Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this game feel like an Elder Scrolls Game Now?

Comments

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    It felt like an ES game for me. I understood it wouldn't be the same. The lore and geography goes a long way, as well as the UI. The way you talk to NPC's, the health bar, that's always been enough for me. I went to play Wildstar and couldn't stand all the busy UI and chat boxes for npcs. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Aztec
    I have not played this game since late alpha, early beta since it did not feel like an Elder Scrolls game when I played it. Has this been address and fixed? Also there were numerous other issues that did not not seem fixable to me like boss camping. What are peoples current opinions of the game in its current state? I want to know because I was thinking of trying it again. My main issue is does it feel like an Elder Scrolls Game?

To answer your question, the game play does not feel like the previous games.

One must go into this game knowing that this is an Elder Scrolls "MMO".

There's a lot of good in this game but if one was expecting Daggerfall/Morrowind/Skyrim Online then this game will never be that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

That was never the case in the good MMOs. In all the ones I played, grouping was harder and more involved, so it got more rewards, but if you didn't want to group, you could progress, just not as fast. Which is how it should be, that's basic game design and social engineering.

There's no evidence to say that people don't like grouping anymore. In fact, most themeparks these days die in record time primarily because there's no social glue in the games keeping people together.

Out of curiousity; which themepark games have died lately?

STO, Champions Online, Neverwinter, SWTOR, Rift, AoC, TESO all had their numbers PLUMMET within a month of launch. In several cases it bankrupted partner companies, forcing them to fire staff, merge the servers 3+ times, and go FTP.

In the case of AoC and SWTOR, the failures were so high profile and well documented that it shocked the industry. 

Ignorant nonsense. Though some of these games didn't get the numbers one had hoped for, they are extremely profitable today and enjoy a 'healthy' player base.

Age of Conan was such a massive flop two of Funcom's partners went bankrupt. It merged the servers 3 times and then went FTP. It's current "healthy population" is less than pre 2004 MMO sub levels.

STO and CHO both flopped hard on release and didn't find their niche until they restructured the game and went FTP.

Neverwinter has already been more or less forgotten entirely.

Rift merged it's servers 3 times before going FTP, and has merged again since then, with a constantly shrinking playerbase.

SWOTOR had a budget of 300 million, and spent another 200 million on advertising. It sold over a million boxes on launch day, and almost right away lost it all. It was down to about 400k subscribers, and had merged its servers 3 times, and fired 80% of their staff just to keep the game profitable, before going FTP. Their staff is still so tiny that they can't even add new races to the game because they don't have the personel for it. It was supposed to be the biggest MMO in the world and it currently has less players than EQ did in 1999.

Compare all these high profile failures to the pre 2004 MMOs that launched, and then GREW slowly over time before peaking YEARS after launch.

Compare this to Eve, that at 550k subscribers and is STILL growing, because it's designed well and knows how to appeal to its niche.

There's correlation there.

Some of this stuff is hillarious man - so much made up stuff in here.

But lets skip the fabrication and fantasy.

Themepark MMOs (WoW excluded) spike at launch and then decline over 6 months before settling to a steady state.

Sandbox MMOs start slow and increase population over time (EvE is a good example).

These are general trends - yes there are exceptions.

Why?

Because in thempark games as players "consume" content they move on once most of the content is consumed.

Why do Sandboxes start slow - it takes time for player generated content also alliances and politics take time - these grow over time - since there is not "finite" content to consume and the game is constantly changing - playerbase tends to grow over time.

EvE was under 100K subs for *3 years* - again it took them a long time to ramp up.

Thanks for playing! :)

I don't know why people even bother explaining it to him anymore. Every thread he makes those posts in the list of fabricated intel grows and the games seem to go from not doing well to DYING!!! even though you can log into most of them and see a very active population. I say most because I don't play them all...so don't have first hand knowledge.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Aztec
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

No it isn't! It's a matter of familiarity

It's up to you weaklings not to call it an ES game, then try to make it so.

I played every ES game from Daggerfall to Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls feeling was not present in ESO IMHO.

That's not a bad thing.

If an MMORPG feels like a singleplayer game, something went terribly wrong.

But your statement is way too broad.

He is not referring to the feeling of what a a "single player" game is like and what a multi-player game is like.

He is referring to the game play aspects of freedom, exploration, discovery. The feeling that manifests in many Elder Scrolls games.

That feeling is not dependent on single or multi-player components. It can be affected by them but it's not dependent.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by PioneerStew

I dislike people saying that they could not make an mmo game with Skyrim mechanics.  They COULD, but at an initial feasibility meeting they chose not to in favour of making a generic mmo with an ES skin.  

They could have made it open world, sandboxy, classless, skill driven; they could have done all these things but instead they chucked everything that an ES game is out of the window and just made some tedious crap unworthy of the title.  

The few remaining white knights need to stop pretending that these mechanics are unobtainable in an mmo, they simply are.  

Maybe you should actually try ESO first, before making baseless assumptions based on other trolls.

I played Skyrim extensively. ESO does have a lot of Skyrim's mechanics! It very much feels like Skyrim. UI, character, combat, etc.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

there is one thing I hope to see before I die.

I wide spread understanding from the gaming community that the 'single player experience' and the 'mmo experience' isnt radically different and there are not many technical limitations between the two.

a non-class based system is not inheritly a single player experience

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

It was an Elder Scrolls game from the get go for me. Shrug, to each their own, but ESO has been exactly what I wanted out of an Elder Scrolls MMO since day one. Some people just aren't able to be pleased is the main problem, the game has always been "like Elder Scrolls". Everything from the combat to exploration to the game lore. It never wasn't Elder Scrolls like at any point.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• AztecAztec Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I wide spread understanding from the gaming community that the 'single player experience' and the 'mmo experience' isnt radically different and there are not many technical limitations between the two.

Exactly. One game that did a true classes, sandbox game was Asheron's Call and they are still going strong today even though the graphics are way dated. People are still paying to play it. Ask yourself why? Because they understood how to make and MMO and keep the single player experience.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

It was an Elder Scrolls game from the get go for me. Shrug, to each their own, but ESO has been exactly what I wanted out of an Elder Scrolls MMO since day one. Some people just aren't able to be pleased is the main problem, the game has always been "like Elder Scrolls". Everything from the combat to exploration to the game lore. It never wasn't Elder Scrolls like at any point.

I dont think its an issue of not being able to be please.

Speaking personally I adore the ES series and I see Skyrim as the perfect RPG. When I want something close to that experience in a multiplayer enviroment I have a handful of games that give me that, but ESO is not one of them.

I am rather pleased with the MMOs I play and those MMOs bring me closer to a ES experience then I would imagine ESO would.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Sandbox MMOs start slow and increase population over time (EvE is a good example).These are general trends - yes there are exceptions. 

How can this be a trend when you like 2 sandbox MMOs have done this?

Besides Eve and UO what sandbox has done this?

Darkfall? Mortal? SWG?

Did you ever think that perhaps your sandbox trend idea is wrong and Eve is the exception?
    LOL No, of course not!

Heck, even ArcheAge has been suffering a dwindling population overseas.

Originally posted by allday88

Well you will never get your wish little buddy. Because the truth is mmos are a lot more technical to create then a single player game. Here are just a few...

multiple servers...

thousands if not millions playing at one time...

class balance (that alone blows your theory out of the water),

group content,...

auction houses..

.guilds..

.in game chat...ect ect ect...

and none of those things are related to:

skill based systems

player created factions

true free roam

non-quest dependent skill system

fact is, other MMOs have the features that exist in the single player ES series and they do just fine. Not sure why Zenimax thinks the things I have listed are a technical issue with being multiplayer.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Sandbox MMOs start slow and increase population over time (EvE is a good example).

Darkfall? Mortal? SWG?

Did you ever think that perhaps your sandbox trend idea is wrong and Eve is the exception?
    LOL No, of course not!

so here is the thing

Darkfall? been online longer than ESO

Mortal Online? been online longer than ESO

not exactly sure what you are saying here. thus far the one who needs to proove itself in the long run is ESO not Darkfall or Mortal

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

Well you will never get your wish little buddy. Because the truth is mmos are a lot more technical to create then a single player game. Here are just a few...

multiple servers...

group content,...

auction houses..

.guilds..

In a classless system, there are no classes to balance. You build what you want. If someone built a character that can beat yours, then you adjust. It is on you to find YOUR balance. Group content and auction houses are already available in MMOs that offer the classless approach, as are all other elements of your post. As for them being different from single player games, the Diablo games were single player games with a multiplayer option that offered Group content and Auction houses. Plenty of in-game chat as well.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by Tyggs

multiple servers...

group content,...

auction houses..

.guilds..

In a classless system, there are no classes to balance. You build what you want. If someone built a character that can beat yours, then you adjust. It is on you to find YOUR balance. Group content and auction houses are already available in MMOs that offer the classless approach, as are all other elements of your post. As for them being different from single player games, the Diablo games were single player games with a multiplayer option that offered Group content and Auction houses. Plenty of in-game chat as well.

sorry but skill based MMOs are fairly common. Its not exactly a huge technical challenge that a small team cant over come.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Darkfall? Mortal? SWG?

LOL No, of course not!

so here is the thing

Darkfall? been online longer than ESO

Mortal Online? been online longer than ESO

not exactly sure what you are saying here. thus far the one who needs to proove itself in the long run is ESO not Darkfall or Mortal

something on this sub-topic just hit me.

It appears that at least some on the ESO community are in fact admiting that other MMOs are more like ESO than ESO is.

The debate now moves toward is the question of is such a model successful which speaking for myself is a subject I dont care much about because I often play games created by extreemly small teams

Speaking personally I adore the ES series and I see Skyrim as the perfect RPG. When I want something close to that experience in a multiplayer enviroment I have a handful of games that give me that, but ESO is not one of them.

I am rather pleased with the MMOs I play and those MMOs bring me closer to a ES experience then I would imagine ESO would.

Again. Have you actually played ESO after launch? Or just base everything on assumptions made by trolls?

I played Skyrim extensively and see a hell lot of resemblance in ESO in a lot of the mechanics. From Exploration, characters, the combat system, the UI.... all come straight out of Skyrim.

Originally posted by JeroKane

Again. Have you actually played ESO after launch? Or just base everything on assumptions made by trolls?

I played Skyrim extensively and see a hell lot of resemblance in ESO in a lot of the mechanics. From Exploration, characters, the combat system, the UI.... all come straight out of Skyrim.

I dont play class based systems anymore and I dont need to play ESO to know its a class based system.

I have played class based before and I perfer skill based.

The only class based game I have played in 6 years was AA which for me was a mistake. Although that game is better than most mainstream MMOs it wasnt good enough for me.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Seems to me that the game diverges from the Elder Scrolls theme as soon as you open the character creation screen, 4 classes, of which only 1 of them is remotely in theme, the others don't seem to belong in Elder Scrolls at all.

Far better they just had 3 base classes, warrior, thief or mage, and then allowed people to build from there, but given the heavy restrictions placed even on the magic system in the game, i am not entirely surprised that it fails even at that basic a level.

As the game doesn't start out by 'feeling like an Elder Scrolls game' i am not sure at what point it possibly could. I think anyone going into this game looking for the Elder Scrolls experience is going to be disappointed, the only question is can the game overcome those limitations, as there has still been no word from Zenimax on how well the game is doing, i would hazard a guess that they are a bit worried about that side of things themselves.image

I dont play class based systems anymore and I dont need to play ESO to know its a class based system.

The only class based game I have played in 6 years was AA which for me was a mistake. Although that game is better than most mainstream MMOs it wasnt good enough for me.

And so ladies and gentlemen. The truth has come out. Admitting it yourself now.

You bashing a game you haven't even played!

Making and continue to make baseless assumptions and claims on a game you haven't even tried! /FACEPALM!

You are the Perfect example of a troll. Tjeez.

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I think the real question isn't if this feels like an ES game. It's more along the lines of how much further down the road do we have to wait for it to get closer to being one. They outlined a lot of nice features for the future. Will these features work? Are they coming in a few months? On both accounts we are left in the dark. As of right now one thing is apparent though. This company is trying to get the game right. All the negativity about it aside. I'm happy they're trying to get it right. I don't see Zenimax slowing down the pace anytime soon to get this game to where it needs to be. Now if only they could get pvp sorted a bit better and give me the Imperial City already.

Making and continue to make baseless assumptions and claims on a game you haven't even tried! /FACEPALM!

sorry but that doesnt really make a huge difference. Granted it helps but it really dosent matter than much in this context.

unless of course the game is nothing at all like what Zenimax says it is.

Think of a car dealership. If the dealership tells you 'this is a 4x4 truck that is elevated from the ground, it has a cab and can pull 10,000 pounds'. you dont need to drive it to know what kind of car it is, unless of course the dealership is liying.

is the fault in your logic?

sorry but that doesnt really make a huge difference. Granted it helps but it really dosent matter than much in this context.

Think of a car dealership. If the dealership tells you 'this is a 4x4 truck that is elevated from the ground, it has a cab and can pull 10,000 pounds'. you dont need to drive it to know what kind of car it is, unless of course the dealership is liying.

Maybe you should reread back your own posts and all the baseless claims you were making.

Baseless claims that have been countered time and again. Which you just ignored and just continue on your tirade.

Maybe you should reread back your own posts and all the baseless claims you were making.

Baseless claims that have been countered time and again. Which you just ignored and just continue on your tirade.

so you are telling me that zenimax lied about the features of the game?..please read what I said about the car dealership....please

sorry that is the last I can say toward you, the mods are a bit random and I dont want to get banned for basically interacting to much.

so you are telling me that zenimax lied about the features of the game?..please read what I said about the car dealership....please

sorry that is the last I can say toward you, the mods are a bit random and I dont want to get banned for basically interacting to much.

Most official games sites are crap, including the ESO site, when it comes to explaining features and game description. There is hardly anthing there.

You have to go to one of the better community sites!  If you trully are bit of a serious gamer you should know better by know!

So all you did is Reading some sparse headlines and descriptions on the main website and you know the game and every mechanic by heart now? LOL! You got to be joking! /FACEPALM

YOU CLAIM that ESO is nothing like Skyrim and doesn't play like Skyrim.

While People (me included) who actually DO play the game right now, tell you otherwise!

Except for choosing a starter class, the game feels and plays very much like Skyrim! Period!

I played the last 3 Elder Scrolls game extensively. Especially Skyrim and I am now subbed again to ESO!

So YES! I am actually playing the game and know what I am talking about.

• veritas723veritas723 Member CommonPosts: 38

such a dumb post.  

played a beta.   was pissed the game wasn't what he wanted it to be.    doesn't clarify why he's butthurt.  

silly QQ about a brand new game OP thinks will never be fixed.  fixed in the first couple months.  

The game is not a single player game.  It's not Skyrim online.   What it does have,  all the places, lore, and feel of an Elder Scrolls game.  They even added picking up the random crap off tables, weapon wracks and whatnot.   They'll eventually be adding a "justice system"  so taking the crap from stores or crates in town will be stealing.   And NPC murder.  

but,  some people would rather grind an axe of QQ