Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your all time top 10 MMO list

13»

Comments

• eqravenprinceeqravenprince Member Posts: 13

1. EQ before expansions.  This was the pinnacle of MMO's.  Grouping was the norm.  After level 20, you mostly had to group in dungeons to go from level 20-50.  There were a few high level outdoor zones.  Live player bazaar's formed and what's great is where it formed was different on different servers.  Sometimes it was in East Commonlands, sometimes in North Freeport, sometimes in Greater Faydark.  Every NPC was fair game, people hunted guards in cities.  You mostly had to run by foot to get places, world seemed huge.  Items were unique and didn't have +stats to every attribute like you see in WoW and other games.  And there really wasn't too much in the way of raiding which appeals to me.  Seems like these days, everyone only wants to raid at end game.  I have the most amount of fun in single groups and this game had that.

2. EQ up to Velious Expansion.  It was better than Kunark and had the best dungeon ever in Crystal Caverns.  The three main faction lines added to this expansion of dragon, giant and dwarfs was done very well.

3.  EQ up to Kunark Expansion.  Didn't care for Iksar race or most of the boring outdoor zones that most people leveled in.

4.  City of Heroes - I am surprised this didn't make more peoples top 10, but then again maybe a lot of people didn't actually try it.  I loved this game, I was very sad when it shut down.  It was my absolute favorite casual MMO.

5.  EQ2 - I didn't really play this nearly as much as EQ or City of Heroes, but still had fun no less.

6.  Vanguard - could have been at the top of my list had it not been so damn buggy at release.

7.  EQ up to Planes of Power expansion.  I did enjoy being able to teleport all around the world so quickly, but it's like playing a game on cheat mode.  It's fun at first, but loses it's luster quickly.  Plus you really do lose a lot of what immerses you into the world which in this case was traveling by foot or talking to other players to get a port.

8.  EQ up to Luclin expansion.  I enjoyed being able to much more easily buy all the gear I needed in the Bazaar.  But like my point above, it's like playing a game on cheat mode.  It's fun at first, but loses it's luster quickly.   You lose that immersion from a live player bazaar that it use to be.

9.  EQ up to Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion - I actually enjoyed having instanced dungeons.  It was rather frustrating when I would form a group in original EQ and we'd go to SolB, all camped.  We'd go to Lguk, all camped.  This was a nice expansion to allow a group to have guaranteed content.

10.  EQ up to whatever expansion that added Mercs - it was fun to revisit EQ after many years being away and trounce through all my old stomping grounds.  While levels 1-60 are mostly a solo game now, still kind of fun defeating things that use to take an entire group back in the day.  Plus I got to visit some places that I could never get to because it was damn hard to get a group to go to certain dungeons. 

Yes, I like EQ, and no I haven't played every single MMO out there.  But, I've played EQ, EQ2, CoH, Vanguard, Dark Age of Camelot, Lord of the Rings, Guild Wars, Aoin, and WoW.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    There aren't even enough good MMO's to make a top 5 list, let alone 10
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by eqravenprince

1. EQ before expansions.  This was the pinnacle of MMO's.  Grouping was the norm.  After level 20, you mostly had to group in dungeons to go from level 20-50.  There were a few high level outdoor zones.  Live player bazaar's formed and what's great is where it formed was different on different servers.  Sometimes it was in East Commonlands, sometimes in North Freeport, sometimes in Greater Faydark.  Every NPC was fair game, people hunted guards in cities.  You mostly had to run by foot to get places, world seemed huge.  Items were unique and didn't have +stats to every attribute like you see in WoW and other games.  And there really wasn't too much in the way of raiding which appeals to me.  Seems like these days, everyone only wants to raid at end game.  I have the most amount of fun in single groups and this game had that.

2. EQ up to Velious Expansion.  It was better than Kunark and had the best dungeon ever in Crystal Caverns.  The three main faction lines added to this expansion of dragon, giant and dwarfs was done very well.

3.  EQ up to Kunark Expansion.  Didn't care for Iksar race or most of the boring outdoor zones that most people leveled in.

4.  City of Heroes - I am surprised this didn't make more peoples top 10, but then again maybe a lot of people didn't actually try it.  I loved this game, I was very sad when it shut down.  It was my absolute favorite casual MMO.

5.  EQ2 - I didn't really play this nearly as much as EQ or City of Heroes, but still had fun no less.

6.  Vanguard - could have been at the top of my list had it not been so damn buggy at release.

7.  EQ up to Planes of Power expansion.  I did enjoy being able to teleport all around the world so quickly, but it's like playing a game on cheat mode.  It's fun at first, but loses it's luster quickly.  Plus you really do lose a lot of what immerses you into the world which in this case was traveling by foot or talking to other players to get a port.

8.  EQ up to Luclin expansion.  I enjoyed being able to much more easily buy all the gear I needed in the Bazaar.  But like my point above, it's like playing a game on cheat mode.  It's fun at first, but loses it's luster quickly.   You lose that immersion from a live player bazaar that it use to be.

9.  EQ up to Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion - I actually enjoyed having instanced dungeons.  It was rather frustrating when I would form a group in original EQ and we'd go to SolB, all camped.  We'd go to Lguk, all camped.  This was a nice expansion to allow a group to have guaranteed content.

10.  EQ up to whatever expansion that added Mercs - it was fun to revisit EQ after many years being away and trounce through all my old stomping grounds.  While levels 1-60 are mostly a solo game now, still kind of fun defeating things that use to take an entire group back in the day.  Plus I got to visit some places that I could never get to because it was damn hard to get a group to go to certain dungeons. 

Yes, I like EQ, and no I haven't played every single MMO out there.  But, I've played EQ, EQ2, CoH, Vanguard, Dark Age of Camelot, Lord of the Rings, Guild Wars, Aoin, and WoW.

Good point.  Many similar views regarding EQ, some different, since I did like the Iksar race lol.

For me going from original to the future kind of fit right in but I still do miss some of the (up or downsides to traveling) by foot and waiting for the boat.  I remember my first character was a high elf and me and two of my friends in game decided to make our way to oasis of marr, was an all night event trying to travel without maps and navigate the area safely.  

I started EQ when I was 9 years old, so my play time was very limited, so going through to about level 20 was great because you did not really need a well structured group, you could get by.  By the time I got to that level (still way behind a lot of people) I was able to play more and could actually wait for groups, form groups and progress further.  Then Luclin came out, I was maybe high lvl 30s, so the old zones were still popular as well as the new zones (although I did not go them for some time)  I stayed in Highkeep and dreadlands for awhile and eventually moved to KC.

Now at this point still pre-PoP I started getting into some of the raids: nagafen, vox, AoW etc.  By the time PoP came out I finally got into working through luclin towards VT, I finally made it to PoP about the time GoD came out.  

Then I created  new characters, and of course leveling went much faster.  I finally got my first character to complete PoTime killing Quarm shortly before OOW came out.  

From this point on I began raiding GoD and current raids until the day I quit.

I have tried to go back and it is fun, but what made the game the most enjoyable was leveling up with other people.  

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

1. Anarchy Online

2. Everquest 2

3. World of warcraft

4. Guild wars

5. Star wars the old republic

6; Star wars galaxies

7. Warhammer Online

8. Eve Online

9. Star trek online

10. Rift

• kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

1) WoW -the god of mmorpg games - The first year in wow gave me the best gaming and social experince i ever had in a game, not to mention strong friendships and alot of stories that i still love telling today 10~ years after!.
    2) Gw2 - The only game i managed to play more then a few monthes after wow , met really great people and we enjoyed the gameplay and the rest of it togheter, sadly this time we didnt keep in contact after quiting, but this game was my best investment with 60$ box price for 3k+ hours.
    3) As number 3 i can put pretty much all the rest because nothing kept me going more then 2-3 monthes at best, final fantasy , swtor , lotro, ddo , Rift , levled up done endgame done casual stuff and enjoyed them for a while , Decent games that definatly worth trying!
    For conclusion i can say one thing , i think that the social aspect of the game people play is one of the the must importent reasons for staying longer then a month or two in a game ( more then expensions, updates etc ), it feels to me that it was lost somewhere along the way and the focus now goes more for easy cash grab.
    There is a reason why vanilla wow was a legend and ppl kept playin it for long, it had very strong social aspect in it, no robots to do everything for you but u interact with the players , back then people knew each other both alliance and horde , every task needed u to interact with others , and i not talking about robotic tools to "help" u gather a party for something or teleport u somewhere i can talk about it for many pages but i will end it here by saying bring back the magical feeling vanilla wow gave to so many people people will learn to love it again i am very sure.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

1. Fallen Earth

2. World of Warcraft

3. GW2

4. Tera

4. Warhammer Online

5. Tabula Rasa

6. Rift

The rest isn't worth mentioning.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

1. Runescape - played on and off from 2001 to 2013, until they butchered the graphics with RS3.

2. Wurm Online - essentially EVE in fantasy setting, I love this game

3. Helbreath - Both this and DR had awesome PvP back in the day.

4. Dragon Raja

5. TSW ( I have 150 days of ingame time, so an average of 5 hours a day since launch, not playing atm)

6. Runes of magic

7. Dark Eden - an interesting vampire vs humans game, very unique in many ways. I don't even know if it's still running, I played years ago.

8. I'll list SWG here as an honorable mention, since I regret that I didn't play this game before it got shut down. Judging by videos on YT, this game was just pure awesome.

9. DayZ - It had it's moments, but at the end of the day it's just a gankfest on most servers.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

1 Gw2   World vs World vs World

2 World of Warcraft   Battlegrounds

3 DAOC   Realm vs Realm

4 Warhammer   Realm vs Realm

What I like, fighting open field with small or large groups.

What I don't like, leveling or PVE raids where people are too serious about something that is supposed to be FUN!

Hence the above list.

• lolnik1lolnik1 Member Posts: 5

1. Tibia

2. Runescape

3. Wurm online

• 1. DAoC (pre-ToA)

2. EQ2

3. Vanguard

4. CoH

5. LotRO

6. WoW

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

My Top mmo list, in no particular order:

- GW2

- GW1

- WoW

- FFXIV

Not enough to have a top 10 lol

Honorable mentions. Mmos that i like but for any strong reason failed to reach my favorite list:

- AoC

- TSW

- DCUO

- Path of Exile

- Marvel Heroes

- ESO

I also like many other mmos that are not on this list, but are not worth mentioning because the flaws are too big a deal for me to play them. So i rather skip them entirely.