Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Temp. rule changes at launch to prevent landgrabs !

SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

In the CB2 recap stream, it was mentioned that Trion may be making temporary rule changes during the launch period to stop "certain groups from taking over the world".

(watch from around 47:00 in http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/555642676)

No details were given, but whatever is being done will have to be very carefully considered, just in case it leads to a worse situation due to clever meta-gaming. Various organised groups have been planning their launch-day strategies and tactics on the Alpha/Omega servers, as well as using each CB event as a "trial-run" to refine and fine tune. Large groups can of course get things done with blinding speed if they are well organised.

Choosing a server at launch is going to be a traumatic experience, lol. Roll on a server with a few big guilds and you may find that you never get to build anything but your 8x8 scarecrow garden (or nothing if you miss headstart). Roll on a less popular server and find that it's a ghost town 2 months later... and I'd not even want to contemplate the problems around server merges in a game without instanced housing.

Comments

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    The first thing that comes to mind is limiting char creation to 1 for the duration of the 4 days headstart. Tbh not a game killer; but it surely won't change anything other then limiting inexperienced players. I'll still be able to grab my land, and so will be the big guilds. Don't give in to carebears trion, this is not such a forgiving game!
    Ok i watched the livestream and OP you misunderstood something, or i misunderstood what you meant. The limitations will be for claiming land on the north continent (one of the 3 zones where castles can be built) not land in general. Because somebody claimed all the land up north during beta.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by An4thor
    Ok i watched the livestream and OP you misunderstood something, or i misunderstood what you meant. The limitations will be for claiming land on the north continent (one of the 3 zones where castles can be built) not land in general. Because somebody claimed all the land up north during beta.

Perhaps I did misunderstand, but time will tell. The comments came after a reference to certain guilds spamming castles in CB events, but it could well apply to the game world in general too.

There was no specific mention in the actual comments referring to Auroria or castle building only. The way she was talking gave me the impression that it was being considered for the game world as a whole. It's quite feasible for a medium-sized guild to monopolize and entire housing zone.

I believe the Russian version of AA had quite a large (?) number of servers at launch, but that many of them are empty just a few moths later. Does anyone know if they had any "special rules" regarding land grabbing at launch ?

• vectrexevovectrexevo Member UncommonPosts: 167
    If the game ever gets released, then we all can rage on the forums when it happens.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    If I play this game and that is a big 'if' I am not so big on the PvP part ,I would wait to see how everything pans out and watch the official forums and here and see how the game develops and what monopoly if any exists. There is a lot of freedom which I'm happy about and I am of the opinion the limiting Labour Points is a good aspect of the game. I am not too sure how much PvE I can do and how much PvP I can stand . My cousin just left Wildstar and went back to FFXIV ARR and loving it so has asked me to come back and I also left Wildstar and I am looking at AA but still undecided. She went back to WoW for a stint  and was appalled and left. Poor thing playing a healer is rough there from what she says.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

As a founder I'll have access to the four day head start but I have already been wondering whether that will be much of an advantage at all. The problem is everyone in the head start will have patron status so land is likely to run out quickly. However, when the F2P masses get let in a few days later, I'm guessing they'll be adding some more servers and since F2P players can't own land, there is likely to be an abundance of land on those servers at least initially.

I guess I'll see how I get on in the head start and if getting land seems to be a lost cause I'll delete my characters and make a fresh start on one of the newer servers.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by ReaperUk

As a founder I'll have access to the four day head start but I have already been wondering whether that will be much of an advantage at all. The problem is everyone in the head start will have patron status so land is likely to run out quickly. However, when the F2P masses get let in a few days later, I'm guessing they'll be adding some more servers and since F2P players can't own land, there is likely to be an abundance of land on those servers at least initially.

I guess I'll see how I get on in the head start and if getting land seems to be a lost cause I'll delete my characters and make a fresh start on one of the newer servers.

Thats what im doing. Screw the headstart i need to be in with the new players:P

can take full advantage of all the knowledge youve gotten from the alpha. Ways to make a quick buck. Certain neccesitys and rare items etc.

It will be very interesting to see how many servers are opened during EA and launch, and the timings of those openings.

If they only open with a small or limited set of servers for Early Access, that would mean that a significant chunk of the Patron accounts will be focused on only those servers. F2P players may even avoid those servers on purpose, knowing they'll be at a significant disadvantage. If they then open additional servers at launch, those might end-up containing a high % of F2P players, which would lead to huge problems in the economy (shortage of certain goods, a handful of Patron accounts could monopolize the AH, etc.).

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It will be very interesting to see how many servers are opened during EA and launch, and the timings of those openings.

If they only open with a small or limited set of servers for Early Access, that would mean that a significant chunk of the Patron accounts will be focused on only those servers. F2P players may even avoid those servers on purpose, knowing they'll be at a significant disadvantage. If they then open additional servers at launch, those might end-up containing a high % of F2P players, which would lead to huge problems in the economy (shortage of certain goods, a handful of Patron accounts could monopolize the AH, etc.).

The Auction House is shared between servers. All NA servers will have one AH. All EU server will share an AH also.

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

But, but, I thought LP is the godsend solution that they came up with to control the economy and put everyone on equal footing. It's been praised and shouted from the virtual rooftops of the Alpha players for months.

----

What happened?

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

Guess I will sit this one out :(

I will continue to follow the games progression as I was/am very interested in this game.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

To many ppl are to worry with land grab making the 1st release days the most important thing about AA.

I dont participated in any race, i dont race in any way when playing a mmorpg, i want to play AA in my speed, normally slow and enjoy the game in medium/long term.

I was ready to buy the cheapest pack and have the head start but allready decide not to, in fact maybe i start playing "for real" 1 month after release, im sure i will have a better experience:

- Population is allready more stable.

- AH economy is more balance.

I will be there in 1st release day, not headstart, play slowlly and see whats gone hapened.

About land? will see how things go.

Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

But, but, I thought LP is the godsend solution that they came up with to control the economy and put everyone on equal footing. It's been praised and shouted from the virtual rooftops of the Alpha players for months.

----

What happened?

What does LP have to do with land grab at HeadStart?

Explain please.

Originally posted by Daxamar

The Auction House is shared between servers. All NA servers will have one AH. All EU server will share an AH also.

AH is shared between EU and NA too

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?24405-AH-it-is-linked-within-all-servers&p=269178&viewfull=1#post269178

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136

----

What happened?

Explain please.

It has something to do with quantum mechanics m8 !

It goes above our simple minded folks who just want to enjoy a good solid mmo.

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?24405-AH-it-is-linked-within-all-servers&p=269178&viewfull=1#post269178

I was on that post. I understood it to be Blocks. All NA, all EU server would share Auction House.

Originally posted by Demrocks

----

What happened?

Explain please.

It has something to do with quantum mechanics m8 !

It goes above our simple minded folks who just want to enjoy a good solid mmo.

Fair enough.

No, the "all NA servers" share one AH, and "all EU servers" share their own seperate AH.

If you listen to the CB2 recap stream, one of the reasons given for there being no "alpha" server for the EU was because the infrastructure for the AH servers wasn't ready at the hosting center in Amsterdam yet.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    The first thing that comes to mind is limiting char creation to 1 for the duration of the 4 days headstart. Tbh not a game killer; but it surely won't change anything other then limiting inexperienced players. I'll still be able to grab my land, and so will be the big guilds. Don't give in to carebears trion, this is not such a forgiving game!

What you don't want to do is create a game that will die in a year because the few gain and the rest suffer, then you have nothing to offer new players as well. So before you cry "carebears" maybe you should think about that a little. This game has the equal potential to be both amazing and a disaster. 

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Isn't the solution just limiting land grabs based on level / gold and rep? So sure if your level 1 you can grab a tiny area.  But in order to have a large farm or castle you cant even claim the land until end game.  And then it takes a fair amount of gold and time investment in a quest chain or notoriety grind.

That would keep someone from creating a bunch of F2P low level characters day one just to run around and grab land.  If someone or some group takes the time to not only level to end game, spend the big bucks and do the rep grind to get land then they have earned it.

You could then start applying other filters, by account., by time (how old the character is) to prevent grinding.  You could have a lottery system that goes live every week and the pool is all eligible players that have signed up.

This is just off the top of my head but there are a dozens of other things you can do to prevent all the land from being grabbed day one and keep some available for other players as time goes on.

Developers though have never been to forward thinking when it comes to exploits or social engineering.  Heck most games cant even deal with chat spam day one.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by goboygo

Isn't the solution just limiting land grabs based on level / gold and rep? So sure if your level 1 you can grab a tiny area.  But in order to have a large farm or castle you cant even claim the land until end game.  And then it takes a fair amount of gold and time investment in a quest chain or notoriety grind.

I think only possible solution is to limit viability of purchasing multiple plots, or making multiple plots seem less appealing.   

i.e.   If it costs 1k gold/month in taxes for 1 plot, then 2 plots would be 10k gold/month, or a 8x8 is 1k gold/month and a 16x8 is 10k gold/month    

However, I feel the most natural solution is to just make plots entirely FFA.   It can be destroyed, looted, and conquered.  

Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by goboygo

I think only possible solution is to limit viability of purchasing multiple plots, or making multiple plots seem less appealing.   

i.e.   If it costs 1k gold/month in taxes for 1 plot, then 2 plots would be 10k gold/month, or a 8x8 is 1k gold/month and a 16x8 is 10k gold/month    

However, I feel the most natural solution is to just make plots entirely FFA.   It can be destroyed, looted, and conquered.  

The more plots of land you own, the more taxes you need to pay. Its not linear, its exponential. You can get as many plost as you want, but the taxes will kill you. Trying to find the reddit link

http://www.reddit.com/r/archeage/comments/27y5zf/question_about_taxes/