Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recommend your favorite TBS

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

looking for solid Turn Based Strategy games. i have played Civ5 into the ground :)

so list your favorite top three TBS games.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Blackguards

X-Com (UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep). The recent reboot was good too.

Fallout 1 & 2 and Fallout Tactics

A few more than 3 as i put sequels in.

Honorable Mention

Jagged Alliance 2

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Civ IV with Fall From Heaven 2 mod.

Dominions 4 (if you have time to learn it and get into the multiplayer & can look past the graphics).

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

X-COM Enemy Unknown

Age of Wonders 3

King's Bounty series (everything except the original King's Bounty which is already old)

Master of Orion 2

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Total War Series.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

My top is still Master of Magic (20 years later).

The Heroes of Might & Magic is a good series, too, though I stopped with them around 4. I think 3 may have been my favorite.

I am not sure of a good third choice. I have not played a lot of good turn based strategy games :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141
    You can get panzer general for free and its still one of the best tbs games
    If you're looking for newish ones the xcom remake was good.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

ive been thinking about XCOM b/c of the steam sale. im not sure what is meant by the XCOM remake though, which one is that? The Bureau?

also, looks like a goodly number of suggestions that i can look through for other options. thanks everyone, i appreciate it.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by aspekx

ive been thinking about XCOM b/c of the steam sale. im not sure what is meant by the XCOM remake though, which one is that? The Bureau?

also, looks like a goodly number of suggestions that i can look through for other options. thanks everyone, i appreciate it.

There was a FPS (The Bureau - XCOM Declassified) but they made a remake to the original strategy title as well which was called XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Gorwe
    It just occured to me:Have you tried Wesnoth? Is a fun game with 16 campaigns and possibly endless amounts of maps.Hey! The panzer general was mentioned, so why not Wesnoth(I remember playing Allied general as a kid. But That's a story for some other time ;) ).
    Thanks for the Battle of Wesnoth suggestion. Looks interesting. And FREE! Downloading now :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by aspekx

Take a look into XCom - Enemy Within for Enemy Unknown if you can also grab that on a sale. It's an expansion pack that makes the game many times better, IMO. And actually more difficult, but that's always a good thing in my eyes. Just stay away from Impossible difficulty :P