Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ability to "Like / Dislike" a user's post.

2»

Comments

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by MikeB
    As we've mentioned when this has been brought up previously, we're OK with the idea of having a "Like" button, but we are not going to ever do a "Dislike" or downvote type of feature.

Can you please provide a link to previous discussion on the subject?  

If the goal is purely constructive discussion on a given subject matter, I find it hard to turn anywhere except reddit these days.  The reason, I feel, is that reddit's structure naturally weeds out unproductive emotional rants (ie. the ones that are not grounded in reason and/or are poorly articulated.)  Whereas forums like these tend to be absolutely dominated by such posts, to the point where it becomes almost impossible to have a civilized discussion.  It not only often feels frustrating to post anything here, it often feels pointless - as in, anything a reasonable person says here will promptly be swallowed up by so many troll posts (from both sides, in favor of or against a particular game) that it will not only fail to resonate with other readers, it will simply never be seen by other readers.  

Whenever I post anything of substance here, it feels like I might as well just write it in my personal diary, because nobody's every going to see it through the tangled weeds that are the infinite bits of bickering that are sure to follow anyway.

If I were to write something pointless but provocative, on the other hand, like "Wildstar's facebook 'likes' reach 1.2M surpassing ESO" I'd get a bajillion pointless responses defending one game or the other.  

All of that nonsensical banter can be virtually eliminated and self-policed by a well-implemented rating system.  

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I stopped posting on the LOTRO forums after they implented this idea. Dislike
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    I support a like button, but screw dislike buttons.
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

A like button adds no substance to a thread. It only encourages groupthink and mob support while at the same time not encouraging people to add their own substantive replies. Why type out a thoughtful reply when you can just click a button and leave all your reasons out of it.

People's choice I guess. Everyone wants things simplified to the point of just agreeing or disagreeing without explanation or discussion to find common ground.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Grunty
    The staff here has repeatedly stated there will never be negative ratings for what members post.

Not completely true.

Ive had a few posts deleted and a few temp-bans from moderators, cant get much more of negative rating to a post than that.

Course I was being a dick if I remember correctly.

*Just cause its hard to read sarcasm in a post,  yes Im being sarcastic*

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Lets make it facebook.

No thanks very bad idea.

topic: DISLIKE

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136

Dislike for the simple reason there are just to many haters and trolls lurking on forums these days with nothing better to do then flame and troll 24/7 / 7 days a week / 4 weeks a month / 12 months a year.

Make a positive post about something something ? 40 downvotes / dislikes in a matter of seconds.

Unless they are going to perma ban these kind of hopeless no lifers whos top priority is to bash and flame i can only say no please do not add this on these forums yet unless moderators are using a perma ban hammer and remove the option to make new accounts that can post directly without any posting rights approval system.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    This sort of thing distorts the purpose of the site. Did you come on here to discuss MMOs or be liked and make others unliked? We have social media for that, lets keep it there please.
  • CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Maybe a +1 button to avoid people saying just +1.  Although it would still likely happen