Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing article detailing the innovation of EQN and Storybricks

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

http://www.eqhammer.com/column/making-worlds-content-delivery-everquest-next

I think it's obvious that EQN will have amazing innovation features that have never been present in the genre. I think it is articles like this that prove it and anyone who thinks EQN isn't going to be innovative is fooling themselves for personal reasons all because I feel they are upset it isn't going to be a clone of what has come and gone and come again. Love the direction this game is taking but I'll not get too hyped till I see it in action for myself.

I think it is fairly obvious why Tenton Hammer and others have lauded over it's potential with unheralded and unprecedented awards!

EDIT: For some reason it isn't letting me link with the editor so just cut and paste.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    I'll give it 4 posts before someone says the game will fail because it's either a GW2 clone or has bad graphics. Oh, and it has all been done before, etc, etc.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Link is bad :(

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by evilized
    I'll give it 4 posts before someone says the game will fail because it's either a GW2 clone or has bad graphics. Oh, and it has all been done before, etc, etc.

Ya people will hate because haters are jealous.  Funny they slam the graphics when it uses the same engine as PS2 which has great graphics.  GW2 clone probably not as GW2 has a level system.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Yeah, the link isn't working for me either.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Robokapp
    I think the link speaks a lot about the game...

I think the link speaks about entitled gamers and how they cant cut and paste in to the search bar.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    I think the link speaks a lot about the game...

Atleast it's not lying.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I think it's obvious that EQN will have amazing innovation features that have never been present in the genre. I think it is articles like this that prove it and anyone who thinks EQN isn't going to be innovative is fooling themselves for personal reasons all because I feel they are upset it isn't going to be a clone of what has come and gone and come again. Love the direction this game is taking but I'll not get too hyped till I see it in action for myself.

I think it is fairly obvious why Tenton Hammer and others have lauded over it's potential with unheralded and unprecedented awards!

fixed

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Hopefully the people who keep spamming that emergent AI is the same as what GW2 did with "dynamic events" can read this article and educate themselves on why GW2's dynamic events and Story Brick's emergent AI system aren't even close to the same thing.

Great post Azz.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Hopefully the people who keep spamming that emergent AI is the same as what GW2 did with "dynamic events" can read this article and educate themselves on why GW2's dynamic events and Story Brick's emergent AI system aren't even close to the same thing.

Great post Azz.

Thanks.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

The thing is azz..   I'm not sure if this Storybricks is really innovation or just old school faction on steroids..  We are constantly told how NPC's will become smarter and be part of the world, and how choices "matter"..  It is also hyped how each server will be different from another due to the actions of the community..  But is that real difference or just cosmetic differences?   None of us know for sure..  Example of this is rallying calls (RC)..  It was said in the article, as well in other interviews, that players can effect a rallying call.. Such as if leaders of Qeynos  strike out to build new cities like Halas, Freeport, Highkeep and Rivervale, the players can aid in the progression of those cities..  So if the community splits up equally, each city will progress at 25% speed... Or, if the community focuses on ONE city it's completed faster..  So yes, all servers will be different, but that difference is only cosmetic.. Why do you ask?  Because eventually ALL 4 cities will be completed and look exactly alike..  The only real difference is the length of time it takes to complete the rallying calls. 

Now the thing is.. A significant change and difference would be that a class such as "Shaman" can only be learned from an NPC after Halas is finished, and only after you earned faction.. Now here a community can semi-effect the game world, but in such a way it prohibits other players from THEIR choices..  Will SOE allow that?  Unless the community can make permanent changes it's then all smoke and mirrors cosmetic.. 

Another example I gave in another thread was this..  Can the community effect a "real" difference in the world such as promoting a leader of a city such as Freeport to be tribal or religious..  If the community choose tribal, then learning to become a Shaman is possible, but if the community endorses a religious city then one can become a Cleric.. BUT you can NOT be both.. Now that is REAL difference.. However if you are a character wanting to become a Shaman, but the community on your server didn't endorse or follow that path, you are screwed.. Will SOE allow that?  Cause if they don't, then as I said, there really isn't any meaningful differences between servers..

So many details and question not asked or answered..  Lets wait and see what is actually served on "launch" day..

Edit:  Another example is, Can a community effect a city to HATE all Dwarfs.. and if so, make it so that any Dwarf character wanting to go into that city will be KOS and unable to every enter it..  But on another server that same city loves Dwarfs, but hates Elves..  Now that is real difference..

Originally posted by Rydeson

The thing is azz..   I'm not sure if this Storybricks is really innovation or just old school faction on steroids..  We are constantly told how NPC's will become smarter and be part of the world, and how choices "matter"..  It is also hyped how each server will be different from another due to the actions of the community..  But is that real difference or just cosmetic differences?   None of us know for sure..  Example of this is rallying calls (RC)..  It was said in the article, as well in other interviews, that players can effect a rallying call.. Such as if leaders of Qeynos  strike out to build new cities like Halas, Freeport, Highkeep and Rivervale, the players can aid in the progression of those cities..  So if the community splits up equally, each city will progress at 25% speed... Or, if the community focuses on ONE city it's completed faster..  So yes, all servers will be different, but that difference is only cosmetic.. Why do you ask?  Because eventually ALL 4 cities will be completed and look exactly alike..  The only real difference is the length of time it takes to complete the rallying calls. 

Now the thing is.. A significant change and difference would be that a class such as "Shaman" can only be learned from an NPC after Halas is finished, and only after you earned faction.. Now here a community can semi-effect the game world, but in such a way it prohibits other players from THEIR choices..  Will SOE allow that?  Unless the community can make permanent changes it's then all smoke and mirrors cosmetic.. 

Another example I gave in another thread was this..  Can the community effect a "real" difference in the world such as promoting a leader of a city such as Freeport to be tribal or religious..  If the community choose tribal, then learning to become a Shaman is possible, but if the community endorses a religious city then one can become a Cleric.. BUT you can NOT be both.. Now that is REAL difference.. However if you are a character wanting to become a Shaman, but the community on your server didn't endorse or follow that path, you are screwed.. Will SOE allow that?  Cause if they don't, then as I said, there really isn't any meaningful differences between servers..

So many details and question not asked or answered..  Lets wait and see what is actually served on "launch" day..

Edit:  Another example is, Can a community effect a city to HATE all Dwarfs.. and if so, make it so that any Dwarf character wanting to go into that city will be KOS and unable to every enter it..  But on another server that same city loves Dwarfs, but hates Elves..  Now that is real difference..

The key thing to note is that players will be able to change their surroundings by their actions and the world will also change over time even without player intervention.  You don't need to get so specific, as in something like "Can players bar other players from being shamans!?" to understand this fact.  They've already given examples of possibilities that work within their system.  Things like orcs taking over a town, and players driving orcs out of the town making it peaceful again where you can then use the town to buy items and resources... then the orcs could come back in force with a larger raid-sized army.... OR maybe brigands see the orcs are no longer there are decide to attack.  Or maybe that town turns into a xenophobic militarized community that attacks everyone on sight because they're so afraid from being attacked all the time.

All you questions have already been answered.  You don't need to know about a specific scenario you dreamed up answered right now.  The key point is that the world will constantly be changing and it's not the same as scripted events like GW2 or a simple faction KOS vs Friendly system.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

The key thing to note is that players will be able to change their surroundings by their actions and the world will also change over time even without player intervention.  You don't need to get so specific, as in something like "Can players bar other players from being shamans!?" to understand this fact.  They've already given examples of possibilities that work within their system.  Things like orcs taking over a town, and players driving orcs out of the town making it peaceful again where you can then use the town to buy items and resources... then the orcs could come back in force with a larger raid-sized army.... OR maybe brigands see the orcs are no longer there are decide to attack.  Or maybe that town turns into a xenophobic militarized community that attacks everyone on sight because they're so afraid from being attacked all the time.  This is already done by ArenaNet (GW2) with dynamic events, just on a smaller scale..  Trion's Rift touches this with their zone wide invasions .. So this really isn't anything new, it's just done on a bigger scale.. The wheel has already been invented, but because SOE is making it a bigger wheel isn't invention..

All you questions have already been answered.  You don't need to know about a specific scenario you dreamed up answered right now.  The key point is that the world will constantly be changing and it's not the same as scripted events like GW2 or a simple faction KOS vs Friendly system.

GW2's world is always changing too.. in fact each server is different then others..  No two servers are technically the same..  These are not real changes, they are only short term temporary effects.. Have you played GW2 yet? lol

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Sounds like a pretty cool feature to me. Here's to hoping it'll be as good in game as it is in theory.

Definitely a reason to keep an eye on EQNext.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• amx23amx23 Member Posts: 102
    Storybricks is an independent company with no prior games other than EQ Next which they are working on. Of course they are innovative and noone has seen the system prior to their 0.5 version shown at SOE live.
  • MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

Thanks for the link, another nice bit of information to digest.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Sounds like a pretty cool feature to me. Here's to hoping it'll be as good in game as it is in theory.

Definitely a reason to keep an eye on EQNext.

I agree. Not to be a Negative Nancy, but I'll believe it when I see it. No reason to get hyped about it. It does indeed soud great, but as to whether or not it'll be as good in game as it is in writing, is what I'm skeptical about. 

Rallying calls are triggered by players. The thing about triggering events in control of the players is that we can trigger them or not. Dark elves vs the dryads if we choose to help the dryads we may never see the dark elf rallying call. So its like changing events in history where we choose how the game progresses. Somebody may never help triggering the gnolls rallying call and it will be lost while if opposing pops up we choose that. 

Theres multiple ways of gaining a class it is not visit one guy in the mountaintop. And im pretty sure they figured out how to allow players to access those possibilites. Im even going to say if a the group that teaches a class is wiped out that they probably left scrolls behind. I remember a live stream 4 months ago where they said some classes can be learned by scrolls.

Ive never seen any game where the community can screw up player choices. Griefing yes, but not totally blocking people from getting access to content.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by amx23
    Storybricks is an independent company with no prior games other than EQ Next which they are working on. Of course they are innovative and noone has seen the system prior to their 0.5 version shown at SOE live.

StoryBricks has been around for a while.  They originally intended to write a game where people wrote stories using their system, but it never got off the ground.  Maybe they realized that their system was a good bit more complicated or technical than the average person was going to want to get into.  It seemed like a near perfect fit for developers looking to add intelligence and an organic feel to their game's AI though.

Their website has changed but there used to be pages describing how it would have worked in their games and I think there were some videos too.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

The key thing to note is that players will be able to change their surroundings by their actions and the world will also change over time even without player intervention.  You don't need to get so specific, as in something like "Can players bar other players from being shamans!?" to understand this fact.  They've already given examples of possibilities that work within their system.  Things like orcs taking over a town, and players driving orcs out of the town making it peaceful again where you can then use the town to buy items and resources... then the orcs could come back in force with a larger raid-sized army.... OR maybe brigands see the orcs are no longer there are decide to attack.  Or maybe that town turns into a xenophobic militarized community that attacks everyone on sight because they're so afraid from being attacked all the time.  This is already done by ArenaNet (GW2) with dynamic events, just on a smaller scale..  Trion's Rift touches this with their zone wide invasions .. So this really isn't anything new, it's just done on a bigger scale.. The wheel has already been invented, but because SOE is making it a bigger wheel isn't invention..

GW2's world is always changing too.. in fact each server is different then others..  No two servers are technically the same..  These are not real changes, they are only short term temporary effects.. Have you played GW2 yet? lol

I've played GW2 for many months and I don't understand why you can't figure out that they're drastically different systems that work in drastically different ways.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

I've played GW2 for many months and I don't understand why you can't figure out that they're drastically different systems that work in drastically different ways.

Probably because they aren't that much different on a player perspective. A scripted event triggered by players.

Why are we defending a game of this magnitude?? The content and storylines they are puttiing into Next is not to be beaten! The trolls have truly won in this age.

No way this game is NOT hyped up when it does everything different and seems to be the answer to fundamental problems of an mmo. People see it as a failure before it gets a chance to turn the genre upside down. But this is Everquest! the first and most popular mmo before the genre was turned casual. Where 200,000 people would clog the servers at a friday night and out of all the subscibers most people still remember it fondly. They get the same guys working on the content of this game and it will be widely successful in the years to come. Storybricks will just become more amazing as it nears completion, and as the AI improve so  will the expansions.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by amx23

Why are we defending a game of this magnitude?? The content and storylines they are puttiing into Next is not to be beaten! The trolls have truly won in this age.

No way this game is NOT hyped up when it does everything different and seems to be the answer to fundamental problems of an mmo. People see it as a failure before it gets a chance to turn the genre upside down. But this is Everquest! the first and most popular mmo before the genre was turned casual. Where 200,000 people would clog the servers at a friday night and out of all the subscibers most people still remember it fondly. They get the same guys working on the content of this game and it will be widely successful in the years to come. Storybricks will just become more amazing as it nears completion, and as the AI improve so  will the expansions.

there is nothing about this game that I find interesting to be frank.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Of course I am excited and anxious to play this , but I do fear this is a lot of pre release hype.  After all, some of this type of talk was heard prior to the release of GW2. I play GW2 and do love the game but I do admit the pre release hype and the actual gameplay differ in degrees of magnitude.  How will EQN actually play?   

Im still not clear if anything described is really all that different.  Players will now have choices. Okay,  They will still need to add these content choices in to the game.  Whether you call it an update, expansion, or whatever, developers will need to add these changes in to the game and players will be waiting for the next content addition similar to the way we already do.   It almost seems like they are just calling these systems by different names and trying to convince us they are new and different.  I hope they are. I will be there on day one to play this game and hope I am completely wrong.  Perhaps I am just a jaded gamer who has listened to much too much pre release game hype to believe what I read.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

EDIT: For some reason it isn't letting me link with the editor so just cut and paste.

Nothing innovative there, same o, same o with a different skin. Majority don't care about NPC's developing and story. That is a small percentage of the majority that will end up trying this game.

Oh wow, the inn keeper remembers me pissing him/her off. Yay!

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Nothing innovative there, same o, same o with a different skin. Majority don't care about NPC's developing and story. That is a small percentage of the majority that will end up trying this game.

Oh wow, the inn keeper remembers me pissing him/her off. Yay!

exactly..

I know some people care about storyline but not me or my friends.

I am also burned out on:

all things that look cartoonish

combat in general

quests

fantasy genre

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me