Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still bugged group play?

KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
Is the group play still bugged, not able to see your friend when doing quests etc? I was planning on resubbing and starting a new char with a friend, but can we play together? Or just solo with shared chatroom? At launch I just soloed so all was well but I remember the huge raging about not being able to quest together.

Comments

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    It was never a problem if you knew how the system worked.
  • SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I believe phasing is still an issue with grouping. I wanted to pass on what I do with my real life friends I play with in ESO and other  MMOs.

• Dedicate one character to play with your friends and make an alt to play when you have more free time than your friends.
    • You're richer because of it (saving for that mount!), and you're able to make some armor / weapons for your low level and your friend if you do crafting.
    • Try a different faction and see a different starting area.
    • Join a good solid guild and meet some like minded players to hang with when not with your real life friend.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Don't you just right click the group leader? I could be wrong, but from what I've heard its as simple as that.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Buggy games is the industry standard - believe it - and so is overpaying - believe it as well
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    Buggy games is the industry standard - believe it - and so it overpaying - believe it as well

Except that it was never a bug, simply a bad design choice.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Lets say my friend does a generic 3-quest chain in the world, then we group up later and I begin the same chain, will we be able to see each others?

Will we be able to see each others if we are exactly at the same step of a quest at all times? I recall some people complaining that they cant see eachothers even if they are on the same step of the quest.

I'm just trying to figure out if there's any way to play the game with a friend and be able to progress as a group most of the time. I believe there's some quests though where you have to solo no matter what?

Originally posted by Kuinn

Lets say my friend does a generic 3-quest chain in the world, then we group up later and I begin the same chain, will we be able to see each others?

Will we be able to see each others if we are exactly at the same step of a quest at all times? I recall some people complaining that they cant see eachothers even if they are on the same step of the quest.

I'm just trying to figure out if there's any way to play the game with a friend and be able to progress as a group most of the time. I believe there's some quests though where you have to solo no matter what?

Like I said even at release it was never a problem. If on the same part of a quest and not a solo instance you could join with your party. Only people that didn't know how, were crying bug.

As for joining on different part of quest I can't answer since I don't play anymore and don't know if they ever worked that out.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

They indicated that they were going to implement a change whereby if a group of people were in a "group instance" they would all be on the same section of the person who was on the earliest part of the quest.

Whether or not they have implemented this yet is not known to me as I have been doing my own thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

The answer is yes to your question, group play is still buggy and poorly designed.  You need to be on the same part of the quest with some of the same decision branches to be effectively grouped together.  Craglorn, the new content is a mix of one time only quests that you need to be on the same part of, and repeatable quests that you can restart and join up with.

They have made a few changes, but they are mostly cosmetic, such as

Labeling instances as group or solo

Nerfing veteran content to reduce the need to group to complete it

The game is fun, but they swing and miss more than they hit with game designs outside the MMO norm.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Guess we'll just download some free to play crap and check back later this year. I tried to browse the patch notes but didnt find anything suggesting the grouping is smooth now.

It's kinda funny, when I was soloing at launch I though "oh give the game a break, it's really fun" but now that I'm aiming to start a group venture, I get frustrated just trying to find out if the game is even playable (crazy thing you have to dig patch notes trying to figure out if you can group up in a mmorpg for the leveling).

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    The mega server idea is crap from the start.......Bad idea !
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Originally posted by delete5230
    The mega server idea is crap from the start.......Bad idea !

I am so surprised you think that.

Mega Servers are here to stay, they may find a work round for the grouping issues, but rant all you like the industry is not going to give up mega servers. They are cheaper, that magic word is all that counts, expect them in every new MMO by 2016.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Mega server is very good when a game does not have enough people to play the areas are all full of people. If you had single servers they will look empty. Even in WoW they are combining servers into groups and when you play a new character it's always busy with people. Though you might have to fight for resources with them but you know it's still better than ghost servers.