Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The REAL reason why WoW is still #1

13»

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

saying the reason WoW is so successful is the pvp is pretty ludicrous.  there are games where there is pvp 100% of the time (eve, darkfall, etc) but they aren't as popular as wow (though i like both of those games over wow) why aren't those games as popular as wow?

there is no one reason wow is so popular.  there are many.  it's easy to learn, it's well polished, it reaches people outside the MO community due to its status as a cultural Icon, it offers something to do if you play 30 minutes a day or if you play 6 hours a day.

I dont even think pvp is in the top 10 reasons WoW is so popular.  and I like pvp (look at my games playing below).

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Blizzard has reported that the vast majority of their players don't participate in PvP at all. That already destroys your entire post.

One of the reasons why they made the Battlegrounds linked to as many servers as they did, was probably because it was the only way to get enough players into them to run them, not a bad thing imo, as the variation in gameplay is needed, but given that the average split between PVE/PVP is 80/20 it probably made a lot of sense to do it the way they did, server merges would probably have been a less effective solution, and possibly only a temporary stopgap. image

• FIXTHECAMERAFIXTHECAMERA Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Originally posted by FIXTHECAMERA

You don't know how right you truly are. That is 100% the reason why WoW is still number one, however it goes over everyone's head. Especially on a roleplay-ish website like this, I doubt anyone in this entire thread will agree with you besides me. Most people here aren't actually playing WoW and consider it a poison to the mmorpg genre, which it is to be honest, as an "mmorpg", it's horrible in terms of progression and freedom, it's a linear quest grinder with no sense of wonder or exploration, but what do people say while leveling up? "I can't wait to get into pvp", or raiding, etc. The competition is the driving mindset that gives this game any value. Many games have made wow clones and slapped a few classes together with fancy sounding spells that have no real flow, so in PvP things really just don't work, it's basically two people spamming dps spells at each other until the other's health bar goes down. This is NOT WoW, and anyone who's played arena or dueled for more than 30 minutes and have taken the time to read the synergy and counters of the spells and classes, will no doubt agree with me.

Most players, even though they're not the best at PvP, all have a drive to become the best or to invest time in a game where competition is valuable, (there's a reason MOBA is the most popular genre in the world, the combat is a worse, less interactive version of WoW but that's what the masses hold as "competitive" for the time being) albeit WoW's PvP has been dumbed down very much over the years, but still, compared to anything else that's out there it's still the most responsive, complex, mobile combat system there is. I find it comical that people call Tera "action combat" and WoW "stand still tab targeting", I can't blame them for hating on wow. In Tera, you can't avoid animation locks even by running around, or talking to an NPC, the game engine is terrible and so is the combat, it's clunky, slow paced and animation locked, but because it has no "tab target" it's considered innovative, if anything it's a huge step back in the genre, to me that's years behind WoW.

Look at WoW's camera control, fluidity, movement, responsiveness, bug free game play and combat, in fact, it's probably the most responsive game I've played in my life, yes, overall game, not even just mmorpg's. People don't realise what makes it feel so "right".

I wish developers would start understanding this is the entire foundation of WoW's success and STOP trying to make WoW clones, because the actual themepark design of it is painfully boring, if WoW had a clunky camera with stand still combat and spells that are only made to sound cool. I GUARANTEE you, it would be nothing like it is today, and has been.

Maybe one day someone will figure this out. Oh well. The people who disagree with this haven't played WoW at a competitive level and have somehow found enjoyment out of it being an "mmorpg", it confuses me how that's possible, I don't even know who thought themeparks would be a good idea, in what world have they ever been entertaining? There's a reason people are virtually BEGGING for something new. It was outdated and boring to begin with.

Perhaps WoW should of been more of a lobby based PvP game with instanced raids and bosses, instead of an entire shallow world you have to quest grind in zoned off by mountains and linear progression, yuck.

This is the answer to a successful mmorpg, the spirit of competition, themepark OR sandbox(even better). Actually designing a proper flow of spells that people can have a drive to compete with, I practically just typed gold for any game developer, it's a shame I'm a minority that won't be heard, along with the few people who have enough self awareness to know what makes a game good.

Your color scheme guarantees many will not read that.

that and he agreed with the op.

Yeah I read some of it. . first it is opinion stated as fact. . then the colours to grab attention which is very hard on the eyes. . the the all CAPS WORDS!  The the UNDERLINED ALL CAPS WORDS!!!!.  If your argument is good you don't need that.  It looks like a bad informercial.

I'm sorry but that's how I type in all my replies, if my opinion of the average gamer is any indication of how low I think their attention span is, then you can tell why I type like that, I just don't like to put so much effort in a post for it to be ignored, especially when I think it's this relevant. I'm also sorry to Aethaeryn for stating my opinion as a fact in something I believe I have much experience in, I'm sorry if that alone killed my whole argument, if that made you stop reading, if you just couldn't stand to read something so opinionated because if it's opinionated there's no way there could be truth to it, I didn't mean to cheapen my points in any way from the way I type to such open minded people like you.

There you go, I removed the colour scheme, boldness and underlining of words, will you read it now? What's that? You won't? Is it because you already read it, disagreed with it, but have nothing to refute it with? I certainly hope you read it, please don't be nit picky, it shows weakness more than anything. It's really not that hard to paste it in a notepad or something if it bothers you THAT much, since you went through the effort to reply to it in the first place, as if bright white is so much better than dark yellow.

Sorry if I sound a bit stern, but there's there's this underlying hope in me that the few with my opinion will one day complain loud enough for big developers to hear, to finally push them to make that game that "feels right" instead of these recycled, yet poorly done clones.

If you're going to copy WoW, at least make it better than WoW. I'm tired of holding such a poorly done mmorpg to such a high standard.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by bliss14

You don't know how right you truly are. That is 100% the reason why WoW is still number one, however it goes over everyone's head. Especially on a roleplay-ish website like this, I doubt anyone in this entire thread will agree with you besides me. Most people here aren't actually playing WoW and consider it a poison to the mmorpg genre, which it is to be honest, as an "mmorpg", it's horrible in terms of progression and freedom, it's a linear quest grinder with no sense of wonder or exploration, but what do people say while leveling up? "I can't wait to get into pvp", or raiding, etc. The competition is the driving mindset that gives this game any value. Many games have made wow clones and slapped a few classes together with fancy sounding spells that have no real flow, so in PvP things really just don't work, it's basically two people spamming dps spells at each other until the other's health bar goes down. This is NOT WoW, and anyone who's played arena or dueled for more than 30 minutes and have taken the time to read the synergy and counters of the spells and classes, will no doubt agree with me.

Most players, even though they're not the best at PvP, all have a drive to become the best or to invest time in a game where competition is valuable, (there's a reason MOBA is the most popular genre in the world, the combat is a worse, less interactive version of WoW but that's what the masses hold as "competitive" for the time being) albeit WoW's PvP has been dumbed down very much over the years, but still, compared to anything else that's out there it's still the most responsive, complex, mobile combat system there is. I find it comical that people call Tera "action combat" and WoW "stand still tab targeting", I can't blame them for hating on wow. In Tera, you can't avoid animation locks even by running around, or talking to an NPC, the game engine is terrible and so is the combat, it's clunky, slow paced and animation locked, but because it has no "tab target" it's considered innovative, if anything it's a huge step back in the genre, to me that's years behind WoW.

Look at WoW's camera control, fluidity, movement, responsiveness, bug free game play and combat, in fact, it's probably the most responsive game I've played in my life, yes, overall game, not even just mmorpg's. People don't realise what makes it feel so "right".

I wish developers would start understanding this is the entire foundation of WoW's success and STOP trying to make WoW clones, because the actual themepark design of it is painfully boring, if WoW had a clunky camera with stand still combat and spells that are only made to sound cool. I GUARANTEE you, it would be nothing like it is today, and has been.

Maybe one day someone will figure this out. Oh well. The people who disagree with this haven't played WoW at a competitive level and have somehow found enjoyment out of it being an "mmorpg", it confuses me how that's possible, I don't even know who thought themeparks would be a good idea, in what world have they ever been entertaining? There's a reason people are virtually BEGGING for something new. It was outdated and boring to begin with.

Perhaps WoW should of been more of a lobby based PvP game with instanced raids and bosses, instead of an entire shallow world you have to quest grind in zoned off by mountains and linear progression, yuck.

This is the answer to a successful mmorpg, the spirit of competition, themepark OR sandbox(even better). Actually designing a proper flow of spells that people can have a drive to compete with, I practically just typed gold for any game developer, it's a shame I'm a minority that won't be heard, along with the few people who have enough self awareness to know what makes a game good.

Your color scheme guarantees many will not read that.

that and he agreed with the op.

Yeah I read some of it. . first it is opinion stated as fact. . then the colours to grab attention which is very hard on the eyes. . the the all CAPS WORDS!  The the UNDERLINED ALL CAPS WORDS!!!!.  If your argument is good you don't need that.  It looks like a bad informercial.

I'm sorry but that's how I type in all my replies, if my opinion of the average gamer is any indication of how low I think their attention span is, then you can tell why I type like that, I just don't like to put so much effort in a post for it to be ignored, especially when I think it's this relevant. I'm also sorry to Aethaeryn for stating my opinion as a fact in something I believe I have much experience in, I'm sorry if that alone killed my whole argument, if that made you stop reading, if you just couldn't stand to read something so opinionated because if it's opinionated there's no way there could be truth to it, I didn't mean to cheapen my points in any way from the way I type to such open minded people like you.

There you go, I removed the colour scheme, boldness and underlining of words, will you read it now? What's that? You won't? Is it because you already read it, disagreed with it, but have nothing to refute it with? I certainly hope you read it, please don't be nit picky, it shows weakness more than anything. It's really not that hard to paste it in a notepad or something if it bothers you THAT much, since you went through the effort to reply to it in the first place, as if bright white is so much better than dark yellow.

Sorry if I sound a bit stern, but there's there's this underlying hope in me that the few with my opinion will one day complain loud enough for big developers to hear, to finally push them to make that game that "feels right" instead of these recycled, yet poorly done clones.

If you're going to copy WoW, at least make it better than WoW.

In some ways you are right, the game is that well made and for any company trying to copy their 'formula' they need to be able to improve on it, except, Blizzard are carrying right along and doing that too, and by now they have got pretty good at it. But your still wrong, at least imo, about what players are focusing on while levelling, personally i think their just playing the game, few of them ever end up in PVP and i doubt that many end up raiding either, there really is more to WoW than just those 2 things, and i think that is the reason why it really is that popular, and probably why WoD will, like previous expansions, shift a huge amount of boxes, and revitalise subs for a while, because the returnees are just waiting for new content, and WoD promises to give something new again, much like the pet battle system did in previous expansions.image

• ProblemProblem Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Another pointless topic.

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

WoW is #1 for two simple reasons. 

1) It has reached an extremely high volume of polish

2) It offers high quality choices to every type of theme park MMO player out there. From the very casuals to the dedicated raiders and high rated arena PvP'ers

Blizzard realized that in an mmo where progression is based upon gearing up your characters you have to make this progression accessible to everyone, in one form or another. 

To bad the Carbine folks where not paying attention when the above lesson was presented. 

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by TheRealBanango

PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER.

and I do mean that. take a look at this for at least 2 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6oojD8Km4

competition is human nature. It's a sport, some people prefer to play that in a virtual world.

That has to be the ugliest, most pathetic e-sports i have seen so far. Is this for real?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Spankster77

I don't play WoW anymore but anyone saying that WoW isn't a quality game is just ridiculous.  Pound for pound WoW is the most quality game in the genre.  Note:  I said quality not the "best", as you can't realistically quantify the best.  Every aspect of WoW is completely refined, the game is well tuned, and there is more than enough to do to keep you busy.

The only real area where WoW "fails", is that it's a victim of it's own success.  The game is 10 years old and looks like it's 10 years old.  Sure they have made graphic improvements by tweaking the shading, increasing textures and shadows but the engine is still over 10 years old.  The only other real complaint I would have is that Blizzard releases content too quickly in every x-pack since WoTLK so you are left with 12 + months on a single tier, which drives people away. 

P.S. - to all the themepark haters...  WoW is proof that gamers prefer themeparks over "open ended" games.  The numbers do not lie.  After 10 years WoW still holds almost 7 million paying subs.  I played WoW for 8 + years, I am currently playing GW2 and I think the GW2 is a way better RPG than WoW (in terms of story, graphics, combat etc) but overall people need a reason to log on once they max level...  I think GW2 could take a hint from WoW in this area, a carrot on a stick isn't a bad thing in games.

Since when is Theme Park and Open Ended mutually exclusive?

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

really? pvp? really...

the reason is IMO they do / did a great marketing job at the height of their popularity over the years and expanding and reaching out to a more younger crowd of today

that being said..i liked the game alooooong time ago but i didnt like the direction it was headed and i left for my own reasons

the pvp in wow is super watered down as far as mmo's go 

the pvp is kinda like a side bar or mini game and does not mesh well together..maybe im just old fashioned but i dont care for instanced pvp with borders and CTF style

also imo arenas and pvp gear put a hinder on the game as  well..theres a huge majority  of people that play now just for arenas and could care less about the next "up coming big thing"  cuz all they care about is dueling outside of a city waiting for a 10min fight in arena trying  to get "that cool looking pvp gear"

its gotten to the point that pvp is really the only thing to do because the content is soo easy / breezy to finish and all is left is to Q for arenas or twiddle thumbs

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Let's not trivialize the IP by saying that World of Warcraft was forged on the back of it's PvP. Let's not forget that Warcraft was out far before WoW was and it had a dedicated player base in the millions. I seem to remember hearing about Warcraft 2 doing like 4 million boxes or something and that just blowing my mind. 

I'm not saying that WoW wasn't an amazing experience in and of itself, it was, but there was already a HUGE established fan base. In fact, there was even novels being written about Warcraft before World of Warcraft. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by BurntCabbage

really? pvp? really...

the reason is IMO they do / did a great marketing job at the height of their popularity over the years and expanding and reaching out to a more younger crowd of today

that being said..i liked the game alooooong time ago but i didnt like the direction it was headed and i left for my own reasons

the pvp in wow is super watered down as far as mmo's go 

the pvp is kinda like a side bar or mini game and does not mesh well together..maybe im just old fashioned but i dont care for instanced pvp with borders and CTF style

also imo arenas and pvp gear put a hinder on the game as  well..theres a huge majority  of people that play now just for arenas and could care less about the next "up coming big thing"  cuz all they care about is dueling outside of a city waiting for a 10min fight in arena trying  to get "that cool looking pvp gear"

its gotten to the point that pvp is really the only thing to do because the content is soo easy / breezy to finish and all is left is to Q for arenas or twiddle thumbs

Fully agree!

*thumbs up*

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER.

and I do mean that. take a look at this for at least 2 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6oojD8Km4

competition is human nature. It's a sport, some people prefer to play that in a virtual world.

Ha, ha, ha, ... could not care less for PvP then i currently do, but Wow is best game ever for PVE content, complexity, ... etc ... But for sure as I hear has one of best PvP content and integration into PVE. But would not know from 1st person experience.

• HermnHermn Member Posts: 17

Hahahahaha No.

The real reason WoW was, and is so popular, is that it came out at a time where the genre was not even close to being as big as it is today, and came from a franchise that was already well established and had alot of fans

That plus a shitload of marketing, and that most people had never played anything like it before, is why it became popular.

And ofc that it was a damn good game.

• NoradXIIXNoradXIIX Member UncommonPosts: 174

PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER.

Pvp did not actully "exist" first in wow. just let you know.

The "real" reason is cuz it's blizzard. They got a huge budget from diablo and the warcraft series before wow and then they spend all their energy in making one awsome "new" game at the time. And they are the leaders cuse they formed the "fresh" 3d massive multiplayer online roleplaying game. Blizzard got lotz of more money to continue throw at wow. Lots of games like that was already out in the market before wow slammed down. But they stuck to their gameplan and likewise companies wanted to create something as good as wow. thats why nearly a decade of games just fell into the pit. Wow was the secure card for fun. Then the PvP took speed. It really is good in that department and fucked up here and there, but they listen to the people who plays and makes "them" happy! :) 

MMO-Hunter/Spethz
    [email protected]

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222

You are 100% correct. The only reason why i ever think of returning is to claim my throne as either top DPS in the raiding environment, or to wreck face in arenas. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

PvP is hardly where Wow does best, what makes it the biggest MMO is that it was the first MMO with excellent coding and the fact that it is really well made. That Blizz released it surely doesn't hurt either.

But Wow PvP wise is just average, they did take soloing and raiding to a new level but others have followed there even if Wow still have an edge for raiders.

But Wow is also something few other games are: Well known outside MMO circles. All gamers and many none gamers as well know about it which means many people get it for Xmas and birthdays as well as if someone decides to try a MMO it will be the game they have heard about.

Wows greatness comes from how well the game was made, it had 5 times the budget of any other MMO when it came out and had far more experience programmers. That doesn't really mean that the gameplay in itself is more fun.

I am somewhat surprised that it still is so huge as it is though after 10 years....

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

My daughter played the trial last week and said, "It was fun."  That's why she's going to finish playing the trial and might actually buy the game.  It was fun.

World of Warcraft is fun to play.  That's why it is still number one.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• HeebKnightHeebKnight Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Bandwagons follow the laws of physics.  The larger the mass, the greater the gravitational pull to collect more dense gray matter with no drive or direction of it's own as it floats by.
  • burcakozolburcakozol Member Posts: 7
    The real reason of WoW success is the huge content it offers. This content has much expanded over the years. Only game that may compete with WoW has to offer almost same amount of content without messing up with game mechanics, and that would not be an easy task. I have high hopes for the future of FFXIV, though I don't see it or compare it as a WoW killer. It will expand over time offering huge content that will lead to a stable success. I didn't play GW2 so I can't predict about its future. Rift was released as a WoW killer, but its content was small with weird character animations that I couldn't stand watching. Visuals are not everything, game content is.