Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which processor is better for my needs.

kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Okay, I have a dual display setup currently, and will switch that out when I get a 880 when they launch early next year for a tri-display setup for gaming/utility.

I utilize my multiple display normally to run two games at once currently,  Usually running two games or multiple copies of the same game such whenever I'm on.  Currently running to give examples: ESO, DIII, MechWarrior, HEXTCG, and a few other games ran occasionally.  Normally also have webpage or something akin to office/excel opened with work/college.

I'll be running a 680 with this rig until the 880 comes out.

The three processors I'm looking at:

AMD-FX9590

i7-4790k

i5-4690k

@Cleffy thanks, didn't realize I wrote down the older 4770/4670 ones

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The FX-9590 is not good for anyone's needs. Its more a novelty item with a 220w TDP.

I would recommend the 4790 if you are not planning to wait for Broadwell at the end of the month.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

That AMD processor is for people who want an AMD build because they really like AMD. Any one else would just leave that CPU on the shelf and get something else instead.

The i7 and i5 will game nearly identically to each other. The i7 has 4 extra hyper threaded cores, but games almost never will utilize them and they aren't quite as good as 4 real cores would be in the first place.

If you encode a lot the hyper threaded cores could make a difference, they just don't with games. Even with multiple copies of games you won't see much benefit of these extra cores

It costs about $100 more for the i7 over the i5. If $100 is in the budget, no good reason to not go for the i7, but if you can find someplace else where $100 would be of more benefit (Beer money?) then I would put it there instead.

Web pages, MS Office, etc are all negligible loads on pretty much any CPU.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Not that AMD cpu regardless.

The choice between the I5 or I7 would just depend on the budget. You will be getting an 880 with a triple monitor setup, so seems you have money to blow on a kickass setup. Get an I7 if you have money to blow. Get an I5 if not. For most stuff you wont see a difference. But if you just want a cpu for when most of the time just wont do, an I7 would be my choice budget wasnt a big factor.

You will pay an extra $100 for the few times you may need  the I7 tho.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Cleffy

The FX-9590 is not good for anyone's needs. Its more a novelty item with a 220w TDP.

I would recommend the 4790 if you are not planning to wait for Broadwell at the end of the month.

Broadwell is not coming at the end of the month.  It might not even come by the end of the year.  And the first Broadwell chips are going to be the low power, low performance, but high price tag version that is of no interest to gamers--even in a laptop.  Broadwell chips suitable for gaming may or may not ever show up, but if they do, they're probably about a year away.  So no, that's not something to wait for.