Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Sacred 3: Nothing's Sacred Anymore

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With a pair of well-regarded titles already in existence, both firmly planted in the action-RPG genre, Sacred 3 had what amounted to a built in audience on which to unleash the game. Yet it does not take long playing the game to determine that Deep Silver and Keen Games have let down the series' existing audience and are unlikely to garner very many new fans either.

The bottom line is that simply calling a game "Sacred" doesn't mean it that it actually is Sacred.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Sacred 3: Nothing's Sacred Anymore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    I still have original Sacred. I think i will just fire up the disk and play it again. 
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

This game just screams "MEH" to me as well.

The decision to go with yet another hack&slash (and a terribly executed one at that) while retro games like the original are actually making somewhat of a comeback is sort of baffling too.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I loved Sacred 2 and when I saw what Sacred 3 was through the videos I was facepalming...they ruined what I enjoyed about sacred 1 and 2..so sad..had big expectations for this game
  • LilithMLilithM Member UncommonPosts: 82
    I loved Sacred. Me and my sisters used to spend over 100 hours playing it, over LAN, and switching between it and Diablo II. Then Sacred 2 came along and well, it was fun for a few days here and there, nothing really special. For years we have been waiting for a sequel that could rival the first game. And so Sacred III arrived and wow, why the hell did they have to used the name Sacred III? Call it something else, Sacred the Repetitive Arcade of Dulling Senses, or something. At least I did not spend any money on it. Played it at a friend's house and I was the good friend and did not tell her "I TOLD YOU SO", as I warned here beforehand...
  • DraeghorDraeghor Member UncommonPosts: 50

Absolutely agree with what was said in the article, though I think some of the ratings are a bit high.  I bought the game even though there was a lot of negatives and people screaming "Run Fast and Far Away!".  But I have a lot of friends that I got into Sacred in the early days, and I wanted an un-biased review.  So I bit the bullet, and boy were people right.

The worst for me was the impossible keyboard control, just to move your character in a straight line down a corridor.  yes, a game pad did help, but you have just thrown away 50% or more of your playerbase just by awful controls.

Glad the developer published an apology, though he did not have to.   The company really needs to send out an apology and remove this piece of trash from existence.

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141
    A friend of mine was excited about this title and disappeared one night to play it. That was the only time he ever mentioned it. Ill have to ask him what he thinks. I have a feeling he wont have good things to say.
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I saw it streamed and thought that it might be ok if on the 80% markdown of a Steam sale as it was not worth $50 from what I saw. Now wondering if want to pay that much if forced to gamepad to enjoy the gameplay.

Watched PS4 D3 streaming and thought about how simple the game seems there over the PC version and I did not think the PC version was that difficult. If this is designed for a controller then guess that is why it looks like a base game that is waiting for the extras to be put in like loot.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    All of the gaming community's very vocal anger over Sacred 3 helped me discover the amazing Sacred 2, which I am currently enjoying. Sacred 2 is better than any Diablo game I've played and I have no clue how I didn't know about this gem sooner. Literally the best ARPG I've ever played.

Smile

• tane100tane100 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Clear declining quality this franchise has
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Very interesting that this is coming out of the people who advocated for the total destruction of the good things that GW1 had when talking about GW2. GW2 is nowhere near GW1 in design, there are elements enjoyed immensely in GW1 that are not in GW2 and will never be, and people who played GW1 have since left GW2 because of these lacking items and the silence from Arenanet. Yet another publisher, one with a smaller budget, does the same thing and received a scathing review. Anyone else notice this?

• KorthagKorthag Member UncommonPosts: 44
    perfect score
  • JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Razeekster

All of the gaming community's very vocal anger over Sacred 3 helped me discover the amazing Sacred 2, which I am currently enjoying. Sacred 2 is better than any Diablo game I've played and I have no clue how I didn't know about this gem sooner. Literally the best ARPG I've ever played.
    ~ this pretty much, havent played either sacred or sacred 2 before but after reading about sacred 3 being so bad i figured the other 2 must have been rather decent and decided to check it out... then realized i already own sacred 2 gold (probably from some old bundle, lol) and so far im really enjoying it.

so they managed to make a sequel for amazing arpg, thats stripped of pretty much all features that actually made it so good, and put a $50 on it :o at least it looks like gamers have finally decided to stop paying for crap though, because steamcharts for this one look rather depressing, lol

http://www.steamcharts.com/app/247950

daily high 167 :P

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Steam price £39.99 .. elsewhere on the net £20.99. Steam over charging again!.

Twitch tv .. 20 viewers.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

I think one could simply of linked to Sacred 2 and said play this instead, in all honesty. It's on steam or, if you are the odd individuals who hate it, Good Old Games as well.

http://www.gog.com/game/sacred_2_gold

The game, as many have honestly said, is so far unaligned with its predecessors that it's nigh criminal to even be labeled as a numeric sequel. Sacred: Citadels at least had the decency to identify (and price itself accordingly) as a spin off title removed from the main series mechanics.

A shame, of course, because Sacred 2 was, while arguably weak at times, rather charming overall. It wouldn't of won any "Best Of" titles to me, but I had played and enjoyed my time with the game. This one, no...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Really bad game that should have never been called Sacred 3.

Regarding the controls, I have to say that Keen Games managed to ruin WASD controls in a game like this one. A proper WASD control in a top down environment attaches the mouse to the aim of your character so your character will walk in any direction and always be facing towards the mouse cursor.

Im always wishing more ARGPs offer the option of proper WASD controls and these guys not only limited the game to that single option, they did it wrong...... /facepalm

• protodoxaprotodoxa Member Posts: 14
    I am worried that they have killed the series entirely, which would be a shame because Sacred 1 and 2 are great games (although a new player nowadays probably would need to go in prepared to forgive some silliness and awkwardness). I just don't get what they were thinking at all.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by Draeghor

Absolutely agree with what was said in the article, though I think some of the ratings are a bit high.  I bought the game even though there was a lot of negatives and people screaming "Run Fast and Far Away!".  But I have a lot of friends that I got into Sacred in the early days, and I wanted an un-biased review.  So I bit the bullet, and boy were people right.

The worst for me was the impossible keyboard control, just to move your character in a straight line down a corridor.  yes, a game pad did help, but you have just thrown away 50% or more of your playerbase just by awful controls.

Glad the developer published an apology, though he did not have to.   The company really needs to send out an apology and remove this piece of trash from existence.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Lots of reviews not a single one good about this game and you had to go and support them so they'll make a even more shoddy sacred 4 or take the name of some other fairly well know game and destroy it.

Still that's why shoddy campanies like this one use the names of past successful games. They know they can just rush any crap out the door with a name on it and some fan will buy it for name alone even when they've been told (a lot) how bad it is.....

Sad

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by protodoxa
    I am worried that they have killed the series entirely, which would be a shame because Sacred 1 and 2 are great games (although a new player nowadays probably would need to go in prepared to forgive some silliness and awkwardness). I just don't get what they were thinking at all.

Deep Silver just wanted to milk that franchise a bit more. Since the Original developers, Ascaron, dont exist anymore they got this company that has no memorable development record and just made a mess. Also i believe Keen games said before that they wanted Sacred 3 to sort of resemble Sacred Citadel, which apparently was the worst Sacred spin off ever made. So i really still dont know how could they call this Sacred 3 when it was not even claimed to be a proper Sequel.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

The REAL developers behind Sacred 1 and 2 are actually making a spiritual successor to Sacred. Website is here. It was called Unsacred, but Deep Silver threw a hissy fit over that name, so it was changed to Unbended.

Looks promising so far.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• masaki23masaki23 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    This was a rushed job here. How do you make a arpg like this and have no loot?
  • SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

Is it my imagination, or is this theme pretty much the constant (though encountered sooner and more obvious in Sacred) in MMO's anymore, the (general) theme that causes an eventual game-failure for players either sooner, or later, depending on the mix of detail elements in the game:

Cater to the quick-buck idea of pew-pew, gerbil wheel (e.g. dumb) grinds.  Throw some "eye candy" at the game to keep players distracted, but, overall, simple, mechanical grinds covered in paper mache.

I remember the original Age of Conan intro Trailer, the panoramic views of landscapes that looked spectacular, with the commentary stating " . . . a Living, Breathing world . . ." 

Marketing at it's best.

I keep coming back to some kind of idea, a ponder:  Why is the idea it's got to be one of the BIG dev houses can only make a good game, coupled with so many dev houses bought up by bigger publishers (e.g. NCSoft)?

Where do things break down in business management to the point a dev house with a style, flavor, "spirit", what have you, to the point they have to "sell out" for a larger money stream?  On the surface we can find all sorts of "obvious" answers.

Why don't we see some enterprising soul avoid the disease of "try to be everything to everyone because "success" is only measured by money alone" . . . and select a target audience, a game play and environment profile, then hire a dang good accountant they trust and work well with, and manage the business profitably so it can GROW.

We've got an entire industry flooded with run-around pew-pew, give players too much way too fast.  That segment of the player population is satisfied in selections 3x over.

"Living Breathing world" . . . that would indeed be the next step.  Of course not everyone might have the same thoughts as to what that means.

What would that mean to you, in the context of a subscriber logging into a game you pay for.  What would you value, or keep you subscribed over a longer period of time?

Apart from the business stuff mentioned above in general, Sacred seems to have fallen prey to the "standard" anymore for release:  Satisfy the pew-pew and easily repeated gerbil-wheel dynamic, that's good enough. 

The legacy of the Bobby Kotick school of game design?

Thanks for the article.

Wherever you go, there you are.

• SynraSynra Member UncommonPosts: 8

Wow, I haven't played Sacred 3, but this really sounds like an overly bias, hate filled review.

First of all, I did own and play the original, and while it did have some cool stuff to it, it was far from being a quality ARPG. I remember it was actually so buggy, broken and unstable at launch that I gave up on playing it. Only when the expansion pack was released, did I finally pick it up again and complete it. And even then, it was a snore fest of a game. I really don't understand why people would be surprised that Sacred 2 and 3 aren't very good either.

But despite that, this review really has me scratching my head. One moment, you rage about the game because they attempted something different in terms of loot and advancement. And then, the next moment you are chastising the game because it doesn't do anything innovative. What? It seems to me that trying to create a new way of doing equipment and advancement in an ARPG is pretty innovative. Maybe not successful, but at least they tried.

Lastly, the point about controls. Again, maybe they weren't successful with it, but I applaud them if they have attempted to do away with that Diablo style control system. I have always hated that control system. I don't feel like I am playing my character, I feel like I am playing the mouse pointer. Yesterday I started playing Diablo 3 on PS4, and I am just blown away by how much better it feels and plays with a controller instead of that gawd awful mouse driven control scheme. It made me seriously wish that PC ARPGs would get away from the mouse, and build a more console style control system.

So maybe Sacred 3 isn't a very good game overall, but at least they tried to do some things different, rather than be another reskinned Diablo.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I like the no random loot though. I'm probably a minority in that but I don't like games with too much RNG on gear. Although if it was not all RNG like you know which mobs will drop what, then I like the hunt for loot aspect.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Sacred series was very fun and original in some mechanical ways. The idea of morphing(basically) skills in 2 was ahead of its time. It had a Fatal design mistake:

It was too easy to power through the content. In just 30 mins of playing you can get a lvl...60? Unicorn as a Wood Elf. Then you get recuperate and the game becomes...you get it.

Meanwhile in games like Diablo you have to earn your power. No lvl 56 golem vs lvl 30 Flayer.

That flaw just killed it for me. A game shouldn't be soulcrushingly hard, but it shouldn't be cakewalk easy as well.

If I could, I would make mobs not respawn as well. It kinda kills the immersion for me in sacred 2. Sacred 2 is way better btw.

Oh about 3? What sacred 3?

Um... Been playing Sacred 2 for hours... I'm only lvl 10. There is no way to get to lvl 60 in a half hour unless you're hacking/using cheat codes, so no clue what you're talking about.

Smile

• killkoolkillkool Member UncommonPosts: 83

Sacred a game a have good memories on came out around  2004 Best RPG then according too PCGAmer

Then there was the expansion pack Sacred Underworld in 2005

Around 2008 Sacred 2 Fallen Angel came too light 

Around 2009 Sacred 2 Ice and Blood

Then the waiting begins 5 years later there was sacred 3, My magazine Gameplay said already wait by buying sacred 3,

because the the greatness you had in last 2 sacred games for PC games is gone. Only a nice trailer. And rest of game play is worthless. This is game made only for soul purpose too cash in on the good name of sacred.

This game is not even worth 1$. All the greatness what ascaron has made,  will be gone for ever throungh hands from Keen games and  only be made for ps2 gameplay something what a PC gameplayer who used too his mouse not wants.

I still have Sacred II with nice map and a good story what  I can play for hours. Too forget this horrible sacred 3 game.

AK