Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing article detailing the innovation of EQN and Storybricks

Comments

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Azoth
    Originally posted by Aelious

Why are so many EQN supporters speaking about Storybricks as if its fully implemented and working in the game already?

Can we just wait to see how it actually works in game before comparing this to ANY playable game right now?

Storybricks is a great systems, it has a lot of potential but that's all it is right now - potential, a possibility.

Comparing a hypothetical system to an actual working system is pointless.

If this is the case why does MMORPG.com create forums for MMOs before they are released? Or, if the discussion is pointless why do people who want to talk about how it won't work, even comment? People on both sides like to hypothesize based upon what is known, even if what is know hasn't been fully shown (full seuss baby!).

What is more pointless to me is spending time posting negatively rather than positively when something isn't "shown".  Nothing that I've seen here so far has gone out of the bounds provided by SoE.  If someone doesn't think SoE can pull it off why even comment or care? Is it so offensive that people are excited about something they have to comment?

Of course things may not turn out the way SoE wants.  Regardless I would rather spend time being positive and excited about the possibilities enough to share that feeling with others.

If people didn't care, they wouldn't bother with negative posts. People do care about the name Everquest. What is posting negatively anyway ? Is simply having an opposite opinion negative ? And why would your enthusiasm for the possibility be more valid than my realistic view on what is real.

We are all just sharing opinions. If everyone agreed that EQN is the next baby jesus, this thread would of been over already.

If we just agreed that EQN *might be* the next baby jesus - that would do it for me.

I just have a problem with folks saying that it already is - have to call BS on that.

Aka .. you are just being picky about wording.

Technically from a technical stand point. It WILL be better as long as they achieve what they say they will. I think that is a better way to word it.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

I am all for discussion of upcoming games - but comparing EQN Storybricks *right now* to any of the dynamic quest systems from actual *live* games is just silly.

We have NO idea how storybricks will turn out - I think talking about all the possibilites is awesome - but saying how Storybricks *is better* than anything out now is not dealing with reality.

At least say *might be* or *could be* - nothing wrong with that.

Example -

Storybricks is better than GW2s dynamic event system - nope, sorry

Storybricks could be better than any dynamic event system in history - yep I have no issues with this at all.

Like the title of this very post - should be 

Amazing article detailing the *POSSIBLE* innovation of EQN and Storybricks - because it hasn't happened yet.

Speaking about storybricks in EQN as if it's already done ... yeah no.

That's my entire point.

Except your point is just ranting at this stage.  You have been going off about this for several weeks now.

Im not sure why you are so upset over this, but its time to get over it.

This is no different than telling every single person that says "ArcheAge is great!" that "hey, its not great to everyone, saying "In my opinion ArcheAge is great" would be the correct phrase".

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

only when it applies to EQN

Technically from a technical stand point. It WILL be better as long as they achieve what they say they will. I think that is a better way to word it.

All we have here is words - there's no body language, there's no tone.

Call it whatever you wish.

Saying "it will be better" requires a qualifier  - "as long as they achieve what they say they will", without a qualifier it sounds presumptuous.

Saying "it might be better" is better to me as it doesn't require any qualifier

Just my 2c

The question is, why do you care?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Aelious

Why are so many EQN supporters speaking about Storybricks as if its fully implemented and working in the game already?

Can we just wait to see how it actually works in game before comparing this to ANY playable game right now?

Storybricks is a great systems, it has a lot of potential but that's all it is right now - potential, a possibility.

If this is the case why does MMORPG.com create forums for MMOs before they are released? Or, if the discussion is pointless why do people who want to talk about how it won't work, even comment? People on both sides like to hypothesize based upon what is known, even if what is know hasn't been fully shown (full seuss baby!).

What is more pointless to me is spending time posting negatively rather than positively when something isn't "shown".  Nothing that I've seen here so far has gone out of the bounds provided by SoE.  If someone doesn't think SoE can pull it off why even comment or care? Is it so offensive that people are excited about something they have to comment?

Of course things may not turn out the way SoE wants.  Regardless I would rather spend time being positive and excited about the possibilities enough to share that feeling with others.

If people didn't care, they wouldn't bother with negative posts. People do care about the name Everquest. What is posting negatively anyway ? Is simply having an opposite opinion negative ? And why would your enthusiasm for the possibility be more valid than my realistic view on what is real.

We are all just sharing opinions. If everyone agreed that EQN is the next baby jesus, this thread would of been over already.

If we just agreed that EQN *might be* the next baby jesus - that would do it for me.

I just have a problem with folks saying that it already is - have to call BS on that.

That SB in EQN is not a working reality is known.  This discussion is about the possibilities of EQN based upon it working as spoken by SoE and comparing that to what is currently out there.  If you think everyone should premise a "might be" in any comparison is fine but I think the implication is already there.  I agree that we are all sharing opinions and I think that is great.  This is a hypothetical discussion so using the fact it's not working, or shown to work, isn't really taking the conversation further IMO, it's restating and arguing over a detail that is already known.  I guess that's why I see it as useless negativity.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by syriinx

only when it applies to EQN

Wrong

I'll back this up.  You may be very critical on points regarding EQN but you've also stated your hope that it turns out great.  You've been a very aggressive Switzerland image

All we have here is words - there's no body language, there's no tone.

Call it whatever you wish.

Saying "it will be better" requires a qualifier  - "as long as they achieve what they say they will", without a qualifier it sounds presumptuous.

Saying "it might be better" is better to me as it doesn't require any qualifier

Just my 2c

Saying it "might be better" wouldn't be accurate, because that would also apply to if they accomplished everything they set out to do. It would be odd to say something might be better when you already know it is. Which is why you add a qualifier to be more specific.

Aka .. you wanted to get picky, so I am getting even more picky lol.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Meet the new hype, same as the old hype...

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Markn
    Originally posted by evilized
    I'll give it 4 posts before someone says the game will fail because it's either a GW2 clone or has bad graphics. Oh, and it has all been done before, etc, etc.

Ya people will hate because haters are jealous.  Funny they slam the graphics when it uses the same engine as PS2 which has great graphics.  GW2 clone probably not as GW2 has a level system.

Same graphics engine, completely different artistic direction.

Ya people will hate because haters are jealous.  Funny they slam the graphics when it uses the same engine as PS2 which has great graphics.  GW2 clone probably not as GW2 has a level system.

Actually funny thing is, graphics are made out of textures, models, LODs .. ect. Even if these are in the same engine doesn't mean they are all of equal quality.

So technically, 2 games made in the same engine could have differeing levels of graphics. It depends on quality and what technologies of the engine are utilized. Game development 101 XD

By the way, I am in no way saying EQN has lower quality. Actually in my opinion, the quality is perfectly fine.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

This engine is similar to how animation was changed significantly with software.

Back in the day if you wanted to animate, you had to draw out every frame 1 by 1. The same applies to coding a video game. In order for a developer to create a quest and story line they have to script the entire thing. Sure they can re-use code, just as an artist could re-use an animation. However, you would still have to manually put it all together.

Story bricks is the equivalent of animation software, where you only have to draw each of the characters parts. Like the head, arms, legs, eyes .. ect. Than the program puts it all together for you.

It only needs to be scripted 1 time, and the script can be applied all over the game with out having to re-write the code every single instance it's used. It can be applied to another script. It's even possible a script could do something the developers never even thought it could do.

In other words, on the players end, you wont be able to physically see the difference. However, if you pay attention you may notice the game is filed with a lot more variation than your typical game. All this with much less developer work.

So instead of only a few variations, you end up with hundreds if not thousands with a whole lot less work.

Back in the day, .. .actually even today adding choices to the game increases development time a lot. Because than you have to script for every single different route the player can take. Story bricks, just does that all automatically by evaluating the situation and choosing the best course of action.

Edit: I assure you, it's a ground breaking feature that will allow a game world feel more alive. It will also allow developers to deliver content at an astonishing rate.

I would love to see this implemented in the next Elder Scrolls game.

/Slow clap.  Good to see at least one other person here gets it.

Comparing Story Brick's Emergent AI to GW2's dynamic event system is completely asinine lol. 

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Actually funny thing is, graphics are made out of textures, models, LODs .. ect. Even if these are in the same engine doesn't mean they are all of equal quality.

So technically, 2 games made in the same engine could have differeing levels of graphics. It depends on quality and what technologies of the engine are utilized. Game development 101 XD

By the way, I am in no way saying EQN has lower quality. Actually in my opinion, the quality is perfectly fine.

Exactly right.  Nice to see you get it.

EQN doesn't have "bad graphics".  It's not like they're outdated or poorly done.  They might not be what you prefer or what you think is best when it comes to style, but they are technologically on the high end and they accomplish exactly what the designers want: More lifelike characters that can show a wide range of emotion.

And if history is any indication, it's not like stylized graphics are a bad way to go.  Some of the highest selling, most popular and critically acclaimed games in history are stylized or don't even use high end 3D graphics..

League of Legends, WoW, Minecraft, Mario Kart 8, the Sims series, TF2, FTL, Terraria, etc etc.

Ultra realistic graphics don't make the game inherently better.  

I dunno, maybe I just care more about game play than I do with how nice the graphics are.

Lolol.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Nice article, looks very much like they are combining Dynamic events from GW2 and invasions from Rift intoo something new..

For me personally these worked very good, as long as there where oldfashioned quests around to tell the main stories.  I just love deep involving quests in a world that actually feels alive and where things are happening... these story bricks make the world feel alive for sure...

But still for me oldfashioned epic quests like the personal story in GW2 or the main quests in SWTOR or ESO are what makes me move around.  If you combine them with these story bricks, you can actually bring back the RPG in MMORPG.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Comparing Story Brick's Emergent AI to GW2's dynamic event system is completely asinine lol. 

exactly - but not for the reasons you think.

It's more of a - one is an actual existing system in a live game

The other is still a concept yet to be implemented.

IMO - no actual comparison can even be possible as we don't know what EQN with storybricks will actually be like in gameplay - it's all theoretical at this point.

Bingo Bingo.. We have a winner..   That is what many of us have been saying..  Until this super wonder Storybricks goes live and has some mileage behind it, it is impossible to compare and rate..  GW2's dynamic events and Rift's invasions are actually working codes.. and mostly successful..  Storybricks has the potential to raise the bar, but until it becomes a working model with thousands playing it, we have NO CLUE if it is "working as intended"..

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by azzamasin

http://www.eqhammer.com/column/making-worlds-content-delivery-everquest-next

I think it's obvious that EQN will have amazing innovation features that have never been present in the genre. I think it is articles like this that prove it and anyone who thinks EQN isn't going to be innovative is fooling themselves for personal reasons all because I feel they are upset it isn't going to be a clone of what has come and gone and come again. Love the direction this game is taking but I'll not get too hyped till I see it in action for myself.

I think it is fairly obvious why Tenton Hammer and others have lauded over it's potential with unheralded and unprecedented awards!

EDIT: For some reason it isn't letting me link with the editor so just cut and paste.

Nothing innovative there, same o, same o with a different skin. Majority don't care about NPC's developing and story. That is a small percentage of the majority that will end up trying this game.

Oh wow, the inn keeper remembers me pissing him/her off. Yay!

WHo cares what the majority wants, and why do you think you can speak for them?

I just did, that' why. I am a natural born leader and know what's best.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by Rydeson

The key thing to note is that players will be able to change their surroundings by their actions and the world will also change over time even without player intervention.  You don't need to get so specific, as in something like "Can players bar other players from being shamans!?" to understand this fact.  They've already given examples of possibilities that work within their system.  Things like orcs taking over a town, and players driving orcs out of the town making it peaceful again where you can then use the town to buy items and resources... then the orcs could come back in force with a larger raid-sized army.... OR maybe brigands see the orcs are no longer there are decide to attack.  Or maybe that town turns into a xenophobic militarized community that attacks everyone on sight because they're so afraid from being attacked all the time.  This is already done by ArenaNet (GW2) with dynamic events, just on a smaller scale..  Trion's Rift touches this with their zone wide invasions .. So this really isn't anything new, it's just done on a bigger scale.. The wheel has already been invented, but because SOE is making it a bigger wheel isn't invention..

All you questions have already been answered.  You don't need to know about a specific scenario you dreamed up answered right now.  The key point is that the world will constantly be changing and it's not the same as scripted events like GW2 or a simple faction KOS vs Friendly system.

GW2's world is always changing too.. in fact each server is different then others..  No two servers are technically the same..  These are not real changes, they are only short term temporary effects.. Have you played GW2 yet? lol

I've played GW2 for many months and I don't understand why you can't figure out that they're drastically different systems that work in drastically different ways.

Probably because they aren't that much different on a player perspective. A scripted event triggered by players.

This statement only proves you don't know anything about the system, how it works and why it's drastically different.

Bookmarked for post-release review.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Because of posts like you started last week expressing there is no innovation in EQN.

I am not an EQN apologist but I knew coming out of SOE Live 2013 (last years event and 1st announcement) that EQN was going to be different.  I aint saying it's going to be the bees knees or cats pajamas but it sure as hell is going to be evolutionary and quite possibly revolutionary.  For the record it the system is working and was shown at SOE live 2014.  Which is what the jest of this article describes.

Listen I understand that the MMO genre is saturated with flop after flop but lets not be so blinded, jaded and pessimistic that it blinds our inability to look forward too and spot something cool waiting in the wings.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Exactly right.  Nice to see you get it.

EQN doesn't have "bad graphics".  It's not like they're outdated or poorly done.  They might not be what you prefer or what you think is best when it comes to style, but they are technologically on the high end and they accomplish exactly what the designers want: More lifelike characters that can show a wide range of emotion.

And if history is any indication, it's not like stylized graphics are a bad way to go.  Some of the highest selling, most popular and critically acclaimed games in history are stylized or don't even use high end 3D graphics..

League of Legends, WoW, Minecraft, Mario Kart 8, the Sims series, TF2, FTL, Terraria, etc etc.

Ultra realistic graphics don't make the game inherently better.  

I dunno, maybe I just care more about game play than I do with how nice the graphics are.

Lolol.

Exactly.

For record look at games like Albion Online, Shroud of the Avatar or Pathfinder for dated graphics.  Couple that with poor animations and those games are 10+ years too late.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Brabbit1987Aka .. you are just being picky about wording.

It is not just the words, it is the lack of critical thinking behind it.

Example? Your next paragraph.

Originally posted by Brabbit1987Technically from a technical stand point. It WILL be better as long as they achieve what they say they will.

"What they say", "achieve", "what they want to achieve" - all is just subjective.

There can be easily miles difference between what they think they are saying and what YOU think they are saying.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Yeah, 10 years old crap and bs, talking, interviews, pr shit, demo videos, articles, but when comes to the game - 0. Cut the crap, let's see how it works in real game.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    I think it is articles like this that prove it and anyone who thinks EQN isn't going to be innovative is fooling themselves for personal reasons all because I feel they are upset it isn't going to be a clone of what has come and gone and come again. Love the direction this game is taking but I'll not get too hyped till I see it in action for myself. 

So anyone who isn't as hyped or should i say as gullible and starry eyed as you are fooling themselves lol. Your comment about not getting hyped is a joke considering this pontificating thread you have made.

So you have seen this all working in game then, an article is written and you consider that proof lmfao.

I think the only fool is you who actually believes the hype without actually seeing anything.image

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by flizzer

Of course I am excited and anxious to play this , but I do fear this is a lot of pre release hype.  After all, some of this type of talk was heard prior to the release of GW2. I play GW2 and do love the game but I do admit the pre release hype and the actual gameplay differ in degrees of magnitude.  How will EQN actually play?   

Im still not clear if anything described is really all that different.  Players will now have choices. Okay,  They will still need to add these content choices in to the game.  Whether you call it an update, expansion, or whatever, developers will need to add these changes in to the game and players will be waiting for the next content addition similar to the way we already do.   It almost seems like they are just calling these systems by different names and trying to convince us they are new and different.  I hope they are. I will be there on day one to play this game and hope I am completely wrong.  Perhaps I am just a jaded gamer who has listened to much too much pre release game hype to believe what I read.

A small example.

The developers put a gold mine into the game.

Now every faction, group or individual that is affected by the desire for wealth has been dynamically changed by the introduction of this gold mine. Not only that but with every faction, group or individual affected, there will be a knock on effect with those that are not interested simply through their interaction with those that are. If you have thousand of factions, groups and individuals that are all interacting then any change could potentially have a very dramatic effect.

In essence Storybricks allows for a world to operate with a very real 'butterfly effect' going on.

Hard to imagine the complexity of all the content that will be needed to allow for this.  GW2 claims they have teams working on all aspects of the game.  How many would be needed for all these different choices?   How often would we get updates?  Yes, they would need to be updates. You might not like the word and SOE apparently doesnt but when you add content to the game you update.  Again, I forsee players just waiting on the next additional content update to the game so they can play with more choices.  Not a bad thing if SOE can deliver, for sure, but I feel we are being bamboozled with the language and superlatives used in describing these systems. 

Not many needed at all..  Story bricks would generate what it needed to for any choices.  Geddit?

• RaellnRaelln Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by lizardbones

There is a difference between writing a system that has two possible outcomes, and writing a system that tells the system to find an outcome that fits a particular set of criteria.

In one case, there will only ever be 2 outcomes and adding additional outcomes scales up the amount of work required to produce the outcomes in a linear manner.  In the second case, there are many possible outcomes, allowing for many possible responses from players without scaling up the amount of work required to generate the additional outcomes.  A change in the environment by the players results in a change in the possible outcomes and responses in the AI mobs.  I don't know if it is a "living world", but the AI mobs are certainly reactive to the players and environmental changes without intervention from the developer.

There is not as much difference as you may think.

In a system where a single event may conclude numerous different ways, each of those forks must have scripts created and tested to handle the actions of the NPCs should that fork be chosen by players. For random repeatable events, this would certainly help make the content last longer.

For static content, such as a choice between which city gets built/unlocked versus another - from a certain perspective, there is a lot of development time wasted to create forks in the story that will never be seen.

The scripting involved to provide NPCs with the ability to seem "intelligent" and be able to respond in a myriad of ways at the conclusion of an event would require a monumental amount of AI & event scripting. Each event outcome may literally chain into dozens of unique story pathways. The amount of time to just script these story pathways would be huge - without even bearing down on the monetary costs of voice acting and building the animation sequences involved with the events.

Let us also not forget that MMOs these days push 30GB of disk space - having the game also support voiceovers for potentially hundreds, if not thousands, of events that may or may not ever play out would certainly make these games much larger.

• RaellnRaelln Member Posts: 67

He's not being picky about the wording. He's just asking people to be reasonable and not just lay down on the tracks of the hype train.

If EQN actually pulls off what they want storybricks to accomplish, I won't argue it will be neat - at least at first. My reservation is, after playing MMORPGs for 15+ years, how frustrating is it going to be to have to try to constantly find where that orc camp moved to when everyone and their brother  is trying to farm them for "orc bones" because an important recipe requires 150 of them per combine.

I've seen a mountain of ideas that looked good on paper, looked good in the dev blog bragging them up, sounded awesome at lunch talking with friends but after they were put in the game - some other mechanic in the game made them just absolutely frustrating to deal with on a daily basis.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561

If you want to see how storybricks works they have a video uploaded from two years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3b_3UGc7Es

I think it has potential to speed up game development when it comes to adding new mobs and factions. Because they want to create a virtual world where all mobs and factions interact with each other, rather than doing a lot of scripting for how they would behave with others, they can just give them whatever tags and let em loose.