Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO gamers don't all want the same thing

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
I get really tired of the way some threads and articles, with extreme naivety, assume that all or most MMOers want the same thing.  A more realistic and useful approach might be to try to map out the factions among MMO gamers.  What kind of factions have you all observed?  Sandbox vs. Themepark?  Questing vs. No questing?  PvP vs. PvE?  Helpy maps and quest compasses vs. the player has to work to not be lost?  Minigames vs. no minigames?  World marketplace vs. player shops?
I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

The ones you said plus sub vs cash shop and a few more. Is anyone saying that everybody wants the same thing though? Most people just want a game that caters to their playstyle. Currently 95% of MMOs out there cater to some variation of the themepark crowd so if you don't like that it's kind of hard to find a game (at least outside of EVE and Wurm).

So obviously you don't have themepark fans starting threads asking for more themeparks because they already have a ton to choose from.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well, personally I like subscription games. However, none really feel like they are worth my investment. Wow is only good for a month max (for me) until they update something else and then maybe get another month out of me. F2p games that have a subscription I personally can't get behind because I still have to buy stuff in the cash shop to get access to certain things depending on the game. Expansion content such as classes/content/races I can understand, but honestly boosts and the like should be permanent if I'm paying a sub. Just my opinion.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Originally posted by iridescence

The ones you said plus sub vs cash shop and a few more. Is anyone saying that everybody wants the same thing though? Most people just want a game that caters to their playstyle. Currently 95% of MMOs out there cater to some variation of the themepark crowd so if you don't like that it's kind of hard to find a game (at least outside of EVE and Wurm).

So obviously you don't have themepark fans starting threads asking for more themeparks because they already have a ton to choose from.

Honestly, you do have themepark fans asking for more themeparks, because, while there are a ton of themeparks to choose from, most of them, like most MMOs in general, are steaming piles of shit.

At the very least, no game can perfectly fit what any given player wants. It's only natural to ask for more games of the sort in hopes that one WILL be closer to the mark. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DMKano

Once I start to see mostly the negative - for me it's a sign to move on to something else.

Yeah. And some act as if unless you hate modern MMOs, you don't like MMO at all, which is a strange contradiction.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I would find it hard to believe that you could get 2 people to agree what they want in an MMO, never mind whole groups.    That is pretty obvious when the old "what is a sandbox? " thread pops up again.    I haven't found 2 people that agree on that yet.

What bugs me more than the obvious we don't all want the same thing,   is that even when we are given something close to what we want, we nitpick and tear it apart and start expounding on how this could have been better, and that should have been added, etc. etc.

Instead of just playing some games and having fun.

The better question to ask might be:   Why are MMO gamers so critical of games?    Who died and made everyone an armchair expert in what makes a good MMO?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Boneserino

The better question to ask might be:   Why are MMO gamers so critical of games?    Who died and made everyone an armchair expert in what makes a good MMO?

I think it had to do with internet echo chambers which validate and amplify any gripes people have about games. Like I've been pretty focused on one specific MMO for a few  months. I'm sure if I went to the forums for that game on this site I'd  see 25 threads about how various aspects of the game suck. Then next time I logged in I'd start to notice and focus on some of those things myself rather than the things I like about the game and my enjoyment of the game would be lessened.

People just have to accept that no game will ever be perfect and find one that's relatively good to enjoy but internet forums make it tough to do that if you follow them.

• EclecticSkyDirtEclecticSkyDirt Member Posts: 14
    IT IS actually irritating to have to read a lot of complaints about games, most especially when it's a game that you're currently enjoying without any qualms whatsoever. And a lot of them just nitpick, though mostly it's more on complaining about features that they're not comfortable with or those that are present in another game and they just wish their current "whipping boy" game had, as well. You can't really blame game developers for this, as you can't please all the people all the time.
  • EclecticSkyDirtEclecticSkyDirt Member Posts: 14
    Like say, I enjoy playing WildStar and just wanted to share this with people, and I get bashed because I think the game is great? If there were really issues to be addressed about it or if there's a contrary opinion, at least show respect for the opinion and be able to discuss it in a healthy manner. :)
  • kachungb00kachungb00 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by iridescence
    Originally posted by Boneserino

I think it had to do with internet echo chambers which validate and amplify any gripes people have about games. Like I've been pretty focused on one specific MMO for a few  months. I'm sure if I went to the forums for that game on this site I'd  see 25 threads about how various aspects of the game suck. Then next time I logged in I'd start to notice and focus on some of those things myself rather than the things I like about the game and my enjoyment of the game would be lessened.

People just have to accept that no game will ever be perfect and find one that's relatively good to enjoy but internet forums make it tough to do that if you follow them.

Agree, I just came from another thread about how reviews don't matter unless you have the same opinion as the reviewer. Funny how Wildstar was the example used (it's generally good, not really as polarizing as ESO - which is IMHO both a disappointment and a good game, depending on what you're looking for). It's the general internet and its penchant for negative amplification. Well, if you think about it, it's in the real world too, it's easy to sensationalize bad things rather than the good.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    What would be easiest is to make a massive game with different rules for each zone.  The only ones f*ed would be people who hate zones.