Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst character customization I've seen in a modern mmo, ever. Will WoD fix this?

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

In it's current state I believe the character customization is pretty vile, so little options and everyone ends up literally looking identical.

Can't change character size, voice, muscles etc and lacks so many hair options.

Is it still going to be in it's current state when WoD releases?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

no offense to WOW

but why are you calling a 10 year old mmo modern  ?

• romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I would like to know this as well. Might make me come back if so.
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

The options will still be as, 'limited', they'll just look better.

I.E. The polygon counts much higher but they aren't changing or adding to the fundamental options

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Nadia

no offense to WOW

Are you calling a game that gets a massive £60 expansion pack every two years 10 years old?

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Heres a plan... if you can't get into a beta, wait for it to release, then use their free trial account to create a new character.  This will be exactly the same character controls as in the retail version.  Since the game isn't releasing until 11-14-14, there's no big rush to find out.

My bet is, exactly the same character customizations as they have now, only with the new skins... but only for those models that have been completed.  Not all will be done at release.

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

Paper dolls are to your left. 

Why complain on something that wont change in a game that is 10 years old.

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Everyone looks the same with their raid gear on anyway why even bother having character customization ?
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Sarariel

no offense to WOW

Are you calling a game that gets a massive £60 expansion pack every two years 10 years old?

Ummmm......2-year expansion cycle with the same stuff isn't something to be that proud of when you're a MMO developer lol.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• chocolate-mousechocolate-mouse Member UncommonPosts: 73

Games seem to be moving backwards graphically in relation to  character art and more inline with WoW. EQnext and Landmark are the perfect example of this. With nothing on the horizon in mmorpgs (imo) that is offering anything better in terms of realism (I don't mean anime style). It seems to me Blizzard has done the smart thing in updating their models and its not far off of what EQnext, Landmark, Firefall, Wildstar will be/are offering. I myself have actually decided that to give Wow a real try. I could never connect mostly due to the character art. I figured with the way things are going if they are going to go backwards I might as well give the game that has the most features a real go. Maybe others who have resisted for so long for the same reasons may be thinking the same thing.

• chocolate-mousechocolate-mouse Member UncommonPosts: 73

*edit* double post :(

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

In it's current state I believe the character customization is pretty vile, so little options and everyone ends up literally looking identical.

Texture quality of the current models will improve, nothing else will be changed. character creation process will still be shit. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

I liked WoW for a while though, wanted to give it a try, but It's even more easy mode now.

Cashshop even selling level 90s now. Might as well delete all the zones up to Panda.

The character models look good, but it's everything that needs a overhaul, all the old content.

Old mounts incl animations, sounds ingame, roars, shouting during fights etc, fighting animations.

The time they take on the character models this probably means they will never do it.

Looking at Stormwind looking as a white Lego town and the forests around it looking liek cardboard....it's a shame.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Well ill take that shitty character creation tool instead of that copy/paste "so much optionz" korean character creation :) At least here men can have a beard :D

no offense to WOW

Everquest a mmo from 1999 has 20 expansions - with an expansion every year

that qualifies EQ1 to be a modern mmo too?

no offense to WOW

Yes it does c:

WoW has even had graphic re-makes, the game -looks- modern but has a letdown of a character creator.

Hell, look at what EVE managed to do with their character customization during a graphic haul

Blizzard are just lazy

no offense to WOW

not to mention EQ2 with their numerous expansion packs.

• reemireemi Member UncommonPosts: 45

For me WoW isnt something modern, it's an updated old game.

The technology is old and will always be. 

most mmos are limited by their launch game engine

i'm not expecting big changes to WOW 2004 character creation engine (but i could be wrong)

EQ1 did get a character model update in 2001 w Luclin expansion

but i didnt think the EQ characters looked any better

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

WoD won't change anything aside from the look of the options currently available. There are also haircuts available in the barbershop in-game that aren't available at the initial creation (though just styles from other races), if that helps.

WoW is one MMO that I've never put a lot of emphasis on character creation. Click a few quick options, make a character that's pleasing enough, and then forget what that character looks like as I gear up because it just isn't a focus.

It's strange that I like a robust character creation system in games (though there is such a thing as too much, like with Aion),  but it's just not a necessity in WoW at all and doesn't make the least bit of difference in the fun factor for me.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

In it's current state I believe the character customization is pretty vile, so little options and everyone ends up literally looking identical.Can't change character size, voice, muscles etc and lacks so many hair options. Is it still going to be in it's current state when WoD releases?

This isn't going to change. It's not an issue for WoW so they won't mess with anything like this.

I guess it only really bothers me so much due to the fact that I RP in the game.

I just think it'd be nice if I were able to properly customize my character to make it feel more unique and bonded to me for the RP side of the game

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Most mmos are limited by their launch game engine.

Yeah it is pretty rare to see games 10 years or older getting any sort of facelift. I know EVE Online had a huge overhaul with their character creator... but there are reasons they were able to pull that off. To implement character customization like Black Desert Online or ArcheAge with the same fidelity would cost too much and then expecting those character models to work seamlessly ingame with little to no impact is just not possible without some serious changes to the game engine. That alone would take years as well as the amount of resources and money to make it possible.

WoD might add a few additional customization features here and there, but nothing that is going to blow anyone's mind. Hell it's almost asking World of Warcraft to upgrade their engine to reflect something "close" to Dragon Age Inquisition or The Witcher 3. Realistic expectations thrown out the window. While we are at it, why not make The Secret Word (or other modern themed MMO games) have the same level of graphics as Batman Arkham Knight.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

no offense to WOW

Well, no offense to game you prefer instead of wow, but simple FACT is this 10 years old MMO is most modern, muscle packed, MMO on the world. Just try to live with this.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Agree, customization is a bit lacking, for the rest see my above post.

• What I've seen from pictures/videos of the new character models and the character creation it doesnt look like there's anything added besides a retexture. But like I said, thats only what I've seen from other sources.

Also, WoW can be called Modern if you follow what Wiki sais:

"Modern generally denotes something that is "up-to-date", "new", or contemporary."

WoW sure isn't "new", but it keeps updating, so it's "up-to-date" modern. ^-^