Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Former player wanting to come back!

FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99

Hi!

I played Rift from beta to a few months after release. I'm pretty sure I even pre-ordered it. I loved, LOVED the game back then. My only "issue" was that my friend and life-long co-op partner didn't really dig the game (Why? Beats me. I think it might have something to do with the art style). Anyway, I've been teetering on coming back many times since, but didn't really want to play alone. After realizing that every MMO seems to be a single-player game with sometimes other players running around (except GW2), I said "fuck it" and am considering Rift again.

I don't really care for end-game content, since I really, really enjoy the questing / exploring more than I enjoy repetitive choreographed dances for hours (although I was a hardcore raider in WoW, those days are behind me). So... the core of my concerns, since it went Free To Play:

Is it a BAD F2P model?

By BAD I mean being limited without the purchases. I refuse to play and support business models where you have to purchase inventory space with real money; or where mounts are exclusive to the cash shop; or where purchased items have a limited duration (i.e., extra bank slot for 1 week). Those kinds of shops drive me away from every F2P game. I don't care if you can purchase BiS items... after all, I believe in cooperation, not competition with my peers.

Also: is the game still good? Even better? Did going F2P affect its quality? Is experimenting with builds still viable, or is everyone flaming other players for not following THE OP build? Speaking of flaming: how is the community? Helpful people or stuck-up snobs like WoW? I don't have much hope in that department, since I've played every single major MMO / multiplayer game released since 1999, and the communities in general are becoming worse... Just want an inside opinion, though!

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Hope I get some answers before downloading the game again (I practically live in Narnia, with the most cringe-worthy Internet connections).

Cheers!

EDIT: The reasons I ask this are because: you cannot access the shop unless you're in-game (and a quick Google search didn't yield much information about it), and ArcheAge has hands down the worst business model after Black Gold Online. So...

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The game has a better f2p model than Archeage mainly because there's no lp system, so you have free range to alot of stuff except for some souls and bag space/character space. AH access you still need to drop 5$ or get REX, which is like 1.1k plat depending on server. I dont really play much since I'm waiting for 3.0 to drop, but all in all its a pretty stable game that isn't really going anywhere unless they screw up patches again.
  • FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99

Thank you! I downloaded the game and tried it out... The cash shop isn't that bad, at least not to someone who owned the game and had 6 months veterancy. I had an extra bag slot, some special currency and other minor benefits. But I felt completely lost in the game. Too much to learn, I guess. I suppose I was looking at the game through rose-tinted glasses.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Cheers!

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

I returned about a month and half ago and enjoyed the F2P model. I even threw in my credit card and was really thinking about Patron or some REX to get the newer souls I missed out on...

...until my account got hacked and $110 got spent in the cash shop on a bunch of REX and all my ingame plat was taken. I had to call my bank and report fraud and get a new debit card. Trion has no telephone support and the chat would not let me talk to a live person because I was not a Patron member. All they had was an email ticket system that took about 3 hours to do an initial refund. And then my account got banned. They sent me an email stating I needed to do a long list of things to restore my account. Did all of it and because it's the weekend and they appear to be off on weekends I suppose, I have to live with a banned account until they restore it...during the week.

This was a poor business choice to move to a f2p model and have zero phone support to talk to a live person when fraud is involved. A ticket system works for simple account hack and resets, but when over $100 of credit card charges are involved it's unacceptable to not have anybody to talk to.

I'll not spend 1 dime on a Trion F2P game until they add a support line for account fraud.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>