Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] H1Z1: What’s Next for H1Z1?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

When some of PlanetSide 2’s best and brightest developers stepped away from the game several months ago to work on a new secret project, you sort of knew something special had to be in the pipe.  It wasn’t long before we found out that it was SOE’s new survival horror MMO, H1Z1.  No, it’s not a game about rampaging STDs, but rather a game about shambling zombies.

Read more of Red Thomas's H1Z1: What's Next for H1Z1?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Shouldn't it be what's first for H1Z1? :-p

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Hmm. A stealth MMO. Well, reason #2 for me to pass on it. I get easily bored by always needing to be stealthy in games. 
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Shouldn't it be what's first for H1Z1? :-p

lol No kidding, I really thought about changing it to that

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I am super excited for this game. I went and bought ARMA II expressly to play some Day Z but the controls are so creepy hard I have yet to even attempt it. I hope this game has a bit more forgiving control scheme. I can't wait.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Samhael
    Hmm. A stealth MMO. Well, reason #2 for me to pass on it. I get easily bored by always needing to be stealthy in games. 

You know that guy in movies or video games who has the giant machine gun, minigun, or other rapid-firing weapon  who kicks down the door and sprays bullets everywhere until he's either out of ammo, or every enemy in the immediate area is reduced to a fine red mist? That's me. With very few exceptions (Dishonored, Far Cry 3) I don't like stealth games.

In other words, I'm in total agreement here.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Shouldn't it be what's first for H1Z1? :-p^

^This

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

Sadly in reality the guy who lunges in guns blazing is usually the first to die. Not saying every game needs to be realistic but sometimes it works.

Not every game is for everyone though, and that's cool.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    I am still unable to see how this could be a new home for SWG fans, as Mr Smedley said it would be.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sadly in reality the guy who lunges in guns blazing is usually the first to die. Not saying every game needs to be realistic but sometimes it works.

Not every game is for everyone though, and that's cool.

Well it would be plausible and effective if fighting Zombies,not like they have the intelligence to ambush you wrecking down a door.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I think the sandbox and crafting elements might make it a home to some SWG fans. They've mentioned how people will be able to build their own communities in the open world etc and not everyone will have to be a zombie hunter to survive.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Originally posted by Samhael

You know that guy in movies or video games who has the giant machine gun, minigun, or other rapid-firing weapon  who kicks down the door and sprays bullets everywhere until he's either out of ammo, or every enemy in the immediate area is reduced to a fine red mist? That's me. With very few exceptions (Dishonored, Far Cry 3) I don't like stealth games.

In other words, I'm in total agreement here.

Well, you could sneak up on said door before you bash it in then yell "SURPRISE!!!" once you kick it down, before unleashing a reign of bullets

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Nasa
    I am still unable to see how this could be a new home for SWG fans, as Mr Smedley said it would be.

Smedley has been so out of touch with the genre many of us were not surprised when he tried to make the comparison even though they have nothing in common.  

Best to just ignore him rather than trying to fathom his off the wall comments.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

Can you build and fortify your own bases? No?

Not interested in another DayZ clone.

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Do you lose all progression when you die in this game? I see it being a gankfest and have no desire to be a eternal lowbie, but at the same time not interested in a pure pve server either (or a special rule set server that 10 people are playing on). At least the release game will be free, wonder how much they're going to bleed us for early access? You know, to test their game. Think early access for their games should be included in the All Access Pass.  C'mon SOE, throw premium members a bone!
  • Ragnar1337Ragnar1337 Member CommonPosts: 70
    Still no date for early access? They said that would happen months ago. I don't care any more at this point, it is just the usual SoE bullshit. I've lost interest in following this game. They seem to just keep doing endless events to try to keep the hype going but won't give out any real info. I'm sure I will still try it if they ever release it but I kind of quit following it for now. 
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Ragnar1337
    Still no date for early access? They said that would happen months ago. I don't care any more at this point, it is just the usual SoE bullshit. I've lost interest in following this game. They seem to just keep doing endless events to try to keep the hype going but won't give out any real info. I'm sure I will still try it if they ever release it but I kind of quit following it for now. 

True, they threw this game in our faces and acted like it was so close to being released, now two months later, hype machine. I imagine the $99 founders packs will be next.

I'll just wait till release at this point, cause they done pissed me off now.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by TheOctagon

Actually from how I understand it, yes you can build and fortify your own base. Afaik you can build different doors and walls from wood to stone maybe even metal. And there is also stuff to defend against attackers like the landmines mentioned in the article.

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Originally posted by Alumicard
    Originally posted by TheOctagon

Actually from how I understand it, yes you can build and fortify your own base. Afaik you can build different doors and walls from wood to stone maybe even metal. And there is also stuff to defend against attackers like the landmines mentioned in the article.

Yes.  The way I understand it, you'll be able to build your own bases, or build around existing structures.  Steve George and I were chatting about it just tonight at SOE Live, and he specifically said that they intend to leave fields open for that sort of thing (you can't build walls and stuff in a heavily treed area).

And RE: SWG...  I don't think it's that Smed is out of touch, but more that what I was probably getting at didn't come across well.  I actually asked him about it SWG once.  In fact, I think it started something like this, "so, Smed...  SWG...  WTF?"  I know he's a fan of sandbox games and wasn't super thrilled about the SWG changes either.  The problem is, he runs a company and the fact is that we folks who like that sort of thing are the vocal minority.  He has to consider the business case.  We don't.   Well, I kind of do because I have to try to be fair to both sides, but you all don't.   Troll away.  =)

Oh, anyway.  What I was saying about Smed.  I think what he probably meant is that H1Z1 looks like the type of game that'll create some sense of community like SWG did.  Let's face it, no one really has come close to matching that brilliant crafting system they had in that game, except maybe the earlier system Firefall started off with.  H1Z1 won't.  I can almost guarantee that.  Not that their crafting won't be awesome, but it won't be anything like SWG.  It'll be cool based on what you can make with it, not so much how it's made.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Early access is what's next.... they say its soon, but that could be months from now.
  • blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

This game was originally announced at the beginning of the year by Smed for an Alpha release in May. It is now August and still no Alpha release.

All I see is a SOE hype engine in overdrive and a piss poor project management/development team who obviously have no idea how to even deliver an Alpha

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Nasa

I guess that depends on what you took away from SWG.  But let´s break it down as far as i understand it. (based on the info we have)

* Complex crafting that is vital to your progress (just like SWG)

* Player driven economy (just like SWG)

* Sandbox gameplay, be who you want to be. (Just like SWG)

* Class-less system (Just like SWG)

* Build your own home/base/maybe even city (just like SWG)

So there you go... That is how he claimed it woudl be a home for SWG vet´s. Not a unrealistic claim to make based on that info and what the SWG vet´s have said over the years.

This have been a good conversation

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

At first I was pretty pumped for this game when they announced it as being 4-6 from EA but the excitement just sizzled out for me.

I hope they end up making a good game though.
  • kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

You can build your own base  but as it seems now its another death match survival wanna be. Those kind of games dont have bright future its just a cash grab.

If they want to be remembered and make the jackpot they need to take risks and add alot more pve into it because  the more pve u got the better the pvp becomes  and think about it 

Immersion , social aspect.. dangerous environment  ... didnt see any of those  atm its pretty much a battleground  mode from WoW game with base custimization

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    been waiting tis game like 2 month now becouse they keep saying "soon" all time. now watching streams of gameplay i really doub they release game tis year. They want have SOE quality in early access, and that takes few month.
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    4 things to understand:
    SWG's spiritual successor is The Repopulation;
    H1Z1 is already available and is called DayZ;
    In both games, you will regret playing after your 50th death from a sniper rifle fired 1.5 miles away; and
    being a SOE Creative Director simply means you're good at copying other games.