeah, definitely not a mistake that happens to anyone, an intention...

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957

Credit Cards are only valid for 3 years, until they issue a new one for three years and so on.

So saying they charged you on a 5 year old credit card is not possible, as that card should be invalid and closed for 2 years by now.

Originally posted by JeroKane

Credit Cards are only valid for 3 years, until they issue a new one for three years and so on.

So saying they charged you on a 5 year old credit card is not possible, as that card should be invalid and closed for 2 years by now.

ok ive been using the term "credit card" when its actually a debit card, either way, it doesnt stop the fact its been charged 150 dollars, just cause the money is coming straight from my bank account, not via a credit card company isnt the issue here

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Aparition
    Originally posted by Blaze_Rocker

The more you know.

the thing is, 2 days later Trion admitted it was their fault, not hackers, not billing companies, but that was 2 days too late to stop me canceling my card and having to reset all the things that card was linked too, cause they rummaged around their data base, and decided to sell people items, they didnt want to buy in the first place

Sorry. You did not mention that before. It just seemed to be a familiar story as of late so I assumed it wasn't them.

Also, credit card companies don't always work the same.  Everytime I've received a new credit card from my current company the face numbers have always remained the same, only the back numbers and the expiration date has changed. The last time I got a new card was when I lost my wallet and I had to replace everything, and that's how my new card arrived. Doesn't make sense to me but the number on the face of the card is the same as my account number so it's just easier for them I guess.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Actually, Trion did something similar to me a while back.  I was charged for RIFT expansions (I had 2 accounts).  I've been subbed to the game since launch and never cancelled my account.  I was (without my knowledge or permission/consent) charged for the expansions.  

I put in a customer service ticket and nothing came of it.  

I'm still attempting to get my money back, as I haven't logged into the game in quite some time.  (I keep thinking that I 'might'go back to RIFT, but just can't bring myself to to do it.)

Originally posted by WNxbadboy3
    read this http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?32346-Regarding-Reports-of-Unauthorized-Transactions about unauthorized transactions

thank you for validating :)

Originally posted by BlackWatch

Actually, Trion did something similar to me a while back.  I was charged for RIFT expansions (I had 2 accounts).  I've been subbed to the game since launch and never cancelled my account.  I was (without my knowledge or permission/consent) charged for the expansions.  

I put in a customer service ticket and nothing came of it.  

I'm still attempting to get my money back, as I haven't logged into the game in quite some time.  (I keep thinking that I 'might'go back to RIFT, but just can't bring myself to to do it.)

im gonna give them benefit of the doubt, im still pissed that i goto get a new card, but i wanna see if the money gets credited back, if not i open a dispute within my bank, i dont regret paying to play rift back in the day, but to hold info, and to use it to charge someone for a new game from that same company is pretty rude.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    read this http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?32346-Regarding-Reports-of-Unauthorized-Transactions about unauthorized transactions

Bots hacked your account because your password was too easy for them to guess or you use it in multiple games/accounts. Trion is adding more security to help protect people like you and giving you your money back. Can you explain how that validates your original post ?

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Gdemami

all cards in my country have like a 2 or 3 year expiry on them, that doesnt change all your details though

And why do you think there is an expiration date? It changes enough to make the card invalid...

Your lack of critical thinking is astounding but not surprising and so is your ego - yeah, definitely not a mistake that happens to anyone, an intention...

Actually for debit cards the expiration date means squat, as the card is linked to a bank account funds can still be withdrawn even if it has expired. I know this for a fact as I had a big argument with my bank about it, and eventually got a refund after  many complaints. For a credit card its slightly different, again personal experience from the two attempted Archeage gift packs.....strangely enough the only thing hat has been installed recently was Archeage beta....

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Small correction there.

Game companies (Like any other company) don't need to know your password because the billing department can get access to your account freely and at any time (generally on request of the account holder that wants to change details that cannot be change online).

Having said that, like a bank clerk cannot steal your money from your bank account even if he has access to it, the same can be said for Trion.

Manipulating other people accounts is absolutely illegal, and Trion is a too well known company to do such a stupid thing.

So the reason for this unespected charge could be:

1) You've been hacked. Check if you can still get acces to your Trion account, if you can't that's your answer.

Even if you can, that doesn't exclude the fact that someone else is playing Archeage Alpha with your account.

2)Technical glitch. It shouldn't happen but sometimes it does, even to Banks that spend millions on this kind of software, let alone a medium size game company.

What you can do, instead of complaining on a forum is to contact Trion and explaing to them what happened, they will refund the money and they will investigate the reason how this could happened.

Believe it or not is in Trion interest to know potential loophole in their security system or glitches in their account managment software, so you are making them a favor by contacting them.

I really hope you contacted Trion before making this thread, it looks rude to me that you take the time to make a post in a MMO forum rather than spend few minutes writing an Email to Trion.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Is not the 1st post i read about his issue or whatever it is, so its something to worry about.

I just like to ask about threat tittle:

... desperate with this payments issues? If this what your tittle means its ok.

or

... desperate to take players money? If is this one i thing is not correct to speculate about illegal behaver from a company without real proves. 

Anyway, as a customer i will keep my eye on this "issues", hope they get solve soon. 

Originally posted by JeroKane

ok ive been using the term "credit card" when its actually a debit card, either way, it doesnt stop the fact its been charged 150 dollars, just cause the money is coming straight from my bank account, not via a credit card company isnt the issue here

debit cards moreso, because the card number isnt the same account number... always change when you get new ones... and as someone else mentioned the expiry date changes, which makes the card invalid if the card was past the original expiry date which it would have had to been...

Originally posted by DamonVile

Bots hacked your account because your password was too easy for them to guess or you use it in multiple games/accounts. Trion is adding more security to help protect people like you and giving you your money back. Can you explain how that validates your original post ?

And of course we all believe its the user's fault! Trion can state what they like, I have a separate password for every game I play, each one is a non-sequential and random combination of letters and numbers so not something that can be guessed at, I am very security conscious, do not download suspect programs or access suspect websites and they still accessed my account and tried to charge founders pack.....yes yes, it was all my fault....

Originally posted by Boraell

Actually for debit cards the expiration date means squat, as the card is linked to a bank account funds can still be withdrawn even if it has expired.

You mix up several things together.

It does not matter whether your card is debit or credit card, once the card expires, the card(card no + expiration date) is no longer valid. Period.

Yes, the process of refund is different as it depends what kind of service you use but credit/debit card validation/authentication mechanics are the same.

all cards in my country have like a 2 or 3 year expiry on them, that doesnt change all your details though

Actually for debit cards the expiration date means squat, as the card is linked to a bank account funds can still be withdrawn even if it has expired. I know this for a fact as I had a big argument with my bank about it, and eventually got a refund after  many complaints. For a credit card its slightly different, again personal experience from the two attempted Archeage gift packs.....strangely enough the only thing hat has been installed recently was Archeage beta....

i just tried to make purchases online using 

A - Visa Debit Card x 2 (2 different accounts)

B - Visa Credit Card

C - Mastercard Credit Card

i used incorrect expiration dates for each card with all the other details correct and they all came back denied. the expiration date is there for a reason.. prevents fraudulent activity from old credit card databases :P

Edit - also, when i purchased Defiance PC, i was double charged $100... i contacted support, they had a refund in my bank account in 48 hours... mistakes happen and trion is quick to remedy a mistake.

Originally posted by BoraellAnd of course we all believe its the user's fault! Trion can state what they like, I have a separate password for every game I play, each one is a non-sequential and random combination of letters and numbers so not something that can be guessed at, I am very security conscious, do not download suspect programs or access suspect websites and they still accessed my account and tried to charge founders pack.....yes yes, it was all my fault....

Think of it this way:

Who is capable to protect better their data? A company with department of IT professionals and millions of USD poured into security or you, average user?

Considering your comments on debit/credit cards, I think you are not as tech savvy as you think you are :-P

And of course we all believe its the user's fault! Trion can state what they like, I have a separate password for every game I play, each one is a non-sequential and random combination of letters and numbers so not something that can be guessed at, I am very security conscious, do not download suspect programs or access suspect websites and they still accessed my account and tried to charge founders pack.....yes yes, it was all my fault....

Think of it this way:

Who is capable to pretect their data? A company with department of IT professionals and millions of USD poured into security or you, average user?

Considering your comments on debit/credit cards, I think you are not as tech savvy as you think :-P

not only that but if he does indeed have a seperate randomly generated password for everything he plays.. one would be lead to believe he might have a document on his computer somewhere with all the different passwords stored. of course, that will be denied, who would want to admit that.

Think of it this way:

Who is capable to pretect better their data? A company with department of IT professionals and millions of USD poured into security or you, average user?

Considering your comments on debit/credit cards, I think you are not as tech savvy as you think :-P

Or you are much more gullible than you think. A subscription to a game is classed as a continuous authority payment, and as it is made on a credit or debit card the direct debit guarantee does not apply. Yes I do know what i'm talking about, no you do not, your merely spouting what you believe to be true with no basis in fact. try researching it instead of blindly assuming.

P.S. I'm AAT qualified in accountancy.