Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hellgate: New Steam Greenlight Campaign Begins

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Redbana Corp. has started a Steam Greenlight campaign for Hellgate that will see the game relisted on the game portal including the Tokyo expansion. Hellgate was taken over by Redbana after Namco ceased operations in 2009. According to the Steam information, the title will, if successful in Greenlight, as Hellgate Global.

Hellgate is an action RPG that allows you to play in a first-person or third-person perspective. Set 27 years into the future, an ancient prophecy made centuries ago has come true and the gates of hell have opened. Demons have overrun the world of man and roam our lands, destroying, pillaging and killing humans. With the world above ground abandoned, dark and burnt to hellfire, humans are forced into hiding to protect what remains of their race while making plans to take back a world that was once theirs. In the game, mankind escapes to the underground system under the sprawling metropolis of London. Prepare for a struggle for survival in a world that has become hell.

Hellgate Global have retained most of the previous version features together with the following updates brought by the Tokyo Patch.

Head to the Hellgate Global Steam page to vote and for more information.

Source: Eurogamer

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This game was pretty awful when it released, and was pretty awful when it re-released.  I have a hard time believing that it won't be awful again, for all the same reasons.

• Literally tunneled progression.
    • Inconsistent textures and models.  Sometimes they looked OK, other times they looked like high def textures on Doom era models, and other times everything was just low def.
    • Small areas, with little or no story.

I'm sure there's more, but I've thankfully removed much of that experience from my mind.

That's the original trailer from the first time the game released.  AAAAAAAUUUGH!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Wasn't a bad game at all. Glad to see it it still kicking about.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

3rd times a charm?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    That video is also several years old. It's at least as old as the second release
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    It was okay when it first released, but now it's getting ridiculous.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by lizardbones

This game was pretty awful when it released, and was pretty awful when it re-released.  I have a hard time believing that it won't be awful again, for all the same reasons.

• Inconsistent textures and models.  Sometimes they looked OK, other times they looked like high def textures on Doom era models, and other times everything was just low def.

I'm sure there's more, but I've thankfully removed much of that experience from my mind.

That's the original trailer from the first time the game released.  AAAAAAAUUUGH!

if you didn't like it, why bother? let those people play who liked it...

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I am played HGL ,it was funy h&s mp game,

I am was interesting for HG Global but only way for download was some eastern ,,malware,, launcher and give up at end.

I 'll try it via steam .

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I played it both times it launched and enjoyed it. I don't have any interest in a 3rd time but good for them I guess.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I was fairly excited for this game back in the day, though I must admit to not doing enough research on it beforehand. Imagined it would be some pretty difficult game where you would battle through demon-packed corridors and engage in epic boss battles.

Instead it turned out to be a pretty generic hack & slash. Could have seen it coming though.

I actually did go back to the re-released version of the game and somewhat enjoyed playing a marksman character on it. But both the original pricing model (they wanted to ask a subscription fee for it) and the F2P were pretty ridiculous imo.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Thane

How exactly am I preventing those people who liked or like the game from playing it?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ShattenShatten Member UncommonPosts: 40

played both retail and re-release even beta but both feel like they never left beta stage too many bugs.

i remember playing op marksman class that can do both tank and deal damage in pve and pvp too bad they patch it.

i remember buying the retail game then they announce about changing it to sub but i think couple in months they announce of closing the multiplayer or their studio then another dev take over and made it f2p but still in beta then that dev decide it wasn't doing well or not able to progress than they expected so they shutdown the game.

old player probably going back to the game. they need to improve almost everything if they just launch the game it used to be then its not worth going back.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This game got a bad rap. I still play and have a blast when i do everytime. The game has an engineer class that makes Wildstar's seem silly. I hope it works out for them on steam.  I will never get reviewers trashing a game because of the graphics. But i guess thats all most gamers care about over gameplay. Its better than some of the new mmo's out there now getting rave reviews. And i like the sifi story. Its better lore than games out now.  Zero hand holding here and nightmare mode is really freaking hard. Mobs will swarm you badly if you don't keep moving in this game. You can really get trapped in a corner and die. This game is fun as heck to play. 
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    good game, alot memories !!!

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Originally posted by Thane

Oh he is but I appreciate people like him letting me know what certain problems the game had when he played it. It's always better to know if a game and it's developers are not doing what they claim they'd do it saves time and money.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    There just needs to be a new Hell gate all together.

The game has a fantastic concept and some really cool art. But it's dragged down by how dated it is now.

I'd be really interested in a sequel if it was done right.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

hellgate global has been going on for a long time at http://hellgate.t3fun.com

i played a few weeks ago and uninstalled, i like the game, but its heavily instanced and the random elite monsters in early areas are imposible to kill without groups, and i rarely see people around to so its instant death all the time.

• goth1cgoth1c Member UncommonPosts: 79
    This was a damn good game too bad publishers who publish this game are bad yes t3fun i am talking to you... also dunno what they got to give dotn see any updates beside the Tokyo witch was years ago, but i guess if it goes to steam more ppl cna try and see a game that was ahead of is time, now is kinda old, i still from tiem to time go check their site for updates nerve the less is 0. New hellgate on a decent developer and company would be nice but wont happen.

• gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234

anyone feel like downloading it and starting new characters together>

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

If anyone is interested you can get info here.

http://www.hellgateaus.net/forum/index.php

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    If they think they can launch with that same tired old engine, they got another thing coming. It was dated when it was released, let alone now.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I didn't mind it, people were not ready before for the survival onslaught style and was looking for something different then.  I think it may make a go this time around, I enjoyed the game when it was first launched, didn't like the re-launch as they made some terrible changes imo. To each their own though...

Im currently playing Battles Islands atm lol. Cheesy little game but fun.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Ah, Bill Ropers aborted baby, sigh.

I actually really enjoyed this game and at the time it was honestly like a Diablo evolution in gameplay. It had the loot, the stats/skills and gameplay that made Diablo fun and addictive and I lol'ed when I saw Wirt the Pegged-Legged Boy. It gets a bad rap cause well......it was a complete flop and failure from a business standpoint, the company went belly up just a couple of months after the game launched.

I still feel this game is relevant and a part of old school gaming history. It attempted to blend genres and evolve some old school gameplay and in some sense it succeeded "gameplay", but in other ways it didn't "mainly the rts elements", though being able to even somewhat succeed in evolving old school gaming says alot.

Permadeath mode was damn fun, too bad it's gone now in the new acquired Redbana version. It's too bad the original game didn't have a chance to become more and mature, the new version is a shell of what it was supposed to be, but for all intents and purposes is a game any old school Diablo or loot-centric fan should at least try as it's a good example of how to evolve that type of gameplay in the right direction or at least attempt.

• MundanMundan Member Posts: 1
    The biggest problem that the game had was connection issues, if they aren't resolved then it's going to be heartbreak all over again.
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    even though some of you really didnt like the game, hopefully you'll vote it to greenlight it. unless it wronged you in some way :)

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Rusque

3rd times a charm?

Damnit, I was going to say that :)