Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMOs would make good movies??

JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

We see games being made into movies before, but for whatever reason the MMO genre never gets the "Acclaim" required to generate enough demand for a movie. Now I don't buy into the MMO doom and gloom, in fact I would say all video/pc games have lacked in innovation the past few years...

Back to the subject at hand; if you could see a few MMOs make the big screen (and with large production budgets :D ) which would you choose and why?

Me personally,

WoW: Which I assume will actually be a reality within the next few years. I hope it really captures the true essence of Warcraft and doesn't change it into something that it isn't. From what I read, Orcs aren't going to be the "bad guys" in a typical fashion, so that is a start. I do also hope they focus or at least present the other races and cultures of Azeroth in this film.

The Secret World: This would almost never happen, ( the illuminati in Hollywood wouldn't allow it hehe) but I envision it as the Matrix fused with National Treasure. I think it could seriously be an awesome trilogy with each faction as the main focus of each film.

FFXIV: I would love to have the excellent story of FFXIV on the big screen, even CGI would be ok. I think the storytelling was lacking in the game. It felt like it was being told almost as if it was a Children's novel. If they made it mature while keeping it's charm, I would be ecstatic.

Runners Up: RIFT: The lore is fantastic, but the game mucks it up, especially Vanilla Rift. Love the elements and their own themes that they present. Faceless man is TOO badass, he is on the ultimate self-redemption quest. Could be epic in 3D too or just eye-candy in general.

Wildstar: Didn't enjoy this game, but for some reason I could totally see this being a witty, violent, hilarious, scifi/action/comedy. I think it would be a blast with talented writing and screenplay. It would be a Pixar film for a more mature audience. 

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

My vote goes to TSW, then again... that one would probably work better as a tv series, a lot would get lost if they compressed it all into one movie. Or they could make a gazillion of them like the Resident Evil series. :P

I didn't play Wildstar, but it practically looks like a PIXAR movie already, so why not.

And of course WoW, who's movie finally seems like it's becoming a reality.

If the World of Warcraft movie becomes a success you can count on ambitious directors looking towards other MMO's to mimick it, like they do with everything that's sucessful.

So who knows, we could be seeing an upsurge of MMO-inspired movies in a few years from now. (Most of whom will probably suck big time lol)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

My vote goes to TSW, then again... that one would probably work better as a tv series, a lot would get lost if they compressed it all into one movie. Or they could make a gazillion of them like the Resident Evil series. :P

I didn't play Wildstar, but it practically looks like a PIXAR movie already, so why not.

If the World of Warcraft movie becomes a success you can count on ambitious directors looking towards other MMO's to mimick it, like they do with everything that's sucessful.

So who knows, we could be seeing an upsurge of MMO-inspired movies in a few years from now. (Most of whom will probably suck big time lol)

You're right, TSW would probably be a better series. I would even like to see a television series that goes along with an MMO (and better acted than Defiance on Syfy) that also correlates with patches and new content that they introduce to the show and the game at roughly the same time. Would be an interesting way to experience a world like that.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

An animated tv series (like the Clone Wars) connected to an MMO would be great IMO. Probably easier to do the back and forth as well.

Defiance does a pretty decent job as a trailblazer, they are the first to try it after all. It doesn't help that I'm not a huge shooter fan, so my playtime with the game is limited. The show's alright. Not the best I've ever seen, but certainly not the worst either. I like it enough to keep watching it every week after all, and I hope they keep it going for a while. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

An animated tv series (like the Clone Wars) connected to an MMO would be great IMO. Probably easier to do the back and forth as well.

Defiance does a pretty decent job as a trailblazer, they are the first to try it after all. It doesn't help that I'm not a huge shooter fan, so my playtime with the game is limited. The show's alright. Not the best I've ever seen, but certainly not the worst either. I like it enough to keep watching it every week after all, and I hope they keep it going for a while. image

The first episode of Defiance was fantastic, but couldn't hold my attention after that, who knows maybe I should have continued watching.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Honestly, I opened this thread to see if any one said something to the effect of  "LotRO...oh wait."

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I guess the ide is choosing an MMO that's not based on an already existing IP.

It should have some decent lore, an attractive world and some hero of some kind somewhere. Mmmmm

Well, EVE could do it, sci-fi alwats works, heh. Ryzom has an interesting world and lore. Argo and Allods are (imo) mediocre as games, but the world could work well in a movie I guess.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Not exactly an MMO for me, but about RPG gamers. I really liked the "Fear of Girls" guys. I could picture them in a potentially funny movie. These two videos have been posted here before, but if you haven't seen them yet...

Fear of Girls episode 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmgLOKRl5J0

Fear of Girls episode 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP3GYdrW450

• TolandToland Member CommonPosts: 38

EvE Online. Epic Space Movie!

The Clear Skies Series though was made with G-mod. Is a good example with what you could do with that IP.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Elder Scrolls
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Not active anymore but I think Warhammer Online would make a good movie. Probably because I enjoyed playing the roleplaying game so much when I was young. There is something about the lore, the world, the classes etc that I love. Just writing this made me want to dig up my old roleplaying book again. :)
  • hopeguadahopeguada Member Posts: 3

Wildstar made me wanna post, it's got that Space Cowboy vibe of Cowboy Bebop I've been missing! I want a space frontier movie!

• cmayuga13cmayuga13 Member Posts: 15

WoW of course, because Jaena. and Illidan.

But Wildstar, as the game currently is right now, could pass for an animated movie already, who wouldn't wanna see bunny ears! lots of them!

Some good ones for sure. Elder Scrolls though, idk... it would take a real genius to make that into a film and really capture the immersion required for it to FEEL like Elder Scrolls. I am completely ok with just ES games, as long as they keep setting the bar for attention to detail, story and immersion. That being said, it would be awesome if done correctly, no doubt.

I did forget Blade and Soul, that would be a fantastic and beautifully artistic game to recreate in film or CGI, but preferably live actors. The cast of characters and spiritual/magical/martial arts theme are wonderful even if the game falls short in a few areas.

Originally posted by lindhsky
    Not active anymore but I think Warhammer Online would make a good movie. Probably because I enjoyed playing the roleplaying game so much when I was young. There is something about the lore, the world, the classes etc that I love. Just writing this made me want to dig up my old roleplaying book again. :)

i like Warhammer a lot too. I enjoyed Warhammer Online at it's peak popularity. fond memories...