Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we gaming in a "post-guild" era?

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    For MMOS that still require a coordinated effort to overcome challenges, guilds are as relevant as ever.

Things is most newer MMOS don't require this anyone, a whirling zerg ball usually suffices in most situations.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by eldaris

Lost any interest in big guilds as soon one of them in classic wow wanted an "interview" and a "probe period". I only care about small friendly guilds with people I like to chat with, I don't care about how good players are them as long they are nice and able to have a nice chat.So I am quite glad that gold era of guilds in mmos is over,I can't wait for a mmo with no guilds at all,a friend list is more than enough.

Yeah, I think once guilds got to that point, the publishers had to do something to make them less relevant.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by YoungCaesar
    maybe in trash themeparka, but in sandbox games guilds are pretty much everything, you could write books with all the guild history.

And they will be as interesting as a gang history book, probably even less.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Torvaldr   If you have a small, but well functioning guild why would you risk destroying that dynamic by adding new members? Those are questions anyone could ask, or that new players might ask.

You bring up a very good point there. Small, tight guilds are often at a disadvantage, as the MMOs that do offer 'support' for guilds often do so in a manner that almost requires expanding the guild because of activity points or guild members that need to be accumulated to unlock higher tiers of guild features. The devs often create "goals" where the most effective way to accomplish them is simply throwing bodies at the problem.  

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Beatnik59
    Originally posted by eldaris Lost any interest in big guilds as soon one of them in classic wow wanted an "interview" and a "probe period". I only care about small friendly guilds with people I like to chat with, I don't care about how good players are them as long they are nice and able to have a nice chat.So I am quite glad that gold era of guilds in mmos is over,I can't wait for a mmo with no guilds at all,a friend list is more than enough.
    Yeah, I think once guilds got to that point, the publishers had to do something to make them less relevant.

Some of the most social people I meet while playing online games were in small guilds or in no guild at all so I don't think the problem is new games are not encouraging guilds or socializing but that online gaming got so popular that it's harder than before to meet the right people.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

maybe in trash themeparka, but in sandbox games guilds are pretty much everything, you could write books with all the guild history.

Either you've never played a sandbox MMO or you just have some odd bias against them. Rolled, maybe? :( 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Either you've never played a sandbox MMO or you just have some odd bias against them. Rolled, maybe? :( 

Some guild drama is interesting history? I will pass. I wonder how many are interested to read something like that ... that is if someone actually waste the time to write it up.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by eldaris Lost any interest in big guilds as soon one of them in classic wow wanted an "interview" and a "probe period". I only care about small friendly guilds with people I like to chat with, I don't care about how good players are them as long they are nice and able to have a nice chat.So I am quite glad that gold era of guilds in mmos is over,I can't wait for a mmo with no guilds at all,a friend list is more than enough.

Some of the most social people I meet while playing online games were in small guilds or in no guild at all so I don't think the problem is new games are not encouraging guilds or socializing but that online gaming got so popular that it's harder than before to meet the right people.

Oh I agree 100%.  Some of the best roleplayers I met were tagless.  Some of the funniest people I met were tagless.  The most interesting characters were tagless.

Guild folks from the bigger, more elite guilds tended not to have much imagination or personality.  You'd crack a joke and they'd go:  "???".  You ask them where they're from, and they'd say "Tulsa, Oklahoma" instead of "Nothram."  They just were playing a different game than the rest of us, I suppose.

Then again, the random loot generator and the combat engine really didn't care about things like humor and roleplay skill.  Hence, why guilds didn't have much of an incentive to encourage humor and roleplay skill back in the WoW era.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by eldaris Originally posted by YoungCaesar maybe in trash themeparka, but in sandbox games guilds are pretty much everything, you could write books with all the guild history.

I think eve is quite the sandbox,some of the most friendly people in that game were in a npc corp not in a player made guild.Sadly ffa pvp seems to bring out the worst in people and it's the same in competitive games based on epic loot.

Oh I agree 100%.  Some of the best roleplayers I met were tagless.  Some of the funniest people I met were tagless.  The most interesting characters were tagless.

Guild folks from the bigger, more elite guilds tended not to have much imagination or personality.  You'd crack a joke and they'd go:  "???".  You ask them where they're from, and they'd say "Tulsa, Oklahoma" instead of "Nothram."  They just were playing a different game than the rest of us, I suppose.

Then again, the random loot generator and the combat engine really didn't care about things like humor and roleplay skill.  Hence, why guilds didn't have much of an incentive to encourage humor and roleplay skill back in the WoW era.

Very true, not sure if certain night elf rogue is still around but I miss the fun I had on your birthday party in Ironforge,buying ice cream and wine for all the guests and then logging in my mage for the special effects show.

• kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Technology done many good things for gaming but also many bad things, i dont know how many of you played vanilla wow but back then u had to go where you wanted , you actully had to group up with people by talking to them , there were always people around entrances to all sort of stuff , i recall near battleground entrance many people were chatting laughing dueling while waiting, the cities were full of people that were just chating around, both alliance and horde players knew each other and there were alot of real feeling like hate towards specific players from the other side and respect and friendliness and hostility the social aspect back then was very high , and it made having a guild very importent, you usuely joined a guild to do everything with it, you had to run to the different locations with ur guild members , while in raids u had alot of chances to chat and get to know better...
    Now days those things are lost its hard to get attached to people when you got strong matchmaking tools with auto teleport cross server match etc..for anything and having allmost no need to join a guild because of that.
    I love meeting people in the games i play but i got to be honest i played alot of mmo games and it became alot harder, which is kinda ironic because now you got alot more tools for talking.
    P.S I think it is still possible to go back to that path, i am sure younger people will complain at first but overall it will recreate a much stronger social aspect which is good for both the players and the companies simply because its 1 of the importent features to keep people playing in your game.