Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Design your MMO

cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Design your MMO using some of the core elements from current or former MMOS.

Questing/Leveling experience

Combat style

Art style

World design

Classes/Player customization

Crafting experience

PvP experience

World PvP experience

End game experience/systems

Lore / Story

Economy

Social experience

Audio

Quality of Life systems

Comments

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Originally posted by cesmode8

Combat style

Art style

World design

Crafting experience

PvP experience

World PvP experience

Lore / Story

Economy

Social experience

Audio

Quality of Life systems

For me...

Questing/Leveling experience - GW2

Combat style - Tera(or Wildstar...cannot decide.  Probably Tera)

Art style - GW2

World design - GW2

Classes/Player customization - Neverwinter

Crafting experience - GW2

PvP experience - WoW

World PvP experience - GW2

End game experience/systems - Rift (would be GW2 if they didn't focus on Living Story...finding out I cannot be a part of a raiding endgame anymore).  Honestly, no game has a truely appealing endgame.

Lore / Story - WoW

Economy - WoW

Social experience - GW2

Audio - WoW/Neverwinter

Quality of Life systems - WoW

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    What if a lot of the things I want in my MMO have never been done in a commercial game, whether MMO or otherwise?  Restricting yourself to mix and match from current, mainstream games is a way to get clones.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by cesmode8

EverQuest II

Combat style

Call of Duty Crispness for Ranged / The Force Unleashed for Melee

Art style

Black Desert Realism

World design

Star Wars Galaxies

Star Wats Galaxies

Crafting experience

Star Wars Galaxies

PvP experience

EverQuest II World PvP (No Battlegrounds)

World PvP experience

EverQuest II World PvP (No Battlegrounds)

EverQuest II Raiding / Star Wars Galaxies "Living World Economy"

Lore / Story

Very Basic - Just a setting

Economy

Star Wars Galaxies

Social experience

Star Wars Galaxies

Audio

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Quality of Life systems

Star Wars Galaxies

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    What if a lot of the things I want in my MMO have never been done in a commercial game, whether MMO or otherwise?  Restricting yourself to mix and match from current, mainstream games is a way to get clones.

Although nothing I designed would be a clone, I have the same issue, there's no MMO whose lore I like enough to emulate.  Nor an MMO with a player customization system that combines all the elements I'd want.  And what does world design mean?  The physical layout of the world?  The lore personality of the world?  The genre and mood of the world?

Combat style - Dofus (turn-based tactical)

Art style - Fantasy with a bit of an anime flavor, like the latest Final Fantasy MMO or Perfect World.  Semi-realistic, angular, colorful, lots of anthro elements and punk hair in unnatural colors and crystals.

Crafting experience - A Tale In the Desert.  Crafting focus is on the player crafting a house, storage, appliances, and other items for themself, not to be sold to others.  Crafting activity is a mix of sim and minigame play.

The rest are pretty difficult to answer with something from a currently existing MMO, not to mention that I haven't played every MMO out there to know which has which elements.  I'm sure there must be an MMO out there which has a world auctionhouse which does not have sell fees, for example, but I don't know which game that might be.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • FingzFingz Member UncommonPosts: 139

Take Minecraft add a massively multiplayer aspect to it.  Just like Minecraft you start with nothing and have to harvest and craft everything.

Free for all PvP.  People can group up and build keeps and castles just like in Minecraft.

Minecraft has 10 million players in North America alone. 

Only thing is there is probably a game out there like this or it's being built.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

LotRO with Black Desert character graphics, SWG decay based crafting (keep LotRO crafting, it works fine it just needs decay)

I'm happy as a pig in shit.

• nonstopaznonstopaz Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I dont always post, but when i do its really serious
    i want Lineage 3 on latest(4?) unreal engine
  • SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203
    EVE Online meta warfare and politics in a medieval fantasy setting.  Essentially, Game of Thrones.  Sandbox, political intrigue.  A story event in the beginning that allows newly formed 'Families' to form and take up ownership of parts of the world.  And from then on it would be up to the players to create the conflict.  Be a peon, or be a legend.  It's up to the player how deep they go.
  • Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I would just write Black Desert all the way down :D
  • berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162

So let's see...

I think something like a mix of Anarchy Online, Ryzom and Vanguard. Have missions with entrance points and randomly generated instances for you/your party, open world dungeons, mobs to go after and world bosses. Not decided if I'd go for practising (use things to get better), or the AO like "Level and get points to spend. Costs vary on your basic education (class), but you can just spend anywhere you like" You would lose unsaved Exp on death down to 0 for that level. On the other hand you would get bonus XP for not saving. Like every 10% of a level you make unsaved nets you 1% bonues XP, but getting you to risk 99% to the next level for 9% extra.

Combat style

Sorry, I'm old school: Tab target with class depending skills/spells

Art style

Undecided. I like either Ryzom style comic stuff, or more gritty realistic graphics.

World design

Either Spacefaring (Think of Spelljammer, where the spaceships actually look like ships), dark steampunk or cyberpunk.

Either fully skillbased or the AO way, which was deep and complex, complete with trikle-down from attributes to skills.

Crafting experience

Ryzom style. Harvest, kill and gather materials to create stuff, with different materials having different effects, strengths and weaknesses.

PvP experience

Flag system, with some areas being open, some optional stations that are open for conquering every X hours and give your faction some extras (AO Tower Wars).

World PvP experience

See above

Complex world bosses, that you can't even dream fo defeating when you start, or even reach end level. Levelling would be slower anyway and reaching max lvl should be an achievment. Gather the hardest crafting ingredients, those fields to conquer could throw off some crafting mats, too. Do something to be known! Explore new and dangerous regions to find new stuff (expansions would enlargen the regions, depending on what players do, GM mastered events that influence the world, like players do not fight the plague? Well bye bye village X with all the benefits and players need to rebuild it slowly)

Lore / Story

Deep and rich, depending on the setting. Spacefaring pirates and explorers on their ships, journeying out to space to get new ressources and fame. Emerging industrialism counters magic, dangers of science or magic, the fickle balance of the world. Cyberpunk: A dark fallen world, owned by big corporates, or a new world we need to explore.

Economy

Mostyl player driven and crafted.

Social experience

Interdependencies. Buffs to help each other (think of AO), better of teaming for harder missions (Which would have sliders to set to your tastes and the challenge you want) and do not think to takle a real big world boss alone. Team work would be needed here, if possible even several teams managing their cooperation (like distraction team A, Assault team B and so on)

Audio

Anything to support the atmosphere. Dark and eerie chants/synths for dungeons, adventurious sounds for exploring, depressing wall fo sounds in dark skyscraper valleys.. Set the mood!

Quality of Life systems

Housing/banking. Manage your own appartment/house, setup a player store, things like that.

I think all in all that's all. I came from teh P&P backround that's why I would aim for a world, not a game. You are not a special little snowflake, but part of the world!