Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It saddens me that my favorite mmo is getting dragged through the mud.

FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Every time someone wants to rant about the state of the genre, or how everything sucks, or now much they hate whatever new shiny is around to hate, Star Wars Galaxies gets dragged into the conversation.

Poor SWG. My favorite MMO ever and one of the best games Ive played, is now reduced to petty leverage for negativity and cynicism. Its ironic that a game which a lot of fans felt cultivated an amazing community is now used as an excuse to spew poison in this very community. Hate filled post after post, shitting on everything, and citing SWG as some long lost beacon of how it used to be good.

Please stop tarnishing the memory of an old favorite. Stop using SWG to trash everything else. Thats not what the game was about. Your personal agendas dont justify turning a great game with fond memories into a martyr. It does a disservice to its legacy and goes against what it stood for.

thank you

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

When you take part in ANY discussion you SHOULD point to examples and guess what examples are in  the gaming industry? >>>GAMES ,yes that includes SWG.

It is no different than if you start talking with some friends about the best Pizza joints or Pubs,you are always going to get examples of this place or that place.

I think MANY also feel some older games were nothing more than entry level gaming because it actually was not that long ago that we got the first real wave of MMORPG gaming.Even in the year 2014 imo this genre is VERY stagnant and it is because costs are just too high,almost nobody is willing to risk a real TRIPLE AAA expenditure on a game for fear it busts.Yes older games had the luxury of less overhead and cost but they also were technically VERY limited.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Wizardry

When you take part in ANY discussion you SHOULD point to examples and guess what examples are in  the gaming industry? >>>GAMES ,yes that includes SWG.

It is no different than if you start talking with some friends about the best Pizza joints or Pubs,you are always going to get examples of this place or that place.

I think MANY also feel some older games were nothing more than entry level gaming because it actually was not that long ago that we got the first real wave of MMORPG gaming.Even in the year 2014 imo this genre is VERY stagnant and it is because costs are just too high,almost nobody is willing to risk a real TRIPLE AAA expenditure on a game for fear it busts.Yes older games had the luxury of less overhead and cost but they also were technically VERY limited.

That's why I'm taking notice of kickstarter/indie developed games rather than AAA. [mod edit}

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    People have different opinions. Develop thicker skin.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    I think the fact we are talking about it is a good thing...it means it is an important game.  I mean, who ever talks about Dark & Light or Seed when discussing games?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Every time someone wants to rant about the state of the genre, or how everything sucks, or now much they hate whatever new shiny is around to hate, Star Wars Galaxies gets dragged into the conversation.

Poor SWG. My favorite MMO ever and one of the best games Ive played, is now reduced to petty leverage for negativity and cynicism. Its ironic that a game which a lot of fans felt cultivated an amazing community is now used as an excuse to spew poison in this very community. Hate filled post after post, shitting on everything, and citing SWG as some long lost beacon of how it used to be good.

Please stop tarnishing the memory of an old favorite. Stop using SWG to trash everything else. Thats not what the game was about. Your personal agendas dont justify turning a great game with fond memories into a martyr. It does a disservice to its legacy and goes against what it stood for.

thank you

It's refreshing to find a SWG fan that doesn't act like a douche.

Generally when I see someone refering to that game they are making a gigantic ass of themselves, and I find myself fighting the urge to tell I'm glad the game is dead if it's responsible for breeding players with such rotten attitudes.

Some of the worst trolls over on the official SWTOR forums were diehard SWG fans, though most of them seem to have slunk away by now, or crawled back into whatever dark hole they came out of in the first place.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    I think the fact we are talking about it is a good thing...it means it is an important game.  I mean, who ever talks about Dark & Light or Seed when discussing games?

+1 People point out the good things that SWG had. Those servers had real communities, and I think a lot of us miss that. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

thank you

Unfortunately, that's what happens whenever you put anything on a pedestal. It's only natural that people will compare things to that perceived pinnacle. And as a result, it gets used as an example (ammunition) as how other things are bad, or how they 'should' be.

It does suck, and it's lame that people do this, but what can you do. On the bright side, SWG seems to be a game uniquely paraded on this site specifically. And while it often does get used to demonize other games, there are also quite a number of posters on this site who also worship SWG (pre-cu), and rise up to defend anything negatively said about the game.

So while it does suck that your game is being perverted, at least it's not being slandered. Just ignore those that try and use your game as ammunition, and continue enjoying reminiscing with those that share an equal love for the game you played.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

thank you

I only give it the trash it deserves... I was with it from beta to close down and the game was a buggy mess with more exploits and macro abuse than i have seen since.

It had a lot of good ideas, but the dev studio could not deliver on their vision. The only part of the game that saw development was combat.. and when your game is not even 50% combat.. that is not a good thing.

This have been a good conversation

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

thank you

I'd probably still be plying it as well, had it survived. Well, at least through JTL anyway. Unfortunately, while the game had many great features for an online community, It had some serious issues as well. 

SOE and LA were correct in one thing. The game needed an overhaul. The game was doomed from the word go and I believe it was due to a HUGE miscalculation on SOE's part. That said, the changes the game needed could have been implemented without WoWifying it. But I think they took it too far.

Still, it's too bad no one has cloned SWG .

• FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139
    I've never seen Star Wars Galaxies portrayed in a negative way.  Could you give an example?
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

So speaking negatively about a game is a personal agenda whereas speaking positively about the same game isn't. 

Well, OK then.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Fingz
    I've never seen Star Wars Galaxies portrayed in a negative way.  Could you give an example?

Originally posted by Grunty
    So speaking negatively about a game is a personal agenda whereas speaking positively about the same game isn't. Well, OK then.

Nope, I think you guys misinterpreted what I was saying.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Stars Wars Galaxies Pre-CU IMO is the BEST mmorpg ever. Even to this day there is nothing that compared. Many have tried and failed. The crafting/gathering/harvesting in SWG is the most fabulous, intricate and well designed crafting system of any mmo.

Someone should start a shout out post for the best mmo of all time :-).  Not to knock the newer generation of mmo players. But none of them have even the slightest clue of what a great mmo is. My wish is that our newer mmo players could have had a chance to play SWG at its finest.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by tawess

thank you

I only give it the trash it deserves... I was with it from beta to close down and the game was a buggy mess with more exploits and macro abuse than i have seen since.

It had a lot of good ideas, but the dev studio could not deliver on their vision. The only part of the game that saw development was combat.. and when your game is not even 50% combat.. that is not a good thing.

+1

I see too often people point to SWG as the template as to the way things should be without acknowledging just how bug ridden the game was.  SWG will always be one of my favorite MMOs for several reasons but I have no delusions on the various missteps the devs took, to include the Hologrind while simultaneously being inept at fixing a lot of issues.  To me the Hologrind was the first and biggest nail put into the coffin that started its decline along with the fact they put a Jedi class in the game to begin with.  The game was going fine in the first three months of the game and the GCW was going in full swing with daily Bestine and Anchorhead raids and some stuff on Naboo.  Then the first Jedi unlock happened and the game started to go downhill.  Seeing a Jedi run around with the name XxXclownXxX just made me shake my head in disgust at the whole thing.

The game was fun and I have many great memories from playing, but man it had some serious issues, bugs and bad design decisions that rose tinted nostalgia glasses seem to make invisible for some people.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Stars Wars Galaxies Pre-CU IMO is the BEST mmorpg ever. Even to this day there is nothing that compared. Many have tried and failed. The crafting/gathering/harvesting in SWG is the most fabulous, intricate and well designed crafting system of any mmo.

Someone should start a shout out post for the best mmo of all time :-).  Not to knock the newer generation of mmo players. But none of them have even the slightest clue of what a great mmo is. My wish is that our newer mmo players could have had a chance to play SWG at its finest.

They would hate it - as without !  most would say "this game sucks, there's nothing to do" and uninstall within the first 30 minutes.

The vast majority of newer MMO players equates quests with MMORPGs - because they've never played a sandbox game.

Statistically speaking that's what most people did back then too.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Why? Doesn't every game get dragged through the mud on this site? It's one of the reasons I still come here. 

SWG isn't the only game "reduced to petty leverage for negativity and cynicism." The entire pre-wow era is pretty much regarded as a whole through rose-tinted nostalgia goggles. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

+1 People point out the good things that SWG had. Those servers had real communities, and I think a lot of us miss that. 

You can only have this sort of community when a PvE centric sandbox game with real meaningful progression and social interaction is developed.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I agree, but remember, it was a different time for us gamers from that generation of mmorpg's.

I still play (you know what) and still enjoy it to this day.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Nice to take your personal opinion and state it as fact.  I personally think Asheron's Call was the best MMO ever made and SWG during the 2 week trial that I tried to like was fairly horrible.  Too much nonsense and non-combat activities.   I felt like I was playing a horrible life experience instead of pretending to be a hero or champion of the realm.  It did poorly because like the developers of SWTOR said, no one wanted to play as Uncle Owen, they wanted to play as Luke Skywalker and those were my sentiments exactly.  I feel and I am fairly confident that I am in the majority when I say combat is what most people play these types of games for, not the ability to act out a mundane real life person.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by rodingo

Originally posted by tawess

Originally posted by Foomerang Please stop tarnishing the memory of an old favorite. Stop using SWG to trash everything else. Thats not what the game was about. Your personal agendas dont justify turning a great game with fond memories into a martyr. It does a disservice to its legacy and goes against what it stood for. thank you
    I only give it the trash it deserves... I was with it from beta to close down and the game was a buggy mess with more exploits and macro abuse than i have seen since.   It had a lot of good ideas, but the dev studio could not deliver on their vision. The only part of the game that saw development was combat.. and when your game is not even 50% combat.. that is not a good thing.
    +1

I see too often people point to SWG as the template as to the way things should be without acknowledging just how bug ridden the game was.  SWG will always be one of my favorite MMOs for several reasons but I have no delusions on the various missteps the devs took, to include the Hologrind while simultaneously being inept at fixing a lot of issues.  To me the Hologrind was the first and biggest nail put into the coffin that started its decline along with the fact they put a Jedi class in the game to begin with.  The game was going fine in the first three months of the game and the GCW was going in full swing with daily Bestine and Anchorhead raids and some stuff on Naboo.  Then the first Jedi unlock happened and the game started to go downhill.  Seeing a Jedi run around with the name XxXclownXxX just made me shake my head in disgust at the whole thing.

The game was fun and I have many great memories from playing, but man it had some serious issues, bugs and bad design decisions that rose tinted nostalgia glasses seem to make invisible for some people.

Thats where Im at as well. The crafting and gathering in SWG was one of the most innovative and immersive I have experienced to date. But people seem to have chosen to forget that the overwhelming majority of items you could craft were either broken or useless. The overwhelming majority of resources had no value except for grinding out a crafting class. Most of the stats you could experiment with during the crafting process didnt matter. There were only a handful of actual best items that you could craft with all the stuff working properly.

Sure I could make a stat capped reinforced combat staff. But nobody would actually buy one. Unless they wanted to just have one for the sake of having one and putting it on their wall. Stuff like that was neat, but it definitely didnt make it "BEST EVAR".

I mastered every crafting profession in that game multiple times over nearly a decade. I mastered every other profession at least once. I played through every iteration of that game and did just about every bit of content that they made for it. It was one of the best games Ive ever played and also one of the worst haha.

But Ive also played some pretty awesome MMOs since then and have been a part of some amazing communities. I dont understand why some people refuse to let themselves be social again. Insisting its the games fault is just willful ignorance at this point.

I truly think that the main reason the community in SWG was so strong was that people were able to commiserate over how ridiculously broken that game was and everyone had a common enemy (soe). It created a bond. And weathering the shitstorm of bugs and abuse became a badge of honor. We all knew we were making the best of an incomplete game. Thats the true mystique of SWG and why it is regarded so highly now.

Yeah I said it. You all know its true lol

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

That's the biggest difference between the games back then and now. The players chose to make the best of it then. They looked past the flaws. Now they hunt for them to shine a big light on them and rush to the forums to be the first to post about how shitty this new game is.

It's no wonder they hate everything. How can you find anything good when all you do is look for the bad ?

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Poor SWG. My favorite MMO ever and one of the best games Ive played, is now reduced to petty leverage for negativity and cynicism. 

Yep, it's really annoying.  The two cliches people use to try and establish their gaming credentials quickly are 1)  slag off WoW and 2)  Praise SWG to the skies.  Both are laughably transparent ruses and extremely dead horses by now. 

Originally posted by DamonVile
    That's the biggest difference between the games back then and now. The players chose to make the best of it then. They looked past the flaws. Now they hunt for them to shine a big light on them and rush to the forums to be the first to post about how shitty this new game is.It's no wonder they hate everything. How can you find anything good when all you do is look for the bad ?

Exactly. Why isnt this more apparent? /boggle

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    [mod edit]

SWG pre-NGE was one of the most social games out there. Sure there were some bad servers where the community wasn´t the best, but most servers had a fantastic community.

I was on the Eclipse server and I had the best time I have ever had in an MMO! No other MMO I have played since has come even Close to the kind of community and social / Cooperation like in SWG.

Now every friggin MMO to date is focussed on solo experience, with Group content solely focussed on gear grinds that cause more grief than social interaction! :-(

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by immodium

[mod edit]

SWG pre-NGE was one of the most social games out there. Sure there were some bad servers where the community wasn´t the best, but most servers had a fantastic community.

I was on the Eclipse server and I had the best time I have ever had in an MMO! No other MMO I have played since has come even Close to the kind of community and social / Cooperation like in SWG.

Now every friggin MMO to date is focussed on solo experience, with Group content solely focussed on gear grinds that cause more grief than social interaction! :-(

+1 for nostalgia. Hopefully 'The Repopulation" turns out to be a decent game. I haven't found a game since SWG where I can be a musician and actually contribute to the community without having to take part in combat. I miss the cantinas and the atmosphere they had in pre-NGE SWG.

Here's to nostalgia! image