Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The First True RPG as an MMO?

For years, MMOs have been exactly what their name would suggest . . . MMOs, or massive multiplayer online games. And as such, players are often left feeling like they deserve more. I know you've felt this emptiness in recent MMOs too, where your actions seem so meaningless that the world and the game would hardly change, or even notice, if you decided to log off and never return. Few RPGs have attempted to do something as ambitious as the Elder Scrolls Online, and the ones that have often leave disappointed fans in the aftermath. Take Final Fantasy 14, for example, which is scheduled to be re-released as a Realm Reborn because it didn't meet expectations. ESO has potential that other MMOs haven't had in years, bringing the beautiful experience of an RPG for thousands of players to enjoy to together in a personalized MMO setting. One can only hope it will be as magical as it sounds.

If you found this brief entry interesting, you may also want to watch my video analysis of what this game could mean for us and the genre as a whole. Click on the link --> HERE! Or, if you prefer textual format, this is a link to MY BLOG!

Comments

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    I must be missing something. What exactly is TESO doing that is "ambitious" besides it being a single player series trying to cash in on the dying MMO genre.
  • RebornRealityRebornReality Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by jinxxed0
    I must be missing something. What exactly is TESO doing that is "ambitious" besides it being a single player series trying to cash in on the dying MMO genre.

I want to assume this was a rhetorical question, given that your response answers itself. How is it not ambitious for a single player series "to cash in on the DYING MMO genre," especially when other single player based RPGs have failed miserably in the past. The point of any business is to make money, and the Elder Scrolls games already have a proven method for making critcally acclaimed games that produce solid revenue. Furthermore, if bringing the vast landscape of Tamriel (which will include lands from previous installments like Marrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim) isn't ambitious . . . then I don't know what is. That's all I will say on the matter. I've learned my lesson in answering off-topic questions (red-herrings, as they are called) that are otherwise irrelevant to the matter being discussed.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by RebornReality

I want to assume this was a rhetorical question, given that your response answers itself. How is it not ambitious for a single player series "to cash in on the DYING MMO genre," especially when other single player based RPGs have failed miserably in the past. The point of any business is to make money, and the Elder Scrolls games already have a proven method for making critcally acclaimed games that produce solid revenue. Furthermore, if bringing the vast landscape of Tamriel (which will include lands from previous installments like Marrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim) isn't ambitious . . . then I don't know what is. That's all I will say on the matter. I've learned my lesson in answering off-topic questions (red-herrings, as they are called) that are otherwise irrelevant to the matter being discussed.

Eh? I don't think that was rhetorical, it was a genuine question... What the hell is TESO doing that's ambitious? It sounds like you're trying to say the fact that it's a SRPG going MMO is somehow ambitious, but plenty of other games have done that and there is nothing about TESO to suggest it will be more successful than those that came before.

There's also nothing ambitious about them using the whole of Tamriel when you have no idea how big the actual world will be. When you factor in that only a third of it will be playable to your faction there's more of a fear the game world will actually be tiny...

OP your entire premise for this thread makes no sense... TESO has no more 'potential' to be great than any other MMO developed by a major studio. If anything it has great potential to just join the long list of poor cash-ins on the genre as there is nothing yet to suggest this game will be anything special.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

"dying MMO genre" ahahahahahaha please tell me that was a joke? Please? No? Oh. I guess you don't know your facts then :)

I'm not going to research for you, but the MMO genre is very, very far from dead, in fact it's growing more rapidly than any other gaming genres.

Google it, research it, get the facts straight, then come back. 

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

TESO is lore breaking at best and stomps on many already pre established stories and events in the elder scrolls world, not only that but from what i've seen as an experienced/long time rpg player "and" mmo player, i can already tell how bad it is from the poor attack / spell animations to the overly cartoonized style of characters and how badly designed real time 3D armors are, that it doesn't fit one bit of previous instalment of this franchises. (And no, i'm not talking about the fancy looking cgi animations that does not even represent 1% of the actual game)

Not to mention how poor the graphic assets are, for single player rpg fans from Elder scrolls seeing it as the "most" beautyfully crafted rp series on pc, this will be a major, major let down, the characters are basically dumbed down graphically, just like bioware done with the last star wars mmo they released, 80% cartoonish and maybe 20% left of weird handled realism, and that is just like spitting shit on your fanbase's face that know well what they want from an elder scrolls game.

And this is'nt going to deliver any elder scrolls feeling, except for locations names and maybe the music. I didn't wanted to "hate" on this game but i can already see where it's failing, of course i'm looking at commercial / marketting videos and judging from that but as we all know, there won't be "dramatic" and radical changes animations and graphic wise until a full release and what they showed us is ridiculously poor, just take the time to have a good look at the quality of this production as it is in it's state and if you have the slightest expectation about the level of "standard" you actually want an elder scroll game to have, as a "fan" of this franchise, this doesn't meet by close nor far what you should expect from one.

This game is nonsensical bullshit from it's graphic design to lore stomping and if i were to say exactly what i'm thinking i would say they "sell out" and outsourced the job to some third party studio that does not know what they are fucking doing with the graphic asset of this game.

Teso just feels and looks like some generic mmo to fill the market and to make a bit of money between two "real" bethesda/ next elder scrolls game, don't come and say you weren't warned when this shit falls hard on your head when you preorder this and regret it less than a month into this poor excuse of a mmo, that shouldn't be named Elder scrolls at all, calling it out now.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Alberel

OP your entire premise for this thread makes no sense... TESO has no more 'potential' to be great than any other MMO developed by a major studio. If anything it has great potential to just join the long list of poor cash-ins on the genre as there is nothing yet to suggest this game will be anything special.

^This paragraph is perfect.

Although, this thread title is funny "Frist True RPG as an MMO"? SWTOR,  GW2  and WildStar all claimed/claims to be putting the RPG back into MMORPG. SWTOR/GW2 clearly failed (for different reasons). I don't expect TESO to be any different. Skyrim was streamlined toward action/adventure and the online version is greatly inspired by it. Note that it doesn't mean it will be a bad game, just not a real RPG (based on my own definition of RPG).

• bobm111bobm111 Member Posts: 153
    have to agree with the critic here. Really taking a great rpg and turning it into a daoc 2 is not my idea of bringing something new and wonderful. But ruining a great rpg comes to mind..
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by RebornReality

I want to assume this was a rhetorical question, given that your response answers itself. How is it not ambitious for a single player series "to cash in on the DYING MMO genre," especially when other single player based RPGs have failed miserably in the past.

Doing the same thing a ton of other companies have done is not ambitious. It's the opposite of that.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

I would say ESO is a true RPG. The class system is solid and highly customizable. However there are many things that break immersion, just like any MMO. It's a themepark so right off the bat you are limited by level and that breaks immersion.

ESO is innovative with it's questing system, the quests are fun and interesting, they are also the CORE of ESO. You did need to do almost every quest in the game to get to max level before Craglorn was released. Even with Craglorn you will be doing questing for most of your xp. ESO is also innovative with the level of detail in the world. You can run around in first person and it feels great sprinting through the zones or gazing out on top of a cliff etc.  It feels like no matter where in the world you are, there are landmarks and beauty in spades. The crafting system is pretty standard but has some nice features.

ESO is taking a step in the wrong direction with no AH, terrible LFG and multiplayer capability, lack of dungeon rewards, too much reliance on the trinity system which for ES games it would be cool to just be able to tackle and dungeon with some friends and not have to worry, "well we don't have a tank so, guess we will try again later..." As that is how I envisioned played ES with a buddy, just group and go.

PvP is Fun, but it just feels pointless in the grand scheme of things. I don't feel like I am advancing my character at all in PvP; not cosmetically or gear-progression. Class balancing feels shoddy and there is rarely a "fair" fight. Mostly whoever has the most people in an area will win and zerg battles rule the day in Cyrodil.

It plays well as a Single player RPG though. I would certainly recommend for that purpose.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • RelemRelem Member Posts: 3

It might be a good idea to define what a RPG actually is. And to do this you have to go to the roots of the RPG genre.

If you look at PnP RPGs, things are very different.  It's not all about combat. Depending on the game, there's politics and emotions. You have to choose an option that the character would do, not what you would do. And MMOs don't seem make it work.

For example, on DDO you have to do a quest to kill the worshippers of a different non evil deity, in the middle of an elf section of the city. You do the quest, get your xp and your goodies. In PnP, you would have to think long and hard as to whether you accept this mission or not. And you go against your characters actions, the GM is all over you. You know if you accept that mission, there is very little chance you are getting out of the city alive.

MMORPGs are little more then fine tune action games. You tweak a number here and there so you kill faster. 

Elder Scrolls, I played Beta and I liked it. However, what killed me was the phasing in the game. An MMO is a global social game. I play with friends all over the world. Phasing is a real problem when multiple time zones are involved. Is it innovative as you state? Well, no it's not. If you look at what you have to do, it is no different to any other MMORPG. It also doesn't bring anything new, apart from phasing, but that's only because it's the first time I've came across this. I also didn't like if you played x race then you belong to x faction, unless you pay extra for the uber collectors edition and play an Imperial. So you want me to pay for the game, pay for the subscription, and pay extra to play a race which you couldn't fit in anywhere else. It would be more financial sense to buy a Porsche with all the optional extras.

If figures about the production costs are true, I really don't see where the money has gone. 

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Why exactly was this pointless hype thread from a year and a half ago necroed now?

*edit*

Ok nvm that escape guy up there is actually a spam bot despite his 10 year old account.. the things you get to see on this site sometimes..

Harbinger of Fools
This discussion has been closed.