Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie questions on getting into WoW...

Dave3161Dave3161 Member Posts: 13

Hello,

I'm considering trying WoW because frankly I hate listening to some friends/family cracking WoW stories and jokes and having no clue. I would like to try it myself before mentioning that I bought it to friends/family. I have a few questions:

1. I'm wondering if I'm too late in general to start as a newbie and levelling up from level 1?
  2. Will this instant level 90 completely clear out lower levels? Will it be impossible to find people to do dungeons with at low levels after the expansion has launched?
  3. Is there any other reason why not to get into WoW this late?
Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Dave

Comments

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701

1: No its never to late, still lots of new people joining plus at this stage of the exp there will be plenty of people rolling alts.

2: I dont think so i think you will always find people lvl there toons from scratch.Dungeons at lower lvl's are alot quieter then at max but if u dont mind waiting 20 or more minites u cant find groups.

3: Not in my opinion wow has been and will continue to be popular, i think any time is a good time to join really.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Dave3161

Hello,

I'm considering trying WoW because frankly I hate listening to some friends/family cracking WoW stories and jokes and having no clue. I would like to try it myself before mentioning that I bought it to friends/family. I have a few questions:

1. I'm wondering if I'm too late in general to start as a newbie and levelling up from level 1?
    2. Will this instant level 90 completely clear out lower levels? Will it be impossible to find people to do dungeons with at low levels after the expansion has launched?

Dave

1.  No, leveling is incredibly fast, you don't even need to use the level 90 boost, you'll be level 90 in under 3 weeks max.

2.  No, but the preponderance of the player base is at level 90.  Few people do dungeons at the lower levels because leveling is so fast.  Basically, quest reward gear is all you need to level.

3.  Maybe the operative word is too early.  WoD launches in November, the skill trees will be revamped, all the character models (well most of them) will be revamped, play styles will be adjusted, item squish is implemented... in other words, what happens pre-WoD is essentially not applicable post-WoD.  Probably best to wait closer to launch if you wish to level from 1 - 100.  If you don't wish to level, wait for launch day and use the free 90 boost.  You will all be equal on release day.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Hi

1: No it is not to late. While the low level zones will be sort of empty leveling is quick until you hit outland and then again once you get in to Northrend. The level boost also give you options if you find the game fun but leveling in empty zones boring.

2: No there are always people re-rolling and with the new design of the classic races some people will most likley find a spot to level up another hero. In fact i think the zones will be more lively this time then in Mists.

3: Not really. It can seem a bit daunting and some of the locals are a bit stand-off:ish. But if you pick a well populated server you will never lack people to play with and there will be no problem to find a guild that fit your very needs if you would like to.

WoW is still a very good game and rarley force you as a player to do things you do not like to do.

This have been a good conversation

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Right now would be the best time to get into WOW because the new expansion is 3 months away. Gives you time to settle on a class, hit max level, find a guild, etc. Even with the 90 boost there are always people leveling and doing dungeons so don't worry about.  People on this site love to hate on WOW because it's the cool thing  so I would suggest you try it for yourself and form your own opinion.
  • Dave3161Dave3161 Member Posts: 13

Big thanks to all of you for the great replies. I initially thought it would be way more expensive to get into WoW (with all the expansions) but it's only $30 so going ahead and grabbing it. Looking forward to doing it from level 1 to be able to see most of the game and learning my class. Thanks again.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Big thanks to all of you for the great replies. I initially thought it would be way more expensive to get into WoW (with all the expansions) but it's only $30 so going ahead and grabbing it. Looking forward to doing it from level 1 to be able to see most of the game and learning my class. Thanks again.

Remember that WoD will be $50 and that does not include free game time like in the initial game purchase.  Expansions don't include game time.  So start setting aside $65 for the launch of WoD.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Welcome and yes i agree this is the best time to get into WOW. A lot of new changes and graphic updates for character along with garrisons. WOD might be the best expansion so far.

Originally posted by Pepeq

Remember that WoD will be $50 and that does not include free game time like in the initial game purchase.  Expansions don't include game time.  So start setting aside $65 for the launch of WoD.

Thanks for the heads up Pepeq, and that's fine.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Welcome and yes i agree this is the best time to get into WOW. A lot of new changes and graphic updates for character along with garrisons. WOD might be the best expansion so far.

Sound great! Really exited to get started. Thanks.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

I was getting interested in WoW again and was looking at the class forums and each forum had multiple threads about "1 button macro's". That made me lose interest.

Is this what the game has turned into with everyone using macro's? Back when I played I barely had any mods and no macro's and did pretty well for myself. Do you need to use mods and macro's to do good in this game now?

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Xirik

I was getting interested in WoW again and was looking at the class forums and each forum had multiple threads about "1 button macro's". That made me lose interest.

Is this what the game has turned into with everyone using macro's? Back when I played I barely had any mods and no macro's and did pretty well for myself. Do you need to use mods and macro's to do good in this game now?

Not the topic for this discussion. But Macro's is a matter of choice and are not compulsory. I played Rift and WOW for years but not once used macros.

If i start making decisions on actions of what others do in a game i won't be able to enjoy anything.

I'm not worried at all as I'm having fun in the present. Although I read the forum to learn it seems that experienced long-term players have expressed their concerns about oversimplification in the beta of the new expansion e.g. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13978338149

Although in my case I have to stress that this does not concern me at all, as I'm enjoying the level 1 to 90 at the moment. I will decide at 90 what I'll do. :)

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I'm not worried at all as I'm having fun in the present. Although I read the forum to learn it seems that experienced long-term players have expressed their concerns about oversimplification in the beta of the new expansion e.g. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13978338149

Although in my case I have to stress that this does not concern me at all, as I'm enjoying the level 1 to 90 at the moment. I will decide at 90 what I'll do. :)

Enjoy the ride! I haven't played WoW in a couple of years, but it's one of those games that's great to check out, since they've done a lot of great stuff with that game. And the WoW universe is an interesting place. :)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Hello,

Dave

1. Between now and the release of the expansion you should be able to level a single character.

2. The instant level 90 shouldn't clear out lower levels any more than it already has.  There may not be as many brand new players initially, but it is only 1 level 90 character.  Most people will have at least 2.

3. What reason have you had for not getting into the game until now?  In terms of game play WoW is very polished and in terms of being able to get into things like dungeons or battlegrounds, WoW is very good.  The questing can be engaging, or it can be a breeze, depending on how you play.  That doesn't mean everyone will like it though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I am not a huge wow player,dark souls for me but I think ill buy the next expantion.

I play it for the dungeons that comes quick like level 15 I think.

you level quick but its an old mmo when you get to level 40`s it feels like work,but its the right time when the expantion comes than you can skip the levelling till level 95-thats what I am going to do.

only thing wrong with wow is they force you to pay a sub.even if you buy the game for that month.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
     think mists of pandaria is only 10euro atm also, which is a bargain :)
  • angrycopangrycop Member Posts: 7

Hey guys, well i decided to come back to wow today after work and since the last time i played was 4 years ago... I have no longer friends and guild to come back so.. looking a good server pvp / pve with friendly ppl and guilds. I really want to play again and i see a lot of changes ( a LOT ), getting tier armor and great weapons would be difficult for someone playing solo ? ( like i said no friends in wow now ) . The flying mounts not going to work anymore in the new xpac right ? 

Thanks for answering and sorry for hijacking the post !