Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(The Paul George Thread) MMO career ending injuries

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Hope Paul George recovers. But that reminds me. 

What's been some accidental career ending injuries in the MMO genre?

i know the NGE of SWG is one of the most popular career ending injuries in the MMO genre. But what are others?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Brad McQuaid's whole Pantheon Kickstarter scandal? 

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

There wasn't really any scandal.

People have been looking to shoot holes in anything Brad does for years. Even before the new game was announced people were starting massive flame threads talking about "opium addictions" and "Heroin addictions" and how he just quit Vanguard halfway through development, or no, he stayed on through the whole development, but fired everyone to take their bonus!

People invent the most INSANE bullshit about Brad, for reasons I don't quite understand. To me, Vanguard was a big mess, and he was partially to blame (I blame Microsoft a lot more), but he still delivered the only halfway decent high budget MMO in the last 9 years.

The paranoia and myth crafting going on is akin to the Darkfall "vaporware" days when you had people stalking the devs, google mapping the offices, declaring "IT'S ALL A HOAX, THERE'S NO BUILDING AT THAT ADDRESS IN ATHENS!" only to learn they'd mistranslated the building names from Greek...

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

For me it's the stuff that never really got started. And, the after effects that it has on countless people, which we don't hear much about when these things go down. I've talked before on here about CCP canceling development on world of darkness. What I don't think I mentioned, is that they laid off around 50 employees in the process.  That's one failing with a lot of potential career enders. Hopefully, the 'little guy' that gets let go over this kind of stuff lands on their feet.

But, in these kind of discussions we tend to focus on big names. And, tend to forget (or at least not make too much mention of the fact) that it is rarely one person who takes the full force of the hit. What if each time one of these big fails happens. There also occurs the crushing of the hopes and dreams of the next potential Shigeru Miyamoto or David Jones.

Also...I am not familiar with this Paul George.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

How is that lead developer from SW:TOR doing? Denis(?)... something or other.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

There wasn't really any scandal.

People have been looking to shoot holes in anything Brad does for years. Even before the new game was announced people were starting massive flame threads talking about "opium addictions" and "Heroin addictions" and how he just quit Vanguard halfway through development, or no, he stayed on through the whole development, but fired everyone to take their bonus!

People invent the most INSANE bullshit about Brad, for reasons I don't quite understand. To me, Vanguard was a big mess, and he was partially to blame (I blame Microsoft a lot more), but he still delivered the only halfway decent high budget MMO in the last 9 years.

The paranoia and myth crafting going on is akin to the Darkfall "vaporware" days when you had people stalking the devs, google mapping the offices, declaring "IT'S ALL A HOAX, THERE'S NO BUILDING AT THAT ADDRESS IN ATHENS!" only to learn they'd mistranslated the building names from Greek...

What happened with Sigil is not bullshit and it's probably not to hard to debunk fact from fiction given how much coverage and testimonies reputable sites were putting up. Nothing but mismanagement on his part.  SOE saved that game, end story. There really was a scandal. Certainly as far as how some employees were told / found out.

The Darkfall vaporware spill was being massively pushed by Star Vault supporters and staff.  Mortal Online was going to crush Darkfall. Some to this day are still posting in the MO forums not letting people forget. I think at times people were a  bit skeptical in general because information was slow from Aventurine SA. Pretty much how the Cult of the White Border crap or whatever joke started up.  It was the only thing to change on the site for a long time if I recall correctly.

Edit: Just briefly I found http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/71824-Ex-Sigil-Employee-Speaks-Out  I went to a few others I recalled / saw some seemed dead or gone.  Might be cached somewhere. I just don't care enough to search for them. To say that there wasn't a scandal isn't fair. Have people speculated or exaggerated? No doubt. If the goal is to be objective then lets be objective about the situation instead of trying to blame big bad Microsoft. Brad screwed up. End of story. It was his company. His game. He was in charge.

• AylChicoAylChico Member Posts: 3
    I climbed to the top of the Thump Dump Thumper Launching Tower in Firefall, and tried to glide down, hit a crossbeam, fell to my death like 20 seconds of falling later. XD Oh wait, is that what you meant by MMO injury?
  • bigronbigron Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

How is that lead developer from SW:TOR doing? Denis(?)... something or other.

Probably fine. Believe it or not, the game was profitable. Of course, I called that at launch and made buckets of money off the stock. Wedbush didn't. Their loss. The game box/digital sales covered almost half of the budget.

Fwiw, EA own the license through 2023. As long as they cover server costs and release a nibble here and there for the audience, SWTOR's a gravy train from here on.

I'm not saying I like it, mind you.

• LalapaseoLalapaseo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by AylChico
    I climbed to the top of the Thump Dump Thumper Launching Tower in Firefall, and tried to glide down, hit a crossbeam, fell to my death like 20 seconds of falling later. XD Oh wait, is that what you meant by MMO injury?

Lolwut. And it's just called a Watchtower, if that's what you mean in FF.