Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN "Alpha Testing" could get pricey looking at the current trends and huge interest

2»

Comments

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by kalimar42
    Have  you people fucking gone MAD!!!. image    What the hell has happen to the gaming world??? image    I cannot believe you idiots would pay to play a ALPHA. image   Gaming has become a fucking joke.   These asshole game companies should be paying us to try out the fucking piece of shit game that it probably is.  OMG I need a drink.  image image 

It is a Brave New World friend. One where those long term players, the ones that play for year(s), still do, just before launch. The rest play for month(s) at a time after launch.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Have  you people fucking gone MAD!!!. image    What the hell has happen to the gaming world??? image    I cannot believe you idiots would pay to play a ALPHA. image   Gaming has become a fucking joke.   These asshole game companies should be paying us to try out the fucking piece of shit game that it probably is.  OMG I need a drink.  image image 

I've played a few Alphas in my day, but the paid "Alphas" that are going on these days aren't true alphas, they are generally much more polished games, more like play testing. I don't disagree with you that it's crazy that people will pay, only to have their data wiped on launch. That's not really my style.

Either way,  these people aren't paying for Alpha access, there's always value-adds provided. As they get better at structuring these, it'll actually become even more attractive to buy-in early. Even if you don't play Alpha. 

Then you've got the speed players who want to rush through the game. If that's their idea of fun, then having a good idea of how to get to max level quickest on day one is probably good. 

Yeah, so it's not alpha.... at all. Don't fool yourself. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Given that SOE has seen what's happened with games like Pathfinder and Star Citizen, know their own experience with Landmark, and that we are talking about freaking EVERQUEST - all bets are off for what the pricing will be.

And it's only a matter of time until it takes hold for post-release purchases.  "Collector's editions" will seem so 2010.

The bubble keeps growing and growing...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

You probably need to look at the whole picture.

Which you aren't.

When looking at these packages it seems that people aren't just paying for "alpha".

What is offered is Alpha and Beta access AND several months subscription status AND if there is a store a certain amount of credits.

These offers "should" be for people who are die hard fans who know what they are about and have no problem being in on the ground floor of the process.

If you add up the months of subscription plus whatever "items" are given to you plus any credits for their store you will probably see that it comes out even or you as a player come out ahead. Plus you get alpha and beta.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I see this as the replacement programs for what we used to call LTS. Paying for a game before it's been released has been around for a lot longer than people seem to remember. Not saying it's any less risky now as it was then. All those players getting burned on LTSs only to see the games go F2P in a year. But it's hardly new.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Sovrath

You probably need to look at the whole picture.

Which you aren't.

When looking at these packages it seems that people aren't just paying for "alpha".

What is offered is Alpha and Beta access AND several months subscription status AND if there is a store a certain amount of credits.

These offers "should" be for people who are die hard fans who know what they are about and have no problem being in on the ground floor of the process.

If you add up the months of subscription plus whatever "items" are given to you plus any credits for their store you will probably see that it comes out even or you as a player come out ahead. Plus you get alpha and beta.

Ya, you can make a one time payment of $19.99 and get full access for alpha and beta.  With Landmark for example, it's been in alpha/beta since Jan31 of this year and it isn't over any time soon.

Even if it went "live" at one year, F2P for anyone, players will have paid $19.99 and got to be a part of the game for 12 months, at a rate of $1.60 a month.

Oh the horror!  What has befallen the gaming world where someone would pay $1.60 for a month of entertainment in a game!  THE HORRRRRORR!  AWWHADJHKASHDHJKASHDKJKAHSJHDJKSADKASJH

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Have you people fucking gone MAD!!! image
    What the hell has happened to the gaming world??? image 
    Gaming has become a fucking joke. image 
    These asshole game companies should be...   image 

making money?

My thoughts?