Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Return after 3 years?

Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

My wife and I loved Wow until WOTLK launched and a lot of changes that came with it. We left after the launch of WOTLK and came back for Cata. We soon left again and after a few years we have yet to find another MMO we can stick with. We have a lot of time invested in Wow and lately have been thinking of returning.

I know a lot of you out there have left the game and returned a few times like us. My question to you is have any of you returned in the last year or so and stuck with it? If yes could you please tell my why?

Can anyone tell me how much of the new expansion will be tied to the lands of TBC? Any chance it will bring back some fond memories of that time we both loved so much? That alone might be worth it. :)

Comments

• DracomonDracomon Member UncommonPosts: 30

I've been back for a month after a good year away and i wish i had waited until the xpac was released. I am already worn out. 

Lvl 90 pvp is garbage due to the gear gap, have fun getting smashed from 2 weeks while you get honour gear just to be average. Oh and cc it's everywhere....... nothing more to say there.

So i thought i'd try some low level pvp last night. My level 10 hunter topped damage in the lvl 15 bracket. Rogues 1 shot you with ambush, healers rejuv through any damage etc etc.

If you like raiding i guess you can use LFR to see the content (1 hour queues though) then when your geared from LFR you can do the same raids over again in Flex raiding, rinse and repeat in Normal raiding, then again in Herioc................

I wish i had some positives, but i don't.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    what is worse that you will have to pay for expansion and then pay monthly to play what you already bought. stopped playing because of this, i could have worked out some problems like imbalanced pvp and such but this payment method..it is simply bonkers. it is really not about money just that i don't like the fact that i bought something but i am paying more to play what i have already bought.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I went back recently but I was alone and started up a new toon and I tried levelling using the Dungeon Finder. Thing is may be if you play a different type of role it might be better but the community is completely unforgiving. They are abusive and the level of abuse I got  for falling down into the water in Blackfathom Deeps and as a result I was late because I had to go back and jump across was alarming . It was not just one comment but a string of abuse that went on and on. By the time I arrived they had pulled and died. I get it but should they not have checked before pulling if the healer was there ?

It went on from there to people being mean when someone asked in another group to complete a quest and got abused and another guy not me thankfully had gone the wrong way . I just ended up asking myself which my husband also echoed wtf am I doing playing a game like this where people are treating you like a sub human. It's a game I want to play to enjoy not get treated to abuse so that some guy on the internet can feel good because they showed you who de boss.

I left end of story. Probably may be not so bad at higher levels but I doubt it.

Chamber of Chains
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    What a bunch of negative nancies.  Anyway, I found Mists of Pandaria leveling to be a blast and working on the farm on at least one character was fun, so what do you have to lose?  It's going to change again when WoD hits so might as well hop in now and play the game because the feel of classes is going to change a bit again come November.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Greymantle4

My wife and I loved Wow until WOTLK launched and a lot of changes that came with it. We left after the launch of WOTLK and came back for Cata. We soon left again and after a few years we have yet to find another MMO we can stick with. We have a lot of time invested in Wow and lately have been thinking of returning.

I know a lot of you out there have left the game and returned a few times like us. My question to you is have any of you returned in the last year or so and stuck with it? If yes could you please tell my why?

Can anyone tell me how much of the new expansion will be tied to the lands of TBC? Any chance it will bring back some fond memories of that time we both loved so much? That alone might be worth it. :)

I've a history of being fond of or looking at the green grass when it comes to this game on this site.  Though ultimately I have nothing good to say about it right now.  We have entered the content drought period where they have 14 months of revenue and give zero in return.  The only updates have been to the cash shop and buying level 90s so people are able to skip the leveling process.  If you return now, then you might enjoy it for about a month due to the excellent leveling experience Mists of Pandaria has.  Though as a whole I'd imagine it would be better to wait another month or two, experience all that, get into the pre-launch events for 6.0 and see where that takes us.

I'm in beta myself and I'm not entirely fond of what I've been seeing.  The leveling content is the best part, the garrisons have potential but are no where near as good as they were described back at Blizzcon, and countless features have been trimmed or outright taken out.  Even one of the Zones won't make it into launch, and another that was supposed to be a zone introduced in a future patch is likely cut.  Ashram is a one-lane joke with overpowered abilities the side with the most players can earn and make the lives of others miserable (leading into the other side to just saying "screw this" and never play it again) and overall the game is mainly just about orcs as whole.  We're even -- SPOILER

Fighting Hellscream as the final boss of the expansion.

Yeah...  Not to mention the Garrisons only represent one race as a whole, and in no way feel like home to your character for the most part.  Or something they'd build in the slightest, unless you're an orc or human.  In addition, Blood Elves won't be updated until after the game is launched as well.  Even the "dynamic events" that were talked about were pretty much cut, as all you see are static things that appear on the maps you go to and they're completed like any other quest.  It's pretty much WoW's version of the Heart system from Guild Wars two.  Besides that, Garrisons are also smaller than what they original have shown in screenshots in the past, and you are not longer able to place them in any location.  There's just one set area that they are put in.

The whole "send your followers to raid" has also been disappointing so far.  The max party size you can make is three before sending them out, and it's ultimately just a mini game where your followers have abilities and you match them with what they're expected to fight in which to counter the skills the enemy has and thus raise your chance of success to 100%.  After that you wait for 8 hours or whatever to collect a 100g reward or green item (sometimes blue or purple, if you got a rare mission).  What I can say about Garrisons is that they are not feature complete yet, and they have been working on them.  The above is just what seems like is already complete, as it would take too much development time away to change them in significant ways.  The next patch is said to have most planned features implemented to test.

Will it remind you of Outlands?

Maybe.

It depends on the area you're in at the time.  Nagrand pretty much looks like Nagrand.  There's the Throne of Elements or whatever that's still there.  Shattrah looks brand new and shiny, with some things such as the bridges being recognizable.  Though as a whole and beyond that, the areas look fresh and beautiful.  The artwork is some of the best stuff the expansion offers at the moment.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Greymantle4

if you have fond memories of BC

WOD should be worth it for the related lore / landscapes

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I've been back for a month or so after a 6-month layoff. I generally leave after each expansion at this point, at least for a little while. I'm not really that heavily involved with PvP at this point. I haven't found any of the PvP all that engaging for a while now. I might pop in for a game here and there for giggles, but that's about it. I was heavier into it Vanilla and TBC. Might come back to it after expack, since it's sounding like a return to their roots. 

If you're a PVEer then I think you'll have a good time. The levelling is long, but it doesn't feel as grindy as the Cata content. I am actually just levelling through the Cata content again for the first time in a good 2 years (trying to get a level 90 for each tanking class) and I had forgotten how slow it felt. Even though it's probably faster than MoP, it doesn't feel like it.

As far as the other commenter goes, if you are a PVEer, that's basically how gear-based progression works. That would be like me saying, "PvP is alright as long as you're ok with just running around the same map over and over and over again." Anyway, it sounds like you've been in WoW for a while at this point.  In MoP it was actually nice because I just took the casual route and played through on the Raid Finder content. You still get geared for the level of raiding, and it sets you up for progressing through Normal, if that's your bag, but it's a nice kinda tour bus whip through the content, less dying, less frustration, and you can pug it! Will you wait an hour? Depends on your class, as always. I'm assuming if you're DPS then you're used to the wait anyway. For my tanks, I don't think I ever wait an hour. I don't know if I've waited a half hour. If it do, I generally move over to my DPS toon :) 

They have dumbed down the content and classes further and continue to do so in the expansion, it looks like. However, it still remains the most polished MMO you can find, subscription or not. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MMOVet74MMOVet74 Member UncommonPosts: 76

The best time to  come back to WOW is about a month  before a new expansion launches.Blizzard releases a pre xpac patch to get everything set up for the next expansion which  Blizzard said will be about a month  before Warlords of Draenor launches, so around mid October for patch 6.0. I actually find that month to be the most exciting, rolling a fresh class, learning how to play it,  leveling up professions, finding a new guild, etc... all in anticipation for the big launch. IMO, nothing beats it. Never gets old to me. 

Coming back to WOW now is a mistake though. You will burn out after you hit 90, everyone is  fully geared in pvp or pve. No point gearing up as in  3 months that gear will be quickly swapped for quest greens.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

OP, read this and then tell me if you really think its worth it to give them more of your money so you can quit again in 2 months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost_fallacy

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I think the only people that can answer the question is yourselves and to do that i think you need to go back and look at the reasons why you left in the first place?

If it was because of any of the fundamental aspects of the game like the questing or endgame, then i don't see a reason for you to return as you will just run into the same brick wall that you did before.

With MoP and WoD there have been some big changes in the right direction with a slight ramp in difficulty and some paring down of useless stats and abilities, especially with WoD where they are also squishing the stats back to more realistic numbers again.

Have played some of the Beta and i am enjoying what i have seen so far, but remember that it is still the same game at heart.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

I left at the beginning of WOTLK.

WOD has peaked my interest again. It is bringing back original WOW in a way, but keeping some of the better additions. No flying (I hope they stick to this), less CC, Stat allocation, stat reduction, etc. Whether or not it will be a success is questionable, but on paper, I am liking what I am hearing.

Also, there aren't better MMORPG's on the market and there doesn't seem to be any on the horizon either.

• angrycopangrycop Member Posts: 7

hey guys, i left at the beginning of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, really was burnout since i was playing hardcore raider since the beta. Well 4 years has pass, and after trying a few mmorpg , im thinking of going back to WoW, sadly my friends have moved on to new games and well , i would like to anyone to recommend me if  it is still the old wow feeling of raiding , dungeon, etc.. or do i have to collect pokemons and do 213423423 dailys to get on track :D

PS: any advise on friendly guild on any US server who can bare with an old timer like me ?

PS2: sorry for the grammar, english not my native language. 

Thanks in advance !

Ultimaratio

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i have played wow off and on since vanilla and through MOP i did all the raids up through flex raiding patch and left . My experience now , even the new models and design will not bring me back. The game is just sub par in every level compared to games like Rift ESO etc . You have nothing to do at end game except chase legendaries through a grind heavy story which required raid finder. You have an island everyone farms now for easy gear that plays almost like a zone in guild wars 2 which they basically copy and pasted during the GW2 fade- Timeless Isle. You can get up to gear score 500 pretty easily in a week just messing around on that island , then its back to raid finder over and over again. There is nothing to do at end game at all but do the old raids cap your valor gather justice points for heirlooms , rinse and repeat. The new housing I played in beta sucks its not even housing its a static quest hub basically in draenor that you can add a few different buildings at pre determined sites. It plays almost identical to the farm from MOP and not housing at all. 

In my honest opinion the game just sucks now and the devs are milking the games current playerbase. Hell its been almost a year since they had a real patch and content as it seems they stop everything for an expansion and not release anything for a entire year but a few bug fixes. I seriously wish this game would die some so they mix up the dev team and force them to actually listen to their playerbase. I think anyone who misses old wow are going to be pretty pissed when they play WOD. 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by angrycop

hey guys, i left at the beginning of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, really was burnout since i was playing hardcore raider since the beta. Well 4 years has pass, and after trying a few mmorpg , im thinking of going back to WoW, sadly my friends have moved on to new games and well , i would like to anyone to recommend me if  it is still the old wow feeling of raiding , dungeon, etc.. or do i have to collect pokemons and do 213423423 dailys to get on track :D

PS: any advise on friendly guild on any US server who can bare with an old timer like me ?

PS2: sorry for the grammar, english not my native language. 

Thanks in advance !

Ultimaratio

The smart move would be to wait until WoD drops, use your free insta-boost to 90 and dig in from there.  They're changing enough about the classes that you're essentially going to have to relearn them again anyways.  It's like all WoW expansions, come release day, everything that you have done before it is now meaningless and your back to square one.  

• angrycopangrycop Member Posts: 7

Thanks for the input guys, i think i will try WoW again, i have a couple of question tho:

have no longer friends and guild to come back so.. looking a good server pvp / pve with friendly ppl and guilds.

I really want to play again and i see a lot of changes ( a LOT ), getting tier armor and great weapons would be difficult for someone playing solo ? ( like i said no friends in wow now ) .

The flying mounts not going to work anymore in the new xpac right ? 

Thanks for answering !

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    In Mop, once you hit max level you can solo everything and get full epic including a legendary(?!) in a month or so.  Avoid Battlegrounds, the game balancing is broken yet again.  If you want a friendly guild that is not full of jaded cynical players best bet is look for a RP Server/guild.  Good luck :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D