Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A list of "must haves" for MMO roleplay.

Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I'd like us to generate a list of features in MMOs that we could say are "bare minimums" we as roleplayers need to roleplay well.  I'll go first:

Chat Bubbles in spatial.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    A walk toggle. :P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

will you update your original post to compile the "list" ?

Chat bubbles, walk toggle, 

And I add; /emote macros that are tied to key-words in chat, for immersive animations.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Perhaps at some point, fardreamer.

Basically, I want a list we can show to developers or to copy on threads that talk about features we'd like in our games.  Because as recent games have shown us, unless we lobby for features to get put in, we may lose them.

--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• nineightninesnineightnines Member Posts: 5
    Add-ons (such as DPS meters or whatnot) built in to the game interface itself, but not enabled by default. I mean, we keep looking for 'em in every game we play seriously and that allows them, why not just build em in?
  • Ariel_ArilonAriel_Arilon Member UncommonPosts: 50

Check out my blog.

Entry titled "Stripping for Game Developers, Parts 1 & 2.

; )

My computer beats me in Strip Poker, but doesn't stand a chance against my Kick Boxing! >: D 3

Originally posted by Ariel_Arilon

Check out my blog.

Entry titled "Stripping for Game Developers, Parts 1 & 2.

; )

LOL, I read the part about the sign . Sounds like someone played Neverwinter Nights. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Leveling xp based on role-play. In SWG there were dancer terminals that gave out dancing jobs, same for bounty hunters, and factions.  Player made role-play quests.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Dancing

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

The first fundamental feature I'd like to see in a RPG is a means for players to vote.  Votes could be used to elect guild leaders, judge crafting contests, city officials.  Votes can be 'open', meaning that every character can vote once, limited (only select characters can vote -- guild members, players attending a festival, members of the secret Council of Mages), or weighted (as open, but votes 'cost' something (money, wolf pelts, etc.) and players can vote more than once).   The ability for players to assign new elections would help develop content.

A second feature I'd like to see is a way to 'evaluate' something in game based on a character's (possibly hidden) 'values'.  Being able to judge esthetic value in a vase or painting and evaluating 'live' performances would really open up crafting by allowing semi-objective competitions.  Additionally, a players appearance could be 'evaluated' to establish social standards for dress.  (You don't wear your grotty everyday armor to the Queen's birthday celebration).

Between these two features (systems), they could provide the most important thing for fostering role-playing, a reason to role-play within the game.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by nineightnines
    Add-ons (such as DPS meters or whatnot) built in to the game interface itself, but not enabled by default. I mean, we keep looking for 'em in every game we play seriously and that allows them, why not just build em in?

DPS meters???

That is a bit Meta for an RPG imo.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

My requirements:

Able to sit in chairs and lay in beds (I'm done with tavern RP where everyone is standing next to a table and pretend they're sitting).

Chat bubble option  for those who RP in large crowds for better management and -- for some -- more immersion.

In game profile or "tag" the show that you're a Role Player so that others will approach you (or the ability to create addons that would make this an option).

Immersive expressions and idle animations -- something that FFXIV keeps on doing with every patch is adding new emotes, many being "persistent" emotes whereby your character idles in a different stance (that you choose) such as arms to waist, to the back of the head, legs stretched out, etc.  Also being able to change positions when sitting like in FFXIV.

Housing and marriage system are starting to be on my list, but not entirely mandatory yet.  Though housing is starting to be featured in most MMOs now as a standard, so perhaps it will be as such for any future releases of a game.

Living, breathing world (in a matter of speaking) with active looking cities and worlds.  Would be VERY impressed if NPCs in the world and in towns had their own schedules and agendas to go base on the time of day (or even week and on holidays); they could reacts to different hours as well, such as breakfast and morning (people coming out of their houses, children running out, lumberjacks and others going to work...), and the market place getting more crowded with housewives or house husbands looking to stock up and food for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Night time having kids go insides, more dangers outside the gates, and Inns / tavern being popular for towns and cities.

Would like:

Exceptional crafting system (or at least an emote that makes it look like you're doing such things as hammering an anvil or some such); a system of jobs that a character can take on.

A good in-game economy to promote merchants or the owning of shops.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ArshoonArshoon Member UncommonPosts: 71

We're a minority, no big company will ever give us what we want.

If you aren't actively part of the solution, you have no right to complain about anything.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Arshoon

We're a minority, no big company will ever give us what we want.

Are we a minority?  Probably...but we are also one of the easiest demographics to please, and the things we need to roleplay are things that:

1)  don't take away anything from anyone else.

and

2)  add functionality to the non-roleplayers among us.

--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148
    Well any suggestions might help developing a game, so give it a shot for the developers to hear it out (though its kinda impossible).
  • gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148
    As my experience, Rohan  do take any player's suggestion and filter it up for their upcoming updates. They do know to take each and every suggestion seriously, that also adds points on them taking each sides in able to attain equality through majority.
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Not sure if these are must-haves but I look for them.

non-combat/crafting stats such as:

Does a person tend to be loner or social

Clean or dirty

Fat/skinny

Nice/Mean

Rich/poor

Charitable/greedy

(yes a lot of this came from project gorgon)

Also the ability to change your little piece of the world to your liking, No i don't mean turning your house into a factory ala archeage I mean you can choose what types of furniture and other things (themes if you will) that have an effect on the surrounding area, too many things create pollution the trees will be withered, lots of dark artifacts, the sky will darken in that area.

The more unique we make the character themselves and their things in the world by our actions the more I feel people will roleplay to those ideals, people will more likely seek these roleplaying ideals out if they see an actual effect in their character

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Originally posted by fardreamer

... /emote macros that are tied to key-words in chat, for immersive animations.

What would a gold seller emote be, furtive glances and pointing to a dark alley?

• Cyren105Cyren105 Member UncommonPosts: 2

Fundamentals:

walk toggle

chat bubbles

/emote command

Things all MMO's catering to RP should have:

chairs you can actually sit in

items you can pick up for RP

Character housing with useable furniture, decorations including the basics bottles, cups, plates, etc

Taverns open to players

Job boards- give a more immersive appeal to the content in the game

Guild Halls or Community Halls

A dedicated RP server

These are just a few of things I would require in a game to seriously cater to RP.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

I'd like us to generate a list of features in MMOs that we could say are "bare minimums" we as roleplayers need to roleplay well.  I'll go first:

Chat Bubbles in spatial.

There are only two things you need.

1)  Chat:  for RP between two people.

2)  Say:  For RP between a group of people.

Those are the minimums.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Cyren105

Fundamentals:

walk toggle

chat bubbles

/emote command

Things all MMO's catering to RP should have:

chairs you can actually sit in

items you can pick up for RP

Character housing with useable furniture, decorations including the basics bottles, cups, plates, etc

Taverns open to players

Job boards- give a more immersive appeal to the content in the game

Guild Halls or Community Halls

A dedicated RP server

These are just a few of things I would require in a game to seriously cater to RP.

Sounds like Neverwinter Nights to me. 

Originally posted by DMKano

imagination and willingness on part of players is all that is needed.

We RPed in muds back in the 80s.  No reason modern gamers can't figure it out without the devs having to write code for them.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

The backbone of roleplay is in creating a robust system of tracking player decisions so not only players, but the world itself can rewards or hold players accountable for all their decisions be they good, evil or neutral in nature.  Generally this is a faction and reputation system.  Without it I find games lack depth and the immersive qualities that keep me interested.

Originally posted by Dullahan

The backbone of roleplay is in creating a robust system of tracking player decisions so not only players, but the world itself can rewards or hold players accountable for all their decisions be they good, evil or neutral in nature.  Generally this is a faction and reputation system.  Without it I find games lack depth and the immersive qualities that keep me interested.

players can do that themselves.  Rewards isn't a factor of RP.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Basically you just need a lot of players and a "say" function. There are other things that helps like emotes, guildhalls to spend time in with the guildies and so on but while those are helpful they are not must haves.

If you have npcs in the game they should not be stereotypical npcs who just stand around like in the first Diablo game either, they could at least look alive but MMOs mustn't have npcs. You can also let players run the stores and so in a MMO.

Roleplay is just something you do, props and emotes do help a bit but as long as you can talk with the other people in the world you can always roleplay.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Dullahan

players can do that themselves.  Rewards isn't a factor of RP.

The world should be conducive to roleplay, providing a setting as interactive and dynamic as possible.  Rewards or punishment are just a byproduct of a world that matters.