Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The world is about to change

Comments

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Just rumors and stuff - article is a big laugh - Nobody else is talking about a consumer release date~

Jus sayin.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Xer0id

Just rumors and stuff - article is a big laugh - Nobody else is talking about a consumer release date~

Jus sayin.

Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/article/will-consumer-version-of-the-oculus-rift-be-wireless

release of May 2015 confirmed. That took me like 10 seconds to find

just saying

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    The Verge just published a centerpiece on this, and they totally stole my cell phone analogy! image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by lugal

It will launch to thunderous silence. Only those who feel the need to have every peice of latest tech will jump on it. Game support will be low at first. Then some other company, like Sony, will release a version later that will be better supported by game makers.

sony might but, sony has a problem.

The dev kit 2 is already 1080p. There are predictions that consumer edition might be 4k.

try running that on a playstation.

Try running that on most PCs that are currently in the market, running the current crop of video games.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

It will launch to thunderous silence. Only those who feel the need to have every peice of latest tech will jump on it. Game support will be low at first. Then some other company, like Sony, will release a version later that will be better supported by game makers.

The dev kit 2 is already 1080p. There are predictions that consumer edition might be 4k.

Try running that on most PCs that are currently in the market, running the current crop of video games.

exactly...

which is why its time to upgrade if you want to play VR.

Otherwise just stay in the 8 bit world :) (hidden meaning in that last comment)

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

The tech still has a ways to go. I can only see it becoming popular when the hardware hits DragonBall Z scouter bulkiness, at a maximum. Anything bigger than that will stay outside the mainstream.

These are my opinions. I even made a a nifty avatar image to remind everyone. Why does this constantly need to be said on a gaming forum? 

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Jus sayin.

Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/article/will-consumer-version-of-the-oculus-rift-be-wireless

just saying

How funny - I found the exact same link 5-minutes before I made my post and it was the only other link that talked about a release date, besides the one you linked. You would think the release date for a consumer oculus rift would be bigger news on 'bigger sites' that follow oculus rift.

Cause the news is dry on every single site that is credible to me regarding this news. Never heard of examiner for one, perhaps i'm just out of the loop.

Just Saying.

Jus sayin.

Examiner

just saying

How funny - I found the exact same link 5-minutes before I made my post and it was the only other link that talked about a release date, besides the one you linked. You would think the release date for a consumer oculus rift would be bigger news on 'bigger sites' that follow oculus rift.

Cause the news is dry on every single site that is credible to me regarding this news. Never heard of examiner for one, perhaps i'm just out of the loop.

Just Saying.

completely agree that it is odd that other news stories havent picked up on it however it does make total sense that it is accurate.

There is an Oculus connection sept 20th and everyone knows the Oculus is scheduled to be released in 2015 so.....May seems to be the month.

Maybe people dont care about Oculus Rift to cover the release date?

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Jockan
    It will be another 10 years before this really takes off on a mainstream level. 

I'm also pretty dubious about this really taking off.  It looks like cool tech but VR has always had issues beyond resolution.  Price is probably the largest, if this launches for $200 it might do ok if it launches at $1000 it's going to be the price of a new TV for a lot of people.  Game compatibility long term has always been a issue with these kinds of things to.  Anyone remember the LCD keyboards that where suppose to be supported by every game in existence by now?  Then there is the issue of comfort long term and finally there is the complete lack of social interaction with those around you.  Will parents really be buying these things to go in the living rooms?  Some might sure but I'm talking in large numbers.  This is the kind of thing that people wear alone in their computer room while playing games on a PC.  And for that audience I just don't see a huge market for it.  I'm sure it will sell ok just being a cool gadget but there is no way it's going to be a game changer anytime soon.   At best it will begin a slow process of mass acceptance for this kind of technology.

It's not so much the gadget, but the vision and idea that will carry the technology to its final destination.  Those who are doubting this technology seem to be stuck in the misconception that a VR headset is the only way to go.  This OR/VR headset is the current itineration or conduit used in an attempt to realize the vision.  This itineration or conduit may not be the final vessel that will carry the technology to its final destination but the vision and desire will persist. 

When vision and desire are coupled with brilliant minds and advancing technology, amazing inventions are born.  Several centuries ago who would have ever believed that we would be setting flying vessels the size of 747s in the sky to travel the world?  Who would have ever believed that we would be launching space ships to visit the moon and exploring distant planets?  That and many other inventions seems 100 time fold less achievable or possible than a functional and enjoyable VR/OR experience.  Yet those were accomplished and this one will as well.  It is not that far-fetched when viewed against the already successful grander scheme of accomplishments.  

I don't think the issue is whether its achievable or not but if it is anything more than a gimmick. I will probably end up buying it. Hell I bought the kinect when it first came out and I thought that had potential. But what I got was a few really, really, bad games and a stubbed toe.

I'm not saying that VR hasn't got potential, it obviously does and well beyond gaming. The question is, does it improve the experience enough to warrant putting up with it's shortcomings and does the effect or novelty value wear off? Remember that movies first came out people would try and run out the way of moving trains when they appeared on screen. Now we would laugh at that. But does the effect that VR gives you of being in the world last or does it wear off once you get used to it and then it the VR becomes nothing more than another screen as you build up some sort of tolerance to it.

There are other questions such as motion sickness, the effect it has on your vision(if any), fatigue and a whole host of other questions I would probably not even think of.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    IMO the most useless peripheral to ever arrive on PC.  Will not have any success whatsoever.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I really hope the consumer edition is 4k because as much as I love how great the occulus works. The resolutions are much much to be desired.

I also can see that what it can do for television and movies is as much revolutionary as what in can do for games.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    this is just a fad.. gimme a call when holodecks roll out.
    Originally posted by laserit

I really hope the consumer edition is 4k because as much as I love how great the occulus works. The resolutions are much much to be desired.

I also can see that what it can do for television and movies is as much revolutionary as what in can do for games.

I assume you have tried it then.

My 1080p Dev kit 2 will be hitting my door very soon and I jazzed about it. I have the Dev 1 and I would agree the resolution needs to be better however from what I have read 1080p is the sweet spot.

Originally posted by azzamasin
    IMO the most useless peripheral to ever arrive on PC.  Will not have any success whatsoever.

speaking for myself its the only gaming peripheral I have purchased in 20 years and I bought both dev1 and dev2. I dont even have a steering wheel and that is a product that has seen some success for decades!

Twitch - 1 billion dollars

Oculus - 2 billion dollars.

I am excited to see your reflections on this topic 2 years from now.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Some people have issues with motion sickness. I don't and I have tried it. To be honest, after about 10-15 minutes, I got a bit queasy. On the other hand I was completely blown away by how amazing it was. I played some Mech simulator thing and I felt like I was there. Is it perfect? No. But it was pretty fucking amazing all the same.

I agree. It is the future. It will be the future. The only limiting factor is their ability to adjust it for the masses.

Originally posted by BeansnBread

Some people have issues with motion sickness. I don't and I have tried it. To be honest, after about 10-15 minutes, I got a bit queasy. On the other hand I was completely blown away by how amazing it was. I played some Mech simulator thing and I felt like I was there. Is it perfect? No. But it was pretty fucking amazing all the same.

I agree. It is the future. It will be the future. The only limiting factor is their ability to adjust it for the masses.

although I did suggest in my post that it will have major adoption. It really doesnt need to in order to be successful.

How many of us have a gaming steering wheel and yet those things have been around forever.

we shall see in a few years

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Whether you believe it's an odd gaming peripheral or the final computing platform, the idea is very old.  Old as time, some might say.  It's easy to find threads of VR that go back more than half a century, at least.  At its core, I think it's about an-other-awareness, a not-here-ness; the same thing William Gibson meant when he coined the term "cyberspace", or what Oculus means when they use the term "presence".

Philosophy aside, I wanted to respond to the poster who claimed that there is "no point in using it for 3rd person".  When Oculus debuted the Crystal Cove, one of their primary tech demos was in fact a tower-defense-type simulation from a 3rd person perspective.  3rd person is very do-able in VR.  It is no more out of the realm of possibility than a first-person versus a third-person perspective in any computer game.

Also, to those who think they will need to upgrade to Alienware in order to use this: Oculus already has demos running on a Samsung Galaxy S5.  I'm hoping to use my 2010 Toshiba satellite laptop with its powerhouse i3 processor as my primary VR platform in the interim.  It will not require Alienware*.  If you have it, that's awesome, but the only new piece of hardware I'm planning to buy is the Oculus Rift itself.

*edit: and if it does, then I guess I'm S.O.L. image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

My 1080p Dev kit 2 will be hitting my door very soon and I jazzed about it. I have the Dev 1 and I would agree the resolution needs to be better however from what I have read 1080p is the sweet spot.

The 1080p is a very big improvement, but I think it won't live up to your expectations. It is still too low a resolution for something that is that close to your eyes.

For any kind of sim where the controls are pretty simplistic ie racing or fighter planes, the immersion is f...ing awesome. Shooters are pretty cool but most other genre's are meh.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

The 1080p is a very big improvement, but I think it won't live up to your expectations. It is still too low a resolution for something that is that close to your eyes.

For any kind of sim where the controls are pretty simplistic ie racing or fighter planes, the immersion is f...ing awesome. Shooters are pretty cool but most other genre's are meh.

so clearly I have to ask. Have you tried Dev  Kit 1 and have you tried Dev Kit 2 and have you read articles that state 1080p is the 'entry point' of VR that makes it totally worth it.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

There being demos with 3rd person doesn't mean it makes it worth it for those that hate first person experience. Ultimately it's like watching it in a smaller screen, you are loosing the scope of what the oculus rift tries to portrait.

I hate first person experience but if with oculus rift I can actually rotate the camera with my head (Since you can) and experience the game as if I'm in it, then immersion boost will be phenomenal! 

Originally posted by Bloodaxes

There being demos with 3rd person doesn't mean it makes it worth it for those that hate first person experience. Ultimately it's like watching it in a smaller screen, you are loosing the scope of what the oculus rift tries to portrait.

I hate first person experience but if with oculus rift I can actually rotate the camera with my head (Since you can) and experience the game as if I'm in it, then immersion boost will be phenomenal! 

no I would not agree with your first statement there.

If the demo is amazing (which from what I understand it was) then its a very good proof positive that it will work.

3rd person view is something I dont care to know much about so its a realm I am not interested in but I did want to make a point on your first comment there.

demo that is great vs. your own imagined impression?

yeah I am going with the demo as proof.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

All I'm saying is, how is it any different from watching it on an ordinary screen if it's in 3rd person? 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I wouldn't be as excited as I am if some big players hadn't been impressed. When Carmack jumped on board and Zuckerburg bought it, I started paying a lot more attention. I've watched this thing go from a dude in his garage to what it is now and I can't help but be excited to see this hit the market. 
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Disregard. I read some additional information and this statement is no longer relevant lol
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

All I'm saying is, how is it any different from watching it on an ordinary screen if it's in 3rd person? 

It would be very different, even in third person.  There is a fundamental difference to your brain when it received simulated three dimensional information and when it receives real three dimensional information.  For one thing your mind is going to perceive the size of things properly.  It isn't doing that right now looking at a flat screen.

However, in Third Person view where the camera whips around based on the movement of your mouse and not the movement of your head, it's going to be weird.  That's one of those cases where it seems like nausea would set in as your eyes were seeing things that your head was in no way experiencing.  Maybe if the camera panning was dependent upon the movement of the head gear instead of the mouse it might work OK.  Our brains are pretty adaptable and if we give them an "out", they'll take the path of least resistance and vomit inducing nausea is not that path.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.