Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The world is about to change

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Oculus Rift retail version to be revealed Sept 20th.

I wonder if they will have some surprises to like games, Oculus peripherals

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/34312/20140823/oculus-rift-consumer-version-release-date.htm

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

It will launch to thunderous silence. Only those who feel the need to have every peice of latest tech will jump on it. Game support will be low at first. Then some other company, like Sony, will release a version later that will be better supported by game makers.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by lugal

It will launch to thunderous silence. Only those who feel the need to have every peice of latest tech will jump on it. Game support will be low at first. Then some other company, like Sony, will release a version later that will be better supported by game makers.

sony might but, sony has a problem.

The dev kit 2 is already 1080p. There are predictions that consumer edition might be 4k.

try running that on a playstation.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

The dev kit 2 is already 1080p. There are predictions that consumer edition might be 4k.

I dont care, I play on PC.  I could care less about 720p/1080p/4k as well, I do not buy products based on that. I buy what is the best value and has the best selection of games.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I dont care, I play on PC.  I could care less about 720p/1080p/4k as well, I do not buy products based on that. I buy what is the best value and has the best selection of games.

when it comes to VR its important. I have dev kit 1 and becuase of the resolution I get the screen door effect.

latency and resolution are important with VR.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Very cool.  Anyone know what games plan to support it?

Originally posted by grimal
    Very cool.  Anyone know what games are planning support for it?

Elite and Dangerious is supposed to be amazing with VR.

There are some new games in development as we speak like EVE: Valkyrie

When it comes to VR I very honestly dont care who 'wins' that race but I do feel like pointing out a few things as to why Sony might have more challenges in this.

1. For starters lets not forget the Oculus is no longer some kickstarter indie dev team. Its a 2 billion dollar company. Granted Sony is large but is Sony investing 2 billion in R&D?

2. Dev kit 2 is a Galaxy Note 3 screen, why do we think the consumer version would not be a Galaxy Note 4 screen when both the Galaxy Note 4 screen and the Oculus comerical version is going to be announced the same month? Galaxy Note 4 screen is rumored to be a 4K screen

3. The actual headset in this technology is mostly cheap and irrelevant. What really makes this technology possible now instead of in the 90s is the screen. The Samsung screen. The rest is mostly software and a cheap plastic headset.

4. Samsung is using Oculus VR software for its VR Gear.

5. zuckerberg asked to try out the sony headset and the same week after doing so he bought Oculus...hmmm

So what does all this have to do with Sony? mostly the fact that Sony doesnt appear to have a marriage in the making with the key manufacture of the screen which is critical in this device.

Samsung.

Now having said all this. If Sony makes a better one...ROCK ON!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

The hardware doesn't really matter much if the software sucks.  Developers are using VR for the same old virtual environments we've had for over 30 years.  There isn't anything wrong with that, but there also isn't much innovation either.

Imagine using VR tech in the real world, fused with Google Glass or something.  Here's an example of a great idea:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR5L0ZX8oLU , but intstead we're getting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq1XuIzCW1M

I saw a video awhile back where some guy was sitting in a room, and the objects in the room were virtual and real at the same time, such as a table, chairs, walls, etc.  Even his arms were virtual when he looked down on them wearing the headset.  I wish i could find the video, but i can't.

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I completely agree with this changing the world, not only gaming.   It made that Facebook douche spend 2 billions dollars after a demo. Whatever he saw must have been impressive. As for games, Carmack is involved. If the Rift is at a price to sell and developers jump on board, this thing will sell millions.  The possibilities are limitless. Imagine, instead of going to a movie, you witness the story in a VR environment.
    Originally posted by observer

The hardware doesn't really matter much if the software sucks.  Developers are using VR for the same old virtual environments we've had for over 30 years.  There isn't anything wrong with that, but there also isn't much innovation either.

Imagine using VR tech in the real world, fused with Google Glass or something.  Here's an example of a great idea:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR5L0ZX8oLU , but intstead we're getting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq1XuIzCW1M

I saw a video awhile back where some guy was sitting in a room, and the objects in the room were virtual and real at the same time, such as a table, chairs, walls, etc.  Even his arms were virtual when he looked down on them wearing the headset.  I wish i could find the video, but i can't.

that is horribly incorrect.

What makes VR possible now is not the software. That software could have been written a long time.

what makes it possible now is screen technology and head tracking,,,,hardware

Originally posted by Gorwe
    I, as a isometric/third person game fan, have nothing to look forward in this. Really, how could that like ever influence strategies and/or DnD like RPGs?

Thus I don't care. I fully understand that the people who love games such as Skyrim/mass effect/CoD and the like are going to fkkin LOVE OR, but us Strategy fans? In the words of eternal bunny:

Nyah!

yeah i think its safe to say all people who prefer 3rd person view over 1st person view will not like the oculus.

no doubt in my mind

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I, as a isometric/third person game fan, have nothing to look forward in this. Really, how could that like ever influence strategies and/or DnD like RPGs?

Thus I don't care. I fully understand that the people who love games such as Skyrim/mass effect/CoD and the like are going to fkkin LOVE OR, but us Strategy fans? In the words of eternal bunny:

Nyah!

Reminds me a lot of the comments people were saying about the internet before the WWW boom.

Originally posted by grimal

Nyah!

Reminds me a lot of the comments people were saying about the internet before the WWW boom.

to be fair VR is 1st person view on steroids. I never understood the appeal of 3rd person view so I cant explain why people like it but I do think those who prefer 3rd person are not going to enjoy VR

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Nyah!

You have a pessimistic and short-sighted vision of its potential.  The fact of the matter is that we do not know how this will all evolve and translate to in the future.  Sure, now it may not look very impressive during this, its infantile stage, but it's potential certainly will be huge.  This is the future of not only gaming, but entertainment as a whole.  You may not want to believe it now, but when it happens I hope you think back and give credit where credit is due. 

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Nyah!

I feel that if oculus rift does work well (offers good depth perception), then the days of 3rd person view MMORPGs are numbered.   The prevalence of melee combat and the lack of depth perception is currently allowing 3rd person view MMORPGs to dominate the market.  

This HL2 mod looks pretty impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-RehCTRrWM0

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I don't suspect much will change.  I have a feeling this will be another step in a journey that is still 10+ years away from ending. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I'm one of those people that prefer 3rd person view over first person.

In the elder scroll series I tended to switch but ultimately used first person view only to observe and nothing else.

All saying that, the oculus rift is something that interests me a lot and will eventually get it. Most games nowadays are becoming stale with all the same mechanics and few new features, with the oculus rift I'd say some new feeling of immersion might be given to make you feel like you are in the game. *cough* Sword Art Online *cough*

I'll be definitely keep an eye on it but won't pick it at launch since I want to see how this new piece of gear is utilized in the gaming industries hoping it doesn't get left behind. (Currently it's mostly indie that support the oculus or create oculus only games)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

I'm a third person guy, but having seen the version one devkit demo, I'd switch.  The peripheral vision is good enough, and the depth and dimension were convincing.  

I think this will be the breakthrough that paves the way.....especially as it has the funding.

Just like Moog and Arp didn't make the first synthesizers, but they designed the first easily, widely used ones. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by MMOman101
    I don't suspect much will change.  I have a feeling this will be another step in a journey that is still 10+ years away from ending. 

Technology has been picking up pace.  With every passing day technological achievements are compounded.  What may have taken 5 or 10 years to innovate and implement in the past, is now being done in half the time or less.  Don't ever underestimate the power of technology when placed in the hands of brilliant minds.  Amazing discoveries in technology are happening every day.  We will all be sitting in our homes wearing VR headgear vacationing in distant fantasy worlds before you know it.  That perfect VR wife, girlfriend, or one of each, is not as far away as you may think. ~ o.O ~

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

My guess is that the world wont' change until those goggles are the size of sunglasses with probably equal style.

The average person isn't going to be too keen on strapping some "thing" on their face and looking like a dork.

Especially for a video game.

Virtual reality will probably get more traction with the less intrusive it is and the more "real world" applications it can enhance.

Such as talking with the family hundreds of miles away and having it really feel like you are there. Or business meetings. Or training missions.

Eventually "regular" people will find the entertainment value of it all.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Since the 1980s, headset based virtual reality/3D has proven a dismal failure. Oculus will be no different. It's a technological dead end that will be featured in a "Whatever Happened To" article in the future.

3D/virtual reality will only really catch on when there is no more need for glasses or headsets. Until then, it's a gimmick/dead end technology and nothing more.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Sovrath

My guess is that the world wont' change until those goggles are the size of sunglasses with probably equal style.

The average person isn't going to be too keen on strapping some "thing" on their face and looking like a dork.

Especially for a video game.

Virtual reality will probably get more traction with the less intrusive it is and the more "real world" applications it can enhance.

Such as talking with the family hundreds of miles away and having it really feel like you are there. Or business meetings. Or training missions.

Eventually "regular" people will find the entertainment value of it all.

Exactly - I've used Occulus Rift for 45 min - and other than nausea, headache after 15 min - by the end of it, I was so glad to get the damn thing off my face.

The pressue on my head/face was not pleasant.

Cool tech - yes - it's the best VR headset I'ever tried - BUT it's not ready for prime time yet IMO.

Also this pretty much sums up my experience:

lol, "oh dear" image

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by OSF8759

Since the 1980s, headset based virtual reality/3D has proven a dismal failure. Oculus will be no different. It's a technological dead end that will be featured in a "Whatever Happened To" article in the future.

3D/virtual reality will only really catch on when there is no more need for glasses or headsets. Until then, it's a gimmick/dead end technology and nothing more.

The questions you have to ask yourself is ... is the vision still around today, has it evolved, and has it improved?  If the answer to those three questions is "yes," then it has not been a failure at all.  It is an evolution of technology that is still in progress and if it is still around today and still evolving what makes you think that it will not continue to do so?  It is now in the hands of a multi-billion dollar company.  It's going to happen.  It is destined.  Future technology screams VR headset.

• reemireemi Member UncommonPosts: 45

Seriously, Maybe I'm too old but I have no but NO interest about gadgets like that and I really don't understand people. I'm not nerds enough to wear that in public to play a game and I like to see things around me when i'm using my computer, even if I'm alone and I'm never alone anyway... 

I already think people use their cellphone too much, I hope this thing will just fail and I hope my kids won't use glasses all the day to go on facebook or whatever... :S

Matrix, we are coming!! 

Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by OSF8759

The questions you have to ask yourself is ... is the vision still around today, has it evolved, and has it improved?  If the answer to those three questions is "yes," then it has not been a failure at all.  It is an evolution of technology that is still in progress and if it is still around today and still evolving what makes you think that it will not continue to do so?  It is now in the hands of a multi-billion dollar company.  It's going to happen.  It is destined.  Future technology screams VR headset.

You know, I kind of agree with him.

Future technology screams "Virtual reality WITHOUT a headset".

Or something akin to the coolest glasses evah!