Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The war of the sandbox games. Thanks Steam!

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

For many years the top dog among sandbox mmos was EVE. I even remember the fanboism of EVE players at this site. A common example is "WOW is cancer. EVE cures cancer!". Or better yet," playing WOW is like asking a friend to kick you in the nads then thanking him".  Just examples of  old school fanboism.

But lately I have noticed a large decline in EVE players.  I also have noticed a BIG increase of another sandbox game. That game is Perpetuum. Which is basically EVE on a world setting. With mechs, resources, mining, harvesting, research. All the joys that EVE brought, Perpetuum brings.

I can say in part STEAM plays a big role in the player increase, but I believe it is something more. Why are so many quitting EVE?

Now to another sandbox game. Wurm Online has also seen a big increase of players. This fantasy setting game is true to the sandbox premise. Everything is craftable, destroyable and has a steep learning curve. With those players who like a fantasy/real world sandbox Wurm offers it!.

Wurm is also a STEAM game! And it initially is free to play.

So how many of you play a sandbox mmo? What do you think of the new blood entering these sandbox games? What is the missing element that is affecting players to go with the alternative choices to EVE?

Is there a new emergence of the sandbox mmorpg?

Comments

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Well, i played all three and i immensley enjoyed Wurm, hated perpetuum, still play EVE but have taken longer and longer breaks recently. Most likely because i've played it for 10 years and frankly just am itching for something new and different. Unfortunately new and different in the form of Archeage was a massive waste of my time and I really dislike it. I couldn't tell you why people are leaving EVE because every eve player i play with takes a whole slew of different reasons for leaving. One guy left for boxing, one guy left for stock broker work and didn't have time, one had a kid and got married, one left for AA hes back already, one left for minecraft/terraria binge, one left because he ran out of money, one left because hes bored of mmorpgs completely, pretty much all of our members leave and rejoin in like a 3 month cycle for the past 10 years and some stay gone and others join anew and start their own cycle.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by DMKano
    OP - you are asking a question as a fact. What evidence do you have that "so many are leaving EvE"? Can you define "so many"?

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I played Perpetuum very early on in its release, a couple of years ago I think it was, but went off it and deleted the game. I'd heard nothing about it since, so I thought it had folded.  I might have a look and see how it has moved on, if it has at all.

EDIT: Oh, I'd missed the bit where Steam has it available now.  I'm not sure about the price they're asking though.  It was free when I played it!

• I'm playing Perpetuum for like 4 months right now. I tried it before it went b2p but I was playing Eve back then and even I liked the game itself I couldn't pay 2 sub fee back then so I stopped playing after trial. When I saw Perpetuum on Steam with b2p payment option I said wth and bought it. I didn't regret it even once. Perpetuum is an amazing game. It is basically Eve with terrain tactics and wasd controls. In many ways Eve is a lot better. But when it comes to pvp, sorry but Perpetuum is better in my opinion. You have a lot of tactical options with terrain and wasd controls. You can do a lot of things like take cover, ambush etc. And the population is amazing right now. It is growing everyday. If you didn't play this game till now, you should absolutely try it. It is only $29 with no monthly fee.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

I agree with the op when he says eve numbers are declining. I quit myself just a couple of months ago and i noticed the number of users was definitely down compared to a couple of years ago. I think people quit for different reasons, mine was how unfair the asteroid spawning system greatly benefited russians/europeans while forcing americans to go after the left over scraps.

I suspect more people are leaving though because of the current state of null sec. Its basically a few coalitions owning everything(as seen here) and just renting space out. Only fun pvp left is found in faction warfare and ganking miners. The game has become pretty stale. With more sandbox options available now... people are figuring out that you can just go some where else.

Another big reason I'd have to say is the community. I've seen quite a few number of people rage quit over how bad the community is shifting. Its starting to resemble the league of legends community now. The amount of trash talking is on the rise.  Hang around the miner chat for a week, the amount of bashing on Jews/blacks/hispanics is crazy. In all fairness to CCP, they do ban these guys, i know because i report these guys. They like to come back on alts and keep the conversation going just enough where you cant really report them but just enough so that you know they are basically putting other people down. Who wants to play in a universe with people like that?

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    i give chance every sandbox game but , every time , I am back to EVE
  • killabozzkillabozz Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Wurm is also a STEAM game! And it initially is free to play.

Since when is Wurm on steam? I can't seem to find it.