Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Playing EvE? Perhaps reconsider.

Comments

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski
    Originally posted by Dihoru

I've been scammed, ganked, griefed, targeted by professional corp killers, got strung out to dry for CEO incompetence, used as cannon fodder, had assets stolen from me by someone who pretended to be a friend, etc all in EVE... and guess what softies? I don't compare that to rape and never will because the act of forcefully subjecting someone in real life for your own carnal gratification can never, ever, ever, equate to a few curse words as you lose some pixels for whatever reasons. In EVE Online the very first advice you are given: Do not fly what you cannot afford to lose and the second arguably is Do not believe things that are too good to be true.

The OP violated EULA rules by discussing GM actions on the forum and this is a pretty universal rule, more so than his "If it harms the game it is against the EULA!!" comment, and proceeded to fail repeatedly at thinking his actions out beyond the first step in a sandbox game which IMHO is downright asking for it ( you seriously wanted to setup a NRDS zone in Stain? even Black Frog wouldn't be suicidal enough to support shipping runs that deep in space on a constant basis and you wanted to do it anyway? With what alliance backing you? None? in a zone that's been a hotbed for conflict between the Russians and the western player alliances since before I joined EVE which was in 2005? Wow... just...wow).

I do not blame victims but people who basically slather tartar sauce on themselves and jump into a tiger pit aren't victims and the OP was asking for it... considering there's a block function for people in-game (thus verbal abuse can be dealt with within 1-2 minutes) and considering that if he had any real support cloaking gank can be mitigated quite easily (nothing ruins a pilgrims day than a cloaky legion or loki uncloaking behind it and blowing it apart).. I cannot condone this thread as anything other than the wishful fantasies of someone who wants the freedom to do whatever he likes but does not want everyone else to have the same freedom which IMHO is far too common these days (hint: one of the reason SWG NGE hit was people disliking other's freedoms) .

As for the guy who had cancer who got ganked...despicable as that may seem he forgot the first rule of EVE: Do not fly what you cannot afford to lose. because that gank may have happened even without his friend's help... shit happens all the time in EVE. That said I personally take a hard line against people who, for whatever reason, get or expect preferential treatment in EVE because I personally have health issue, nowhere near as severe as cancer for example but sufficient that a strong enough blow, which would be non-fatal otherwise, could outright kill me, and find the notion of people giving me any kind of special treatment disgusting (I've left corps in the past for this, I prefer getting ganked to the ganker going "Oh... you have issues... ok I will not shoot you but shoot your friends!" ).

EVE is a sandbox, it is not inherently evil or inherently good that is dictated by the players within and say what you will about that freedom to choose but do not take away from it with "If it damages the game you get banned" because that rule can and has been used to cry wolf in many games before and developers less sure of their vision have fallen for it but CCP while it has that rule applies it only in extreme cases to preserve player freedoms. You want to blame someone for the game being so hostile? Blame the players because we as a whole have a few psychopaths and sociopaths amongst our ranks but just like in real life: If he/she ain't looking at me I do not care.

One of the very few reasonable responses to this ridiculous thread. 

Seconded.

Where's the any key?

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Majinash
    Originally posted by ace5572

This guy is the perfect example of the average EVE player....

Seeing a lot of this in the thread.  Is this EVE-ism or something?

First they came for the EVE players,

But I was not one of them...

As an "average" Eve player (or former average Eve player, as these days I simply don't have enough spare time to play it decently though I did for years, my account is now inactive), I resent remarks like that.

In all the years I played Eve:

-I never said disrespectful racial slurs to anyone

-I never sent death threats

-I never scammed anyone that I knew had any serious illness or disability (don't even remember meeting anyone at all in either of those conditions)

-I gave helpful advice wherever I could to newer players I was flying with, and sometimes even in the help channels

-I played together with people from nearly every known continent (possibly at least once having a small gang with people from every continent all at the same time) and most known religions, ranging in ages anywhere from 14 to 64, and we were able to get along together without any issues

-I can't remember if a single other person I flew with in the corps I was in over the years ever said a single heavily racial slur or real world death threat to anyone, even people we were at war with.

Don't let a couple of extreme, heavily publicized examples of utterly f*ckwitted a$$hats color your entire opinion of the entire Eve playerbase. Yes, people like that may be in there...but they also make the most fun targets :).

Where's the any key?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Last time I was on (long ago), there were helpful corps.  that would spend time working with new players and there are some good people.  Also there are people who would happily pod you and dance on your dead clone in chat.  After awhile it just gets old.  Beautiful universe though.

After I saw the CCP video highlighting that a player could join a corporation, work has way up to a position of trust, then dismantle that corp.  I knew what the Devs were into.  Wild, wild, west...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Eve is the cesspool for all players who find the limited amounts of misery they can inflict upon other people in standard MMOs insufficient.

And this isn't an insult to EVE Players... because EVE Players know it and wear such labels as a badge of honor.

All I can say is, thank you CCP. You gave the worst of the worst an MMO they can all play... and not be in the ones I'm playing. 

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Eve online is a social experiment on how to bring the worst on humans been to levels not seeing since Fascism.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Ikonoclastia

Griefing  

stopped reading here

Not every online game needs to be carebear heaven with artificial barriers and gamey safemode mechanics. Some people prefer sandbox gameplay. Get over it.

Just pick one of the shovelware casual themeparks that protect you from any meaningful or remotely interesting multiplayer interaction and be happy with it.

Bit of a late reply but if you Googled my in game characters name "Infinity Ziona" you'll find my character was what most people referred to as a "griefer".

I'm in the EvE wiki having created the Privateers alliance, a war deccing corporation.  I played for 10 years, the majority of that time as a high sec war deccer killing carebears for extortionate purposes, then branched out to attempting to extort null sec alliances and also dabbled in piracy.

I had no issues with non-consentual pvp, non-consensual pvp is the reason I played for so long.  The issue is at some point CCP lost their ability to distinguish between non-consensual pvp and harassment.  

Nobody should be allowed to follow a single player, using a disposable alt you can't hurt (just reships and comes back) and a ship with no fittings other then a covert ops cloak and possibly a cyno, with the express purpose of verbally harassing that person.  I put up with this because I thought screw it, don't let the moron ruin your gameplay but the final straw was CCP ignoring the harassment and then warning me for using the F word after this person harassing me reported me.  The report obviously just another form of their harassment.  The F word and much much worse, I'm talking sick perverted stuff that should get people insta-banned in Jita and Amarr being ignored,  is extremely common in EvE.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Going by this thread, most Eve players simply no longer understand the difference between griefing and Open wold non consentual pvp/scamming etc.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by jusomdude
    I was looking for a game with good space gameplay and was thinking of trying eve again... but I guess I'll just wait for elite and star citizen.

Eve gameplay is not about space ships & space ,Eve is about players interactions sand box MMORPG game,it is not SP+MP sci fi game.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

with it.

Bit of a late reply but if you Googled my in game characters name "Infinity Ziona" you'll find my character was what most people referred to as a "griefer".

I'm in the EvE wiki having created the Privateers alliance, a war deccing corporation.  I played for 10 years, the majority of that time as a high sec war deccer killing carebears for extortionate purposes, then branched out to attempting to extort null sec alliances and also dabbled in piracy.

I had no issues with non-consentual pvp, non-consensual pvp is the reason I played for so long.  The issue is at some point CCP lost their ability to distinguish between non-consensual pvp and harassment.  

Nobody should be allowed to follow a single player, using a disposable alt you can't hurt (just reships and comes back) and a ship with no fittings other then a covert ops cloak and possibly a cyno, with the express purpose of verbally harassing that person.  I put up with this because I thought screw it, don't let the moron ruin your gameplay but the final straw was CCP ignoring the harassment and then warning me for using the F word after this person harassing me reported me.  The report obviously just another form of their harassment.  The F word and much much worse, I'm talking sick perverted stuff that should get people insta-banned in Jita and Amarr being ignored,  is extremely common in EvE.

Excellent response.

Something I've tried to argue for in other PvP MMOs is for people to recognize the difference between PvP or even griefing "in the spirit of the game", and outright harassment of another person that goes far beyond what the game encourages. 

If someone is calling another individual a pedophile or any other such thing, that should be grounds for - at the least - a temp ban, and a stern warning that the next time, they're gone for good. 

Sadly, "it's open world, hardcore PvP sandbox... that's what it's all about maaaan" has become people's way of giving themselves permission to behave in any way they want, without any sense of personal accountability. This is just the old "it doesn't matter, it's just a game" rationale taken to an extreme. It's people who want to (ab)use the anonymity of an online persona to act out in any way they want without repercussion, and then hiding behind the paper-thin defense of "hardcore PvP sandbox play" when called out on it.  

I don't know what CCP's deal is, and why they aren't handling it in a more strict manner. Maybe they're too busy trying to get their own business back on track after their recent unusuccessful streak. But if they actually allow that kind of stuff - especially after that whole blow-up with The Mittani - then I really don't understand where their heads are, either. I can't believe they'd actually be of the opinion that it's perfectly okay to bust through the 4th wall, and begin attacking a person in real life, as "part of the gameplay". But maybe they do. Who knows.

Regardless, forget "sandbox open hardcore PvP". There's a point where basic human decency and common-sense should come into play - and that's on the individual to recognize. That it doesn't for a number of people is really disturbing, to me.

And incidentally, this kind of stuff doesn't only happen in Eve. I'd seen similar things in L2 and other open PvP MMOs I've played. I think Eve just gets more attention for it because the "events" tend to be so much more costly. 

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195

Do the developers simply turn a blind eye to this conduct or are they complicit in it?

Its their playerbase, without it, game would fail, thats why they are not doing anything about it.

I really like the idea of EvE but the shit that happened in this game over the years

have made me say NO to any kind of idea of resubbing. EvE has become the 4chan

of the gaming industry and that is just disgusting.

But there are other games to play, its not the end of the world.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Griefing  

stopped reading here

Not every online game needs to be carebear heaven with artificial barriers and gamey safemode mechanics. Some people prefer sandbox gameplay. Get over it.

Just pick one of the shovelware casual themeparks that protect you from any meaningful or remotely interesting multiplayer interaction and be happy with it.

Oh my, this is too priceless.  You spent 10 years hunting down the weak and helpless, harassing players with your emergent game play, attacking pretty much only those who couldn't fight back, and as soon as one of them retaliates by following you around and calling you bad names, you fold under the pressure?   image

When I think of all the people who likely found themselves station spinning because of you and your ilk, (just because you had no problem with non-consensual PVP doesn't mean they didn't) it is only fitting that when the time came, you couldn't figure out a way to handle it yourself, (er, there is a block feature, right?)

Yes, there is justice in the universe after all, I can only imagine how the folks at CCP viewed your harassment complaint, I'm sure they were all thinking, "HTFU" noob. 

You knew the score, cause enough grief in EVE and someone is going to try to take you down.  Too bad if you don't think the tactics they employed were fair.  All's fair in love and EVE, we all know and accept that.

Thanks for this reply, you made my day.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

To the clowns claiming "freedom" is the reason for this douchebagery, I say this:

You have the "freedom" to lop the head off of a toddler. Most people don't because they're not frothing at the mouth sociopaths looking to ruin things for others. So take your "freedom", roll it up real tight, and shove it up your tailpipe.

Originally posted by Pratt2112

with it.

Excellent response.

Something I've tried to argue for in other PvP MMOs is for people to recognize the difference between PvP or even griefing "in the spirit of the game", and outright harassment of another person that goes far beyond what the game encourages. 

If someone is calling another individual a pedophile or any other such thing, that should be grounds for - at the least - a temp ban, and a stern warning that the next time, they're gone for good. 

I don't know what CCP's deal is, and why they aren't handling it in a more strict manner.

You are speaking nonsense, seriously.  You are saying CCP should ban people for name calling?  What's too bad of a name?  Pedophile, Asshat, Doo-doo head? 

When you try to control language, you go down a very slippery slope very quickly and things can get out of control.

Unless the name really fits, who cares what sort of smack talk someone throws at you, besides rule 1 of Local, never respond or talk, though players like the OP usually don't follow this solid advice.

I can see if a player threatens to harm you or your family in real life that's crossing the line, but in game name calling, c'mon, you have to show some stones in EVE, and shrug crap like this,

I'm a carebear, I don't grief other players, I don't name call, nor smack talk in local.  When I get killed by someone the most they ever get from me is "GF", even if they outnumbered me 10 to 1.

I've been stalked by Mercs like the OP many times in my EVE career, fought battles to the death (usually mine) against them, saw my corporations disband, rename, flee to null sec, or on rare occasion, successfully fight back.

I've no sympathy for the OP, in fact, now I know another tactic that I could easily employ against a griefer, should I ever feel the need to use it.  Never would have thought this would be successful though, I suspect against most players in EVE it wouldn't.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Ganksinatra

To the clowns claiming "freedom" is the reason for this douchebagery, I say this:

You have the "freedom" to lop the head off of a toddler. Most people don't because they're not frothing at the mouth sociopaths looking to ruin things for others. So take your "freedom", roll it up real tight, and shove it up your tailpipe.

Please, don't compare some reprehensible, over the top crime in real life with in game douchebagery, totally different things.

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Griefing  

stopped reading here

Oh my, this is too priceless.  You spent 10 years hunting down the weak and helpless, harassing players with your emergent game play, attacking pretty much only those who couldn't fight back, and as soon as one of them retaliates by following you around and calling you bad names, you fold under the pressure?   image

When I think of all the people who likely found themselves station spinning because of you and your ilk, (just because you had no problem with non-consensual PVP doesn't mean they didn't) it is only fitting that when the time came, you couldn't figure out a way to handle it yourself, (er, there is a block feature, right?)

Yes, there is justice in the universe after all, I can only imagine how the folks at CCP viewed your harassment complaint, I'm sure they were all thinking, "HTFU" noob. 

You knew the score, cause enough grief in EVE and someone is going to try to take you down.  Too bad if you don't think the tactics they employed were fair.  All's fair in love and EVE, we all know and accept that.

EvE is both a PvP game and a PvE game.  Many claim its a PvP game only but I disagree with that idea.  One of the things about EvE is apart from morons who suicide gank its entirely possible to avoid PvP by not creating or joining a PvE corporation or even better, creating a PvP wing foryour PvE corporation.  Additionally you can set aside a small proportion of income using tax for rainy days when you are war decced.

One of the main reasons corporations get war decced is they're purely PvE and have created a PvE only corporation with no defence or offence.

While I war decced these types of corporations I always offered them a reasonable fee between 100 million to 1 billion.  I also offered new players immunity from the war for 5 million isk and those newbies who declined I would exempt from the war after they were killed twice.  Additionally my rule was if one of the members killed me, I immediately retracted the war.  At the end of every war, I'd select people who showed courage and skill and contract them a few billion worth of ships as a reward.

I really liked EVE, prior to the new generation of developers who have ruined it and so had no desire to hurt others gameplay which is why I had those limitations.  

It wasn't a matter of not being able to handle it.  I did for 4 months.  At the time we had up to 8 afk cyno fitted ships around the region of null we were operating in.  Only 1 followed me around and verbally harassed, including reporting me for minor infractions as another form of harassment.  The issue was CCP's inability to enforce its own rules (the rules state you may not follow a player and harass them for extended periods of time) and its selective use of its rules to punish me for using the F word in local while ignoring the above serious breach of the EULA.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Griefing  

stopped reading here

EvE is both a PvP game and a PvE game.  Many claim its a PvP game only but I disagree with that idea.  One of the things about EvE is apart from morons who suicide gank its entirely possible to avoid PvP by not creating or joining a PvE corporation or even better, creating a PvP wing foryour PvE corporation.  Additionally you can set aside a small proportion of income using tax for rainy days when you are war decced.

One of the main reasons corporations get war decced is they're purely PvE and have created a PvE only corporation with no defence or offence.

While I war decced these types of corporations I always offered them a reasonable fee between 100 million to 1 billion.  I also offered new players immunity from the war for 5 million isk and those newbies who declined I would exempt from the war after they were killed twice.  Additionally my rule was if one of the members killed me, I immediately retracted the war.  At the end of every war, I'd select people who showed courage and skill and contract them a few billion worth of ships as a reward.

I really liked EVE, prior to the new generation of developers who have ruined it and so had no desire to hurt others gameplay which is why I had those limitations.  

It wasn't a matter of not being able to handle it.  I did for 4 months.  At the time we had up to 8 afk cyno fitted ships around the region of null we were operating in.  Only 1 followed me around and verbally harassed, including reporting me for minor infractions as another form of harassment.  The issue was CCP's inability to enforce its own rules (the rules state you may not follow a player and harass them for extended periods of time) and its selective use of its rules to punish me for using the F word in local while ignoring the above serious breach of the EULA.

But....you are/were one of the "bad guys".  By your own admission, you stalked helpless PVE players simply because the were not able and/or willing to defend themselves, you even feel justified in your actions in causing those folks pain because you were "teaching" them something, and you graciously offered to let them pay you off in the form of ransom, like any other pirate?

Bad guys don't get to complain when the tables are turned against them somehow.  You can't say something is unfair.  My guess is you had years of smack talking noobs in local, probably stepped over the line on more than one occasion, but no repercussions.

I remember Privateers, lost a very expensive Drake to a couple of their pilots very early in my EVE career, (stupid Tech 4 missile launchers at 15M ISK each) because I didn't realize in a war dec how easy they would be able to track me down.

Such an easy kill for them as 3 swarmed in on top of me, all for my "crime" or belonging to the wrong corp and being too stupid to know better.

Well, EVE is a swift teacher, and I didn't lose any more ships that way, (whole bunch of other ways, but not that way) but again, I really do think CCP took a look at your complaints and said really?  This guys is complaining?  It would be like the Goons complaining someone was mean to them.  CCP wouldn't care.

Yeah, they lost your business, but then again, likely you weren't paying them any cash money for many years, so not much of a loss from their viewpoint, less ISK chasing PLEX and driving up the prices.

Look, I know you feel "wronged" but from where I sit, all seems to be just a case of the universe balancing itself out a little.

Also, how could these "alts" stalk you, block them, you never hear from them again.  Tell your friends to block them as well. Problem solved, certainly not nearly as bad as a new player I met the other day who was being stalked by a very senior player for some reason who was suicide ganking him wherever he went in high sec.  He really pissed someone off.

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152

The game is too much focused on griefing and scamming.

Main problem is the HUGE death penality.

When you die you loose your ship and and you have to waste a lot of time to get another. Because of this people avoid fights etc.

I played eve from 2004 i think and gave up couple years ago. Too much waste time and even more imprtant it cultives what is bad in people.

Curently i play star conflict while waiting for elite dangerous and star citizen.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    This reminds me of why I'll always stay clear of games where everything is "player controlled".

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Well written original post.

The difficulty is that a sandbox game does encourage all types of behaviours from cooperative and friendly to spiteful harassment.

It is exceptionally hard to police such a game, especially if it has a mass audience, without compromising the element of player freedom which maybe such the game's attractive core.

Essentially, I suggest, game communities should be left to police themselves. I believe that ultimately this means the game will become self-regulating and find its own balance. If a game doesn't find that balance,  if people find the atmosphere either too toxic or, alternatively, too restrictive, they will leave and the game will collapse. But do game communities tend to be 'self-righting' as most healthy RL communities are? I have no idea.

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152

To understand the level of distrust in this game : you are not allowed to join any corporation without permanently alowing them to :read your ingame email , see all your assets, and see all you financial transactions.

• d4rkwingd4rkwing Member Posts: 32

I unsubscribed my accounts

Congratulations! You figured out how to win.

Obligatory movie quote:

A STRANGE GAME.

THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY.

• varcyon2varcyon2 Member Posts: 1
    All i see is crying. Eve is a hardcore game. its NOT for everyone but that doesn't mean its bad or the players are bad. I have had a lot of friendly people there. Tired if seeing complaining and bitching about a game you dont like. just dont freaking play it. Many MANY other enjoy it. This is NOT FOR CAREBEARS. You HAVE to expect to lose stuff. Go play WoW if you dont want anything like this. Stop trying to spread the idea that everyone is an ass in the game. they're not. I enjoy the danger of warping through low sec systems. hoping i dont get attacked.
  • d4rkwingd4rkwing Member Posts: 32
    Basically think of EVE as a Republican paradise. Big corps rule everything and the government (ccp) doesn't get involved with regulation.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by d4rkwing
    Basically think of EVE as a Republican paradise. Big corps rule everything and the government (ccp) doesn't get involved with regulation.

Bringing politics into this forum is a big no no.....

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by motanila

To understand the level of distrust in this game : you are not allowed to join any corporation without permanently alowing them to :read your ingame email , see all your assets, and see all you financial transactions.

Do some corps require access to one or more of those when reviewing recruits? Yes.  If they are going to be letting you have access to hangars of ships, giving permission to take items from massive warehouses of supplies and including you in strategic talks involving private intel, then they're going to want to weed out spies and saboteurs before they get in the door. 

Your statement, however, is a bit of an exaggeration, no?  ;) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

This discussion has been closed.