Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is SL considered an MMORPG?

RainGodRainGod Member Posts: 5
So I have been playing Second Life (SL for short) for quite some time now and was wondering if it falls under the category of MMORPG. While it is a sandbox/virtual world, it has parcels/sims you can role-play in. 

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Similar i guess but the "G" in MMORPG stands for Game and second life isn't a game.  Consider it more a multi-user Virtual World.
  • Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

Technically it is a game you role play in so yes, but it is completely different from the standard mmorpg formula because you don't quest or level up. That might be why people have a hard time seeing it as an mmorpg.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Logos1326

Technically it is a game you role play in so yes, but it is completely different from the standard mmorpg formula because you don't quest or level up. That might be why people have a hard time seeing it as an mmorpg.

Word. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Even the guys behind the game, Linden Labs, say it isn't a game.  Can't argue with the developers.

It isn't a game because it does not have a designated objective, nor traditional game play mechanics or rules.  There is no winning or losing.  

Second Life is basically a role playing chat site.

• gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148

Well for me its a No, why? For me MMORPG consist of battle, quests, dungeons, PVP's, actions, winning or losing. But then as I had reviewed this game its kinda and open world, chatting and etc. more like of an 3d version of iDate game.

Sad to say but, its kinda boring for me. I'd like some classic actions of MMO's.

• sn072856sn072856 Member UncommonPosts: 56

OP:

I respectfully disagree with just about everything you said.

You said:   "Can't argue with the developers."   Oh really,  I do believe the majority of the posts on this web site are from someone who disagrees with the developers and/or publishers about something.....

You said:  "... it does not have a designated game objective, ...."     Definition of a sand box game......

You said: "  .... traditional game play mechanics or rules."   Yes it does,  just because they don't resemble WOW or EQ doesn't mean they don't exist.

You said " There is no winning or losing."   Like all sand box games; winning is user defined.  (think about all the players who define a "good" game as one that has housing they can decorate.... ) (I don't get it,  but to each, their own...)

You said " Second Life is basically a role playing chat site."    subjective,,  it strikes me as a sandbox game, some aspects of which resemble the real world.  Other aspects (fortunately) do NOT resemble the real world....

Just my opinion but I believe Second Life IS a MMORPG...

I have a life, its just different from yours.....

• greenie881greenie881 Member Posts: 9

it's a huge sandbox. There's a Final Fantasy 7 sim. There are zombie themed sims. I remember the movie "I am Legend" having a sim there as well as part of their marketing. 

Also... there are adult sims.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Second Life is a virtual world framework, it's not a game. But it contains various games and stuff.

If you consider Second Life to be an mmorpg then you also have to consider the whole internet to be an mmorpg. Both are tools on which people build games and roleplay in.

• KOOLLAYDKOOLLAYD Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Technically either answer has the potential of being correct. Personally I class SL as a social network myself and I don't look at it as an mmo. It depends on how you play and what you do when you log on. I mean let's be real the only reason it's on the mmo list on this site is because of the creative aspect only. That's it because if it was based on what you normally see on SL then we'd have Red Light Center on the mmo list here as well. So I am going to break it down and make it real simple for folks. If what your doing when your jacked into the matrix has to be done with the door shut then it's not a game. That's really the bottom line to it. Anyone claiming different is just full of crap.
  • MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Flem

Even the guys behind the game, Linden Labs, say it isn't a game.  Can't argue with the developers.

It isn't a game because it does not have a designated objective, nor traditional game play mechanics or rules.  There is no winning or losing.  

Second Life is basically a role playing chat site.

Nope, its just a virtual world sandbox. There's so many things going on right there, you got thousands of sims, you got so many combat meter (which does the level up system), and you got second life combat meter (More into First person shooter), heck they even have a game that replicates pokemon called "krafties".  

These combat meters are designed by the people playing second life (Nothing to do with the linden lab developers), and is designed to be able to kill (Win) in an mmorpg manner, whilst second life combat meter.. well it's really just one hit k.o, you better be good at dodging bullets.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by randomt

Second Life is a virtual world framework, it's not a game. But it contains various games and stuff.

If you consider Second Life to be an mmorpg then you also have to consider the whole internet to be an mmorpg. Both are tools on which people build games and roleplay in.

This.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

by all accounts its an MMORPG, it also still has 1 million active users.

I am unclear why so many people seem to think its not a major player in this space...other than now it seems to revolve around the other kind of role playing

family guy explains SL without knowing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtbZRqu5s7c

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by RainGod
    So I have been playing Second Life (SL for short) for quite some time now and was wondering if it falls under the category of MMORPG. While it is a sandbox/virtual world, it has parcels/sims you can role-play in. 

Honestly it is. In a broad sense of the word. However it more accurately classifies as a virtual world.

What's ironic is it fits into what many people on this site claim to want, but many also refuse to acknowledge it as an actual game.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

It's a game in the say way that the internet itself is a game. How hard is that?

It's a virtual internet, in which there are games and information sites, like the internet. It's like in Futurama when the gang go into the future internet and it's a 3d world. That's like Lawnmower Man 2, and any number of future representations of the internet.

The comparison here is like saying "gee, the internet is a MUD because it has text and people reading the text, like a MUD!" - this is faulty logic.

(MUD = text based mmo type game)

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Well the game itself is just a Sand-Box where you can go to build things, the MMORPG part comes in where players create Simulators based around Role-Playing, or Combat other than this I was just in the game for about 10 hours fixing my inventory, and backing up all my content in an asset box earlier I decided to check out how the game was doing and its not good at all.

-Other-

. Mesh is really outdated Linden lab stuck mesh into the viewer which was already outdated runs very slowly and creates problems rendering content its not as smooth as it used to be at least for me.

. The AMD Driver Bug is still in the game the Sun is rendered incorrectly so you have to turn off shaders in the game.

. The Sandbox Griefing has got better since the last time I played, but the situation with CDS / Red Zone like systems still exist in the game if you have your Media turned on anywhere you go in the game or allow media to be played you are likely being spied on by the (CDS) system even visiting your favorite store.

The problem with CDS is that the creator of the system is very shady has been involved with Known Griefers, and CopyBots and still currently is involved with such to my knowledge but he runs a system called (Client Detection System) which is supposed to prevent Botters and Griefers from harming residents, but in Reality his system has the ability to Log IP addresses, Track Alternate Accounts, Track Locations of Avatars in World. (The Creators claims this can't be done but without being able to see the code, or his Real Life server/computer there is no way to prove it doesn't do any of this.

I complained about this on the SL forums and the moderator mysteriously deleted the post didn't take it seriously, and Linden Lab seems to be working with this resident allowing him to Defame other residents, and Disturb the peace because I don't want to on anyone's Estate or Land where his system is I don't want to be stalked in Second Life by this user who Linden Lab gives a free pass to.

Not only my complaints but his system doesn't protect merchants he is making (Free Money) off a system that won't really do anything in the long run but stop ignorant people, I know because I grief griefers back people who attacked me in Second Life before I was able to bypass his system multiple times with alternate accounts and do whatever I choose to do.

. The 4th problem is that if your inventory gets deleted, or Your account gets compromised because there is no IP Verification option like in Guild Wars 2, and using a Third Party Approved Viewer you never know if someone will sneak in a MD5 Password Steal or KeyLogger so lets say by all means if someone's account inventory is deleted Linden Lab can't restore the inventory.

Nope I wouldn't consider Second Life a MMORPG itself anymore, The Simulator has got a lot worse due the the CDS, and Red Zone Incidents as well as Griefers over the years since 2008 the game has been on  a major decline even today I checked Second Life nothing worth doing there unless you want to Hang with Friends, or do a Role-Play region or adult things nothing to do besides this.

In fact most players I know since I played in Second Life have moved on to other games as well and rarely use Second Life anyways.

Linden Lab is rumored to be Working on Second Life 2, perhaps the new Version of Second Life will be more like a MMORPG with new Technology which will have less Bugs, No more CopyBot, Inventory BackUp function, and allow users to download an Entire Region before entering the region to their cache similar to Entropia Universe.  Imagine in Second Life Right now if the Cache function worked a lot better and users could pre-load all mesh content on their PC before entering a region how much faster the simulator would actually work.

Imagine a game with new Development Tools, better ability to build things in world easier.

I am looking forward to a Second Life 2 in the near future, but pretty much have given up on Second Life, except for talking with old friends I used to know who still play once in awhile but for the most part I have been done with Second Life for 3 years as Linden Lab allows Residents to grief others and gives them the Green Card to do it out of Greed and money should this change, and security improvements come I might start over fully like I once was imagine knowing over 300 people in a game because that used to be me once.

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2014/06/linden-lab-building-second-life-2.html

If you are interested in doing Combat you might as well just download "Face OF Mankind" because its a Sand-Box Game, or almost any other game will have almost all the exact same features as Second Life but no chance for griefing.

. World OF Tanks = Beats Second Life Tank Combat.

. Mech Warrior Online = Beats MCM Combat in Second Life

. Your Average Shooter beats Second Life in many ways.

. HearthStone = DiceL Board Game

. League OF Legends, Smite, DOTA 2 = Prim Wars, or better yet Saga Online is a better example.

Only things that you can do in Second Life compared to any other game is "Adult Content" & "Avatar Customization" to high levels but beyond that every other game beats Second Life.

Hopefully this helps explain Second Life better from someone who has actually played since 2008, Quit in Late 2012, and logged in randomly since then to talk to friends on and off / check the status of what is going on on the grid.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by RainGod

Honestly it is. In a broad sense of the word. However it more accurately classifies as a virtual world.

What's ironic is it fits into what many people on this site claim to want, but many also refuse to acknowledge it as an actual game.

Well the thing about SL is I just can not get into it's graphics/animations, understandable due what's possible in game. Yet I do want many things SL in it's virtual world form but with visuals and more "game" intergrated for those who want just that or just want that option. I know it's possible in SL but as said I just can't get into it's visuals. 

I disagree that's SL is a actuall game, but it does have game elements, but SL goes far beyond just being a actuall game in my opinion of course. But I do feel it fits being called a MMORPG because even though I might not like the game I do know there are plenty of game elements and gamers who don't care much for visuals. 

• KOOLLAYDKOOLLAYD Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Second life=free virtual phone sex=dirty dirty sluts=happy happy jerk times=many many sticky sticky keyboards=money in replacement parts=high increase in divorce rates=very very happy lawyers=lotsa broke banks accounts. Nuff said. lol :)
  • AccessSDeniedAccessSDenied Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited September 2016
    I developed a VRMMORPG RCE free market economy mining simulation game on the Second Life platform where players can mine up resources and lindens, (real $), by Pick-mining rocks, Lumber-jacking, Smelting, Researching, Cooking, Eating, Praying, Exercising, Swimming, Snorkeling, Deep-sea diving, Astronomy, Star Data Research, Planetary Data Research, Alien EBE Interaction, ISBE Perception Research, Crafting, Trading, and so much more.
    The concept of the mining system goes much deeper then most realize at first, because unlike most Second Life land traffic system games, the land owners/rock owners aren’t just the purchasers of land traffic, they are part of the game and can use the Land Owner point system to access unique items to sell to visitors or use themselves.The skills and stats they gain help to produce and sell picks and other craft-able tools to other players, offsetting traffic costs and eventually profiting with benefit of the traffic too.

Read more bout it in the FAQ: http://workwithaccess.com

Have a great day and happy mining!
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    It's an MMORPG from back when "MMORPG" was a far more encompassing term than what today's gamers perceive it as. Here are some other games categorized as MMORPGs from around that time: 
    • Star Wars Galaxies (SWG)
    • A Tale in the Desert (ATITD)
    • There
    • Puzzle Pirates
    • EVE Online
    • Project Entropia (now Entropia Universe)
    • Shadowbane
    • Horizons (now Istaria)
    • ToonTown
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Second life is a virtual world complete with several MMORPG's within it.  I can play a Jedi Knight, D&D Elf or a vampire, all with large environments to support gameplay, just to name three.  MMO's are virtual worlds after all.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey