Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE online is losing players, many lost in past year

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    I left EVE a few months back. I bought Perpetuum when it was released on steam. I have not regretted it. No more subs, plex, for  me. Besides, being on a world that evolves is much more fun than in space. WASD controls even better! Why play EVE when I can play almost the same thing on the ground. With no sub fee EVER!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by crasset15

This game hasn't progressed as much as expected in the amount of time it has been out. What it comes down to is basically it's getting stale and people just move on.

Okay so they started as a game where you fly with spaceships, allright cool, but why do you have to keep beating that same dead horse for 10 years?

For me personally, this is what I would expect from a space game that has been out so long:

- direct input flying with WASD similar to a plane, instead of point and click.

- less warp gating, more direct interaction with environment. The current game feels like I'm a spectator, not a player.

- the ability to travel to planets and explore (a small segment of) them on foot.

A common misconception, even the smallest of ships you pilot in EVE are the size of destroyer, the largest equivalents of floating cities, you don't steer them with a joystick.  Think of EVE ships combat as compared to naval ship combat and you'll understand better why the controls are like they are.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Why doesnt EVE adopt a easier interface with ship contro?l. WASD is much better. Besides, in Perpetuum there is "COVER".  As more and more players of EVE realize that this game is too expensive. You will see players leave, except for old vets who never pay anyways. Besides WASD is much more fun!!

Why pay month to month when you can pay once and own the world version of EVE!

• FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139

There's nothing else in the market like EVE.  I'm not sure where the players are going unless they are quitting the genre entirely.

Originally posted by Fingz

There's nothing else in the market like EVE.  I'm not sure where the players are going unless they are quitting the genre entirely.

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Main  and http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/438/view/forums/thread/419109/Why-I-play-Perpetuum-instead-of-EVE.html

Nuff said

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Why doesnt EVE adopt a easier interface with ship contro?l. WASD is much better. Besides, in Perpetuum there is "COVER".  As more and more players of EVE realize that this game is too expensive. You will see players leave, except for old vets who never pay anyways. Besides WASD is much more fun!!

I would agree with this in principle if I had not stopped playing Perpetuum because the combat wasn't enough like the Mechwarrior games I used to play.  This is obviously a personal preference, but honestly I would have preferred any sort of action based combat to the tab-target combat in Perpetuum.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

lol, you tab-target in Eve... :-)
  • CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

EVE won't die in our lifetime, simple as that.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Main  and http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/438/view/forums/thread/419109/Why-I-play-Perpetuum-instead-of-EVE.html

Nuff said

All I see is a lot of opinions. And we all have them, believe me. 

I've tried perpetuum and to me it was like a cheap copy of EvE. And that's my opinion.

'Nuff said'

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by megarax

Nuff said

All I see is a lot of opinions. And we all have them, believe me. 

I've tried perpetuum and to me it was like a cheap copy of EvE. And that's my opinion.

'Nuff said'

It is a 'cheap' knock off, of Eve, or was, i think the game is actually closed now, or if not, may as well be image

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Why have people suddenly got such a hard on for hating on eve?

A lot of the hate comes from the EvE community's reputation - whether it's fairly earned or not. I've heard this game is Mos Eisley. "EvE Online - you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Maybe it's not everyone, but a few too many giving yall a very bad name.

While that's a good reason to dislike a game, the main reason I'm never going to play is the sheer inability to catch-up to players who've been playing for years. 

In another words: as fun as the prospect of being canon fodder for months (or YEARS if I don't specialize) within the worst gaming community in MMO history sounds... I think I'll pass. 

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136

I dropped 5 accounts i played and payed with PLEX due to the horrid price.

Only have 1 sub left atm.

Eve Online unlike other mmo's have HUGE amount of alt accounts and most are only activated with big wars.

These are super and titan pilots mostly.

There might be 1 big battle left to fight......CFC vs N3/PL - winter is comming.

I hope so at least <3

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

Simply because WASD does not work in free space. It works for ground combat where the Z-axis is dictated by ground level.

Any space/flight game needs more thant WASD for acceptable control. Also EVE is not a sim.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by umcorian

A lot of the hate comes from the EvE community's reputation - whether it's fairly earned or not. I've heard this game is Mos Eisley. "EvE Online - you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

While that's a good reason to dislike a game, the main reason I'm never going to play is the sheer inability to catch-up to players who've been playing for years. 

In another words: as fun as the prospect of being canon fodder for months (or YEARS if I don't specialize) within the worst gaming community in MMO history sounds... I think I'll pass. 

And another one who thinks that you need 104578345793487 skill points to do fun stuff. But hey, it's your loss.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

And another one who thinks that you need 104578345793487 skill points to do fun stuff. But hey, it's your loss.

Rather than unsupported, hanging statements... why don't you enlighten me as to all these amazing opportunities readily accessible to newbies in the EvE game that it's my loss I don't get to partake in?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

They need to do something big to shake up the alliances as reignite the war(s) - but if they piss off the big alliance players and they leave, there will be no game.

They are stuck.

• RecklanRecklan Member UncommonPosts: 31

I just resubbed to Eve a month ago and then just paid for 6 months. I love the game. I love the controls, I love the interface, I love the community. I really enjoy the "Irish Pub" type of attitude we all have. We beat the snot out of each other and gf after that. The game isn't a solo game. It's a real MMO, you must play with other people to enjoy it. You must make friends and fleet up with them. 

Regarding the population, I think the price of plex and the ability to train multiple characters on one account has effected the numbers a bit. I know a lot of players who have 2 - 6 accounts and have decided to cancel their alt or dwindle their characters to two or three accounts. The game isn't dying and it won't die for a long time. All is good.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

too much misunderstanding  about  , Eve, here ,I am EVE player,& have no idea what about some peoples talking

I am played game when in weekends night  was 6k players online,and it was great,I remember when ccp proudly talk about 50k subs ...  i playing pvp with 10 mil skill point  character & have fun & no limitations compared with 10 years old characters and 100 mil sp, i playing PvE with 50 mil sp character (only doing pve with this character,just dont wish to have pvp records with main high skilled char,but sometimes  in low sec system was blow up by pirates,it was my bad)

Eve is different game , you must learn to play & forget all what you learn in other mmo's

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

I love how clever and witty people think they are when they say thing like "I don't want to be fodder for someone else for months on end.", when honestly within the first 24 hours if you look around for a good corp (good being the ones that arent based in high sec and advertise for EVERY activity. Those corps generally don't do anything at all.) you can be learning how to make isk and what to train for. Or you can be learning the basics of pvp from the vets that people seem to think just want to kick the crap out of them. 

I won't lie though, the new player experience is pretty shit. All it teaches people how to do is missions and so they don't think to reach out to corps that might interest them. They don't even teach you how to open up the corp window to search for corps, or to go to the forums and look through the corp recruitment posts. It's amazingly stupid since EVE is a game that you just can not play solo. 

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

i respect CCP alot...

they managed to go from very nichy.. to a major company by listening to their customers and updating the game accordenly..

To bad eve is getting to old and other companies are trying this path aswell..( sandbox path)

I never could get past  the spreadsheet combat in eve.. im more into action.. but i think eve is still a great game..

what i dont understand is that they:

- made a shooter

- cancceled world of darkness. 

Those were bad decisions by  the company... they need to go back to the roots and make a new game again

CCP has alot of followers.. CCP knows how to make sandbox..

MAKE IT HAPPEN CCP!!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't think Eve losing some players is worth losing any sleep for, the game have been running for a long time and most of the time with far less players.

CCPs strange decision to make Dust and can WoDO is far worse for the company, WoDO had a great potential and many ideas that might have made it far greater than Eve. 

But sure, CCP do need to put their focus on Eve to make it the best game it can be. I don't see Dust bringing in large sums of cash and it doesn't seem like they will have any other good ways of income except on White wolf books so getting more subs on Eve is important if the company want to start growing again.

Rather than unsupported, hanging statements... why don't you enlighten me as to all these amazing opportunities readily accessible to newbies in the EvE game that it's my loss I don't get to partake in?

First, you do understand that you are an EVE noob for at least 6 months and people might argue that continues for a year or more.  EVE is a game for the patient.

But in the early going you can take up careers in mission running, mining, industry, join red vs blue, participate in the faction wars, fight in war decs, live in 0.0, take up a career in exploration just to name a few, and most of them you can do right in the month.

Sure, you won't be running incursions, or ratting in high level wormholes, or flying capital ships any time soon, but in the first year you'll experience almost everything EVE has to offer, and if you continue your career in EVE, you'll get to do pretty much all of it.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    As you know, missioning is dull beyond belief after 3 months, mining is all about having good enough skill points that it feels worthwhile, and industry has no real profit for new players. If you like pvp however eve is awesome. If you obly want pve, don't go near the game, there are no long term goals beyond learning how to mitigate pvp and fanking and tolerating griefing.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

I'm primarily mission runner at heart, but run incursions, wormholes and now mine. PvP is a small side bar for me and I've enjoyed playing EVEs Pve for many years. Different strokes and all that I guess.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Because its sub numbers rose higher than just about every other non WoW MMO, which threatens those who want to pretend themeparks are the most profitable and viable game design.