Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not install ARC on your pc !!!

124»

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by jackie28
    Originally posted by jimbobfurley

Personally, I have a simple solution for Arc.  I stay well away from those thieves at PW.  Thus, I have no need to install the piece of junk to gain access to their garbage games.

Kinda what I'm thinking.

I've noticed that games which originate outside of North America and the EU tend to have an anything goes mentality when it comes to spyware.  They KNOW they're outside of any relevant legal jurisdiction.

Trying to remember the name of one of the pieces of crap I installed, but it totally hijacked my browser and modified Windows.

My first reaction was that their distribution process had been hacked and they were inadvertently distributing viruses, but then I had an epiphany :

WHAT IF certain companies, as a business model, are CHOOSING to infect millions of computers, and doing it under a VEIL of legitimacy?

We typically think of the bad guys as being independent outliers hacking, attaching and corrupting systems, but what if the system is corrupt from top to bottom?  Food for thought.  Be careful who you TRUST.

Maybe you should try reading the terms and p&p for steam(and others, google for instance) sometime.  EU laws and US laws on privacy seem to be very different.

For anyone interested the beta terms for arc are on the new website and the do seem to be quite a bit worse than they were before, still not as bad as steam(guessing people don't bother readin their terms) and others, but enough to put me off playing(not a big lose though imo).  Will be interesting to see if they get updated again after arc goes live.
  • TbauTbau Member Posts: 401
    Originally posted by JJ82

As long as the game can be installed via steam, there is no need to use ARC.

And when they remove their games from steam, they remove me as a customer. Plain and simple.

I agree with this. I will stop going back to playing Neverwinter once in a while when ARC becomes mandatory. I place Trions Glyph into the same category, if they make it a mandatory client that tries to act like Steam, I will stop playing Rift and occasionally Defiance when I feel the need to shoot something in the head.

Steam is the only game community service I require, I sure as hell don't need one for each and every single company especially those that are attempting to put a strangle hold on Indie companies by getting them to use their corporate services so they can start taking them over. I will not feed that beast.

Originally posted by Tbau
    Originally posted by JJ82

As long as the game can be installed via steam, there is no need to use ARC.

And when they remove their games from steam, they remove me as a customer. Plain and simple.

I agree with this. I will stop going back to playing Neverwinter once in a while when ARC becomes mandatory. I place Trions Glyph into the same category, if they make it a mandatory client that tries to act like Steam, I will stop playing Rift and occasionally Defiance when I feel the need to shoot something in the head.

Steam is the only game community service I require, I sure as hell don't need one for each and every single company especially those that are attempting to put a strangle hold on Indie companies by getting them to use their corporate services so they can start taking them over. I will not feed that beast.

You mean like steam?

Whilst I'm not a fan of arc etc. I've never seen anything about them in regards to any other company, as far as I know they are both independant game launchers.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Hahaha.now I know why ie crash!hey Microsoft,here is the reason ie keep crashing :perfect world arc is leeching.uc browser for android does the same.
  • green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

I believe the US Federal Trade Commission has prosecuted at least one case involving software collecting information it had no business collecting so I'm curious to see how the Arc client fares with them.

Though I'd never install it myself anyway. I was in a guild that wanted to try a PWE game and had that horrible Pando Media Booster on my machine for a day or two, surreptitiously chewing up bandwidth and slowing everything down. A peer-to-peer client which runs without your knowledge is not the same as a download manager.

Shifty as.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

if i cant play STO without ARC, they will lose another customer

Xfire was a mess too, uninstall