Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Landmark: Things Are About to Get Even More Interesting

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Landmark is a game that was born of a need for Sony Online Entertainment to begin work on EverQuest Next and still be able to involve their players in the creation of the latter game.  With it, SOE hoped to achieve a bedrock of community that would bridge both games and allow them to give players unprecedented access to the development process.  At SOE Live, Dave Georgeson, Director of Development for Landmark and EverQuest Next, spoke at great length as to what was in store for SOE's building game.

Read more of Jean Prior's Landmark: Things Are About to Get Even More Interesting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Mixed feelings about all this coming, and I know I'm in the very small minority. But I've enjoyed quiet gathering and building in Landmark so far and kind of hate to see it all go away. I'm sure most people will be very happy to see this in game.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by SBFord

Read more of Jean Prior's Landmark: Things Are About to Get Even More Interesting.

Starting August 27th, your new goal in Landmark is going to be quite simple: Not dying.  As SOE launches what they're calling Phase 2 of the game's development

I'm looking forward to it

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I can understand people missing the quiet gathering. My hope would be to have separate servers for strictly building and gathering. Sort of like having a creative mode. I think you would have to make these separate from all the PvE/PvP islands/servers or else everyone will just gather and build in peace and then go fight.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    At the same time though, they said all along danger would eventually be an element. That this was in fact a full fledged MMORPG and not just a building simulator.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

Glad to hear it, because quite frankly last 8 weeks have seen the most action in the marketplace, and its all been a tad MEH, stagnant even.

With the same few in forums whooping and blowing kisses to SOE,s behind, while everyone claiming of to much marketplace focus, gets Boo'd down by yet again the same handful of people, make what you want of that, I have my own thoughts on the matter. 

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    As long as I can gather without too much difficulty, I will be happy with combat and death.  I assume that creatures will drop some kind of new resource as well, so that will add a lot to the fun!  I also assume that I can build on my claim in peace.  Having to beat down something when I am trying to line something up on my claim would probably be a deal breaker for me...
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

So much for my spending $60 and buying a new system just to play landmark. True to Form, SOE has to frak it up yet again..I should have gone with my first instinct and never even considered SOE again..

Never Again SOE...

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire

So much for my spending $60 and buying a new system just to play landmark. True to Form, SOE has to frak it up yet again..I should have gone with my first instinct and never even considered SOE again..

Never Again SOE...

Maybe you should have looked in to what you were buying?

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

Never Again SOE...

You bought a new system to play landmark???

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Yeah back during Alpha I made a thread saying that if PvP was going to be "on claim only" they might aswell not even do it. Time would be better spent working on other things. 

Very disappointing with all the potential the platform has. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Never Again SOE...

They explained that they were adding combat before they ever even offered the early access program. Should have done some reading.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Yeah yeah its all good, but I would really rather see some improvement on the voxel system. Building any detailed stuff is a nightmare and takes ages, and that is if it's even possible to get the voxels to behave. It is not really your imagination that decides how things will look, but rather how the voxel limitations allow it to look.

Voxel boards is cool and all, but as long as these voxel shapes require air voxels around them to not distort, there are serious limitations. I do not know what could fix the problem or how, but it is a fundamental problem with their voxel system that needs attention.

• druidsfiredruidsfire Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by nuttob
    As long as I can gather without too much difficulty, I will be happy with combat and death.  I assume that creatures will drop some kind of new resource as well, so that will add a lot to the fun!  I also assume that I can build on my claim in peace.  Having to beat down something when I am trying to line something up on my claim would probably be a deal breaker for me...

Either Terry Michaels or Dave Georgeson confirmed via answering someone's question during one of the panels that monsters that are killed will drop loot, just like most of us would assume from playing other MMOs.  

Yes, your claim is inviolate, so you won't have to fight off monsters to build.  However, you can also get monsters imported to your claim (mechanic has not been fully revealed) if you choose to turn it into a PVP arena, but they'd only be active while you've got the game table turned on.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Yay. definitely ready for some change in Landmark. I can only do so much building and gathering.

Combat and Monsters are welcome! I wonder if they are supplying a large variety of monsters, and animals (like bears, deer, foxes, etc.)? It sounded like the monsters they introduced were the only ones.... but that doesn't seem right.

I wish they would get to optimizing the game as well. It runs pretty rough on my system.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!