Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR 4th biggest Sub MMO in the world

12346»

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by Karahandras

You know, one day I will read one of these posts that is reporting some actual information.  Not something that is a year(or more) out of date and made up by a comapny that has no actual relevant data,  but you like the sound of it therefore it is real. 

The fact that all available information contradicts those numbers(including what little has been released by ea) really shouldn't bother you huh? 

Hmm all the facts contradict that SWTOR is healthy?  Hmm well why dont you just go right ahead and post those updated links that shows all this information you have that contradicts that SWTOR is healthy...I am sure we will all wait patiently while you search for those links...

Oh yeah, and haha all those websites that report on the SuperData numbers. They all must be suckers eh? To report on false data like that? xD

Gotta love all those market experts that apparently are so well informed that they can handwave away any numbers that don't suit their particular vision.

Alright, back to playing that "dying" MMO!

I know right?!?!  You would think going on FOUR YEARS people would move on with their lives, give up on bashing a video game they dont play, and accept that SWTOR is not dead, is not dying and is doing just fine.  

I just got out of a DP run, right before that was doing the Rakgoul event that was packed i believe 4 or 5 instances, ran some HM FP with a wait time of about 3 min, and if i wasnt going to hockey there were people looking for other OPS runs.  Sounds like a dying game to me lol...

But I cant wait to see the factual information they are going to bring...this should be good...or we will just be waiting forever because they are talking out of their A$$es and stuck in 2011!!  

If ignorance were bliss....

First off what's being discussed is superdata's numbers not how healthy tors population is(reading what's going on before posting would help)

http://investor.ea.com/results.cfm ea's quartely report subscriptions, advertising and other digital revenue(the relevant part) $69 mil this includes things lke battlefield premium(which if i read correctly is the biggest contributer here).  Extra content and pc f2p(which i presume is including swtor) $245 mil with ultimate team and fifa being the biggest contirbuters.  There appears to be no mention of how much tor made anywhere, but if i remember tor got an it's still there statement or are you suggesting it's too much money and they've decided they need to keep quiet about it?

There are also other companies earnings that contradict those numbers too apparently.

Additionally torstus.net tracks the server status and since there doesn't appear to be anything below light it puts the servers at effectively empty roughly 50% of the time(40% us and 60% eu(eu has an extra server too)).  They currently have a slight increase but you said there was an event going on which would account for that. 

If you want my guesstimate at population, I'd say somewhere below 100k.  This is based on tracking torstatus.net(on occasion) and the actual number of registered users f2p has brought in at 1.7mil(not the 10mil you fanboys were throwing about at the time(and still do)).  Tracing this number(1.7mil) and trying to take into account subs and those with more than one account across the period before it was released I would say put the best playerbase numbers when the servers were v.heavy-full 24/7 at 750k give or take.  Now the servers only appear to hit 1/3 that during peak times.

And, yes those website you refer to rgularly put about 'information' without checking into it's validity.  This has been gone into numerous times.

Now your turn to post links.  Please include a link to where i said to was dead or dying etc.

edit: Also as i said in another post tors number from superdata comes from around may last year I believe so remind me who's out of touch?  And btw the server trend for tor (like most mmos)is downwards incase you haven't noticed.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

What? TERA is number 3? Yeah, it is released in South Korea as well but I heard that it ain't were doing so well in either place... Guess it does better than I expected.

But I would be very surprised if Wildstar ain't larger than TOR now, maybe ESO as well. The number is based on the income for subs during 2013 so you might say that TOR was number 4 last year. Now is anybodies guess.

It is still a pretty impressive number though.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by troickt

4th?? Who cares....

EA obviously. 4th isn't all that bad in an industry with that many competitors.

And of course there's the general message that the post was conveying to the players, that the game is doing well. :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

It's a little misleading. Because it doesn't specifically say they have more subs. It just says they make the most money.

The majority of SWTOR's revenue could be in cash shop sales but because they have an optional sub they get on that list.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

It's a little misleading. Because it doesn't specifically say they have more subs. It just says they make the most money.

The majority of SWTOR's revenue could be in cash shop sales but because they have an optional sub they get on that list.

None of the other sub-based MMOs filter out their micro-transactions either, including xpacs, website sales, rmt, or any other forms of revenue generation. WoW includes video cafe revenue and counts them as subscribers, for example. It also has microtransactions on their website. I believe Lineage now has some sort of additional revenue in Korea and SEA as well. EVE has PLEX. And so the story goes.

Until game publishers post unique daily logins, hours played, actual subscription numbers, cash shop sales, and other fine-grained details, then revenue numbers, like any stat, has limitations. Those limitations apply to the entire bunch, not just one publisher/game.

Maybe having an optional sub should disqualify TOR, but then if a game takes in any other revenue than their sub then they should also be disqualified, but then no one would be on the list.

I dunno about "in the world", but Bioware has twice now (once in mid 2013, and once mid 2014) stated that SWTOR is the 2nd most played MMO in the west. Now, you can claim that they are lieing, but their definition is played, not "revenu generated".

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by doodphace

I dunno about "in the world", but Bioware has twice now (once in mid 2013, and once mid 2014) stated that SWTOR is the 2nd most played MMO in the west. Now, you can claim that they are lieing, but their definition is played, not "revenu generated".

It's like A1 Steak Sauce claiming to be the most popular brand of BBQ sauce in US, or world, or that more dentists agree that Colgate is the best, without having anything to back it up. There aren't conclusive reports that the public, much less the industry will agree on, and there's no governing body forcing you to be honest.

Every MMO can claim whatever they want, as long as it's semi-believable to someone, and of course the SWTOR players are going to fight to be the furthest up WoW's coat tails, all the while arguing that "such & such" isn't an MMO, or doesn't count, etc.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by troickt

Tbh SWTOR is on the wrong list. It's more of a single-player game than a MMO. You don't need other players.

I don't get the big deal of making a thread about being 4th placed. If it was number one, sure. 4th?? Who cares....

I dare you to do heroic 4s,  flashpoints and operation solo.  Please do and let me know how did it go.  And despite some claiming that there is no endgame in SWTOR, FPs and Operations are one of the main areas of the game. There are plenty of them... including ones in Events.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I recently logged back in after being away over a year and it is a better game.  Worth a look to be sure...

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box