Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KZ's Executive VP: "Guild Wars 2 Sales Exceeded Expectations"

AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

17173 interview with executive vice president of KongZhong Mrs. Zhangying Nan.

• GW2 China sales exceeded expectations
  • 48 and 72 hour free trial cards released in August
  • Some general words about upcoming tournaments

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Glad to hear it's doing well, though I am disheartened at the different pay-style.

I wanna see what china brings to the PvP arena.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Well done GW2, well done!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    I'm not sure if the link actually says GW2 sales exceeded expectation.  Maybe it is another link  I take a quick glance through it, dont' think they actually say that.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us it's all bullshit they're just making things up and his room mate just quit playing so their numbers are clearly going down.
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us it's all bullshit they're just making things up and his room mate just quit playing so their numbers are clearly going down.

well they did bs about the 460k concurrent user gw2 have.  That's why that page is taking down.

I'm waiting for the next sales number.  That is probably more accurate than saying something like "it is doing better than expected".

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I suppose that's good, although it's unclear how big an impact this'll have on the Western side of things and if that impact will be positive.
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    I suppose that's good, although it's unclear how big an impact this'll have on the Western side of things and if that impact will be positive.

I think it should be positive.

A game making money means the company should care more about keeping making money.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    This was also mentioned in the quarterly financial report.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407

It's easy to say your game is doing great financially when you handle all the statistics internally and refuse to release them.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Originally posted by Scalpless

I think it should be positive.

A game making money means the company should care more about keeping making money.

Sure, but the two markets are quite different. What Chinese MMO gamers tend to like (grind, cash shop) is directly opposed to what I like. Then again, ANet's direction is already more in line with the former than the latter.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Ludwik

It's easy to say your game is doing great financially when you handle all the statistics internally and refuse to release them.

Let me guess.....your room mate just quit ?

The guy does have a point though.

Try thinking about other games and how much bash they got when they release player population numbers.

If Anet were to release actual concurrent player numbers, or monthly logon their get bashed too.

Just look at the AP scoring board, you'll notice a huge percent of the players didn't get very far in GW2.

And I'm not bashing GW2 in anyway.  The truth is people think a game have 4 million sales would mean they retain a huge percentage of the players.  That just aint so.  

Wow have 100 million acounts created, they only have 7 million or so players right now.  It's expected a huge percentage of the people who bought GW2 quit already.  But Anet never need to get bashed like every other games because they never release any data(beside the financial report).

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by laokoko

The guy does have a point though.

Try thinking about other games and how much bash they got when they release player population numbers.

If Anet were to release actual concurrent player numbers, or monthly logon their get bashed too.

Just look at the AP scoring board, you'll notice a huge percent of the players didn't get very far in GW2.

And I'm not bashing GW2 in anyway.  The truth is people think a game have 4 million sales would mean they retain a huge percentage of the players.  That just aint so.  

Wow have 100 million acounts created, they only have 7 million or so players right now.  It's expected a huge percentage of the people who bought GW2 quit already.  But Anet never need to get bashed like every other games because they never release any data(beside the financial report).

I dont believe or validate any gold farmer numbers coming out of China especially since they already had false numbers coming out last month and just started allowing free time cards  or as I call them gold seller  ID cards. That being said the games numbers are probably more valid than anything EA has put out on TOR which is  a steady stream of endless BS from a game we all know is a dead wasteland of unplayable crap. All GW2 did was betray its player base, but the game itself is playable in a Zergy pointless collect food colors kind of way.