Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Stand Corrected

Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

So I tried this game at launch and between the bugs and the fact that my computer at the time couldn't run it very well, I played to about level 20 then stopped.  Just this weekend I was looking for something to play decided to reinstall since I already owned it and I was pleasantly surprised.  The game looks awesome and runs great on my new gaming rig.  The combat is really smooth.  The storyline is interesting and deep.

All I can say is that I stand corrected.  I have posted several negative things about GW2 based off my experience almost 2 years ago but the game is a lot of fun.  I am taking my time leveling and enjoying the scenery.  I also joined a WvW guild and I am looking forward to partaking in that. 

It's too early to say if this game will be my long term MMO of choice but I really am enjoying myself.  If you haven't checked this game out or haven't played since release I really suggest giving it a go.

Comments

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    Originally posted by Spankster77

So I tried this game at launch and between the bugs and the fact that my computer at the time couldn't run it very well, I played to about level 20 then stopped.  Just this weekend I was looking for something to play decided to reinstall since I already owned it and I was pleasantly surprised.  The game looks awesome and runs great on my new gaming rig.  The combat is really smooth.  The storyline is interesting and deep.

All I can say is that I stand corrected.  I have posted several negative things about GW2 based off my experience almost 2 years ago but the game is a lot of fun.  I am taking my time leveling and enjoying the scenery.  I also joined a WvW guild and I am looking forward to partaking in that. 

It's too early to say if this game will be my long term MMO of choice but I really am enjoying myself.  If you haven't checked this game out or haven't played since release I really suggest giving it a go.

imageWhat a wonderful gaming world we'd all have if more folks like you, Spankster77 would take the high road and revisit mmo's that they misinterpreted as poor design not worth their time. I appreciate this thread for it's honesty.

We need more like you Spankster!

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Been thinking same thing of diving back into it.  Now and then looking up Guardian stuff, different builds to try and the like. 
  • LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    The PvE in the game is exceptional while you're character is still progressing.

Probably the best leveling experience I've had in any game.

But unlike other MMOs were the experience slowly deteriorates at end game, GW2 stops abruptly.

One day it will hit you like a bag of rocks. Then you'll never look at the game in a positive light again.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Ludwik

But unlike other MMOs were the experience slowly deteriorates at end game, GW2 stops abruptly.

One day it will hit you like a bag of rocks. Then you'll never look at the game in a positive light again.

Much how I feel about GW2. Great during the journey, but max level is really meh.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I keep trying to go back but I just cant get through the starting zones.  I have no idea why because I feel like it would be a great game to jump in and out of.
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

I'm big on PVE, always have been.  Between this and SWTOR, those are IMO the 2 games out there with the most worthwhile PVE story content.  Also love dungeon'ing, but this game is more fun doing dungeon runs with friends vs. PUGS.  People are very serious about their speed runs and will kick you out if you aren't running the latest "meta" build.  I've always been big on playing less typical playstyles because I don't think there should just be one de facto this is the way you have to play or else style.  Playing with friends is a blast though if you can get other people joined up, especially right now while they are having their 50% off sale.

I hope other games literally copy the PvE mechanics of GW2 moving foward, I am EXTREMELY surprised we haven't seen it yet.  The event system is about as perfect as it could be, and I would love to see it in games like EQNext amongst others moving foward.  I honestly think game developers would be selling themselves short to not blatantly copy some of GW2's game mechanics.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I have statedtime after  time ever since long before release, the gameneeds a horizontal character progression system. At max level..

yet, there is still a lot to progress when you hit max level.... 

- personal stories

- dungeon progression

- fractals of the mist progression

- worldcompletion

- heroic weapon

- sPvP progession

- titltes

- personal story..

the only thing missing is characterprogression, which is their main problem, if they add horizontall progression, which would give access to more skills, traist, weapons and suchto choose from, then i guess everyone would be very very happy..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I have statedtime after  time ever since long before release, the gameneeds a horizontal character progression system. At max level..

- personal stories

- dungeon progression

- worldcompletion

- heroic weapon

- sPvP progession

- titltes

- personal story..

the only thing missing is characterprogression, which is their main problem, if they add horizontall progression, which would give access to more skills, traist, weapons and suchto choose from, then i guess everyone would be very very happy..

You could have replaced everything after "personal story" with the word GRIND. There are things you can do in every endgame, that doesn't mean they are fun.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I've actually been tossing the idea around of creating another thief and leveling DP just level it again, that was fun. But endgame left a little to be desired.
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

- personal stories

- dungeon progression

- worldcompletion

- heroic weapon

- sPvP progession

- titltes

- personal story..

There's plenty of character progression for the new people that start from stage 1. They have to go round the world unlocking traits and they don't get all their trait points until they reach max level.

To us guys who have been playing since release, it will take us more time to experience this and come to terms with how good it is.

This is not a game.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Rusque

Much how I feel about GW2. Great during the journey, but max level is really meh.

Which is perfectly fine. There are tons of MMORPGs out there that are more than happy to throw you on a treadmill once you reach max level. GW2 focus on the journey there is a really refreshing change, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's kinda funny, really. Back before launch, when MMORPG.com was in love with GW2, I was one of the few people saying "you all need to put down the hype pipe and wait to see what the game is like before declaring it the second coming." Now, long after launch, most are constantly hating on it while I'm still enjoying the game.

<3

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by Rusque

Which is perfectly fine. There are tons of MMORPGs out there that are more than happy to throw you on a treadmill once you reach max level. GW2 focus on the journey there is a really refreshing change, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's kinda funny, really. Back before launch, when MMORPG.com was in love with GW2, I was one of the few people saying "you all need to put down the hype pipe and wait to see what the game is like before declaring it the second coming." Now, long after launch, most are constantly hating on it while I'm still enjoying the game.

Game's a decent MMO. It's got it's shortcomings for sure. But it's not a bad game overall. I rather enjoy playing it from time to time, in short spurts.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

- personal stories

- dungeon progression

- worldcompletion

- heroic weapon

- sPvP progession

- titltes

- personal story..

You forgot the gem store, most updated thing in the game. With most of the weapon and armor skins. 

Weapons are locked bhind random number generators. Which you do have to pay gold/gems for.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So I tried this game at launch and between the bugs and the fact that my computer at the time couldn't run it very well, I played to about level 20 then stopped.  Just this weekend I was looking for something to play decided to reinstall since I already owned it and I was pleasantly surprised.  The game looks awesome and runs great on my new gaming rig.  The combat is really smooth.  The storyline is interesting and deep.

All I can say is that I stand corrected.  I have posted several negative things about GW2 based off my experience almost 2 years ago but the game is a lot of fun.  I am taking my time leveling and enjoying the scenery.  I also joined a WvW guild and I am looking forward to partaking in that. 

It do take some guts to admit that you are wrong (sadly). Anyways, a crappy computer can turn any gaming experience to crap and MMOers often tend to not notice when their machine is ancient since they tend to play the same game for years (often without reinstalling windows now and again which makes things even worse). Once they try a new game they tend to blame how badly things run on the engine (which can be true of course).

I do remember this guy complaining about how a dragon event turned into a slide show a year back or so and complained about the programming and I said my FPS was fine (around 40). Then I told him what GFX card I had (780 GTX) and asked him about his... It was an old Nvidia 8800 10 years old or so.... And I never asked him about the rest of the computer but his comment was that it ran Wow fine. :)

Originally posted by andre369

You forgot the gem store, most updated thing in the game. With most of the weapon and armor skins. 

Weapons are locked bhind random number generators. Which you do have to pay gold/gems for.

Uhm, hardly. 90% or so (maybe 95%) of the armor skins and way more of the weapon skins are in the game. Just count in your collector slot if you don't believe me (if you own the game). 

Of course if you count the black lion claims tickets which can be used to buy weapon skins from old story event weapons go up in percentage but you need to buy (or get from story or rare loots and dailies) Black lions chest keys for a random chance to get those, and they were originally something you could get as drops or by doing the events. It might go up from 1% or so to 10% if you count that.

Besides, you can actually do like many of us and get gems for gold if you really must have something. 32 gold gives you 200 gems (when I checked today), it is not that hard to farm that up, any gem armor still is cheaper in gold then a cultural T3 armor (which I have several of without trading gems for gold).

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Well OP that's the beauty behind B2P that makes jumping back into GW2 just to check out things so easy to do.  Personally, I have a sub based MMO sitting on my shelf that I played for about a week that I'm going to make darn sure it's worthy of my $15 again (after I already bought the box) before I check it out again.  Not that $15 to take a peek will break my bank.  Not even remotely close.  However, if I'm going to give a company $15 to take a peek at how a game that I already payed for plays and then continue to give them $15 a month to keep playing the game I already bought, it better be worth my time.

As far as what is and isn't good about GW2 I don't think at this point anyone who actually plays needs to defend it anymore.  It's a proven game that is unique in so many ways amongst the plethora of cookie cutter MMOs out there and it really works and plays great which is all that needs to be said at this point.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84

I think for the max level end game you need to change the idea of what you expect to go after to truely enjoy it. I played wow for 5 years and GW2 since preorder headstart and I still enjoy the max level of gw2 pve.  

There is no gear grind to go to the next dungeon to get more gear to get to the next dungeon. More of a hunt for cosmetic changes, ascended gear(final gear but really only needed for high end fractals) and the elusive precursor so you can work on your legendary and then finally pve achievements.

If you want a WoW end game then yes I can see max level getting boring after awhile as there is no tangable state progression.

I'm currently helping my brother and friend get to level 30 fractals so we can start getting better chances at the rare drops.

Originally posted by itssantos

I think for the max level end game you need to change the idea of what you expect to go after to truely enjoy it. I played wow for 5 years and GW2 since preorder headstart and I still enjoy the max level of gw2 pve.  

There is no gear grind to go to the next dungeon to get more gear to get to the next dungeon. More of a hunt for cosmetic changes, ascended gear(final gear but really only needed for high end fractals) and the elusive precursor so you can work on your legendary and then finally pve achievements.

If you want a WoW end game then yes I can see max level getting boring after awhile as there is no tangable state progression.

I'm currently helping my brother and friend get to level 30 fractals so we can start getting better chances at the rare drops.

True, but I do hope that they plan to give us more common goals to work for in the future. In GW1 we spent a lot of time together to get our guildhall complete for example, that type of thing does not destroy game balance but still adds a lot to the game (AoC would have done a lot better if they had implemented the guildcities better, having a guildcity in GW2 where you actually could place houses and decide the looks of it would give many players plenty of new motivation).

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Viper482

- personal stories

- dungeon progression

- worldcompletion

- heroic weapon

- sPvP progession

- titltes

- personal story..

You could have replaced everything after "personal story" with the word GRIND. There are things you can do in every endgame, that doesn't mean they are fun.

Grind is a mindset...  In the end everything in MMOs is a grind...  Did you mean the grinding is not rewarding enough in this game?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)