Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW 10 year celebration

doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

This November marks the 10-year anniversary of World of Warcraft, and we’re cooking up a few in-game plans to commemorate the occasion. Here’s a quick preview of what’s in store:

Tarren Mill vs. Southshore: The Rematch
If you engaged in PvP early on in WoW, you might have fond memories of—and perhaps a few scars from—the endless tug-of-war between Horde and Alliance players at Tarren Mill and Southshore. To recapture that feeling, we’ll be opening a Team Deathmatch–style Battleground based on that timeless struggle. However, unlike the old days of Tarren Mill vs. Southshore, there will be a clearly defined victor, so you’ll need to work as a team or face crushing defeat.

Molten Core Gets Boosted
Molten Core provided many WoW players with their first taste of WoW raiding. For the anniversary celebration, max-level players will be able to participate in a special 40-player Raid Finder version to relive the experience of hunting down Ragnaros and his minions within his fiery lair. Downing the Firelord will earn you an Achievement and a special Core Hound mount reward (fireproof leg armor not included).

Regardless of anyone's feelings towards WoW, those are pretty much some of the coolest 10 year celebration events I have so far seen in any 10 year MMO celebration. I am curious what more they have planned.

EDIT: It looks like the PVP event is 100 vs 100

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I'm almost tempted to reactivate just for the TM/SS battles. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'm in the same boat. They know how to tug a heart string. If they made Ice the tanking spec for DK's again and boosted Sunwell to max level, I'd resub again.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'm in the same boat. They know how to tug a heart string. If they made Ice the tanking spec for DK's again and boosted Sunwell to max level, I'd resub again.

Ice was never "the tanking spec for DKs", but I get the gist of what you are saying. DKs having the ability to tank in each spec based on their talent choices in WotLK was very unique. I personally miss tanking as unholy. Bone shield FTW :-)

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    This is something I can actually say I am excited for and not feel like I'm going to get burnt buying into it. Thanks Blizzard for all the great times and all that is to come. I know the game is not what it used to be, 10 years later who would expect it to be? With that said it's still pretty dang good and there are no comparisons. For the Horde!!!
  • MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Ohhh come on, this isn't for us gamers, it's to claw back subs they are bleeding, same with that silly log in to get your new bike nonsense
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Originally posted by Mpfive

Ohhh come on, this isn't for us gamers, it's to claw back subs they are bleeding, same with that silly log in to get your new bike nodisgruntled an/b>

All games are trying to bring back players, it's a take it or leave it, I think in blizzards case, what they are doing will be well received, one can embrace and enjoy and another can be disgruntled and be pessimistic, take it or leave it, I happen to feel like if you don't take it, you're missing out on something special in the world of gaming. I wish all games had the moxy to do things like this.
  • AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by doodphace

This November marks the 10-year anniversary of World of Warcraft, and we’re cooking up a few in-game plans to commemorate the occasion. Here’s a quick preview of what’s in store:

If you engaged in PvP early on in WoW, you might have fond memories of—and perhaps a few scars from—the endless tug-of-war between Horde and Alliance players at Tarren Mill and Southshore. To recapture that feeling, we’ll be opening a Team Deathmatch–style Battleground based on that timeless struggle. However, unlike the old days of Tarren Mill vs. Southshore, there will be a clearly defined victor, so you’ll need to work as a team or face crushing defeat.

Molten Core Gets Boosted
    Molten Core provided many WoW players with their first taste of WoW raiding. For the anniversary celebration, max-level players will be able to participate in a special 40-player Raid Finder version to relive the experience of hunting down Ragnaros and his minions within his fiery lair. Downing the Firelord will earn you an Achievement and a special Core Hound mount reward (fireproof leg armor not included).

Regardless of anyone's feelings towards WoW, those are pretty much some of the coolest 10 year celebration events I have so far seen in any 10 year MMO celebration. I am curious what more they have planned.

oh my, what a stament, name an mmo that ran for 10 years.... i am waiting ^^

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Ultima Online is still technically running...

Anarchy Online.

Everquest.

Eve Online

This have been a good conversation

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by tawess

Anarchy Online.

Everquest.

Eve Online

so, 4 games so far, and how many of those do still have more than one million subs?

actually i think there is one of those games which ever had more than 1 million subs ^^

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

Originally posted by Angzt

Anarchy Online.

Everquest.

Eve Online

so, 4 games so far, and how many of those do still have more than one million subs?

actually i think there is one of those games which ever had more than 1 million subs ^^

You asked... I provided... And no none of those games had much of a 10 year celebration so the post you questioned stands...

What sub numbers have to do with it... I do not really understand.

Just simply admit defeat and leave gracefully.

• IvidnaelaxIvidnaelax Member UncommonPosts: 67

Anarchy Online.

Everquest.

Eve Online

You asked... I provided... And no none of those games had much of a 10 year celebration so the post you questioned stands...

What sub numbers have to do with it... I do not really understand.

Just simply admit defeat and leave gracefully.

Let's not forget Asheron's Call, Meridian 59, runescape and several other's and Everquest II,Dark Age of Camelot, Lineage 2. 

Molten Core Gets Boosted

oh my, what a stament, name an mmo that ran for 10 years.... i am waiting ^^

Please delete your forum account...

Anarchy Online.

Everquest.

Eve Online

You went from asking for 1 game thats been around 10 years, you get presented with 4 (there are actually more than 4), and your response to that is "oh, well none of those game had over a million subs"???

Please delete your forum account.

Technically Meridian 59 actually shut down for a while. Then it was reborn.

Any way a lot of MMO like games are breaking the 10 year barrier, The genre it self could most likley be seen as old enough to get down n dirty... Now that ofc is nothing compared to most other gaming genres.. some closing in on a mid life crisis and most others are expected to have settled down and formed a family.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

MC should have been part of the 15 year celebration.

We have returned too soon.

Well i guess they felt it would have been seen as cheap to reuse Naxxramas again... =P

So ol Raggy it is.

Now personally i was sold when i saw the Corgie... =) It has all the cute and then some awwwwws.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Ohhh come on, this isn't for us gamers, it's to claw back subs they are bleeding, same with that silly log in to get your new bike nonsense

That is surely part of it but all MMOs I seen celebrate at least every 5 years since release with a party and some new gear and content, it is something worth celebrating.

Wow need to do way more if they want to get back most of the players they lost and Blizzard know it, I don't think they can succeed though with less than releasing Wow 2 but then again, I thought EQ2 would be the large one before the games released so I have been wrong before.

Originally posted by Loke666

That is surely part of it but all MMOs I seen celebrate at least every 5 years since release with a party and some new gear and content, it is something worth celebrating.

Wow need to do way more if they want to get back most of the players they lost and Blizzard know it, I don't think they can succeed though with less than releasing Wow 2 but then again, I thought EQ2 would be the large one before the games released so I have been wrong before.

WoW will never get back to 12 mil subs, but the game has been in the worst state its ever been in now for close to a year, and they STILL have just under 7 mil subs. WoW is still the big dog with nothing even remotely close to it, and will remain that way for years to come.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

If you engaged in PvP early on in WoW, you might have fond memories of—and perhaps a few scars from—the endless tug-of-war between Horde and Alliance players at Tarren Mill and Southshore. To recapture that feeling, we’ll be opening a Team Deathmatch–style Battleground based on that timeless struggle.

Oh the memories!

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Ice use to be the aura with threat add.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    this is tempting and Im about over tab target mmorpgs. But the old 40 man raids and pvp during vanilla were a lot of fun. I dont think they could get me back though without a bolstering system so you can run all the old raids and content sort of like guild wars 2 had. That way the content would still be viable and not as stale.
  • TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234

Why would Blizzard make another MMO or a WoW2? Sometimes I think it would make sense to go on evolving World of Warcraft and, as a virtual and living world, just port it to a new engine, continue with the lore and with story. It would still be World of Warcraft 2, but without branding it. In fact, they've doing this partially, tuning the engine, tweaking the game systems, implementing new textures and models...

It would be great, it would be a real living story, and maybe only Blizzard has the man power and the resource to pull something like that.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!