Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

60 euro is it worth it?

DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126

Heya, just wondering if anyone has bought and happy/regretful. I wouldn't mind paying if I got good access to the game. Is the beta running for awhile? or few days and nothing for a couple of weeks?

Cheers for replies/advice/info

Dead

Comments

• This is pretty early beta still, game doesn't have all features yet and many features are unfinished. The release it planned for end of 2014 so it will likely be at least 4 months before the game is ready.

So if you buy the game just be prepared that you're playing a game still undergoing heavy development.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Don't count on a 2014 release if game is still in a largely unfinished state right now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TrivanDKTrivanDK Member UncommonPosts: 12

I am wondering this myself - is it worth paying for now?

One thing I find strange - the trailer say 400 BILLION Star Systems - the beta say 55 Star Systems.... I know its beta - but kinda a big difference between 400 billon and 55?? - Am I missing something here? or?

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119

I paid $150 to get into the Premium Beta which started months back (right now its the Standard Beta phase) which also included the lifetime expansion pass. Anyways, the game is definitely worth it for 60 Euros. It's insanely well polished for a Beta. Heck, it was even polished when the Alpha came out. The individual sounds of the different ships, the ambient effects throughout the galaxy and the crazy detailing they have put inside to simulate the Milky way in 1:1 size has made this game one of the best experiences in a game as a space fan.

Look at these videos for some example of the details they put in

Solar Flare recorded in-game time-accelerated

Planetary rings

Galaxy Map

Also, look at this guy's channel for some great videos

ZeeWolf

Just remember though that it's Beta before buying it. While the game is playable by every means right now, they are still experimenting the features. Last version was heavily oriented on combat for making money while the latest Standard Beta introduced tons of new systems leading to people roaming around finding the best trading routes and getting rich without much combat.

Originally posted by TrivanDK

I am wondering this myself - is it worth paying for now?

One thing I find strange - the trailer say 400 BILLION Star Systems - the beta say 55 Star Systems.... I know its beta - but kinda a big difference between 400 billon and 55?? - Am I missing something here? or?

The entire galaxy is procedurally generated based on data taken from various sources. The original Elite (years ago) also used the same system. Right now they are just opening the galaxy bit by bit. The Alpha had single player missions with no systems, premium beta had 8-10 systems and then they opened the sphere to include 50+ with the Standard Beta. 

• If I had a computer that could run this in its full potential I would buy this straight away.

I love space games and loved flight sim's since early age. This game looks awesome to me. Rly wish I had the money for a new computer.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

This is the first time I've heard about this game.

Just saw a few Youtube videos, what in the world...

Is it all about exploring? My kind of game!

Calling it amazing doesn't even do it justice.

Eleanor Rigby.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by PrinceDamien

If I had a computer that could run this in its full potential I would buy this straight away.

I love space games and loved flight sim's since early age. This game looks awesome to me. Rly wish I had the money for a new computer.

If it helps you a CS rep told me that a 7850K, R9 270x and 16 gb of DDR3 at 1866 Mhz would run Elite Dangerous at full bore no issues and if you believe that's low... the game is apparently capable of being run on a Ivy Bridge i5's integrated GPU at minimum graphics quality at 20 FPS.. I can't get EVE to do that without chopping up badly at times...

Originally posted by Treekodar

This is the first time I've heard about this game.

Just saw a few Youtube videos, what in the world...

Is it all about exploring? My kind of game!

Calling it amazing doesn't even do it justice.

It's primarily about Exploring and Trading but focuses a lot on fighting as well, both PvE and PvP. The Devs market it as a Sandbox since players control the economy based on the trading as well as events which will be introduced later. It's not like those space exploring only games. This is more closer to an instanced MMO with players around you engaging in PvE missions and PvP including piracy.

Look at the channel i linked above or just search it on Youtube, you will find tons of videos.

• shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47

I bought into this a while back, its very polished for a beta game.  I haven't had any issues what so ever.  Lots of features already in the game.  55 systems is to test the server while they are still adding features to the procedural generation (station variations, planet variations, AI variations ect. ect.)  They added a huge amount of changes coming into standard beta, ship to ship comms (voice comms with com like sound effects).

again a lot of content is already there, trading with a player effected supply and demand market, bounties, criminality, war, random encounters, factions, missions, the list goes on.

The only actual features I think still out are harvesting/mining.  

For instance, after the wipe and the standard beta launched  I flew the beginner ship in anarchy systems (no law) and pirated haulers leaving mining sites and space stations...basically getting them to drop cargo by blowing their cargo hatch or blowing them up before they jumped into super-cruise.  Made enough money from that and just this morning bought a little shuttle to run trade runs with 17 cargo spaces rather than 4, these include smuggling illegal goods past federation security forces and just playing the market between systems, as well as doing hauler type missions availiable at stations.  My future plans include going back to pirating with a bigger combat ship.

It's a great game already, probably my favorite of the passed 10 years.  

• Originally posted by Kyleran
    Don't count on a 2014 release if game is still in a largely unfinished state right now.
    Frontier has been very unwavering about the 2014 release. In addition, they are very industrious and are relying heavily on procedural generation of content, rather than having to handcraft missions and game space, so I wouldn't be too quick to count out a 2014 release.
  • pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Just be warned, I bought it, logged in, got a bit used to the flying mechanics.  What to do now?  No clue, the game doesn't give you any idea of how/what to land on or dock with.  I can fly around, that's about it.   I flew into (i.e. inside)  the space station that you are facing when you first start and I immediately get a warning that I am in restricted space and will soon be flagged for attack or some such craziness.   logged out, waiting for the game to have some sort of meaning....
  • SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by pappacube
    Just be warned, I bought it, logged in, got a bit used to the flying mechanics.  What to do now?  No clue, the game doesn't give you any idea of how/what to land on or dock with.  I can fly around, that's about it.   I flew into (i.e. inside)  the space station that you are facing when you first start and I immediately get a warning that I am in restricted space and will soon be flagged for attack or some such craziness.   logged out, waiting for the game to have some sort of meaning....

You have to get permission before you can dock.  It's under the station's name under "Contacts" in your left hand menu.  Then you get a pad number to land on inside the station.

After that you can start making cash to buy better ships so you can terrorize the galaxy more efficiently

Fair warning though.  If you are the type that walks away because they can't do two seconds worth of research you still probably won't like it.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

To me it has been well worth it. I loved the old school space sims back in the day, and this is all those were and a lot more. I'm seriously impressed with how polished it is for a beta and looking forward to how it improves from here. The learning curve is a bit steep and it definitely helps if you have a good controller (Xbox pad works fine, but a HOTAS is better).

I'm a bit concerned about how the multiplayer will turn out, there are a lot of people who want it to be, for want of a better term, Eve 2.0, but I don't really think that's the direction Frontier wants to bring things. And if they go there anyway, well it has never really been that hard to avoid the asshole contingent in Eve and the design of Elite Dangerous makes it a lot easier.

Also a bit concerned about the use of P2P networking, there are all kinds of potential issues there. Have to see how well they sort that out.

Anyway, definitely worth it, IMHO, with the understanding that it is a beta and the future is always uncertain.

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Hmmm thanks for all the replies. Almost ready to bite, one last question. If I buy, is my time limited? do I get a few days or can I play the single player part without breaks? 
    Originally posted by Myria

To me it has been well worth it. I loved the old school space sims back in the day, and this is all those were and a lot more. I'm seriously impressed with how polished it is for a beta and looking forward to how it improves from here. The learning curve is a bit steep and it definitely helps if you have a good controller (Xbox pad works fine, but a HOTAS is better).

I'm a bit concerned about how the multiplayer will turn out, there are a lot of people who want it to be, for want of a better term, Eve 2.0, but I don't really think that's the direction Frontier wants to bring things. And if they go there anyway, well it has never really been that hard to avoid the asshole contingent in Eve and the design of Elite Dangerous makes it a lot easier.

Also a bit concerned about the use of P2P networking, there are all kinds of potential issues there. Have to see how well they sort that out.

Anyway, definitely worth it, IMHO, with the understanding that it is a beta and the future is always uncertain.

By the by :) I have a sidewinder HOTAS (which I never use) ..... destiny is pushing me towards purchase.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by Deadlobster
    Hmmm thanks for all the replies. Almost ready to bite, one last question. If I buy, is my time limited? do I get a few days or can I play the single player part without breaks? 

Nah it's unlimited.

The Oculus subforum on reddit was extremely impressed with Elite - http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2c4w1w/tears_over_dk2_elite_a_total_surprise/

• EnglefieldEnglefield Member UncommonPosts: 22
    A suggestion if I may. If at all possible get a program called Voice Attack. I have a T.Flght HOTAS and find the amount of menu options a bit overwhelming with limited buttons on my stick.

It's not too expensive (there is a trial version) and can take time to set up but it is a fantastic aide to Elite. There are some great demo and tutorial videos on Youtube that are a great help.
  • ElgarLElgarL Member UncommonPosts: 191
    In my opinion, no game is ever worth 60 euros. Game prices were pushed up and up by tripple A studios and the dvent of the next gen consoles (PS2/XBOX).

Creator of ELTank and Nostalgia

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Deadlobster

Heya, just wondering if anyone has bought and happy/regretful. I wouldn't mind paying if I got good access to the game. Is the beta running for awhile? or few days and nothing for a couple of weeks?

I bought it just recently and certainly don't regret it. Already at this early stage it has everything that was in the old Elite games and more. The beta is ongoing, but there will be an eventual wipe of progress when it moves to the next stage of testing and there are regular updates with fixes etc.

I've had it for 3 days and only had one game crash so it's running pretty stable. FPS on my 2 year old PC is a steady 60 fps so it's not graphically demanding but still looks great. Very spacey.

It is harder to play with mouse/keyboard. Not impossible as I did find a good set of keybinds on the forums that allowed me to fight with that. After switching to a joystick though it became a lot easier to play and combat was significantly easier, although still challenging in my weak little starter ship.

For stuff to keep you busy you have trading goods between systems which is a steady way to make money (but watch out for pirates). You have bounty hunting where you cruise around looking for unidentified signals or hang out at a beacon and pick off people who are wanted. You can turn pirate and hunt down anything that moves. Because the combat system allows you to target subsystems on a ship you can blow off a ships cargo hold and steal the goods that tumble out into space then run them back to a pirate station to sell on the black market.

You can also get involved in an ongoing conflict between two factions. One is the system you start in an the other is the Federation. To do this you fly to a planet and find a conflict, pick a faction and then jump in and start killing. I found this today and it makes a lot of credits really quickly and is good to teach you the dogfighting skills you need.

The goal of the game (like all Elite games) is to make money and buy better ships and better weapons and work towards a ranking of Elite. So far I'm still working on the making money part and have 23K credits to my name and looking longingly at a ship that costs 6 million.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

Playing a bit, and enjoying. Took my time with the scenarios at the start to learn the moves. I'm using the speedlink blackwidow which isn't too bad. Still trying to figure out the controls etc and what to do. Considering I dropped 60/70 euro on food and booze last night, in three hours, the price tag for the game isn't that expensive.
  • alx12345alx12345 Member Posts: 39

The game will cost 50-60$ on release, beta+game is 75$, so you pay 15-25$ to play the beta.

Though there isnt much to do right now, and combat reward useless penny, only trading is worth right now. And mining should be released quite soon.

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by alx12345

The game will cost 50-60$ on release, beta+game is 75$, so you pay 15-25$ to play the beta.

Though there isnt much to do right now, and combat reward useless penny, only trading is worth right now. And mining should be released quite soon.

You don't pay to play. You support Frontier and as a reward for doing that You are getting access to early stage of developement.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Im not sure I get it.  Are you asking if the game is worth 60 Euros to you? or are asking if it is worth it to someone else?

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by pappacube

There's no tutorial at the moment and I was as lost as you when I first logged in. I didn't have a clue as to what Iwas supposed to be doing. It was only after I discovered lots of player made videos on YouTube that everything started to make sense. I'd advise watching them before you try anything yourself.

The second problem is learning the controls. I had to learn them by noting what the videos said you had to do and then looking in the Control options to see how to do it. It was a steep learning curve but not that difficult once I realised the basic principle of using the main menu system. Buttons 1 and 4 lead you to most of the menus you need to use in the ship. Plus you have a few hot key short cuts (It really needs more).  In the space station you get a completely different menu which you can navigate by KB or mouse.

It's not anywhere near being a complete game yet. Well, I hope it isn't. It's fun but you're basically just testing the trading system or combat, The two things don't really mix though as the best ships for trading perform badly in combat and you lose your ship and all cargo if you lose an encounter. If you retained enough money as insurance, you can buy your ship back but the cargo is gone.

You have the choice of playing in solo mode or on the open server. Because of the high risk of trading on the open server most people trading are playing solo at the moment and the people who want PvE and PvP combat are playing on the open server.  I don't see this as desirable but I can't really see how you're ever going to get everyone playing together on the open server unless there is some form of flagging for the people who don't want to get involved in PvP. If everyone was forced to pay together without that I think the game would die a quick death. I played PotBS at launch and that's what happened to that game when the traders in their slow and virtually unarmed merchant ships were forced to sail through PVP zone (The red circle) to reach their destination. This game is like PotBS in space so potentially faces the same problems of mixing PvE and PvP without one side being negatively impacted.

Is it  worth 60 Euros? Yes if you like space sims. You'll be able to play for months without needing to spend anything extra and will be able to get a feel for the game.