Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about crafting

Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Hi,

well i played the russian beta till lv 18, but im still not sure. I know that you must specialize in the crafting, since its quite LP consuming. I would like to craft my own weapons, my own gear and my boat. Can you do all these three? Or is it better to let someone craft your boat for you. Is it even possible to craft your own gear + weapon at least?

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Zarkin86

Hi,

well i played the russian beta till lv 18, but im still not sure. I know that you must specialize in the crafting, since its quite LP consuming. I would like to craft my own weapons, my own gear and my boat. Can you do all these three? Or is it better to let someone craft your boat for you. Is it even possible to craft your own gear + weapon at least?

Well, at that low of level it is hard to craft anything of your own. At lvl 20 you get a quest to craft armor - it takes 600 LP and if you are a F2P player, you would have to stay online 10 hours just to get the LP to craft them. If you paid for a Founders pack, it would be less than 1/2 the time. I think you could craft armor and weapons, since the best items in game are crafted.

As far as having someone else craft a boat for you, I think the amount of gold needed to buy it, in game, would be super high.

• phoenixxusphoenixxus Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I am normally a self sufficient crafter but archeage makes it next to impossible to do .  It can be done but you must understand archeage is built around interdependence between crafts. you will not have enough labor and time to keep all your crafts up on level. you can get 5 skills  to 10000 which will let you make up to level 40 gear at that you can only take 4 up to 20k and so on. also the cost of rare material is high. If you are doing heavy armor and weapons should be too bad as both used same resources. if you are doing leather or light armors it will be harder as you will need to grow most from farms turkeys for leather is the cheapest and cotton for fabrics. 
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Boats aren't part of the crafting part of the game really. You simply go to Mirage Isle and buy the plans with Gilda Stars and make your own. You can also buy the plans off other players for gold after they've used their Gilda Stars to buy the plans themselves.

Boats are bound so you can't buy the completed article. You could place the drydock and get others to add the resources to build it I suppose and save labor that way but normally you just do that yourself.

Other crafting can be very expensive so you need to be higher level/richer to make quality items.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Hi,

Its possible, but AA is not a very solo player friendly game. You do get the lvl 20 quest to craft your first set of purple gear. That gives you an idea of how to craft, and manage your LP

The boat will take more time and resources. Managing your LP is the biggest part. Getting the blueprint  is 50 gilda stars, the gathering of the materials will be the least of your problems. also remember you need to build the Drydock.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by botrytis

...- If you paid for a Founders pack, it would be less than 1/2 the time. ...

No need to pay for founder pack, just pay the monthly fee when game release (patron status).

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Jabas

No need to pay for founder pack, just pay the monthly fee when game release (patron status).

Well it is the same to me. Subbing to a F2P game to get special treatment makes it a P2W type of scenario. This is my opinion and many other people as well. If LP was standardized across the different types of accounts, that would be different. LP is one the basic parts of the game as you use LP to open items, ID items, craft, etc.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Well it is the same to me. Subbing to a F2P game to get special treatment makes it a P2W type of scenario. This is my opinion and many other people as well. If LP was standardized across the different types of accounts, that would be different. LP is one the basic parts of the game as you use LP to open items, ID items, craft, etc.

Subbing to a F2P is getting special treatment.

I also want special GMs and staff support for patron.

Different chat channels  to chat in, just for Patrons. At the very least, non-patrons should be limited to how much they can talk. Lets say one message every 5 minutes.

And, when taking a coach or an airship. Patrons should get the best seating.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Have no idea why are you answer this way, honest. I was just try to to say that to be patron in game is no need to buy a founder pack, there is other option. Was just trying to complete your info.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

You can also get Patron with ingame currency, buying it from the Auction House, or even better from a guildy for a small fee. There is never a reason to spend real money in the game, and thus it is not even close to Pay to Win. Of course others disagree, but theres a million threads about it, and this isnt the place for that discussion.

As to the OP and the thread, it is very possible to do what you asked. Any 2 crafts would be fine, and in fact, you can only specialize in 2 at the very top tier. Making your own boat is not crafting related, as in there is no proficiency for it, but you still need to spend a large amount of labor. Of course, again, you can buy labor from other people for ingame currency, or have friends and guildmates help out. You can then still use all your personal labor for your armor and weaponsmithing needs. 

Honestly, this is a very intuitive system. The more effort you put into it, the more you get out of it. There is nothing to stop you from doing anything you want, and theres no reason to even stop at just 2 crafts if you dont want to. Try them all, experiment alittle and Im sure you will see they are all fun.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Sounds to me like AA reflects real life ,,,, I'm going to go with the P2P option , the same one I have to use in real life

F2P in the real world came to an end in the post hippy era ....When someone came up with the equation

NO CASH = no gas + no grass and no ass

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Crafting in this game is very complicated... overly complicated. Your own boat doesn't really count as a crafting task, but requires gold and LP.

As for crafting... you better get ready to spend massive amounts of time and frustration on the mundane things like alchemy and tinkering... and don't forget farming. Every craft is interconnected with another craft. If you drew it out in a diagram it would be a tangled mess of a spider web! An item that could take relatively little skill to craft in one area, may require another item that takes 10,000 points in another skill (*ahem* Farmer's Workbench... or whatever that's called).

The other problem...

I have huge amounts of stone wood and iron stockpiled that I can't do anything with because there are no really "simple" recipes you can craft. There are currently 50 levels in the game and the lowest level gear you can craft is level 20. The major drawback to any kind of weapon or armorsmithing though is Archeum. You need to break down other items to collect this "magic powder" to create new items. Many items give you some smaller pieces, then you combine... I think it's 5 of those to get 1 dust. Most craftable items require 2+ piles of dust. The only place to get the items to breakdown are from quests, which are limited, or lucky, 1 in a million random drops.

So as far as weapon and armor crafting goes, the population is pretty much at a standstill.

Check the AH if you're in Beta and two of the rarest things to see listed are player-crafted gear.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Was UO a F2P game? Was SWG a F2P game? Was DAoC a F2P game? Was WoW, when it came out, a F2P game? People had no problems putting down $40-$50 for those and then paying another $15 per month to play when those games came out. AA has the same standards and the same quality as those games did - it's a AAA title, highly polished and well-thought out. 

Quit acting like an entitled prick and fork out money for something that's worth the money. Or wallow in your F2P anguish but keep your mouth shut since you get what you pay for.

The Video Games industry has been doing business like this since Pong. It wasn't until recently they started giving out free samples and then had people bitch about not getting ALL OF IT for free.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Lerxst

Was UO a F2P game? Was SWG a F2P game? Was DAoC a F2P game? Was WoW, when it came out, a F2P game? People had no problems putting down $40-$50 for those and then paying another $15 per month to play when those games came out. AA has the same standards and the same quality as those games did - it's a AAA title, highly polished and well-thought out. 

Quit acting like an entitled prick and fork out money for something that's worth the money. Or wallow in your F2P anguish but keep your mouth shut since you get what you pay for.

The Video Games industry has been doing business like this since Pong. It wasn't until recently they started giving out free samples and then had people bitch about not getting ALL OF IT for free.

In my view its totally fair to create a system that provides access for players who are still on the fence about a game. However the way AA has done it I am not a fan for two reasons.

1. its confusing

2. it rewards mob killing over crafting.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Why should F2P not have disadvantages? Paying for premium service should allow some advantage over not. Otherwise there's no point in paying, games can't live off charging nothing. I'm not a huge fan of most F2P systems, hence why i sub if I have the option. Yet I don't see why people wouldn't expect such division between patron and free status.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Distopia

Why should F2P not have disadvantages? Paying for premium service should allow some advantage over not. Otherwise there's no point in paying, games can't live off charging nothing. I'm not a huge fan of most F2P systems, hence why i sub if I have the option. Yet I don't see why people wouldn't expect such division between patron and free status.

The bottom line is really that most people would prefer not to pay if they don't have to, so they try every conceivable argument under the sun to justify why they shouldn't have to pay.

The most overused argument in the arsenal is that "LoL is totally free and it makes millions of dollars", therefore all games should "use the LoL model" and only sell "optional cosmetics that any serious player can safely ignore". Yeah riiight, all games should become MOBA's now ?

The second most popular argument is that games "cannot survive without the F2P players", hence the deal must be made as sweet as possible to ensure that the F2P players don't leave. Taken to its ultimate conclusion, F2P players will eventually demand a share of the game's profits, because without them there wouldn't be enough players for the game to survive.

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by Lerxst

Crafting in this game is very complicated... overly complicated. Your own boat doesn't really count as a crafting task, but requires gold and LP.

As for crafting... you better get ready to spend massive amounts of time and frustration on the mundane things like alchemy and tinkering... and don't forget farming. Every craft is interconnected with another craft. If you drew it out in a diagram it would be a tangled mess of a spider web! An item that could take relatively little skill to craft in one area, may require another item that takes 10,000 points in another skill (*ahem* Farmer's Workbench... or whatever that's called).

The other problem...

I have huge amounts of stone wood and iron stockpiled that I can't do anything with because there are no really "simple" recipes you can craft. There are currently 50 levels in the game and the lowest level gear you can craft is level 20. The major drawback to any kind of weapon or armorsmithing though is Archeum. You need to break down other items to collect this "magic powder" to create new items. Many items give you some smaller pieces, then you combine... I think it's 5 of those to get 1 dust. Most craftable items require 2+ piles of dust. The only place to get the items to breakdown are from quests, which are limited, or lucky, 1 in a million random drops.

So as far as weapon and armor crafting goes, the population is pretty much at a standstill.

Check the AH if you're in Beta and two of the rarest things to see listed are player-crafted gear.

Thanks for explaining, but one thing isnt clear to me. I thought the best gear in AA is through crafting. I thought people would craft massively. How do people then obtain power in AA? Like combat power? I really thought people would craft much. So you cant get archeum through mob drops (very rare).  Is enough gear dropping to support crafting? os is it a really rare source?