Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing article detailing the innovation of EQN and Storybricks

Comments

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Azoth
    Originally posted by Gallus85
    Originally posted by Rydeson

The key thing to note is that players will be able to change their surroundings by their actions and the world will also change over time even without player intervention.  You don't need to get so specific, as in something like "Can players bar other players from being shamans!?" to understand this fact.  They've already given examples of possibilities that work within their system.  Things like orcs taking over a town, and players driving orcs out of the town making it peaceful again where you can then use the town to buy items and resources... then the orcs could come back in force with a larger raid-sized army.... OR maybe brigands see the orcs are no longer there are decide to attack.  Or maybe that town turns into a xenophobic militarized community that attacks everyone on sight because they're so afraid from being attacked all the time.  This is already done by ArenaNet (GW2) with dynamic events, just on a smaller scale..  Trion's Rift touches this with their zone wide invasions .. So this really isn't anything new, it's just done on a bigger scale.. The wheel has already been invented, but because SOE is making it a bigger wheel isn't invention..

All you questions have already been answered.  You don't need to know about a specific scenario you dreamed up answered right now.  The key point is that the world will constantly be changing and it's not the same as scripted events like GW2 or a simple faction KOS vs Friendly system.

GW2's world is always changing too.. in fact each server is different then others..  No two servers are technically the same..  These are not real changes, they are only short term temporary effects.. Have you played GW2 yet? lol

I've played GW2 for many months and I don't understand why you can't figure out that they're drastically different systems that work in drastically different ways.

Probably because they aren't that much different on a player perspective. A scripted event triggered by players.

This statement only proves you don't know anything about the system, how it works and why it's drastically different.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Markn
    Originally posted by evilized
    I'll give it 4 posts before someone says the game will fail because it's either a GW2 clone or has bad graphics. Oh, and it has all been done before, etc, etc.

Ya people will hate because haters are jealous.  Funny they slam the graphics when it uses the same engine as PS2 which has great graphics.  GW2 clone probably not as GW2 has a level system.

That is because people dont understand difference between artstyle and graphics. Even though graphic engine is same as PS2, art style is completely different.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Thestrain
    I'll give it 4 posts before someone says the game will fail because it's either a GW2 clone or has bad graphics. Oh, and it has all been done before, etc, etc.

Ya people will hate because haters are jealous.  Funny they slam the graphics when it uses the same engine as PS2 which has great graphics.  GW2 clone probably not as GW2 has a level system.

That is because people dont understand difference between artstyle and graphics. Even though graphic engine is same as PS2, art style is completely different.

'completely different' is a stretch.

It still holds to its cartoonish root.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by azzamasin

http://www.eqhammer.com/column/making-worlds-content-delivery-everquest-next

I think it's obvious that EQN will have amazing innovation features that have never been present in the genre. I think it is articles like this that prove it and anyone who thinks EQN isn't going to be innovative is fooling themselves for personal reasons all because I feel they are upset it isn't going to be a clone of what has come and gone and come again. Love the direction this game is taking but I'll not get too hyped till I see it in action for myself.

I think it is fairly obvious why Tenton Hammer and others have lauded over it's potential with unheralded and unprecedented awards!

EDIT: For some reason it isn't letting me link with the editor so just cut and paste.

Nothing innovative there, same o, same o with a different skin. Majority don't care about NPC's developing and story. That is a small percentage of the majority that will end up trying this game.

Oh wow, the inn keeper remembers me pissing him/her off. Yay!

exactly..

I know some people care about storyline but not me or my friends.

I am also burned out on:

all things that look cartoonish

combat in general

quests

fantasy genre

There we go again. EQ2 looks nothing like a cartoon or cartoonish. When you say cartoons you are talking about looney tunes, tom and jerry, mickey mouse etc.

Understand the difference.

Complete different from 'PS2'.

As far as you and your obsession with word 'cartoon'..even though i disagree. So what if it is cartoonish? does that by default makes it immature and targeted towards kids? i don't even understand what is your issue here.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by flizzer

Of course I am excited and anxious to play this , but I do fear this is a lot of pre release hype.  After all, some of this type of talk was heard prior to the release of GW2. I play GW2 and do love the game but I do admit the pre release hype and the actual gameplay differ in degrees of magnitude.  How will EQN actually play?   

Im still not clear if anything described is really all that different.  Players will now have choices. Okay,  They will still need to add these content choices in to the game.  Whether you call it an update, expansion, or whatever, developers will need to add these changes in to the game and players will be waiting for the next content addition similar to the way we already do.   It almost seems like they are just calling these systems by different names and trying to convince us they are new and different.  I hope they are. I will be there on day one to play this game and hope I am completely wrong.  Perhaps I am just a jaded gamer who has listened to much too much pre release game hype to believe what I read.

A small example.

The developers put a gold mine into the game.

Now every faction, group or individual that is affected by the desire for wealth has been dynamically changed by the introduction of this gold mine. Not only that but with every faction, group or individual affected, there will be a knock on effect with those that are not interested simply through their interaction with those that are. If you have thousand of factions, groups and individuals that are all interacting then any change could potentially have a very dramatic effect.

In essence Storybricks allows for a world to operate with a very real 'butterfly effect' going on.

I think it's obvious that EQN will have amazing innovation features that have never been present in the genre. I think it is articles like this that prove it and anyone who thinks EQN isn't going to be innovative is fooling themselves for personal reasons all because I feel they are upset it isn't going to be a clone of what has come and gone and come again. Love the direction this game is taking but I'll not get too hyped till I see it in action for myself.

I think it is fairly obvious why Tenton Hammer and others have lauded over it's potential with unheralded and unprecedented awards!

EDIT: For some reason it isn't letting me link with the editor so just cut and paste.

Nothing innovative there, same o, same o with a different skin. Majority don't care about NPC's developing and story. That is a small percentage of the majority that will end up trying this game.

exactly..

I am also burned out on:

combat in general

quests

fantasy genre

There we go again. EQ2 looks nothing like a cartoon or cartoonish. When you say cartoons you are talking about looney tunes, tom and jerry, mickey mouse etc.

Understand the difference.

ok..

the art style used in EQN

combat in general

fantasy genre

story lines

better?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Sounds like a pretty cool feature to me. Here's to hoping it'll be as good in game as it is in theory.

Definitely a reason to keep an eye on EQNext.

I agree. Not to be a Negative Nancy, but I'll believe it when I see it. No reason to get hyped about it. It does indeed soud great, but as to whether or not it'll be as good in game as it is in writing, is what I'm skeptical about. 

This is the exact reason I am keeping a "see it to believe it" approach to EQN. Frankly, I don't really believe it right now. Not to say, it won't be properly developed, but as with all things in life, with new innovations, comes new problems. Sure you get new systems and new mechanics, but you also have new limitations, new issues and new loopholes (that players WILL find and exploit) In the end, if the new innovation is being done just for the sake of innovation without the need to overcome a "hard stop" then what you will most likely end up with is a system of trade-offs. Just like GW2. Now, I like GW2 and still play the game. But that doesn't mean I can't recognize some serious shortcomings. Sure the game has a non-trinity combat system. Sure it works. But is it better? Some say yes, but some say no. IT was a trade off. It went in a new direction, but didn't really advance the genre. A unified economy, was both bad and good. Players having individual resources nodes to gather from.....bad and good, Everyone got their mats, but those mats ultimately were not worth anything more than their vendor trash value. 

it seems that much of the motivation for GW2's innovation was to design a game that wasn't a WoW-Clone. To me, that's all the wrong reasons. They could have produced a much more successful game if they looked more closely at what worked vs what didn't work and make something based more on what has been proven to work, but make the necessary improvements on what is known to work rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater and try to re invent the wheel, just to be able to say......"it's not like WoW"

Which brings me to EQN. Why are they innovating? What is currently broken with the genre that needs a complete top to bottom re design, that looking at what already works and making the adjustments couldn't accomplish what's needed? Just because Emergent AI is not the same as Dynamic Events, doesn't mean that Emergent AI will produce the experience that it's supposed to. Dynamic Events was innovative and was supposed to produce an experience that hadn't been produced before. While we can see that DEs are in GW2, the experience that ANET said (The "What that means" part) was exaggerated. I am currently operating on the premise that SOE is also exaggerating the "What that means" part too.

There will be new bugs, new limitations, new issues and new loopholes that new mechanics always introduce, that will diminish the player experience. If this new innovation, in-spite of all the problems we won't know about until all the dust settles, brings an much improved overall experience, then I'll say it was worth it. Otherwise, it will just be another MMO.

exactly..

I am also burned out on:

combat in general

quests

fantasy genre

You both obviously lack any understanding of anything Storybricks, does, intends to do or that has been shown so far.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Of course I am excited and anxious to play this , but I do fear this is a lot of pre release hype.  After all, some of this type of talk was heard prior to the release of GW2. I play GW2 and do love the game but I do admit the pre release hype and the actual gameplay differ in degrees of magnitude.  How will EQN actually play?   

Im still not clear if anything described is really all that different.  Players will now have choices. Okay,  They will still need to add these content choices in to the game.  Whether you call it an update, expansion, or whatever, developers will need to add these changes in to the game and players will be waiting for the next content addition similar to the way we already do.   It almost seems like they are just calling these systems by different names and trying to convince us they are new and different.  I hope they are. I will be there on day one to play this game and hope I am completely wrong.  Perhaps I am just a jaded gamer who has listened to much too much pre release game hype to believe what I read.

A small example.

Now every faction, group or individual that is affected by the desire for wealth has been dynamically changed by the introduction of this gold mine. Not only that but with every faction, group or individual affected, there will be a knock on effect with those that are not interested simply through their interaction with those that are. If you have thousand of factions, groups and individuals that are all interacting then any change could potentially have a very dramatic effect.

In essence Storybricks allows for a world to operate with a very real 'butterfly effect' going on.

Hard to imagine the complexity of all the content that will be needed to allow for this.  GW2 claims they have teams working on all aspects of the game.  How many would be needed for all these different choices?   How often would we get updates?  Yes, they would need to be updates. You might not like the word and SOE apparently doesnt but when you add content to the game you update.  Again, I forsee players just waiting on the next additional content update to the game so they can play with more choices.  Not a bad thing if SOE can deliver, for sure, but I feel we are being bamboozled with the language and superlatives used in describing these systems. 

Complete different from 'PS2'.

As far as you and your obsession with word 'cartoon'..even though i disagree. So what if it is cartoonish? does that by default makes it immature and targeted towards kids? i don't even understand what is your issue here.

fine I will use a different word [graphics that EQN uses]

You might not want to waste your time worrying about symantec's here because it doesnt change the reality of it.

EQN graphic is NOT a 'radical' difference in art style. different? yes...radical? fuck no

exactly..

I am also burned out on:

combat in general

quests

fantasy genre

You both obviously lack any understanding of anything Storybricks, does, intends to do or that has been shown so far.

and what specifically does that have to do with what I just wrote?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

WHo cares what the majority wants, and why do you think you can speak for them?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

A small example.

Hard to imagine the complexity of all the content that will be needed to allow for this.  GW2 claims they have teams working on all aspects of the game.  How many would be needed for all these different choices?   How often would we get updates?  Yes, they would need to be updates. You might not like the word and SOE apparently doesnt but when you add content to the game you update.  Again, I forsee players just waiting on the next additional content update to the game so they can play with more choices.  Not a bad thing if SOE can deliver, for sure, but I feel we are being bamboozled with the language and superlatives used in describing these systems. 

Can't remember if it was mentioned in one of the panels or during a chat with one of the devs but the system is designed to work with relative ease. In the example given they could make the change (on the fly I might add) simply by changing the properties of a material in the world from say Iron to gold and that will change things immediately. You now have a valuable resource that will have an effect in the world. Any faction, group or individual that craves Gold would be affected. As soon as word spread that Gold had been found a ripple would start spreading to affect things.

Even small changes will have big repercussions. Which is exactly why player interaction becomes so important. Essentially the world and players will be providing content to each other without the need for further interaction from the devs.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Believe NO hype, Believe NO articles unless you have UN-paid INDEPENDENT corroboration. Basically don't believe it till you see it, experience it yourself.

• amx23amx23 Member Posts: 102

Half of you guys saying you dont want a changing story or fantasy genre dont play mmos obviously...

...GET OUT!!

Originally posted by amx23

Half of you guys saying you dont want a changing story or fantasy genre dont play mmos obviously...

...GET OUT!!

the idea that MMOs have to be fantasy and have a story is a myth. A myth that has been created from years of no innovation

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by saker

Believe NO hype, Believe NO articles unless you have UN-paid INDEPENDENT corroboration. Basically don't believe it till you see it, experience it yourself.

It is definitely getting more difficult to find observers that are trust-worthy.  But it is getting more difficult to experience all the things for yourself, even within a single game (prototype).  If implemented as I currently understand the intention, the Storybricks element in EQN will be mostly invisible to players, so there will be no direct experience possible.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Can't remember if it was mentioned in one of the panels or during a chat with one of the devs but the system is designed to work with relative ease. In the example given they could make the change (on the fly I might add) simply by changing the properties of a material in the world from say Iron to gold and that will change things immediately. You now have a valuable resource that will have an effect in the world. Any faction, group or individual that craves Gold would be affected. As soon as word spread that Gold had been found a ripple would start spreading to affect things.

Even small changes will have big repercussions. Which is exactly why player interaction becomes so important. Essentially the world and players will be providing content to each other without the need for further interaction from the devs.

The possibility of doing something that you've given as an example may be possible, Gold pieces suddenly are worth the same as tin, and Iron pieces are the new currency.  It's an interesting conjecture, but it is entirely dependent upon being able to code the storybricks elements to capture several very complex social systems.  Given that, there could be (and probably should be) thousands of groups of NPCs that would need independent code.  Players might be upset if all groups of Orcs suddenly started acting the same (had the same behavioral patterns).  I think the majority to expect the Orcs near Halas to maybe attack Halas, while the Orcs near Freeport move to capture an Iron mine, and other bands/tribes/nations to simply start hoarding all metals.  (One stimulus, multiple diverse reactions).

My concern, even if SOE can successfully code multiple flexible behavior patterns is how this will be tested.  We've seen errors in coding and design roll into the live servers in other SOE products.  I fear a new complex social behavior will be rolled out causing a ripple effect of errors.  Using the same conceptual scenario, a change (gold-to-iron) is triggered, but it takes only a few nanoseconds (instead of hours/days) before it spreads throughout an entire sever, and the players never get a proper opportunity to react to the repercussions.  Given SOE's previous unwillingness to perform a full roll-back on live servers, how is that going to be corrected?  Their history works against them again.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Folks in Storybricks really developed something amazing. i can see their AI system becoming the next big thing for every other developer to emulate.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

It's a great matter of importance. EQN I wll be there!

All i read about this game is getting better and better.

It is a question of fangs.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by coretex666

The features sound interesting (on the paper). However, the videos indicate that EQN is going to be an arcade console game which kind of prevents me from getting excited about it.

Do you, fans of the game, have any opinion on this? Do you mind it looks like arcade console game? Do you disagree and think it looks like a decent PC MMORPG?

I cant help it, but when I watch the videos, I feel like the game is supposed to be played on a tv screen with joypad in your hands...

I don't create classifications like this for my games so I don't ever suffer from that issue. If the game plays better with a controller then I'll plug my controller in and play with it. If keyboard mouse is a viable option I'd prefer that and will use it.

As for it's style, stylized graphics are not my preference but it wont stop me from enjoying the game if it's fun and action combat is far more interesting than tab target so that part is a plus to me.

As for the actual topic storybricks is really something I'll have to see in action, but it sounds good....on paper.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by coretex666

The features sound interesting (on the paper). However, the videos indicate that EQN is going to be an arcade console game which kind of prevents me from getting excited about it.

the downer to me is that EQN will be action combat similar to a MOBA

i dont think console when i think of EQN,  i think MOBA

I am willing to overlook the action aspects if the rest of the game is fun

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Azoth
    Originally posted by Rydeson

The key thing to note is that players will be able to change their surroundings by their actions and the world will also change over time even without player intervention.  You don't need to get so specific, as in something like "Can players bar other players from being shamans!?" to understand this fact.  They've already given examples of possibilities that work within their system.  Things like orcs taking over a town, and players driving orcs out of the town making it peaceful again where you can then use the town to buy items and resources... then the orcs could come back in force with a larger raid-sized army.... OR maybe brigands see the orcs are no longer there are decide to attack.  Or maybe that town turns into a xenophobic militarized community that attacks everyone on sight because they're so afraid from being attacked all the time.  This is already done by ArenaNet (GW2) with dynamic events, just on a smaller scale..  Trion's Rift touches this with their zone wide invasions .. So this really isn't anything new, it's just done on a bigger scale.. The wheel has already been invented, but because SOE is making it a bigger wheel isn't invention..

All you questions have already been answered.  You don't need to know about a specific scenario you dreamed up answered right now.  The key point is that the world will constantly be changing and it's not the same as scripted events like GW2 or a simple faction KOS vs Friendly system.

GW2's world is always changing too.. in fact each server is different then others..  No two servers are technically the same..  These are not real changes, they are only short term temporary effects.. Have you played GW2 yet? lol

I've played GW2 for many months and I don't understand why you can't figure out that they're drastically different systems that work in drastically different ways.

Probably because they aren't that much different on a player perspective. A scripted event triggered by players.

This statement only proves you don't know anything about the system, how it works and why it's drastically different.

Are you saying that the choice an NPC can make won't be scripted ?

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

See, here's the thing.  Even if it is everything it is advertised to be and more, Storybricks is still a tool.

A tool in the hands of Sony Online Entertainment will be made into a wet, floppy dong, and flung at the player base couched in glowing terms of innovation and gold bullion.

Nothing Free to Play with a cash shop is going to revolutionize anything.  Smedley wants your money, and until SOE kicks him out on his greedy little ass and inserts a CEO with a focus on quality products over nickel and diming, obfuscation and marketing tactics, anything out of that studio is going to be irrelevant hype, not worth the sectors on the hard drive it's written to.

Just remember, before you throw more money at them, a tool is only as good as the people wielding it.