Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People still play this game? My review I guess. .

nhiscoolnhiscool Member Posts: 17

I found that it was a good game until you hit maybe 80+

Pros :

I liked the stun system, hit once each turn 3 times, stun on 4th hit (or was it 3rd?)

The front line tank, mage / archer backline concept 

More exp for grouping with players

Simple auction system, many ways to make money

Cool jackpot system for farming one item

Cons :

As soon as you hit level 95? or 90, the game slows down ALOT - So you won't progress as fast as you think you should be (with the level cap being what, 140 when I played?)

Gearing up takes a VERY long time.

New mercenaries and upgrading them gets very expensive. The numbers go into billions maybe?

The mercenaries aren't balanced at all, every time a new mercenary is released = instant OP / I win button

The enchanting system could be sped up for multiple items, Same applies to opening boxes

Generic quest line that is MANDATORY also put me off. I was a grinding kind of player lol

PvP :

The titan championships were really fun to watch as a newer player

Whenever a game has PvP, and you see certain characters 100-0 "too fast" it means the game dev's didn't think it through very well. Archers / Gunners died in 3 turns if they got focused down.

Some "main" characters were weaker than others, Ex : musician used to be super overpowered, then it was archer, then it was cannon, then it was swordsman, axe main,  spearman (when guan yu was released). Pretty much whenever they release a new mercenary, it comes with a broken unbalanced spell that one of the main characters can "learn".

The ranking system was. . 1 to 15 depending on the server population, I think I hit rank 7-10 before I bumped into the "standard" PvP compositions. Meaning - cash shop gunner, druid (late game mercenary - super expensive), vampire (cash shop musician that can row heal).

I think rank 4 and above you saw every "late game" mercenary, guan yu, athena, and the spartan tank (forgot his name), and druid for the front row root. Most players in 3+ were HEAVILY geared and skill didn't really matter at that point because of how much damage they did.

When players were equally skilled / farmed, luck played a huge roll in AO's PvP. Multi hits x4 pretty much easy win lol

I came for the PvP, spent a decent amount of money for mounts (some of them you can sell for a few billion), made good friends but left because of the frustration of higher ranks. 

My guild leader was a guy that stayed at level 120, because he said his gear was stronger than the 130 sets LOL

The second time I came back to AO - they made TBS more "mainstream" - and I felt that they rushed the development of it because of how long it took to even finish one TBS. Gear requirements etc were annoying to deal with in TBS, also the annoying playstyle it had of individually moving one character, hitting okay, accept, cycling through 9 mercenaries lol

To sum what TBS means - it is fire emblem with Atlantica online characters. .

To sum it all up, my main gripe about AO was the difference between player gear. Gearing up took way too long, there really wasn't a "cap" so someone playing for a year+ compared to someone playing for 3-5 months was huge. 

Kind of like how PvP was like in WoW, when you had to farm marks and honor for every piece of gear, except in AO you have 9 characters lol

Comments

• grindingamergrindingamer Member Posts: 65

Atlantica is still very popular, just isnt a game that has much awareness, sadly! I'm not sure if you've been keeping up with the latest news but they are REVAMPING the entire PvP format because I also feel the burn of getting destroyed by players much higher than me. If I were you, I would focus on leveling and waiting for the revamp as we need all the PvP (Smart players) to stay. What server are you on? Maybe I could help you!

• clearwingsclearwings Member Posts: 3

"I found that it was a good game until you hit maybe 80+" So  for how long have you played?  I get me new guild members to lv 100 in a couple of days if they want to power lv.

"As soon as you hit level 95? or 90, the game slows down ALOT - So you won't progress as fast as you think you should be (with the level cap being what, 140 when I played?)" - It happens in every game, early levels are faster, with a decent guild nowdays you get quick to 120-130. I started in the new European English Server Hyperion in April 9 and I am already 151 with a decent team (we got plenty of events to get good mercs). Mind that there are days I don't play, my average weekday playing is around 2h at tops can be more at weekends depending in what I am doing.

There are already players lv 164 that play more hours per day. If you know the game or you get good tips from your gl you will progress fine.

"New mercenaries and upgrading them gets very expensive. The numbers go into billions maybe?" At higher lvs you can earn billions as well, you don't need to have an all grade A team or upgrade all at once. As I said before if you have patience you will eventually get them in events.

"The mercenaries aren't balanced at all, every time a new mercenary is released = instant OP / I win button" - Not true, seams you don't know all the mercs in this game

"Generic quest line that is MANDATORY also put me off. I was a grinding kind of player lol" It is not mandatory at all, you only need to do the main questline until lv 20, then the lv 100 /120/130 upgrades. The main quest line has been revamped and you gain battle boxes that help you to get equiped, and merc orbs: monk, northen viking, dark archer, elementalist, oracle and beast trainer.

PVP: totally unbalanced at the moment and the devs are working on a revamp.

This game has ongoing events all year which can reduce to the minimum the use of Item mall if you have patience. Since I have been playing in Atlantica Europe I got mounts, wings, suits all free from events, and the following mercs: Jeon, Jessica, Harlequim, Patriot, Grim Brothers, Spartan, Pirate. Plenty of blessing licenses for 6 months of playing. There is auto-battle license and auto-search for fixed price in the market which you don't find in North America Version. Prices are decent, and equip boxes are very cheap.

"Gearing up took way too long, there really wasn't a "cap" so someone playing for a year+ compared to someone playing for 3-5 months was huge." This you can expect in every game but I can say in Euro AO I got over 2M might in 6 months which in American AO took me over 1.5y. And I have spent a lot less in IM ( a couple of boxes in begining for exp books to lv up fast and now just the promo package with blessing license and warrior package sales most of the times).

Support in Europe is much better than in USA I always get answers to the tickets in 2-3days if I file during the week. All my issues were also solved in decent amount of time. Item mall is better and cheaper. Events overall have better rewards.

This is the game I found with a decent community.  In my guild we basically throw gear to all the new players that get to lv 100, we give them equip boxes at 120 as well. The last 10 that got to 120 got 100 dragon god equip boxes each. 

Cons: the dcs that happen because the client as in USA version is old and not updated to handle the newest processors.

If you decide to visit AO europe, hoop on Hyperion and give a shout to Audacity. The server is quiet new so it is easy to catch up.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Really great game but my wallet can't handle it. :/
  • clearwingsclearwings Member Posts: 3

You don't need any money. As I said most events give you things for free, you just have to play and wait for them. At the moment the event in Europe gives mount, wings and suit for free and very good ones. Also ppl are helpful and you probably will end in your hands with a lot of free gear without even asking.

Most of my mercs I also got them in events, or bought them ingame. I have people in my guild that didn't spend a dime in IM and are doing fine.

Blessing licenses are given in events 2-3 times per year just stack on those, and there are moments they stop all licenses like in the hallowen event and give free blessing and wp bonus. Give it a try. Europe server has nothing to do with USA (except the glitches cause the devs are the same, but still we have less.)