Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carbine: Server Pop. Will Be Addressed Soon

AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

https://twitter.com/StephanFrost/status/503906783342387200

and

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/108705-carbine-please-help-the-empty-servers/page-26

Guild UMBRA

Hey @StephanFrost @WildStar I respectfully request you address the server population or lack there of.

Stephan Frost ‏@StephanFrost

@GuildUMBRA @WildStar We are working on some tech regarding that issue. You should hear about it soon.

Comments

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

and

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/108705-carbine-please-help-the-empty-servers/page-26

Guild UMBRA

Hey @StephanFrost @WildStar I respectfully request you address the server population or lack there of.

@GuildUMBRA @WildStar We are working on some tech regarding that issue. You should hear about it soon.

Not sure if this should be taken as good news or bad news for Wildstar.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I figure the way things are going with this game in about 2 months or so we'll start hearing about layoffs. 
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

and

Guild UMBRA

Not sure if this should be taken as good news or bad news for Wildstar.

A bit of both, I'd think.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    I don't get it why Carbine created a central forum in the first place when they're spreading their rare information on Twitter. And why don't they just merge the servers instead of creating some mysterious "tech"? I'd laugh if the low population issues are solved by instances or some crap. The game has so many flaws right now.. and therefor servers are pretty empty.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Didnt they refuse to budge on majority of the player issues and concerns during beta? I played the first free month and lasted about two weeks because the skill spam and ridiculous amount of screen clutter with a million quests that give less experience then monster kills. I loved the action combat feel in a wow like environment with the artstyle but man they got the rest of the game wrong big time.
  • EssedariusEssedarius Member UncommonPosts: 19
    It really surprises me that companies don't have a plan for this at launch, considering a vast majority of mmo launches have a whole initial swell followed by a sharp decline before it levels out. Especially a company like Carbine with so many vets working for them. 
  • AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Didnt they refuse to budge on majority of the player issues and concerns during beta?

I was about 6-7 months in closed beta and wrote some very long threads with concerns back in the days. There were so many people who agreed with me. The others just answered with "it's beta.. everything can change.. just wait and don't cry". Well.. it's kinda fun to see how many already quit the game due to these flaws I (and many others) brought forward many months ago. But hey.. "the devs are listening".. right?

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Avul
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Didnt they refuse to budge on majority of the player issues and concerns during beta?

I was about 6-7 months in closed beta and wrote some very long threads with concerns back in the days. There were so many people who agreed with me. The others just answered with "it's beta.. everything can change.. just wait and don't cry". Well.. it's kinda fun to see how many already quit the game due to these flaws I (and many others) brought forward many months ago. But hey.. "the devs are listening".. right?

I didnt do beta but you would think they would take a second and look at the damage control ESO did to turn their game around with all the issues and things the community brought up that are now addressed or being addressed. It always trips me out that devs know much better than their player base when the player base is always the ones paying the devs bills and making sure they have a job to go to. Cockiness and Ego is what fuels all these games tanking hard and the games that listen to their fan base are the ones thriving now. I watched minecraft from day 1 go from concept to beta and then to alpha based around fan feedback and look at how successful that game is. 7 days to die is the same way everyone said a zombie minecraft clone would never work and it funded from kickstarter in 4 days with all stretch goals completed and then went on in alpha to sell over 250k copies with 6 or 7 devs working on the game and a awesome fanbase spreading the word about the game giving it great reviews because they listen to everything the community wants. These guys need to wake up and listen to their fan base and stop thinking they know whats best for the game. I give it a couple of more months before NCsoft starts cannibalizing their studio.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Interesting.  I wonder what they have planned.  I questioned the idea of a megaserver in another thread and another well known poster said the following: 

"It's not the answer.

Why?

Because it wasn't coded for that technology.

Rewriting the back end server code and re-designing all the supporting systems (database, message bus, world servers, chat servers, ...)

Not viable.

So no - this is the kind of decision that you make pre-alpha - once the game is done it's just not viable anymore.

I think the OP is not taking into account the effort - it's HUGE - a complete rewrite of many core components."

So if a megaserver is not viable (to use that poster's term), what is?

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by grimal

Interesting.  I wonder what they have planned.  I questioned the idea of a megaserver in another thread and another well known poster said the following: 

"It's not the answer.

Why?

Rewriting the back end server code and re-designing all the supporting systems (database, message bus, world servers, chat servers, ...)

Not viable.

So no - this is the kind of decision that you make pre-alpha - once the game is done it's just not viable anymore.

I think the OP is not taking into account the effort - it's HUGE - a complete rewrite of many core components."

I'd suspect the tried and true... server merges, free transfers, cross-realm LFG whatever tools.  

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Pepeq

"It's not the answer.

Why?

Not viable.

I'd suspect the tried and true... server merges, free transfers, cross-realm LFG whatever tools.  

It would probably be the quickest way to fix the problem, although not the best. Server merges have always driven at least a couple more people away whenever they happened (usually a rage quit over the loss of a beloved character name).

The megaserver would be a far better solution IMO. But probably also a more time consuming one (which means a loss of more players too).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

"It's not the answer.

Why?

Not viable.

GW2 implemented megaserver technology around the time ESO launched, and it worked without any hickups at all. So yeah, if they know what they are doing they can do it well.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

OMG, I can't believe we all missed this... 

It's going to go F2P!

• Originally posted by Pepeq

OMG, I can't believe we all missed this... 

It's going to go F2P!

Its possible, but i doubt thats what they are going to do at this moment.