Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another $90 Ship. No game in sight yet.

KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

You can now buy another $90 ship, the Origin M50 Racer.

----

I got to give it to these guys, they know how to milk the audience every month with a new ship.

----

I wonder how many people work on these ships and the "commercials" for them and how many do work on the actual game.

Comments

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that they have 230+ people working on the game and that these ships need to be put into the game anyway.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Zezda
    Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that they have 230+ people working on the game and that these ships need to be put into the game anyway.

That doesn't change the fact that some people are paying upwards of a few hundred dollars - one ship at a time - for a game that they won't be able to play for a year or so. I mean, mad props to their devotion and all, but from the sidelines it seems like marketing is kicking ass and taking names at the fans' expense. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

That's even worse. You'd think 230 people could have turned out something better than what amounts to a brief interactive tech demo by now. Guess they're all too busy designing ships to sell for exorbitant prices.

Of course, after some sites dared to question the quality of the dogfight module which was for all intents and purposes rather lackluster despite being delayed, Roberts throws a hissy fit and slams the gaming press.

Doesn't really inspire confidence, you know? Hope it works out though.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    Worst part is that even now they are still working on AC with only people upto 250K allowed for Multiplayer. Even if you ignore the 6 months delay, they said that within 1-2 weeks of mid June everyone would be in the AC Multiplayer. It's August now and still stuck on AC.
  • C0br4rC0br4r Member Posts: 1
    I agree completely. The funny yet sad thing is that most people who support Star Citizen don't even realize that 90% of the game only exists on paper. The only thing they have to show for it is Arena Commander. They literally have nothing concrete done for the persistent universe save for planning and conceptualization, which is what the actual game is supposed to eventually be. I mean for god's sake they literally hired the persistent universe project lead only a month or two ago. Anyone with basic deduction or reasoning skills can see that either A) This game will end up being vaporware or B) this game will be vastly inferior to what was promised and nothing like it was advertised.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

That doesn't change the fact that some people are paying upwards of a few hundred dollars - one ship at a time - for a game that they won't be able to play for a year or so. I mean, mad props to their devotion and all, but from the sidelines it seems like marketing is kicking ass and taking names at the fans' expense. 

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    *** Sings to myself "Transformers, robots in disguise..." ***
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by C0br4r
    I agree completely. The funny yet sad thing is that most people who support Star Citizen don't even realize that 90% of the game only exists on paper. The only thing they have to show for it is Arena Commander. They literally have nothing concrete done for the persistent universe save for planning and conceptualization, which is what the actual game is supposed to eventually be. I mean for god's sake they literally hired the persistent universe project lead only a month or two ago. Anyone with basic deduction or reasoning skills can see that either A) This game will end up being vaporware or B) this game will be vastly inferior to what was promised and nothing like it was advertised.

The people that really follow the project are aware that the game is far from  done. Anyone expecting a game before at least 2 years is totally delusional.

The problem is a lot of people that don't follow a game and feel the need to comment on some stuff that filters thru, without knowing what is happening.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything.

Never said they did, but thank you for trying to contribute to the conversation. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    On the bright side Elite Dangerous is in beta 
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Yet another fundraiser for someone's new Ferrari/bonus/boat/house. Actually it seems fans are paying for any perks the higher ups think they deserve.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    I'm just glad that there seems to be a lot of ships at the launch. Also glad that there's a lot of ships that are not combat oriented primarily, or at all. That's all I really care about currently, the game will be released when it's ready and I'll see then how it holds up without any pre-payments from me.
  • kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Honestly all this whinning does more harm then good... rushing things is allmost never a good idea and honestly even if it will take them 3-4 years but the end result will be as they promised its totaly worth the waiting, and like some people said YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING its only for the people that got the cash and dont mind supporting this vision.
    Thinking of buying an early access game for playing rather then supporting is allmost always a bad idea ( altough i could give few exceptions... )

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Everyone knows this game will either be the biggest Sci-fi game ever or the biggest scam. The problem is KS games thus far have had horrible quality control, mostly due to lack of accountability. Half the reason people donate is to fore go alot of corporate greed that's poisoning all the new MMO's these days.

Unfortunatly with RSI's no-content ship making strategy, their greed is beginning impress EA themselves.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

If they build it, you will buy image

was.. going to post something.. but kept it short..

• CayllCayll Member UncommonPosts: 55

I understand where the OP is coming from on this, and I also understand the "It's our money" stance of the fans.

The issue I have with business practices like this is that it's becoming the norm in the entertainment industry, and it's a pretty scary thing. Kick starting, crowd funding, fan funding, whatever you want to call it, is a very dangerous path to go down as a consumer.

To put it into context. Let's say I own a restaurant. You all visit my restaurant and it's beautiful, nice paint job, nice furniture. A beautiful waiter/waitress comes over to you and charmingly offers you the most spectacular menu that you've ever seen. You're salivating looking at the food on the menu. You choose a few items off the menu, then the waiter/waitress says "Unfortunately we do not actually have any of this food, but if you want to pay for it now, we can get a team together and have them make the food, we will have it made within a few weeks, then you can come back, we will give you a VIP table and you get your drinks for free".

This is crowd funding. The problem is there isn't a legal guarantee with it. It's faith based buying. And it promotes companies to gouge you even more because it works. Next time you come back to my restaurant, I might tell you that the food is still not ready, but if you pay another $10, you get you keep your glass.

At the end of the day, you're down money, you're still hungry, and all you have is your "I ate at the Dirty Spoon Restaurant" sticker, even though you didn't.

So honestly, can we blame them for this type of business? We are the reason it's becoming the norm, because we live in a society of impulse buyers.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a bridge to sell....

• JackRubyJackRuby Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Are these ships part of the funding goals, or just put out for no reason?
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Anyone have proof of 230+ people working on the game and not just something someone else said? You would think with that kind of manpower they could churn out some proof of a game by now.
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Anyone have proof of 230+ people working on the game and not just something someone else said? You would think with that kind of manpower they could churn out some proof of a game by now.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13610-Monthly-Report-February-20

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

My view on this; I still believe this game will be a great game, in 4years, that said i was a early backer and iv given them 200$ of my own cash, I do not regret it one bit, I see my investment as a experiment, Im not paying for a game here, and I know this, its not like i walked into a resturant thinking i was gonna get food for my 200$, I knew from start what i was buying, and what I paid for is still in production. 

Because i follow the production closely I also know exactly where in production this game is, and how far away it is from being the game i want (about 4 years) this does not face me, or make me feel like i wasted my cash. 

Without people like me who are willing to pay for a dream, no innovation will ever be made in this area and we will get games like Elite:Dangerous, a game thats following a pretty standard model of game design, SC is taking risks, its route is a one unproven, and noone knows where it will really end up, and or if it will be any good when its finally released(about four years from now) and or if there will be other game at that time much better.

I willingly took a risk, and the number one reason I took that risk is because I personally believe in Chris Roberts vision, a fully immersive persistent universe a META-game to blow all other meta games out of the sky. 

And the META-game SC has already begun, the social aspect of the game is already entertaining me, and I have met alot of good people using their website tools.

Also if you buy these ships thinking your paying to get a advantage when the game releases your wrong. It has been stated many times that the ships ingame will be quite easy to obtain, and will not reflect their current monetary value. They will continue to put every asset they create for the universe up for backers as a option to get something for backing this project.

So instead of thinking your getting *fooled* by marketing, maybe, just maybe you should have done more research on what the project really is about before you hand out your cash thinking your buying something when your infact just sponsoring development of something that no producer today would risk investing in.

• teleriontelerion Member Posts: 6

I don't care how these "donators" spend their money, but giving millions to some pretty pictures and cartoons will seriously damage the future MMO industry. 

Companies are going to learn from this and charge ridiculous prices for games. Trion already charges $150 to alpha test ArcheAge. What next? 

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by telerion

giving millions to some pretty pictures and cartoons will seriously damage the future MMO industry. 

What part of playable multiplayer alpha can you not understand?

• Originally posted by fardreamer
    Without people like me who are willing to pay for a dream, no innovation will ever be made in this area and we will get games like Elite:Dangerous, a game thats following a pretty standard model of game design
    What is this I don't even?
  • JowLiWonJowLiWon Member UncommonPosts: 18

And so it begins agin when they release another ship for pepole who belives and misses this types of games. Do you honestly really think it is all marketing? You think this type of massive respons would have happen if they where to be making another fantasy mmo like WoW? 

There have been a few tries with good intentions but have not made it since SWG. BUT both from what I have seen, read and even played im still pretty confident this might work. And there for willing to take a risk as this is still something I want to play agin.

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by JackRuby
    Are these ships part of the funding goals, or just put out for no reason?

They are not part of any funding goals. These ships are put out to collect more money from fans.

Of cause everyone can decide for themselves if it's worth spending hundreds of dollars on spaceships that you can supposedly later acquire in the game (something i sincerely doubt because the temptation to keep this spaceship shop running must be pretty high).

----

They produce about 1 ship per month for around $50 - $200 a pop to keep the money flowing. It's smart move since people are more likely to spend smaller amounts monthly than one big sum up front.

----

However, I am seriously questioning their priorities since what they released so far was 8 months late, full of bugs and is not up to industry standards in any shape or form.

This discussion has been closed.