Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So this is Firefall NGE?

EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

As we all know this game came out a couple of years ago and seems it has a niche following of gamers, some veterans have moved on and some have stayed, but I notice there seems to be a increase in gaming activity with new players just discovery this game now. Apparently this game has changed according to veterans and most calling it Firefall NGE now.  We all saw that same thing happen to SWG years ago when they decided to make SWG into a themepark style mmo to keep up with WoW success.

I just recently revisited this game about 3 weeks ago once I saw it on STEAM, I had thought this game had been scraped like many mmo's we have seen and never kept it on the radar till now.

You can tell their still are veterans out there that either burned out or just got upset since the game changed on them and I can understand their anger with Red 5 Studios as I had with SOE / Lucasarts SWG.

All I can say is this, if you have never touched this game in the past and you are a new player to this game, you may like FF. First of all, it's F2P like many other mmo's out there today. If your into movies like Starship Troopers or like random shows like Defiance on SyFy network, you may like this game for that quick PEW PEW image

The game does have many elements that made games like Rift, Planetside, Tabula Rasa, Tribes and even Auto Assault image popular with it's niche players

I don't want to come off like a big fanboy of the game, because the game still has bugs in it and still feels incomplete on what it should be. I still get DC and freeze ups on my machine, but I keep pushing. But if your tired of swinging an axe and casting spells, this game could easily be a game where you get your quick fix in when your taking a break from your main mmorpg.

This scene from Starship Troops reminded me of a situation we were in just Squad Thumping for ore, we must of had over 24 players in the area participating just randomly killing bugs and chosen. PEW PEW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgq0ecMHfzc

Is FF a good game? I think it is, it's actually holding my attention span for now, but you'll only know if its your type of game if you give it a chance. Like all mmo's, things are quite confusing in the beginning, but once you start to get the knack of the game, you may enjoy a little fight here and there, come time to time to scratch that itch with a MMO FPS.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I wouldn't call it an NGE but they did make a lot of changes towards generic mmo and away from their attempt to do something different.

The game play hasn't really changed and the events they had before are still there, just not as much. The progression wasn't good before and now it's just a level grind so that was bad to bad. It's the crafting part of the game they really stuck a knife into. A game can survive just fine without meaningful crafting but it's sucks they went that way with firefall.

But if there's one thing these devs are not above doing, and that's making changes to the core game. So maybe they'll make crafting worth doing one day.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    They took away the freedom of the open world with world events and turned the map into lvl specific areas with quest hubs. so yeah its like every other mmo now.
  • illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I wouldn't call it an NGE but they did make a lot of changes towards generic mmo and away from their attempt to do something different.

This.

The only "content" it has currently is leveling more frames so you can level more frames.

There is so little "storyline" content and such long'ish XP level spans, that there's not enough content anywhere to actually run 1-40 game twice.  Literally everything you see in the first 1-40 run through, is all you have to look forward to on the next frame you level up.  Worse than that:  There's  no reason to team up other than completing the jobs faster (by having another player waiting closer to where the next staging site will pop).  So for those reasons, it's actually a single player Grinder, disguised as an MMO thanks to a pay-to-advance cashshop and A.H..  It is literally DiabloIII /w jetpacks and not the good later Reaper-DiabloIII w/e when all the obnoxious unnecessary crap got taken back out.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Just my little 3 weeks into the game, I believe the game is what you make of it.

This game can be a class-a-holic addiction since your only avatar can switch to different BF's @ whatever appropriate level you last left the new BF at. Yeah, repetition can set in quite easily depending on your style of play.

Me and my buddies like to challenge ourselves and mix up our BF's to find the most effective combo in the game and been pacing ourselves instead of racing to level cap. However I am starting to notice more players in higher level areas than the lower levels now.

All in all, the game is fun and looks promising, however I am wondering how in the world is RED5 Studios making any money in this game. The store to me looks purely cosmetic and some items are way overpriced, but I guess time will tell where this game ends up.

• jefflim902jefflim902 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

Just my little 3 weeks into the game, I believe the game is what you make of it.

This game can be a class-a-holic addiction since your only avatar can switch to different BF's @ whatever appropriate level you last left the new BF at. Yeah, repetition can set in quite easily depending on your style of play.

Me and my buddies like to challenge ourselves and mix up our BF's to find the most effective combo in the game and been pacing ourselves instead of racing to level cap. However I am starting to notice more players in higher level areas than the lower levels now.

All in all, the game is fun and looks promising, however I am wondering how in the world is RED5 Studios making any money in this game. The store to me looks purely cosmetic and some items are way overpriced, but I guess time will tell where this game ends up.

Good observation on the money making system, let's hope that this does not become a pay to win game in the future.

• mdrilon222mdrilon222 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by jefflim902

Good observation on the money making system, let's hope that this does not become a pay to win game in the future.

Seconded, played F2P to not spend on stuff, I try to keep my cash off of my MMO's as much as I can. :p

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

I like to support games that I like (FTP). That being said I do not go overboard and Red 5 needs to step up the items available in the cash shop. 

Firefall took a huge step in the wrong direction on launch and Red 5 is slowly improving the game now. Dynamic events are spawning better and they have a good temporary event in game. They need more events like OCT in the other areas.

Still needing work::

-jump jets

-Death squads (where are they?)

-invasions

-Incursions

-Crafting

The game is getting better and I am back playing it. Defiance was just such a bad experience as a new player. 

• romaguilarmelromaguilarmel Member Posts: 11

As we all know this game came out a couple of years ago and seems it has a niche following of gamers, some veterans have moved on and some have stayed, but I notice there seems to be a increase in gaming activity with new players just discovery this game now. Apparently this game has changed according to veterans and most calling it Firefall NGE now.  We all saw that same thing happen to SWG years ago when they decided to make SWG into a themepark style mmo to keep up with WoW success.

I just recently revisited this game about 3 weeks ago once I saw it on STEAM, I had thought this game had been scraped like many mmo's we have seen and never kept it on the radar till now.

You can tell their still are veterans out there that either burned out or just got upset since the game changed on them and I can understand their anger with Red 5 Studios as I had with SOE / Lucasarts SWG.

All I can say is this, if you have never touched this game in the past and you are a new player to this game, you may like FF. First of all, it's F2P like many other mmo's out there today. If your into movies like Starship Troopers or like random shows like Defiance on SyFy network, you may like this game for that quick PEW PEW image

The game does have many elements that made games like Rift, Planetside, Tabula Rasa, Tribes and even Auto Assault image popular with it's niche players

I don't want to come off like a big fanboy of the game, because the game still has bugs in it and still feels incomplete on what it should be. I still get DC and freeze ups on my machine, but I keep pushing. But if your tired of swinging an axe and casting spells, this game could easily be a game where you get your quick fix in when your taking a break from your main mmorpg.

This scene from Starship Troops reminded me of a situation we were in just Squad Thumping for ore, we must of had over 24 players in the area participating just randomly killing bugs and chosen. PEW PEW

Is FF a good game? I think it is, it's actually holding my attention span for now, but you'll only know if its your type of game if you give it a chance. Like all mmo's, things are quite confusing in the beginning, but once you start to get the knack of the game, you may enjoy a little fight here and there, come time to time to scratch that itch with a MMO FPS.

Right on the button!

• Originally posted by IMPYRE

Agree...Firefall's grown on me too. If you played it in Beta and you liked it before, you'll probably still be here now, playing it. Like me. I'm a Sci-Fi MMO player for years now, and for a game being an FPS for it's combat style, that's the big draw for me. I do understand how people perceive the failures of the game and the developer, but in the long run, that shouldn't even be the issue when you power up your PC and sit down to enjoy a quick mission or two. It's when, as you say, need to "scratch that itch with a MMO FPS", that you weigh the options in your mind on what you want to use to scratch that Firefall still appears as a big thought balloon. That's how easily accessible it is to me. Options come and go, but it's always been installed on my desktop. ;)

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

It's such a departure from spells, swords, fairies, that it makes it very appealing and extremely refreshing. I started an assault and about level 10 i started a recon, now i have a 24 assault and a 30 recon, with 3 battleframes still to try and zero sign of boredom has set in. The only change is my desire to play the chit out of this game increases daily. The difference in game play with each frame really changes the dynamic of the game. The ability to be able to obtain anything in game via crafting and leveling provides plenty of challenge to those who love to work for they get, don't want to work for an LGV for example then just buy one.

Last night we had 3 overland events going in the same area, a rolling boss and some one drops a thumper smack dab in the middle of it all, F#CKING AMAZING TIME. AMAZING GAME!!!

I'm at a point i might buy some red beans just cause, i don't want or need anything to progress, but want to support the game.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

What a legacy SWG has left that every game since has had a moment where the "NGE" tag is applied...Sony would probably be pretty happy if their NGE resulted in such a seemingly active game. Now, I wonder what Firefall's version of the CU will be. ;)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• katrjavikatrjavi Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Husvik

It's such a departure from spells, swords, fairies, that it makes it very appealing and extremely refreshing. I started an assault and about level 10 i started a recon, now i have a 24 assault and a 30 recon, with 3 battleframes still to try and zero sign of boredom has set in. The only change is my desire to play the chit out of this game increases daily. The difference in game play with each frame really changes the dynamic of the game. The ability to be able to obtain anything in game via crafting and leveling provides plenty of challenge to those who love to work for they get, don't want to work for an LGV for example then just buy one.

Last night we had 3 overland events going in the same area, a rolling boss and some one drops a thumper smack dab in the middle of it all, F#CKING AMAZING TIME. AMAZING GAME!!!

I'm at a point i might buy some red beans just cause, i don't want or need anything to progress, but want to support the game.

truly for love of the game, that's great!

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by mklinic

What a legacy SWG has left that every game since has had a moment where the "NGE" tag is applied...Sony would probably be pretty happy if their NGE resulted in such a seemingly active game. Now, I wonder what Firefall's version of the CU will be. ;)

You know what is sad is when you see old videos of Julio Torres like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UXM_BLAQg

They actually thought we would buy into the NGE crap, anyways didn't mean to derail my own thread image

Back to FF.

I see the game is growing since I see a big increase in players where once I just saw bugs hanging around.

This new event has spark some interest in the player base, so maybe the NGE version of FF is great for those that didn't know the game before its transformation, however I am just guessing here.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

They actually thought we would buy into the NGE crap, anyways didn't mean to derail my own thread image

Back to FF.

I see the game is growing since I see a big increase in players where once I just saw bugs hanging around.

This new event has spark some interest in the player base, so maybe the NGE version of FF is great for those that didn't know the game before its transformation, however I am just guessing here.

It's funny, but just based on the title, I opened this thread expecting it to be a lament about the changes the game has gone through leading up to release.

I agree with the way you see it though. The game seems pretty busy and I haven't seen signs of this decreasing. Granted the game is still new-ish to a lot of people, so who knows how it will all shake out. It's a fun game and gives me something I can jump into for my sci-fi, but not spaceship, fix. :)

I've seen many people telling others "come back when you've maxed out a frame" or various statements about the game becoming less fun, but really, right now, I'm having a blast and just enjoying the journey more then the destination. If it turns out to get tedious, well, it didn't cost me anything for the fun I've had so far.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• lindzzamoralindzzamora Member Posts: 17

Back to FF.

It's funny, but just based on the title, I opened this thread expecting it to be a lament about the changes the game has gone through leading up to release.

I agree with the way you see it though. The game seems pretty busy and I haven't seen signs of this decreasing. Granted the game is still new-ish to a lot of people, so who knows how it will all shake out. It's a fun game and gives me something I can jump into for my sci-fi, but not spaceship, fix. :)

I've seen many people telling others "come back when you've maxed out a frame" or various statements about the game becoming less fun, but really, right now, I'm having a blast and just enjoying the journey more then the destination. If it turns out to get tedious, well, it didn't cost me anything for the fun I've had so far.

the free tag helps tremendously, plus the fact that its not pay to win is much more appealing to a lot of people, me included.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by lindzzamora

Back to FF.

the free tag helps tremendously, plus the fact that its not pay to win is much more appealing to a lot of people, me included.

The lack of pay to win leaves me wanting to spend money to support the game however the fact that i can work and craft for what i want leaves me nothing to spend money on, i've already crafted two lgv's so i might buy one simply to support the game.

I believe this is the first game i've ever felt deserves to be supported, they literally have gone here PLAY for FREE. How can you not support that?

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    If you are a new player you will enjoy the game, but if you are one of the older founders you will not (with few exceptions)

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• patpatrevillapatpatrevilla Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    If you are a new player you will enjoy the game, but if you are one of the older founders you will not (with few exceptions)

I'm a relatively new player (couple of weeks old), how so? I mean, I kinda want to know the reason why newer players would have enjoyed it more than the founders.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I liked the NGE...
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by patpatrevilla
    Originally posted by mayito7777

I'm a relatively new player (couple of weeks old), how so? I mean, I kinda want to know the reason why newer players would have enjoyed it more than the founders.

Simple, you see in the beginning there were no high demands for crafting, you could craft anything with easy, the way to unlock the technological tree to unlock the frames was awesome. 

I remember going close to the border of the meld high up in the mountains and drop thumpers and hundreds of bugs will pop up and we will have such a good time killing bugs, the snipers had a blast, the main tanks had a blast, it was enjoyable, we just need more content.

Then the red devs decided to introduce a bunch of changes against the vast majority of the players desires. They introduce damage (removed in this version now), they introduced the most convoluted crafting system ever, the refining requirements went crazy and most of the founders called quit.

It was sad to see a game that only need more content to become a great game been destroyed by the developers and their lack of vision.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY