Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The world is about to change

Comments

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I feel like I should be excited for this, but I am not. I don't even like having a headset on, let alone a full face shield oculus rift. I get the feeling that the chances I will get an oculus rift are slim and none.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by OSF8759

Since the 1980s, headset based virtual reality/3D has proven a dismal failure. Oculus will be no different. It's a technological dead end that will be featured in a "Whatever Happened To" article in the future.

3D/virtual reality will only really catch on when there is no more need for glasses or headsets. Until then, it's a gimmick/dead end technology and nothing more.

The questions you have to ask yourself is ... is the vision still around today, has it evolved, and has it improved?  If the answer to those three questions is "yes," then it has not been a failure at all.  It is an evolution of technology that is still in progress and if it is still around today and still evolving what makes you think that it will not continue to do so?  It is now in the hands of a multi-billion dollar company.  It's going to happen.  It is destined.  Future technology screams VR headset.

You know, I kind of agree with him.

Future technology screams "Virtual reality WITHOUT a headset".

Or something akin to the coolest glasses evah!

Headset technology can be designed to be lightweight and very cool.  As I see it, the weight and coolness factor is the least of its problems.  But yes, glasses they will eventually evolve into being.  That much is a given.  They may even eventually evolve into contact lenses but we are now talking about well into the future.  We certainly won't be around.  Or will we?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    The rest of the world may wear these headsets, but not me. I won't watch 3D movies because you have to wear those darn glasses.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by LacedOpium  They may even eventually evolve into contact lenses but we are now talking about well into the future.  We certainly won't be around.  Or will we?

Hey, I'm uploading my consciousness into a computer as I write this ... image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by LacedOpium  They may even eventually evolve into contact lenses but we are now talking about well into the future.  We certainly won't be around.  Or will we?

Hey, I'm uploading my consciousness into a computer as I write this ... image

Make sure you have the latest in anti-virus software.  It is rumored that some of these new age viruses can drive one insane if not careful. 

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I'm not completely convinced that this is the future. There are practical problems that come along with wearing a headset that make it rather inconvenient to wear, mainly you are blind to everything around you while you wear a cumbersome and uncomfortable piece of hardware on your head. It may work as a gimmick and have lots of novelty value at first, but do you really want to be wearing something like that while you play a game? For even the smallest real life interaction, like picking up a drink or grabbing a snack you have to take it off because it disorientates you. When you become used to it, will it still be as imersive or will it just be another screen? 

Although I'm not totally convinced I look forward to getting one... But what I really want is a holodec.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Who gives a crap about looking cool when you're sitting at home gaming? Even if you have you're friends over they'll all look as dorky as you if this catches on. I really don't see that being a big issue for the Rift (Google Glasses might be a different story though).

Personally, even if it made me sick to my stomach I'd probably still do it if it made games that much more awesome.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Thanks for taking the time to post this OP.  I probably won't pick it up at first.  But, VR is a really awesome direction into the future of gaming.  I love seeing new tech like this.  I just hope they can get the support from developers.  I would hate to see another PS Vita.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Guys...

here is some more perspective I need to add for some people.

• The main reason the technology push is very different from the 90s is because of the scvreens it uses. The screens that is being used for this technology didnt even exist 10 years ago. Also for those who knows anything at all about technology they should know how silly it is to compare technology attempts of 20 years ago. An era where VHS tapes where still king.
    • There are two things happening in this space Virtual Reality and Augmented reality. Augmented reality by no doubt will be larger than VR in the long run. It has more uses and it appeals to more people. That said, good augmented reality is farther away then VR is at the moment.
    • Additionally, Oculus specifically can Augement as well by just adding a camera to the front which is already being tried out.
    • VR is for a fully involved experience, its not for wearing a cool hat and and asking your buddy to grab you a beer from the fridge while you slap on the couch, waiting for your other friend to get dressed for a night on the town.
    • It doesnt have to appeal to everyone to still be huge.

Speaking for myself, I have been thinking of getting a projector for movies. However at a price point of $350 to give me a movie experience better and larger than anything possible in a home I think I am going to wait for the Oculus

Today I read an article that suggested VR for watching movies is not that intrerting because '....whats the difference between using a VR headset and watching a movie at a large screen movie theather ...' what a moron! Last time I checked the cost of having a high quality 4k projector setup if you have the room to spare costs more than $350 fucking dollars...anyway that was a side note

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by DMKano

My guess is that the world wont' change until those goggles are the size of sunglasses with probably equal style.

The average person isn't going to be too keen on strapping some "thing" on their face and looking like a dork.

Especially for a video game.

Virtual reality will probably get more traction with the less intrusive it is and the more "real world" applications it can enhance.

Such as talking with the family hundreds of miles away and having it really feel like you are there. Or business meetings. Or training missions.

Eventually "regular" people will find the entertainment value of it all.

Exactly - I've used Occulus Rift for 45 min - and other than nausea, headache after 15 min - by the end of it, I was so glad to get the damn thing off my face.

The pressue on my head/face was not pleasant.

Cool tech - yes - it's the best VR headset I'ever tried - BUT it's not ready for prime time yet IMO.

Also this pretty much sums up my experience:

The Alienware sums it up better........

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    VR pron here we cum!
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

If these headsets are going to be the future of gaming, well I wonder if they will be.

I am old enough to have seen ideas that at the time were going to save the world.

Anyone here remember 4 channel stereo ?  It was going to revolutionize sound recording.  

The wankel engine ?  Fewer moving parts and easier to repair.

I even remember as a little boy every shoe store had a X-ray machine so you could see how well your foot fit the shoes you were going to buy.

I am not against new tech but be very careful when you call something the wave of the future.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by kb4blu

If these headsets are going to be the future of gaming, well I wonder if they will be.

I am old enough to have seen ideas that at the time were going to save the world.

Anyone here remember 4 channel stereo ?  It was going to revolutionize sound recording.  

The wankel engine ?  Fewer moving parts and easier to repair.

I even remember as a little boy every shoe store had a X-ray machine so you could see how well your foot fit the shoes you were going to buy.

I am not against new tech but be very careful when you call something the wave of the future.

LOL, yeah I'm sure the designer of the Edsel thought it was going to be a huge hit... now it's worth more money because it was a gigantic flop.  

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    May 2015 is still a ways off; I got a little excited when I read September this year.

I'm glad I've avoided using one so far, because I want to get the full experience the first time I try one on. At the very minimum, this will be a neat gaming peripheral. If some extrapolations are followed, this could herald the beginning of some very interesting times.

Look at how much affordable cell phones changed things in the late 90s, and where it's led today. This could easily be just as big.

My favorite internet game is already on it (Vendetta Online), so that right there is a seller for me.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Originally posted by Phaserlight
    May 2015 is still a ways off; I got a little excited when I read September this year.

I'm glad I've avoided using one so far, because I want to get the full experience the first time I try one on. At the very minimum, this will be a neat gaming peripheral. If some extrapolations are followed, this could herald the beginning of some very interesting times.

Look at how much affordable cell phones changed things in the late 90s, and where it's led today. This could easily be just as big.

My favorite internet game is already on it (Vendetta Online), so that right there is a seller for me.

true may 2015 is away but I get a feeling the September event is going to reveal some exciting stuff.

not evidence..just a hunch

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    bet it cost a lot...a LOT.
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    bet it cost a lot...a LOT.

it doesnt.

$350.

very cheap when you consider what it is.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Is it fun in third person? Cause I don't like first person games, I want to see my character.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    It will be another 10 years before this really takes off on a mainstream level. 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Is it fun in third person? Cause I don't like first person games, I want to see my character.

There is no point in using it for 3rd person.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Jockan

I'm also pretty dubious about this really taking off.  It looks like cool tech but VR has always had issues beyond resolution.  Price is probably the largest, if this launches for $200 it might do ok if it launches at $1000 it's going to be the price of a new TV for a lot of people.  Game compatibility long term has always been a issue with these kinds of things to.  Anyone remember the LCD keyboards that where suppose to be supported by every game in existence by now?  Then there is the issue of comfort long term and finally there is the complete lack of social interaction with those around you.  Will parents really be buying these things to go in the living rooms?  Some might sure but I'm talking in large numbers.  This is the kind of thing that people wear alone in their computer room while playing games on a PC.  And for that audience I just don't see a huge market for it.  I'm sure it will sell ok just being a cool gadget but there is no way it's going to be a game changer anytime soon.   At best it will begin a slow process of mass acceptance for this kind of technology.

Originally posted by udon

I'm also pretty dubious about this really taking off.  It looks like cool tech but VR has always had issues beyond resolution.  Price is probably the largest, if this launches for $200 it might do ok if it launches at $1000 it's going to be the price of a new TV for a lot of people.  Game compatibility long term has always been a issue with these kinds of things to.  Anyone remember the LCD keyboards that where suppose to be supported by every game in existence by now?  Then there is the issue of comfort long term and finally there is the complete lack of social interaction with those around you.  Will parents really be buying these things to go in the living rooms?  Some might sure but I'm talking in large numbers.  This is the kind of thing that people wear alone in their computer room while playing games on a PC.  And for that audience I just don't see a huge market for it.  I'm sure it will sell ok just being a cool gadget but there is no way it's going to be a game changer anytime soon.   At best it will begin a slow process of mass acceptance for this kind of technology.

1. The price point is $350. They have said it will cost as much or less than the Dev kits.

2. There is a market for 60" TV sets....this $350 device can give you a better movie experience than that.

3. People spend $350 on gaming steering wheel setups so clearly it doesnt have to be large to be a market. But to be fair having a market and changing the world are two diferent things I will admit

Originally posted by udon

It's not so much the gadget, but the vision and idea that will carry the technology to its final destination.  Those who are doubting this technology seem to be stuck in the misconception that a VR headset is the only way to go.  This OR/VR headset is the current itineration or conduit used in an attempt to realize the vision.  This itineration or conduit may not be the final vessel that will carry the technology to its final destination but the vision and desire will persist. 

When vision and desire are coupled with brilliant minds and advancing technology, amazing inventions are born.  Several centuries ago who would have ever believed that we would be setting flying vessels the size of 747s in the sky to travel the world?  Who would have ever believed that we would be launching space ships to visit the moon and exploring distant planets?  That and many other inventions seems 100 time fold less achievable or possible than a functional and enjoyable VR/OR experience.  Yet those were accomplished and this one will as well.  It is not that far-fetched when viewed against the already successful grander scheme of accomplishments.