Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Initial impressions up to lvl 15

124»

Comments

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by Nightfyre

I miss the days of Dark Age or Asheron's Call when the community wasn't as bad as it has gotten since WoW.  Mmmm well Ultima Online wasn't that great either in communityl

my old sig used to say "pissing off fanboys since 1997". I am suprised Raph Koster did not hunt me down and kick my butt in real life I gave him such a hard time in the UO beta and SWG beta. 17 years this month for the UO beta. I stiil have my beta CD :)BTW Raph if you read this I miss you too :) MMO playrs have always been opinionated pricks

I have the beta CD too and the map for UO.. I think I lost the Pin. 

I tried going back to DAoC on Free Servers not the same Without people to run with, though I loved my Pet Machine Gun Theurg. 

I guess Repopulation is my next SWG and UO game.

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222

I miss the days of Dark Age or Asheron's Call when the community wasn't as bad as it has gotten since WoW.  Mmmm well Ultima Online wasn't that great either in communityl

my old sig used to say "pissing off fanboys since 1997". I am suprised Raph Koster did not hunt me down and kick my butt in real life I gave him such a hard time in the UO beta and SWG beta. 17 years this month for the UO beta. I stiil have my beta CD :)BTW Raph if you read this I miss you too :) MMO playrs have always been opinionated pricks

I miss SWG...

Still, the apparent depth and complexity along with the open worldness (if thats even a word) that AA appears to have in abundence gives me some hope it may be the game for me :)

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka

I miss SWG...

Still, the apparent depth and complexity along with the open worldness (if thats even a word) that AA appears to have in abundence gives me some hope it may be the game for me :)

Miss SWG too that's why I'm hoping this Repopulation rekindles that, though it might be more akin to UO. 

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Sad the real game starts after level 30 and higher :P
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • deavyindeavyin Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by deavyin

No worries OP. Over the years people have been trained to think that MMO's should be nothing more than a interactive movie, where you follow the breadcrumbs from quest to quest. Along the way you  do some pre scripted  dungeons to get the good gear and eventually get to the big raids which you repeat each weekend hoping to win the roll for the sword of ultimate kickass or whatever. One of the latest trends is there will be some slick voice  over by out of work actors who will pretend to be you character when you makes choice A, B, or C off the quest dialogue box.  That was the the best part of ESO and SWTOR in my opinion.

This game will certainly not be for everyone and in fact it will only confuse and frustrate most of those who did not play such games as Ultima and DAoC. There will be a lot of peole like yourself that will just not get it. It's ok, that is why there are different games. So far it sure looks as iff  there will be enough people who enjoy a game that actually has a element of RPG to keep the servers filled. I am in a more mature guild and so far everyone who has tried it is enjoying it so that in itself is a good sigh. No offense toward the younger crowd but I would be happier if you all stick to Wildstar or whatever the flavor of the month game is this week.

Umm...I'm 32 years old and played an obscene amount of DAoC when I was in college.  I was Midgard for life and it was a much simpler time for MMO games.

Not sure what you are getting at but I give you a 10 for the passive aggressive condescension and a 5 for the poor man's strawmaning of modern day mmo gamers.

I obviously do not know when you began playing DAoC or even if you ever did. However at release the DAoC had at most dozen quests on the Albion side. This was pre expansion and pre Darkness Falls of course. Over the years Mythic added quests but at release they were sparse at best. The grind for 30 to 50 wqas endless it seemed. But for you  I will put what I am getting at in simple terms in hopes that you can get it

It seems these days the popular thing is a interactive video that calls itself a MMO. Pick a class and go from breadcrumb to bread crumb and the biggest choice you make is choosing option A, B, or C  in the storyline then some voice actor recites their choice. No decisions to be made that will ever have much if any effect on their toon getting to max level. You do some dungeons along the way, may try some crafting just to find that the dungeon drops are far better than you can craft so you put the crafting aside for the endgame where you just buy the mats on the AH and max it in a day or so of clicking. The endgame consists of endless raiding which only requires lots of time and a bit of luck on the random number generator to win the rolls for the gear

Everyone is always waiting in anticipation of the next big game and when it releases they play it for a month and dismiss it as  another WoW clone.  A game comes along which attempts tpo break the cycle and it is widly dismissed as sub par because it does not adhere to the standard interactive video genre and  requires some thought about the decisions made.

For anyone that fits this description just go away this is not the game for you. You have LoTRO, SWOTOR, ESO, WOW, Wildstar and a slew of other games which will satisfy your interactive video desires much better than AA ever will. Forget this one you will never enjoy it. This is no slam against people who do not enjoy AA, just an observation and a suggestion. If anyone feels insulted by my post perhaps I am hitting too close to the truth and you simply do not want to hear it.

I played DAoC from day 1.  I was also 19 years old and phones were not smart.  It was different times all around.

WoW came along and re-defined the genre.  I think it's cool that games are coming around again to shift the paradigm back to a more social sandbox type of game.

You say "Everyone is always waiting in anticipation of the next big game and when it releases they play it for a month and dismiss it as  another WoW clone"

Well, if you don't want us to dismiss Archeage as a WoW clone (and a bad one) then don't make the first 30 levels of your game a bad WoW clone.

Explain how a level 15 character plays this game like a sandbox?

The game seems to want me to talk to NPC X and kill 10 of creature Y and then click of 5 of thing Z and then talk to NPC X who tells me to go to NPC XY who wants me to kill 15 of enemy YY etc etc...

I asked this in chat and was told "go off the rails".  

I planted 6 trees, 3  were stolen, I ran out of labor points so I was left twiddling my thumbs.

is that sandbox?  

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka

I miss SWG...

Miss SWG too that's why I'm hoping this Repopulation rekindles that, though it might be more akin to UO. 

Well actually I still play it all the time but yeah, you know what I meant :)

Repop is the "other" great hope I have....reminds me, need to check up on that game!!

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
    OP might be 100% correct about their list of pros and cons, but "I played till level 15" is basically like saying "I played 3% of the game). People should keep that in mind.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

I played DAoC from day 1.  I was also 19 years old and phones were not smart.  It was different times all around.

WoW came along and re-defined the genre.  I think it's cool that games are coming around again to shift the paradigm back to a more social sandbox type of game.

You say "Everyone is always waiting in anticipation of the next big game and when it releases they play it for a month and dismiss it as  another WoW clone"

Well, if you don't want us to dismiss Archeage as a WoW clone (and a bad one) then don't make the first 30 levels of your game a bad WoW clone.

The game seems to want me to talk to NPC X and kill 10 of creature Y and then click of 5 of thing Z and then talk to NPC X who tells me to go to NPC XY who wants me to kill 15 of enemy YY etc etc...

I planted 6 trees, 3  were stolen, I ran out of labor points so I was left twiddling my thumbs.

is that sandbox?  

Okay I'm confused ....@ 15 you have a boat , a scarecrow , a glider , a mount and a donkey and you played Daoc from day one but you can't play this game as a sandbox ?

Originally posted by Bad.dog

is that sandbox?  

Okay I'm confused ....@ 15 you have a boat , a scarecrow , a glider , a mount and a donkey and you played Daoc from day one but you can't play this game as a sandbox ?

1. I tried to put down the scarecrow and game said "no" ...then it politel asked me to give it money.  I reminded it that this is a beta and to go F itself ...no response

2. the glider and the donkey are mounts...just like the mount.  Having mounts != Sandbox.  

In wow you eventually get  many mounts.  I guess people  need to realize it's a sandbox game...I mean some of the mounts fly even.

You played Archeage during beta and you can't play WoW as a dating sim?

DAoC was NOT a sandbox game.  Having little content doesn't make you a sandbox game.  If we stripped all quests out of WoW it would not become a sandbox game.  

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

Deavyin, I posted a bit earlier in this thread and I agreed with many of the things that you said.  I still do to a degree. 

With that said, I have to admit that AA is growing on me as I play it.  I'm still a measly level 14 and haven't seen a fraction of what the game offers.  Last night I got my glider and today I visited Mirage Island to see all the goodies.   I was blown away and easily spent 3 hours just looking around.  My daughter was looking over my shoulder and is now downloading the game with an extra beta key I had.    I fell in love with housing, the costumes, the adorable horses, pets, etc.   I loved all the glider designs.  I was impressed with the ships and all you can build.   I see that much of this will be gained over time and some things will be a very long term project.  Quite frankly, I love that in an MMO.  I've heard that it can take ages to truly learn the bulk of the skills.   Long term projects are what pull me into an MMO.  Sadly in a quest based game like ESO, SWTOR, TSW (which had the best quests in any MMO I've played), things do come to an end.  SWTOR was a prime example.  Wonderful class quests, loved the companions and their stories.  Sadly though when everything was done, I felt the big let down.  Sure I could start up another class but then I would have to go through the boring non class quest stuff again.  TSW was another game where I loved the quests and storyline.  Once it was done, there just wasn't other stuff to do (aside from running dungeons again and again or PvPing).   No side activities, abysmal crafting, etc.  I can only do dailies or run dungeons so many times before I give it up.   From what I'm seeing, AA seems  to have a plethora of other things to do.

Like you, I'm not a founder.  I wanted to grow a crop for a delivery quest (part of the tutorial).  I placed a crop (thought I hid it pretty well) but alas someone harvested it and it was gone this morning.   A nice person in the guild I joined offered farm use which was very nice.   I think that as a founder and being able to have a farm or own a house, it will really open up the game.  I do think that Trion should have given us the whole founder deal...at least for one beta....to see the game with all the bells and whistles.   At least let us put in a farm.  I too was disappointed when I got my quest reward and couldn't plant my scarecrow.   I'm a crafter at heart and I do want to see this aspect of the game.  I like the fact that you really have to plan out your goals to optimize your time and of course labor points.

I'm still on the fence but now starting to see the wonderful depth of the game.  I'm going to try to get my hubby interested and I have hopes (if I can pull him away for his new character on SWTOR...grrrrr).    I have some other gaming buddies who may be playing.  I had to amend a very negative email I sent to another friend about AA yesterday.   I do have an open mind and my opinion is changing the more I play.  Heck, I can spend hours just gliding or fishing (when I actually figure out how to make a fishing pole, lol).  One things that I've sorely missed is having a strong guild.  In ESO, I'm not a fan of joining 5 guilds and at times, it is a glorified chat room or trading room.  I feel very little kinship with any of them.  My last great guild experience was in LOTRO where we spent many hours together in guild activities.  EQ2 was another great game where we spent many hours together on some of the long term game quests.   Since then, I've felt really no ties to a guild.  I've met some nice folks and we've gamed together for many years.  As to a long term guild, not for awhile.  I see AA bringing this aspect back to me.  Now the key is to find a good group of folks on whatever server we pick and do some great guild stuff together.

To some others on this thread....my only advice is to be patient with some of us who may be on the fence.  Barbs such as---you must be very young and entitled, go away we don't want you, etc don't promote a good community.    I've been playing MMOs for a loooong time and PC gaming even longer (I'm probably one of the older posters here).   It has been awhile since I've played a sandbox game so it may take me a bit of time to really get into this type of game again.   Now to just find a great guild at launch and have some fun.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

@Erda:

You wrote close to what i feel 4months ago when try AA in RU servers, for what you wrote theres a high change for you to have a great time in AA, and yes, a nice group of ppl is need it.

Other thing is, to full experience the game the patron status is need it imo.

About age, im 44 too and im sure we are not the oldest ones around  image

Have fun :)

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by Jabas

@Erda:

You wrote close to what i feel 4months ago when try AA in RU servers, for what you wrote theres a high change for you to have a great time in AA, and yes, a nice group of ppl is need it.

Other thing is, to full experience the game the patron status is need it imo.

About age, im 44 too and im sure we are not the oldest ones around  image

Have fun :)

Echoing here too. I played the full game on RU servers with Patron status and man it was fun. Too bad it was basically a paid beta test for me and I didn't get too deep into gameplay. But man the crafting is great, the world is immersive and the game is just fun.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

Originally posted by Erda

Deavyin, I posted a bit earlier in this thread and I agreed with many of the things that you said.  I still do to a degree. 

With that said, I have to admit that AA is growing on me as I play it.  I'm still a measly level 14 and haven't seen a fraction of what the game offers.  Last night I got my glider and today I visited Mirage Island to see all the goodies.   I was blown away and easily spent 3 hours just looking around.  My daughter was looking over my shoulder and is now downloading the game with an extra beta key I had.    I fell in love with housing, the costumes, the adorable horses, pets, etc.   I loved all the glider designs.  I was impressed with the ships and all you can build.   I see that much of this will be gained over time and some things will be a very long term project.  Quite frankly, I love that in an MMO.  I've heard that it can take ages to truly learn the bulk of the skills.   Long term projects are what pull me into an MMO.  Sadly in a quest based game like ESO, SWTOR, TSW (which had the best quests in any MMO I've played), things do come to an end.  SWTOR was a prime example.  Wonderful class quests, loved the companions and their stories.  Sadly though when everything was done, I felt the big let down.  Sure I could start up another class but then I would have to go through the boring non class quest stuff again.  TSW was another game where I loved the quests and storyline.  Once it was done, there just wasn't other stuff to do (aside from running dungeons again and again or PvPing).   No side activities, abysmal crafting, etc.  I can only do dailies or run dungeons so many times before I give it up.   From what I'm seeing, AA seems  to have a plethora of other things to do.

Like you, I'm not a founder.  I wanted to grow a crop for a delivery quest (part of the tutorial).  I placed a crop (thought I hid it pretty well) but alas someone harvested it and it was gone this morning.   A nice person in the guild I joined offered farm use which was very nice.   I think that as a founder and being able to have a farm or own a house, it will really open up the game.  I do think that Trion should have given us the whole founder deal...at least for one beta....to see the game with all the bells and whistles.   At least let us put in a farm.  I too was disappointed when I got my quest reward and couldn't plant my scarecrow.   I'm a crafter at heart and I do want to see this aspect of the game.  I like the fact that you really have to plan out your goals to optimize your time and of course labor points.

I'm still on the fence but now starting to see the wonderful depth of the game.  I'm going to try to get my hubby interested and I have hopes (if I can pull him away for his new character on SWTOR...grrrrr).    I have some other gaming buddies who may be playing.  I had to amend a very negative email I sent to another friend about AA yesterday.   I do have an open mind and my opinion is changing the more I play.  Heck, I can spend hours just gliding or fishing (when I actually figure out how to make a fishing pole, lol).  One things that I've sorely missed is having a strong guild.  In ESO, I'm not a fan of joining 5 guilds and at times, it is a glorified chat room or trading room.  I feel very little kinship with any of them.  My last great guild experience was in LOTRO where we spent many hours together in guild activities.  EQ2 was another great game where we spent many hours together on some of the long term game quests.   Since then, I've felt really no ties to a guild.  I've met some nice folks and we've gamed together for many years.  As to a long term guild, not for awhile.  I see AA bringing this aspect back to me.  Now the key is to find a good group of folks on whatever server we pick and do some great guild stuff together.

To some others on this thread....my only advice is to be patient with some of us who may be on the fence.  Barbs such as---you must be very young and entitled, go away we don't want you, etc don't promote a good community.    I've been playing MMOs for a loooong time and PC gaming even longer (I'm probably one of the older posters here).   It has been awhile since I've played a sandbox game so it may take me a bit of time to really get into this type of game again.   Now to just find a great guild at launch and have some fun.

The labor point thing feel foolish to me.  I completely agree that they should open up the game for everyone in the beta.  If I did play the game, I would fully intend to pay for it monthly since I typically despise F2P games because I don't like feeling like I'm being manipulated.

Also, and this is a HUGE stickler for me, I don't pay money for betas.  It's a beta, we are testing your game, it's not released, do not ask for money!  It's infuriating to me and it's something that is going to get worse because people will pay.  It's like Mass Effect 3 and it's Day 1 DLC.  Everyone was upset about it yet everyone bought it...except for me.  I still have, and never will, play it.  I won't reward bad behavior.  (I'm talking about the DLC...I played the HELL out of that game...then pulled my hair out at the ending...then hated all life at the updated ending).

So, I won't be able to enjoy the game until I pay money for it and I won't pay money for an MMO until I know I am going to enjoy it.  Bit of a dilemma.  I use MMO betas  (and free trials) to test games before investing in them.  I don't think I have ever outright purchased an MMO before testing it.  An MMO is a long term investment and a single player game is not; at least not in the same way.  Even a game like GW2, which I couldn't get into, I can at least jump into now and again to see how it's going without spending any more money.  It's one of the reasons I was so upset with Wildstar.  I felt lied to and now, if I ever want to see if they fixed their grindfest, I have to give them 15 bucks.  Blech.

I am not usually into MMO crafting, but if it was a boat or a house or something like that I could probably get into it.  For me it's the idea of doing open world PVP and sailing on ships and raiding castles.  That sounds like a lot of fun (and what I loved the most about DAoC).

I think they just need to make the game P2P when it comes out with a limited free trial.  Make beta open to everyone and get rid of the Labor Point nonsense since it's clearly a cash grab and in this day and age it's pretty transparent.  If you pay monthly, you shouldn't be artificially restricted from enjoying the content when you want to.  Especially in a sandbox-ish game.  You should never have to pay more money to get ahead (labor points pots for real money) when you are paying a subscription.  That's double dipping and should be discouraged at all costs for the anti-consumerism it is.

Maybe I could find a lot to like about the game but all I know right now is that I can't put down my scarecrow, which means the very limited amount of items I can drop (6 trees and I was maxed) are not safe and I can only gain 5 labor points every 5 minutes while logged in only.

Doesn't inspire me to give them any money...especially during a beta.

I totally get where you are coming from though and i hope you enjoy it.  I just dropped 60 on TESO, 60 on Wildstar (boy do I regret it) and I'm not about to drop 60 on AA only for it to be a dud.  In fairness, both TESO and Wildstar can be fixed.  TESO apparently is being fixed, so I'll give it another shot before giving up on it, and Wildstar...well...it's #hardcore which is pretty much the antithesis of a sandbox game or anything I am looking to do.  Seriously carbine........no.

I have very little patience for games that disrespect me, my money, my time, or my intelligence.  Goes for most companies in fact, I'm one of those over educated white male liberal west coast tree hugging anti-consumerist anti-corporate lefties

...even when it's not in my best interest.

Best of luck.  I think I'll give TESO a play this weekend after uninstalling AA.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

those 2 paragraphs tells all. You went into the game and tried to play as you play WoW by doing every NPC with an exclamation point over his head and hated it. I can see that . My first toon I played the same way up till around 15. The next round I began to just do the quests I wanted the rewards from and ditch the others. Get the equipment , the gilda's and just do the others for the exp if needed, delte from quest log if not needed. The writiing in most of them suck and at that time the cut scenes were in Korean still.  Lesson 1- This ain't LoTRO or GW2, don't expect fine literature

Then I started to play it as a old school  RPG. I experimented with different builds, put heavy plate on a mage and cloth on a bow user. Neither worked for me but it was fun trying.  I played with crafting, got ganked when farming in a PvP zone, flew my hang glider across most of the zone Just to see if I could. During that little exploration I also found a dragon shrine waayyy of the beaten path that I still need to go back to and explore

The game is unpolished, has some rough edges that need to be smoothed,. Maybe it's just me just me but I wish it was pay to play with a $25 dollar a month subscription and no cash shop. We all know that ain't gonna happen though.

I will live with the imperfections just to play in a game world where smart outside the box thinking is rewarded, rare crafted armor is really rare, labor spent is rewarded on the AH. Then last and most important reason -  there are not 275 other guys with a "Thors Peenie of Great Whacking" sword on my server. Of course when the next raid patches in Old Thor goes flacid and you can grind the new flavor of the month

I do understand the game is not for everyone. I been playing these a while and realize no game will ever be perfect for everyone. I can understand your view. What you need to do is realize that others may feel different and both of you be right

I miss DAoC

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

those 2 paragraphs tells all. You went into the game and tried to play as you play WoW by doing every NPC with an exclamation point over his head and hated it. I can see that . My first toon I played the same way up till around 15. The next round I began to just do the quests I wanted the rewards from and ditch the others. Get the equipment , the gilda's and just do the others for the exp if needed, delte from quest log if not needed. The writiing in most of them suck and at that time the cut scenes were in Korean still.  Lesson 1- This ain't LoTRO or GW2, don't expect fine literature

Then I started to play it as a old school  RPG. I experimented with different builds, put heavy plate on a mage and cloth on a bow user. Neither worked for me but it was fun trying.  I played with crafting, got ganked when farming in a PvP zone, flew my hang glider across most of the zone, found a dragon shrine waayyy of the beaten path

The game is unpolished, has some rough edges that need to be smoothed,. Maybe it's just me just me but I wish it was pay to play with a $25 dollar a month subscription and no cash shop. We all know that ain't gonna happen though.

I will live with the imperfections just to play in a game world where smart outside the box thinking is rewarded, rare crafted armor is really rare, labor spent is rewarded on the AH. Then last and most important reason -  there are not 275 other guys with a "Thors Peenie of Great Whacking" sword on my server. Of course when the next raid patches in Old Thor goes flacid and you can grind the new flavor of the month

I do understand the game is not for everyone. I been playing these a while and realize no game will ever be perfect for everyone. I can understand your view. What you need to do is realize that others may feel different and both of you be right

He pretty much slammed Wildstar with as little a chance as well.  TESO will be the same for him.  It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy... he looks for things to dislike and when he finds them, he says to himself... Aha! I was right.  Well, if you're looking for a bad game, it's easy to find when you're looking that hard to find it.

Originally posted by Pepeq

Then I started to play it as a old school  RPG. I experimented with different builds, put heavy plate on a mage and cloth on a bow user. Neither worked for me but it was fun trying.  I played with crafting, got ganked when farming in a PvP zone, flew my hang glider across most of the zone, found a dragon shrine waayyy of the beaten path

He pretty much slammed Wildstar with as little a chance as well.  TESO will be the same for him.  It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy... he looks for things to dislike and when he finds them, he says to himself... Aha! I was right.  Well, if you're looking for a bad game, it's easy to find when you're looking that hard to find it.

Actually, I quite liked DAoC played it for years.  I failed a few classes in college due to PSO (dreamcast), I've played so much WoW I'm beyond jaded on that game (but I keep going back to her...abusive relationship), I really like TESO but it was broken and I'm giving it time to get patched up and fixed, and SWToR I had issues with at launch when I got to 50 but they are fixed now (I have it installed, but it's been so long I forgot how to play it), I have a TON of Single player games I love (even have a tattoo of Razputin from Psychonauts), I like Rift a lot and had some good fun in it.

You'll never see me out there on forums bashing those games even if they have issues.

If your game sucks, it sucks.  Levels 1 - 15 suck for AA.  Most everyone, even those defending the game, agree.  Many people who enjoy the game will go far as to say it sucks until lvl 30.  If you don't want to do the sucky WoW themepark b.s. from 1  - 15 you have to pay the developer in order to be able to own a house/craft/do anything sandpark-y........during the closed beta test.  That sucks even worse.

Wildstar deserves the criticism it gets.  Yes, I slam it for being a bad and unsustainable game.  I never said it was unsaveable.  Carbine can still save itself...if they could only get over themselves.

GW2...I couldn't get into it.  I have nothing bad to say about it...nothing at all.  It set out to do what it wanted to do and it did it well without relying on b.s. like attunement time gates and pointless grinding or double dipping payment schemes.  I don't just harp on every game I am not entirely vested in.  I'm critical of the games that I think could be awesome but for whatever dumb decision the developers came up with are not.  Some people can see through anti-consumer b.s. and find the good...I'm not one of them.

People tend to be critical of things they don't like.  I'm going out of my way TRYING to find fun in Archeage or I wouldn't have given it a second shot.  The second shot was me saying to myself "OK...I'm going to do this the sandbox way and ignore the bright shiny exclamation points and just make my own adventure".  Then the game told me "aaaaaaant....if you want to have fun you have to pay".  I didn't look for that...the game slapped me on the face and said "give us your wallet!!!"  For a beta?!  A closed beta even. No thanks....never gonna happen.

Out of a sample size numbering in the hundreds+ you found 2 MMO games that I have taken issue with and you attempt to extrapolate a pattern.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Just like life ...F2P sucks shame it took you 15 levels in AA to find this out
  • rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378

So it looks like since it's not completely free the games shit. Good to know.

Put down the sub and experience the full game or shut up. The F2P is basically a trial. Live with it or move on.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by rockin_ufo

So it looks like since it's not completely free the games shit. Good to know.

Put down the sub and experience the full game or shut up. The F2P is basically a trial. Live with it or move on.

I find it interesting that the beta test is F2P model and not the sub model.  I would think that there would be a better chance of hooking people if they let you play the sub version.  Of course those that paid for alpha/beta access would be upset.

I played the first beta (I wasn't asked to this beta).  It seemed ok.  You could get around the lack of labor points by leaving your character logged in forever - there is not (or at least not In the first beta) an auto log off for inactivity.  I left my character logged in overnight and had enough labor points for the weekend.

I enjoyed running around - I guess that I am not allowed to judge the game since I didn't get to level 30.  I doubt if I will get it.  I'll wait for Pathfinder since I have EE access from backing their second Kickstarter.

I do hope that people enjoy it.  I probably would have played more AA if they would let me log in :)

Edit for clarity

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I'm amazed that people are defending the game by saying "It gets really good at Level 30" or "The game starts properly at Level 30" or whatever.

Seriously, the designers of any game have messed up if it doesn't get interesting until way past the start, because lots of people will quit before the interesting part.  A game should be enjoyable from the off, if it somehow differs at a later stage and "gets good", then why put al the other stuff in at the start?  Why not make it all good?

Jeez, I can't believe how some people will make excuse after excuse for a game they like in order to try to convince someone else to like it too, or simply to defend its honour.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by mark2123

I'm amazed that people are defending the game by saying "It gets really good at Level 30" or "The game starts properly at Level 30" or whatever.

Seriously, the designers of any game have messed up if it doesn't get interesting until way past the start, because lots of people will quit before the interesting part.  A game should be enjoyable from the off, if it somehow differs at a later stage and "gets good", then why put al the other stuff in at the start?  Why not make it all good?

Jeez, I can't believe how some people will make excuse after excuse for a game they like in order to try to convince someone else to like it too, or simply to defend its honour.

I liked it from the start.

• TakooTakoo Member CommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by mark2123

I agree they messed up by pretty much making you do crappy quests until at least 15 or 30. However, I wouldn't say getting to 15 or even 30 is a huge investment. Level 15 is about 1 day and all the way to 30 is another day. If the game is really good after 30. I think one or two days of ez crappy quests is not too bad.

I think they were trying to avoid having people who login and are lost from level 1.

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    Originally posted by An4thor
    Considering it takes 30m to get to lvl 15 should i take these impressions as based on 30m gameplay?

I got to level 9, tried another character for a few levels, and found I had played for about 3 hours.  Some of us folks like to take a look around, dontcha know...

It took me 2.5 days as a total noob to build small farm / large farm / clipper and level up to 31 with 8 hours a day on average.

Dint even rush it just normal pace.

Themepark questing is nothing special, but the crafting and exploring and pvp this mmo offers is excelent.

I say this is an mmo i have been waiting for since a looong time.

I think it was 2003 Eve Online since i had that paranoid feeling when making isk in nullsec, i get that same feeling when i am sailing the oceans looking for wrecks and treasure or earning gilda stars by trading them to Freedich Island.

I think most people just doesnt like to be forced into a open world where risk versus reward is the name of the game.

To each his own offcourse but remember then Archeage starts to open up at around level 30+ when you should have builded and own your large farm + clipper.

A revieuw of the 1st 15 levels is saying i only played 1% of the game and i hate it / dont like it / to themepark / or whatever reason you might give.

I am super happy with how the game is designed o/