Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny Writer Quits Bungie to Work On Game of Thrones at Telltale

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-writer-quits-bungie-to-work-on-game-of-thr/1100-6421791/

Joshua Rubin, who spent two years at Bungie writing the story for the upcoming shooter Destiny, has quit the studio to take a job at Telltale Games where he will work on the developer's Game of Thrones episodic series. Rubin announced the news on Twitter, saying he's excited by the challenge of writing a Game of Thrones story that is on par--or better--than what fans found in the HBO TV show.

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-writer-quits-bungie-to-work-on-game-of-thr/1100-6421791/

Joshua Rubin, who spent two years at Bungie writing the story for the upcoming shooter Destiny, has quit the studio to take a job at Telltale Games where he will work on the developer's Game of Thrones episodic series. Rubin announced the news on Twitter, saying he's excited by the challenge of writing a Game of Thrones story that is on par--or better--than what fans found in the HBO TV show.

I hope Martin is involved with supervising the writing for this game or else it probably won't be very good. Writing for some trashy FPS game is hardly equivalent to writing GoT stuff.

I know it's a controversial opinion but I actually enjoyed Cyanide's GoT RPG but only because Martin helped write that and thus the story was top-notch.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by iridescence

I hope Martin is involved with supervising the writing for this game or else it probably won't be very good. Writing for some trashy FPS game is hardly equivalent to writing GoT stuff.

I know it's a controversial opinion but I actually enjoyed Cyanide's GoT RPG but only because Martin helped write that and thus the story was top-notch.

Telltale doesnt make FPS games, they make interactive cinematic games.  The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us for example.  They are also making one for borderlands.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think everyone in the world would choose to do the same exact thing.

Telltale doesnt make FPS games, they make interactive cinematic games.  The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us for example.  They are also making one for borderlands.

Article said the writer they hired used to work on Destiny.

Yea they hired him to write the story not to design the game.  Telltale is making a GoT games in their style of games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_%282014_video_game%29

The game will follow a similar episodic format that Telltalle has used for its titles The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and the upcoming Tales from the Borderlands, where player choices and actions will have significant effects on later story elements

Game of Thrones is a point-and-click adventure game similar to Telltale's other games, to be released as a number of episodes. The player will be able to move their player-character around the world's environment, interacting with objects and initiating conversation trees with non-player characters. Choices made by the player will have impact on later story elements in future episodes.

I know what kind of game it's going to be. I was talking about my worries about the writing quality. Hence attaching this to an article about the new writer they hired. I know they aren't making an FPS but the guy worked on an FPS before so it makes me wonder about his qualifications (and as I said, my strong preference is that the series author have a lot of input into the story for this game.)
    I know what kind of game it's going to be. I was talking about my worries about the writing quality. Hence attaching this to an article about the new writer they hired. I know they aren't making an FPS but the guy worked on an FPS before so it makes me wonder about his qualifications (and as I said, my strong preference is that the series author have a lot of input into the story for this game.)

Hes worked on a lot more stuff than Destiny, like developing the Pilot for Battlestar Galactica and co-writer for Assassins Creed 2 which to many of its fans is the best story out of all in the series.  http://www.subverse.org/joshua-rudrananda-rubin-a-brief-bio/

And how do you know if destiny story is trashy?

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Originally posted by Cleffy

I think everyone in the world would choose to do the same exact thing.

That was my first thought too and I have never watched one episode of GOT, but I do know it has a serious following.
    George R. R. Martin stated that his personal assistant, Ty Corey Franck, is working with Telltale Games on the game as the "story consultant"
  • ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

and initiating conversation trees with non-player characters

I initially read that as "initiating conversations with trees". What a weird game that would be.

But yeah, I hope Martin has a hand in this, even a non-canonical GoT storyline should be handled with care.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Ergload

and initiating conversation trees with non-player characters

I initially read that as "initiating conversations with trees". What a weird game that would be.

But yeah, I hope Martin has a hand in this, even a non-canonical GoT storyline should be handled with care.

I AM GROOT

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It's not like the person writing the story for the game is going to be working in a vacuum.  TellTale Games has a team of people working on their games.  They will also be have input from the people who own the IP, George R.R. Martin included.  This is their "thing".  It is far more likely that something like the graphics or glitchy game play is going to be an issue, rather than the story.

:-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

he is likely just project focused rather than company loyal.

Its better for his career to just focus on working projects. Destiny is done time to move on.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

he is likely just project focused rather than company loyal.

Its better for his career to just focus on working projects. Destiny is done time to move on.

My thought too... you need to move on with your career and not sit back and wait for the next thing.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Is it just me or has this GoT mmorpg been developed with zero regard for the mmorpg community? No nothing directed our way. Idk if it's a bad thing or not, but yeah.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Is it just me or has this GoT mmorpg been developed with zero regard for the mmorpg community? No nothing directed our way. Idk if it's a bad thing or not, but yeah.

Um, as far as I know there's no GoT MMO in development. This game is a single player RPG-lite in the vein of the Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us games.

Not sure why MMORPG.com is covering this game at all actually now that you mention it. :)

Um, as far as I know there's no GoT MMO in development. This game is a single player RPG-lite in the vein of the Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us games.

Not sure why MMORPG.com is covering this game at all actually now that you mention it. :)

They arent covering it, I just posted this news on the general gaming section which is the thread section for games of other genres.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

He is a writer so his passion is writing stories. It is not a surprise he wanted to take the job to write the GoT story for Telltale. GoT is heavily story based, and Telltale does heavily story driven interactive media. If Rubin´s passion was actual video games he would have stayed with Bungie or move to other game developer, not a story based interactive developer. So yeah, he is clearly following his passion as a writer.

Plus Destiny is already done and about to launch so i doubt there is any story missing on the base game. By the time it needs an expansion or story content dlc they get someone else to write it. Rubin did his part with Bungie.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    fps game? story? wut?
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    fps game? story? wut?

He was one of the writers for Battlestar Galactica also and that had an amazing story.  And worked on Assassins Creed 2 story as well. But Destiny is FPS/RPG

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    fps game? story? wut?

He was one of the writers for Battlestar Galactica also and that had an amazing story.  And worked on Assassins Creed 2 story as well. But Destiny is FPS/RPG

yeah Destiny has (so far, based on beta) what seems to be a decent beginning of a story. Just like Halo has its stuff going on with Master Chief and all that. Some people just see fps and like to assume its another call of duty (yeah cod doesnt have a story, just a crappy nonsensical campaign) lol

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Yea they hired him to write the story not to design the game.  Telltale is making a GoT games in their style of games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_%282014_video_game%29

The game will follow a similar episodic format that Telltalle has used for its titles The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and the upcoming Tales from the Borderlands, where player choices and actions will have significant effects on later story elements

Game of Thrones is a point-and-click adventure game similar to Telltale's other games, to be released as a number of episodes. The player will be able to move their player-character around the world's environment, interacting with objects and initiating conversation trees with non-player characters. Choices made by the player will have impact on later story elements in future episodes.

Eh, playing TWD's season one left me pretty skeptical on the significant part. In some ways those games can be very linear, like the parts where if they want a specific character dead, that one is going to die no matter what you, or who you choose to recruit or not to recruit.

That being said, they still make for an entertaining pastime, and I'm looking forward to their GoT game. Which reminds me I still need to finish (or rather restart) the Wolf Among us.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I can only imagine Peter Dinklage saying "That wizard came from the moon!" in a GoT game.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

There was a GoT MMO game in development ("Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms") that was announced in 2012 but it appears to be vapourware.

And the single-player game isn't, as far as I can tell, being covered by MMORPG.com except in so far as a user made this thread, and in the "General [i.e., non-MMORPG] Gaming" section; article linked in the OP is on Gamespot.